Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Phlegmish posted:

I ain't scared of no orca.

Can they do this?

A large enough orca, yes. large splashing is a primary skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Phlegmish posted:

Can they do this?

No. Can you?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/Iqefz83.gifv

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Yes we can! Did you miss all the press on it over the last few decades? It's not cool any more though - I was into it when these things were all underground.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Can they, as a species, do it? Nope.
Can we, as a species, do it? Hell yes.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Phlegmish posted:

Can they do this?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Gotta nuke somethin'.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

More likely it had time to think "Oh no not again".

I'm thinking it's just going WOO WOO WOOO Wooooo like Curly from the three stooges.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's time these self-proclaimed killer whales got a taste of their own medicine.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A maneuver like this puts a lot of water molecules into contact with the hull which can lead to rapid disintegration of the ship.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Huh?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

Can they do this?

Maybe if they has opposable thumbs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

There were some issues.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Decrepus posted:

A maneuver like this puts a lot of water molecules into contact with the hull which can lead to rapid disintegration of the ship.

In the sense that it was in the water when it did the maneuver, yes it is in contact with a lot of water molecules. Water is not compressible, so it is in contact with roughly the same amount that it always is.

:goonsay:

They're dissolving because the Navy and a new contractor built them on the cheap.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Obviously skidding around like that is gonna put a lot of wear and tear on the boat tires. From the water molecules scraping against them.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Panfilo posted:

Obviously skidding around like that is gonna put a lot of wear and tear on the boat tires. From the water molecules scraping against them.

That's Sea of Japan son, them's drift boat tires.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

They'd get a much sharper exit if they leaned on the nitrous halfway though. Wtf are they teaching boat drivers these days?

fe:

Maybe a more sane alternative to global thermonuclear war would be capital ship drifting races.

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 20:50 on May 18, 2016

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
It's great seeing a naval architect's reaction to that sort of thing. Hint: It isn't good for the ship!

Pretty much the only way you can achieve something like this is to run one of the ship's propellers in reverse. When that happens there is a ridiculous amount of strain on all the propeller shafts, which bends them out of alignment. Realigning them requires half a year in a drydock.

Not to mention the fact that the ships were never designed to take the strains of the propellers acting against each other, and that the water flow becomes horrendously turbulent which will cause even more cavitation and wreck the propellers.

It does look very cool, though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Umm.. no? That's just a normal high speed turn. They are going fast and turn the rudder all the way in one direction.

The only time they ever reverse one shaft against the other is for doing very tight low speed maneuvers at the dock, and there really isn't any strain involved. At high speed the drag from the reversed propeller would cause the ship to slow down really fast, not turn really fast and sharp.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Really if they want to impress us they should ramp one of those motherfuckers.

elendilmir
Apr 19, 2005

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

They'd get a much sharper exit if the leaned on the nitorus halfway though. Wtf are they teaching boat drivers these days?

fe:

Maybe a more sane alternative to global thermonuclear war would be capital ship drifting races.

Every time I see that clip, I see the end of "Battleship".

/Yep. We're all gonna die. You're gonna die, I'm gonna die. But not today.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

elendilmir posted:

Every time I see that clip, I see the end of "Battleship".

/Yep. We're all gonna die. You're gonna die, I'm gonna die. But not today.

Hong on, I'mma gonna handbrake turn this 40,000t motherfucking battleship

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also known as 'club hauling'. I know they do it in Battleship and Pirates of the Caribbean.

I'm guessing doing it in real life, with a 40,000t vessel traveling at 33+kts would probably just wrench the bow off from the strain

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

All I'm hearing are a lot of words of caution over pulling of high speed turns in the decommissioned Brazillian-to-Goon owned Aircraft carrier.

gently caress you I'm gonna drift this bad boy anyway.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Everyone shut up. That's obviously what happens when you hit the Tokyo Rift.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Everyone shut up. That's obviously what happens when you hit the Tokyo Rift.

You told everyone to shut up so you could make a stupid Pacific Rim joke?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Tokyo Drift pun, dingus.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"Ever drift a small town?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc4QWKwwRr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4KnCqcTEOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Decrepus posted:

wrong

loving retarded issues by people who should have known better, this is a construction issue not a usage issue

holy gently caress they didn't even put cathodic protection on it :lol::lol::lol:

Plucky Brit posted:

It's great seeing a naval architect's reaction to that sort of thing. Hint: It isn't good for the ship!

Pretty much the only way you can achieve something like this is to run one of the ship's propellers in reverse. When that happens there is a ridiculous amount of strain on all the propeller shafts, which bends them out of alignment. Realigning them requires half a year in a drydock.

Not to mention the fact that the ships were never designed to take the strains of the propellers acting against each other, and that the water flow becomes horrendously turbulent which will cause even more cavitation and wreck the propellers.

It does look very cool, though.

nope, haha your post owns

Plucky Brit posted:

ever heard of a thing called sea trials? a turn like this HAS to be done to see how the ship will react
here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_trial

Plucky Brit posted:

dude that is the most wrong thing in this thread wtf

Plucky Brit posted:

technically true about the cavitation but are you just making this poo poo up? if for whatever reason one shaft is turning against the other, it's only going to be for a short time and nowhere near long enough to do any real damage via cavitation
wait
AHHAHAHAHAH these are powered by waterjets anyway not props
here have a read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump-jet
as you'll see they're actually specifically designed to go into 'reverse' for braking purposes, trust me it's not an issue
as mentioned in the article about sea trials THEY DO A CRASH STOP FOR TESTING. THIS DOES NOT DESTROY THE PROPELLOR which these vessels don't even have.

The Locator posted:

Umm.. no? That's just a normal high speed turn. They are going fast and turn the rudder all the way in one direction.

The only time they ever reverse one shaft against the other is for doing very tight low speed maneuvers at the dock, and there really isn't any strain involved. At high speed the drag from the reversed propeller would cause the ship to slow down really fast, not turn really fast and sharp.

more or less

Panfilo posted:

Also known as 'club hauling'. I know they do it in Battleship and Pirates of the Caribbean.

I'm guessing doing it in real life, with a 40,000t vessel traveling at 33+kts would probably just wrench the bow off from the strain

the chain would snap first

Comrade Blyatlov has a new favorite as of 09:00 on May 22, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Two Finger posted:

loving retarded issues by people who should have known better, this is a construction issue not a usage issue

Maybe read up the article I posted and you'll see that the original plan called for corrosion protection and the bean counters told them not to include it.

quote:

Lots of things have been left off the LCS in order to keep the price down. The list of deleted items includes something called a “Cathodic Protection System,” which is designed to prevent electrolysis

Memento has a new favorite as of 09:13 on May 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*Ship turns*
Goons: SHIPS CAN'T TURN OMG

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Two Finger posted:

wrong

holy gently caress they didn't even put cathodic protection on it :lol::lol::lol:

nope, haha your post owns

ever heard of a thing called sea trials? a turn like this HAS to be done to see how the ship will react
here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_trial

dude that is the most wrong thing in this thread wtf

technically true about the cavitation but are you just making this poo poo up? if for whatever reason one shaft is turning against the other, it's only going to be for a short time and nowhere near long enough to do any real damage via cavitation
wait
here have a read
as you'll see they're actually specifically designed to go into 'reverse' for braking purposes, trust me it's not an issue
as mentioned in the article about sea trials THEY DO A CRASH STOP FOR TESTING. THIS DOES NOT DESTROY THE PROPELLOR which these vessels don't even have.

more or less

the chain would snap first

You seem like a giant dickhead

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
It seems to me the guy boldly giving out fake facts is the dickhead.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
One of my favorites in a long list of chinny dutch kickboxing berserkers:

https://youtu.be/x3zLvNg3OLc

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Two Finger posted:

here have a read

What? That's a Type-21 Frigate which definitely does not use pump-jets. Where are you getting that from?

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The guy going on about melting hulls in response to that frigate gif linked to the LCS debacle as his justification, ignoring that's it's an entirely different type and class of ship, built from different materials operated by a different country.

Here's a old boat that miraculously hasn't disintegrated due to contact with water molecules.

Almirante Grau. Supposedly the last gun based cruiser in operation. Laid down in 1939! for the Netherlands navy, just in time for the German invasion. Finally finished 14 years later and sold to the Peruvian navy in 1973 who still operate it.

AlexanderCA has a new favorite as of 16:06 on May 22, 2016

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
I thought his initial comment was KenM-esque

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
One of the stupider things about the LCS hull corrosion issue is that the Australian ferry company building them has tried to blame the Navy for causing the corrosion. "Manufacturer's warranty void if ship is placed in water."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Tokyo Drift pun, dingus.

It was still insanely bad.