Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The west coast adventure was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Saw Lite was pretty good.

The West Coast adventure would have been fun except that they decided to make Castle share in the blame for the stupid LokSat storyline and connected his missing time to it. I haven't tuned in since, though I'll probably get around to the Jewel Staite episode at some point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't bother. Jewel is literally in it for 2 minutes.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Dang, I was afraid of that.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well, tonight being the series finale, I think I might live watch it. Taking bets on the ending being:

Odds: even - Beckett going into witness protection from LokSat because ITS TOO DANGEROUS FOR YOU AND ALEXIS AND MARTHA.

Odds: 2-1 - Beckett runs off in deep FBI cover to go after LokSat because ITS TOO DANGEROUS FOR YOU AND ALEXIS AND MARTHA

Odds: 5-2 - Beckett is abducted by aliens

Odds: 10-1 - Last few seasons have been the last dying impulses of Castle's brain after being locked in a freezer container / car wreck before the wedding / nuclear bomb blast they saved NY from

Odds: 20-1 - Castle is in a mental institution after being kidnapped and tortured by 3XK killer

Odds: 30-1 - Castle is 3XK. And LokSat. And the mob guy that killed her mother.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Seeing as it's the series finale, I hope we get a little summary of what ends up happening to everyone. I'm curious as to how rushed the whole thing is going to be; has there been any progress at all on the LokSat thing since 8x04? Or has it remained this vague, uncompelling threat?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
They have to wrap up LokSat. They have to.

Though I'd put odds on it being an established threat all along. I was guessing Vikrim for a long time but there just hasn't been enough foreshadowing, and he's had too much access.

Maybe it's just the lawyer guy.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
They're not going to wrap up LokSat because this is a regular season finale with an alternate ending. If they were going to put a bow on LokSat they already would have.

They're going to explain Castle's lost time in the most rear end way possible and then have all the primaries on screen to give knowing smiles for 2 minutes and probably have the chief appear on camera to say some treacly nonsense and then she's going to fire Beckett... because she's reassigned! Roll credits. It's going to be crap.

I hope it's established that I have zero confidence in this being even an okay finale. As a series they've kept too many plates spinning off-camera for too long to wrap things up in a satisfying way that isn't completely bonkers, and again this is an alternate ending they shot in case of cancellation so nothing important is going to happen.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Or has it remained this vague, uncompelling threat?

Yes. The last time they dug it up they hinted that it had something to do with Castle's lost time but that thread led nowhere.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Loksat is Penny Johnson Jerald. Not her character, the in-universe version of her actress.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm glad they aren't trying to do it without Beckett, that would not have been fun to see. I lapsed big time in my viewing, but I always liked this show. Looks like I'll have some solid fun binging seasons 5-7, give or take some eps I sporadically caught, someday.

Looking forward to that Season 7 ending that should've been the true ending :allears:.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Haha, I get that they got handed a lovely last minute notice but that was gloriously jarring, most uneven last 10 minutes in T.V. history.

Now I really need to see that S7 ending.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty the ending was supposed to be them laying on the ground, with the cliffhanger being WILL THEY DIE OR WONT THEY.

That was terrible. Good night show that was pretty good a few years ago.

also, triplets

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
That was the most disappointing, obviously-rushed cliffhanger of an ending since Alphas.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Enjoyed the show over its run. One of the few shows that did better with LESS serial elements and was better when it stuck to its procedural formula. Ending was garbage.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Haha that ending was so hilariously tacked-on and abrupt. It really does seem like their Beckett-free S9 plan was either trauma-induced coma or straight death, which might have been interesting to see (especially since not having the actress would prevent them from reverting to the status quo after a handful of episodes). Glad it ended now though, it was past time.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

This show was a fun part of my life (off and on) for 8 years, it deserved a better ending.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm just going to pretend there were only 7 seasons and any cliffhanger didn't exist

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

"Ok so Loksat is..."
*pulls name out of a hat*
"that guy from that one episode this season"

A remote for a magnetic ceiling in a basement room.

And this lovely ending.

Let's just say I'm fine with the shows death.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Good show for the past 8 years. I really liked the episode up to the cliffhanger. If they cut the cliffhanger bit and faded to the rushed ending, it would have been better. I had no cliue who that guy in their house was, nor did I care.

Best thing about the show was that it introduced me to Fillion. He's a great actor and he seems cool.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Zorglorfian posted:

Good show for the past 8 years. I really liked the episode up to the cliffhanger. If they cut the cliffhanger bit and faded to the rushed ending, it would have been better. I had no cliue who that guy in their house was, nor did I care.

Best thing about the show was that it introduced me to Fillion. He's a great actor and he seems cool.

And now you have a much better show that suffered the opposite fate to binge through

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, Alan Tudyk's comedy miniwebseries thing, Con Man, has a second season: https://twitter.com/NathanFillion/status/728701989152956416
It's pretty fun, if only because the whole Firefly bunch is in there and it's about washed-up actors from a cancelled SciFi show. Season 1's on Vimeo.
e: also a ton of other actors from things like BSG

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 17, 2016

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Would've been fun to see a 13 episode season with everyone on board advertised as the final season with the writers able to plan with that in mind and build to a good ending. I'm sure ABC was seeing the piles of money it'd have to pay the leads and just said screw it though. I feel like you get more long-term money through dvd sales and whatnot by creating a solid conclusion to a series and trying to cement it as more of a memorable show, since there are a TON of shows on T.V. and most fade away from memory after they finish airing, but oh well.

Show was pretty screwed the moment they even suggested continuing without Katic, no way the fans weren't going to yell all over the internet about that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's why I'm curious about next season of Sleepy Hollow.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm just going to pretend there were only 7 seasons and any cliffhanger didn't exist

Same here.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The last 15 minutes were just a cavalcade of bad writing. Why yes Loksat is the guest star who just showed up out of the blue, and he's got a secret CIA sanctioned murder lair with convenient gun magnets. Also surprise that one guy wasn't dead even though he was dead but now he's not and CLIFFHANGER oh wait we got cancelled BABIES!

I'm not even going to bother buying season 8 on DVD, my collection can end with 7. The season had a few enjoyable episodes once they did away with the stupid "Oh they have to stay separated or Loksat will know!" premise but that's still only like, four or five out of the whole twenty-two.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

The last 15 minutes were just a cavalcade of bad writing. Why yes Loksat is the guest star who just showed up out of the blue, and he's got a secret CIA sanctioned murder lair with convenient gun magnets. Also surprise that one guy wasn't dead even though he was dead but now he's not and CLIFFHANGER oh wait we got cancelled BABIES!

I'm not even going to bother buying season 8 on DVD, my collection can end with 7. The season had a few enjoyable episodes once they did away with the stupid "Oh they have to stay separated or Loksat will know!" premise but that's still only like, four or five out of the whole twenty-two.

Absolutely all of this. My sentiments exactly.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Now, after watching the finale I think we should go back and watch the premiere to see just how much the show deviated from what made it enjoyable.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So did this episode even have any jokes. Remember that time Castle bought that bullet proof vest that said "Writer" on it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Congrats you realized after all these years that they have comedy episodes and serious episodes. Amazing.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

GreenNight posted:

Congrats you realized after all these years that they have good episodes and bad episodes. Amazing.

I forgot whether you could empty quote in TVIV or not.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

As a series they've kept too many plates spinning off-camera for too long to wrap things up in a satisfying way that isn't completely bonkers, and again this is an alternate ending they shot in case of cancellation so nothing important is going to happen.

Welp they went with completely bonkers :lol: That was completely and utterly ridiculous from the jump.

My takeaway from the episode up until the last 90 seconds is that their plan was to actually kill off Beckett while also resolving LokSat leaving no dangling threads. S9 would have been loving abysmal y'all. Probably Castle, the Briton, and his daughter solving minor mysteries and occasionally getting help from Espo and Ryan. Holy poo poo did ABC inadvertantly do us a solid in putting down this old horse.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

GreenNight posted:

Congrats you realized after all these years that they have comedy episodes and serious episodes. Amazing.

Sorry, I know. That was just being me being bitter about the show falling down a pit of self seriousness. In the earlier seasons, it seems the serious episodes were limited to one two-parter each season. But like I said, I skipped like half this season. Maybe I have to watch this Genie episode to remember the good times?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

My takeaway from the episode up until the last 90 seconds is that their plan was to actually kill off Beckett while also resolving LokSat leaving no dangling threads. S9 would have been loving abysmal y'all. Probably Castle, the Briton, and his daughter solving minor mysteries and occasionally getting help from Espo and Ryan. Holy poo poo did ABC inadvertantly do us a solid in putting down this old horse.
I can't remember where I read it, but the new show writers said in an interview that the Loksat plot was them "fixing the last few dangling plot threads that the old writers didn't", so that they could move on fresh. Apparently not realizing that Castle's lost time was resolved in a fairly noir fashion (it not being satisfying or complete doesn't mean it wasn't resolved) and that bringing it up again is a fairly obvious "do not pull until last season for drama" tag. Digging up Bracken, killing off Kate's AG friends, and breaking up Kate and Castle are all pretty obvious signs that they did not understand what made the show work, at all.

Somewhere I read that supposedly the next season would have involved a coma timeskip, Beckett would have died while Castle was unconscious, and Castle would have started dating Haley. So yeah, everything except the last thirty seconds of BABIES EVER AFTER was planned from the start, they seriously expected people to come back after they clumsily resolved every plot from the entire season in one fifteen minute chunk.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
What ruined this season for me was not the storyline, stupid as it was, but the tone and the character interactions. Beckett once again puts Castle second to some justice quest with no regard for his feelings and only the most grudging apology when she gets caught; even after they reconcile, she still doesn't respect or trust him enough to tell him what's going on. During the separation (both the real one and the fake one) every other character is completely indifferent to it or automatically blames Castle for it. Castle's mom and daughter in particular are so uninterested in his life that he has to buy a magical pyramid just to have someone to talk to. Random characters insult Castle's writing and he spends the first third of the season humiliating himself trying to "win Beckett back." None of this is my idea of a good time.

I think what would have happened in S9 is that Beckett is in witness protection. In the finale Castle would get a message saying, "The danger is over, we can be together again, meet me in Paris and we'll make babies." I actually would have given a Beckett-less season a shot, as I've never cared for her character (I find her to be cold, arrogant, self-absorbed, and not half as interesting as the show insists she is), and S8 made me actively dislike her. But it's probably best that the show's had the plug pulled.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

This show deserved better than the ending it got. My god, those last 5 minutes...

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Sad to see the show end on such a weak note. It was the ultimate in fun background noise fodder for a few years.

That said, even though the last 20 seconds were completely hokey and dumb, it was better than the alternative. There's no way a comedy show like Castle should end in the double homicide of the two charming romantic leads. That would be dumb for a season finale (even though they've done it like three times), but it would be an insane series finale.

Also, points to the writing team for namedropping Milo Minderbinder at the end there, nice work. This is the only compliment they'll receive for the finale.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think the problem is that they knew they had to write two endings for the season, one for if they were extended and one for if they weren't. But the "weren't extended" ending still included Caleb leaping out of loving nowhere. "Castle makes breakfast, they eat breakfast, they smile, series ends." would have been fine. But the current writing team seems to have learned all the wrong lessons from 3XK and think that unless someone is shot by Beckett and they leave a recognizable corpse then they're still alive out there somewhere as an unresolved plot thread.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

GigaPeon posted:

But like I said, I skipped like half this season. Maybe I have to watch this Genie episode to remember the good times?

There hasn't been an episode that recaptured the magic of the first 4 seasons in years and years. You'd be better served by starting Angie Tribeca, an actually funny show.

Kurieg posted:

I think the problem is that they knew they had to write two endings for the season, one for if they were extended and one for if they weren't. But the "weren't extended" ending still included Caleb leaping out of loving nowhere. "Castle makes breakfast, they eat breakfast, they smile, series ends." would have been fine. But the current writing team seems to have learned all the wrong lessons from 3XK and think that unless someone is shot by Beckett and they leave a recognizable corpse then they're still alive out there somewhere as an unresolved plot thread.

After they were lying there shot mah wahf was like "oh god please let them both be dead" and neither of us could remember who Caleb was, so when instead they dropped that "7 YEARS LATER" turd with zero exposition it was just :psypop: But yeah they could have done a low key thing, maybe throw in one last joke while they make inauthentic gently caress-me eyes at each other and the diehards could have been legitimately upset at the show's abrupt end. But no, as you said they clearly didn't get what made this show work for as long as it did. I can't imagine anyone not being disappointed by that finale.

Was Lainey even in the ep?

surf rock posted:

There's no way a comedy show like Castle should end in the double homicide of the two charming romantic leads. That would be dumb for a season finale (even though they've done it like three times), but it would be an insane series finale.

It was though and they did. Just slap an "attempted" next to homicide for the series finale, and "partially unsuccessful" if the series had continued.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'm glad you guys lowered my expectations, that finale was better than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Wait, I still don't know who that guy who jumped out was. What was his deal?

• Locked thread