Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Given that everyone's going to do it day 1 anyway, why not just give us a button that brings all your navies, armies and air wings to a specific place for reorganisation? Always seems a bit dumb to watch Daniel do that as his first action and it takes about 20 clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

It's kind of amazing that you can already get a key for this game already. I didn't get my Stellaris key until release day.

Gort posted:

Given that everyone's going to do it day 1 anyway, why not just give us a button that brings all your navies, armies and air wings to a specific place for reorganisation? Always seems a bit dumb to watch Daniel do that as his first action and it takes about 20 clicks.

Wasn't he just setting where he wanted completed ships to spawn? I thought the other guy was handling the existing navy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really want to buy HoI4 but like Stellaris i know it will be unplayable garbage for at least a year so i'm counting on you goons to pre-order the 80 euro pack to give paradox enough money to finance all the patches and expansions that will turn both games into the 500 gameplay hour classics i know and love.

TheMcD posted:

When the delays happened and people were happy because they figured that this would mean the game would get more polish, Paradox got some signals crossed.

This is possibly the best post in the thread.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I wasn't talking about the latest stream specifically (though you did see it when he was disbanding all his air wings), but you're pretty much always going to want to bring your navy and airforce in for reorganisation on day 1, so why not make it easy?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mans posted:

I really want to buy HoI4 but like Stellaris i know it will be unplayable garbage for at least a year so i'm counting on you goons to pre-order the 80 euro pack to give paradox enough money to finance all the patches and expansions that will turn both games into the 500 gameplay hour classics i know and love.

Stellaris was a new IP though... they've been doing HoI games for a while so it's likely that the release will be much less flawed than Stellaris was, in my opinion

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mans posted:

Hoi 4 looks significantly more together than sterllaris in my opinion.

That said, never preorder. Always wait for reviews and streams before buying it. If they don't allow reviews to come out before the game comes out its because it's not well put together and they don't deserve your money.

Watching a few streams if sterllaris for the 3-4 days before it came out made it pretty clear the game was 2-3 months from being done.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
stellaris had a bug so its def not worth any money

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Paradox goons: Are you guys able to give specifications for flag dimensions in HoI4? I'd like to start getting to work on my mod but don't want to gently caress up the dimensions.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there a EU4 mod that removes the random bullshit stability drop events like "warriors don't read books"? Maybe removing some of the random +1 stab events to balance it? There is nothing more frustrating than burning a shitload of admin points only to get that event twice in 3 years.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
just open the console and type in stability 1 after they fire if they bother you that much

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Empress Theonora posted:

But... co-op would still be played against the AI???

For some reason I read co-op as multiplayer versus.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Tuskin38 posted:

Looks like it might be HOI4 pre-orders going live

https://steamdb.info/app/394360/subs/

Most of the updated subs are only available in specific zones, russia, south america. etc. Places where you can't trade between.

It seems to be a... chose your own adventure?!

quote:

Game Book: Hearts of Iron:
War Stories is a Gamebook, a branching narrative where the players choices matter. Your decisions influence which skills you learn, your relationships with other characters and even the story’s outcome. The first of these Warstories is written by Aaron Rosenburg and features a young British RAF pilot during the Battle of Britain.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Or a dating sim

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

So is there a reason that the Mac GPU min requirements for HOI4 are a lot higher than windows min requirements? As well as mac Stellaris'?

e:woops, never mind didn't notice one wasn't a mobile card.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 18, 2016

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Or a dating sim

probably just another generic tank dating sim. story of forbidden love and all that

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Airfoil posted:

They're moving to 64 bit. About time.

It's a shame they've never back ported Clausewitz improvements to older games. EU4 and Stellaris run fine on my laptop, but CK2 is a total dog.

64bit won't improve performance in terms of speed. That is not how computer works.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am a computer expert and I can tell you 64 is a higher number than 32. It must increase performance.

Also Stellaris works with custom resolution, thanks Groggy! My boss is less happy since this is my iMac at work.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If paradox games were multicore though that would be sweet.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Groogy posted:

64bit won't improve performance in terms of speed. That is not how computer works.

Depending on the code, you could see performance improvements from less register spilling. The x86_64 calling convention is probably also a lot better (it is on linux, at least).

(this is not going to affect code that's entirely bounded by pointer chasing, which simulation games probably are?)

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Groogy posted:

Have you guys every considered developing for ternary systems? They get a whopping 50% more information per bit. You should really think about it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Paradox games are multi core, try running with -threads=1 in the launch options.

Edit for the lazy:
Test on CK2 with 1066 start date
- multicore enabled: 42s per year
- multicore disabled: 1m 22s per year

The difference here will also become wider as time goes on and the simulation increases in complexity.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 18, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
So, I have a CK2 game that's almost over and I'd really like to continue playing in EU4 but is the converter able to handle stuff like Empire of Suomi (reformed Suomenusko), stable feudal Mongol Empire (hindu) or Catholics, Sunnis and Shias being literally nonexistent besides their religious leaders, being all replaced by various heresies? I could probably educate myself to tweak cores or stuff like that but I haven't modded the game before at all so I'm not going to take on the conversion of the entire game myself.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Groogy posted:

Paradox games are multi core

:thejoke:

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

ExtraNoise posted:

Paradox goons: Are you guys able to give specifications for flag dimensions in HoI4? I'd like to start getting to work on my mod but don't want to gently caress up the dimensions.

They appear to be identical to HOI3 from a glance.

Or even V2, they're reusing some V2 flags for different government types.

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Modding stream for HOI4.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 18, 2016

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Things are going quite good for Paradox, Stellaris and HoI4 are both in Steam's top 10 at the moment.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So did Paradox consider that Stellaris might cannibalize HoI sales? Or that the sale they ran last weekend might, as well? I kinda blew my gaming budget on Paradox poo poo already, so I don't plan on getting in on HoI on day 1.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Tuskin38 posted:

They appear to be identical to HOI3 from a glance.

Or even V2, they're reusing some V2 flags for different government types.

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Modding stream for HOI4.

Here is the archive https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/67152553

At 16 minutes or so they nuke Texas, so that's worth seeing. Followed by a STALKER/Chernobyl-esque event!

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Groogy posted:

Yeah, thanks computer scientist. I'm guessing a larger memory footprint would actually be useful, however. Them maps.

Clausewitz has been getting more efficient with each game. Just a shame they can't add those improvements to older games, but I'm sure that's an ugly job no one wants to touch.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So did Paradox consider that Stellaris might cannibalize HoI sales? Or that the sale they ran last weekend might, as well? I kinda blew my gaming budget on Paradox poo poo already, so I don't plan on getting in on HoI on day 1.

But you do plan on getting it. Being in the future doesn't really matter; they can account for a longer sales tail through continued development of the game and with their digital distribution setup. Plus how much crossover in player base is there really. They're pretty different games for different audiences.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

But you can do double-precision floating point calculations in half the steps!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Airfoil posted:

Yeah, thanks computer scientist.

You're welcome, but I usually call myself just Code Coder. Scientists make it sound like I actually have to be intelligent.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Groogy posted:

Paradox games are multi core, try running with -threads=1 in the launch options.

Edit for the lazy:
Test on CK2 with 1066 start date
- multicore enabled: 42s per year
- multicore disabled: 1m 22s per year

The difference here will also become wider as time goes on and the simulation increases in complexity.

This goes for EUIV, too? Where do I change this?

I need to try this when I get home to see if I can't get rid of some of the sluggishness.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

This goes for EUIV, too? Where do I change this?

I need to try this when I get home to see if I can't get rid of some of the sluggishness.

You might need to re-read, he's not giving you tips on how to improve your performance.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Alikchi posted:

Here is the archive https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/67152553

At 16 minutes or so they nuke Texas, so that's worth seeing. Followed by a STALKER/Chernobyl-esque event!

Ahh, thanks for digging this up! This is perfect.

Edit: What timing!

Edit 2: Takeaway here on flags is that HoI4 uses four with the following format:
TAG_communism, TAG_democratic, TAG_fascism, TAG_neutrality

There also seems to be a Medium and Small folder, and I'm guessing that each contains a larger and smaller graphic file for all flags, probably following the same naming convention. This should be good enough to get started.

That stream was a goldmine! I can start building all the countries over the next two weeks. (I probably could have before, it's all very similar, but you never know for certain until it's confirmed how the scripting formatting is setup!)

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 18, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
This is weird - Hearts of Iron: War Stories has just been released, a choose your own adventure game on mobile about being a Battle of Britain pilot. It's free - or at least the first 5 chapters out of 22 are free - so I gave it a shot. It's, uh. It's pretty loving badly written, apparently by someone who doesn't really know what England is, or maybe even what the target age group for the game is meant to be. Also all the characters sound extremely American, and maybe as if they get all their vocabulary from Simple English Wikipedia.

I stopped playing at this point. I feel like I've seen all I need to see.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

But what if I set threads=100000, should be super fast then.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

John Charity Spring posted:

This is weird - Hearts of Iron: War Stories has just been released, a choose your own adventure game on mobile about being a Battle of Britain pilot. It's free - or at least the first 5 chapters out of 22 are free - so I gave it a shot. It's, uh. It's pretty loving badly written, apparently by someone who doesn't really know what England is, or maybe even what the target age group for the game is meant to be. Also all the characters sound extremely American, and maybe as if they get all their vocabulary from Simple English Wikipedia.

I stopped playing at this point. I feel like I've seen all I need to see.

This is amazing. I definitely think it's the latter scenario. Somebody heard "promotion for a videogame" and mentally checked right on out of there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think Emma Chase is the love interest. They've really captured that HOI atmosphere. Eagerly awaiting the CK2 dating sim.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

At least it's not a clicker? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

At least it's not a clicker? :shrug:

Apparently there was a free Stellaris race pic for the Launchpad clicker thing

Fortunately, it's just some weird looking platypus dude I never would have used