Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the rapist lloyd irvin and that weird australian guy have really warped my world view on this whole jiu jitsu thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah for real I'm switching to golf... Oh.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Curling remains the purest of sports.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Neon Belly posted:

Hurry hard

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

No joke, Married Canadian Olympians won't even sleep together worried it will affect their performance.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'd post about the Judo team as well but their rules are more convoluted and their isn't a good english language source that I can find breaking it all down. But Kayla Harrison, Marti Malloy, and Travis Stevens are all in for sure, I believe a couple of others might also make it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Will there be a decent way to watch the olympic wrestling? I don't mind if it's like a paid streaming service, Australian media doesn't give a single poo poo about any sport that we're not a medal chance in, regardless of whether someone is competing.

When Lauren Burns won gold in taekwondo in 2000, literally no one in the country was watching her, because no one could watch her due to lack of coverage.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Memento posted:

Will there be a decent way to watch the olympic wrestling? I don't mind if it's like a paid streaming service, Australian media doesn't give a single poo poo about any sport that we're not a medal chance in, regardless of whether someone is competing.

When Lauren Burns won gold in taekwondo in 2000, literally no one in the country was watching her, because no one could watch her due to lack of coverage.

That's country dependant so you'll have to see what your country's rights holder is doing. In the US NBC streams pretty much everything, at least they did in 2012.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Thoguh posted:

So USA will have a full complement for Men's Freestyle.

:patriot:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Memento posted:

Canada (CBC or CTV) will probably have basically every event livestreamed online for free if you can get on a Canadian VPN

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

When I saw they were wrestling for third I was confused since only the top two qualified and normally big events like that don't wrestle any more matches than they have to. Now I know.

At this point I'm kind of surprised that every single athlete from an eastern bloc country hasn't already tested positive for Melodium.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Keg posted:

Canada (CBC or CTV) will probably have basically every event livestreamed online for free if you can get on a Canadian VPN

Excellent, that's a minor technical hitch I can get around pretty easily. Thanks!

Thoguh posted:

When I saw they were wrestling for third I was confused since only the top two qualified and normally big events like that don't wrestle any more matches than they have to. Now I know.

At this point I'm kind of surprised that every single athlete from an eastern bloc country hasn't already tested positive for Melodium.

Isn't there an issue with Melodium where they aren't confident they know how long it stays in your system for, possibly rendering their current testing regime invalid?

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

What do you guys do for little nicks and scratches that you pick up while rolling? Band-aids don't stay on unless you cover them with tape, and wrapping a bunch of tape around your arms and legs seems like overkill and also gives your opponents extra grip in nogi.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but we had a guy in our gym get staph a few months ago so I don't want to keep rolling if some skin opens up, no matter how minor. Other guys say they don't mind the blood, and tbh I don't really but I also extremely don't want any infections.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Long sleeve rash guards and spats....

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

JaySB posted:

Long sleeve rash guards and spats....

Empty quoting this forever

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Struggling with this now. Feet have cuts that won't heal and plasters are useless. Using Oxide Zinc tape to keep it covered. Works ok.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

eshock posted:

What do you guys do for little nicks and scratches that you pick up while rolling? Band-aids don't stay on unless you cover them with tape, and wrapping a bunch of tape around your arms and legs seems like overkill and also gives your opponents extra grip in nogi.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but we had a guy in our gym get staph a few months ago so I don't want to keep rolling if some skin opens up, no matter how minor. Other guys say they don't mind the blood, and tbh I don't really but I also extremely don't want any infections.

The band-aids that pull your hair really hard tend to stay on while rolling. I use some generic Publix "flexible fabric" ones.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Look's like USA Judo will qualify at about half the weights. The USA Judo team will be

Men:
-73kg: Nick Delpopolo
-81kg: Travis Stevens
-90kg Colton Brown

Women:
-52kg: Angelica Delgado
-57kg: Marti Malloy
-78kg: Kayla Harrison

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I got very lucky, I got to train with Amy Cotton, Canadian olympic judoka at our tiny lil YMCA club. Super cool woman and obv very strong. Gave me some sweet tips on my osoto gari.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I was listening to joe rogan's podcast, and brendan schaub was saying that randy couture grappled with jacare, who got him in a leglock, and physically could not straighten randy's leg out to get the tap. This sounded like a hot load of bullshit to me, but everyone there accepted it at face value and the match they had ended in a draw. Was schaub grossly misleading or is leg curling out of subs a legitimate defense?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Street Horrrsing posted:

I was listening to joe rogan's podcast, and brendan schaub was saying that randy couture grappled with jacare, who got him in a leglock, and physically could not straighten randy's leg out to get the tap. This sounded like a hot load of bullshit to me, but everyone there accepted it at face value and the match they had ended in a draw. Was schaub grossly misleading or is leg curling out of subs a legitimate defense?

Well it's normally the other way around, you straighten your leg to defend an achilles lock and it's a legit defense even if it's just to buy time while you improve your position. But a BJJ guy being bad at leglocks wouldn't exactly be news either

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

Jacare had a couple kneebar attempts from the bottom. On one of them Randy was able to get his other leg through so Jacare was essentially attempting to kneebar both legs at once, which doesn't work very well; on one of the others, Jacare wasn't able to straighten the leg because Randy was able to keep his knee on the ground with all his bodyweight on it, which puts you at an angle where you won't be able to straighten the leg because you're trying to do it through the ground. The latter is probably what Schaub is talking about, and it's true that Jacare physically couldn't straighten the leg out, but that's because of angle and weight, not because Randy does lots of hamstring curls.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
This is the fundamental problem with Rogan and his goons--he'll describe a situation 80% correctly a lot of the time but give wildly wrong reasons for why things are happening the way they are. This wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have the cult following he does.

In actual grappling chat I threw up from Judo yesterday. Most of our judo classes are strenuous warmup 10 min, learn a technique for 40min, randori for last bit. We didn't learn any techniques, we just did different warm-ups up and down the mat for about 45 minutes. It reminded me of playing football in high school when coach was pissed at the team. It was the first day for a couple people and I'm absolutely positive they won't be back. On the bright side I got a preeeetty sweet ippon seoi nage in randori.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 18, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Buchecha posted:

"There will not be a rematch between myself and Roger Gracie at Metamoris 7," Almeida said in a statement released to MMA Fighting. "Although I never officially announced this rematch, unfortunately, others did prematurely advertise it before there was an agreement. As always, I thank you for your support, and apologize to any of you who may be disappointed by this. Believe me, I'm as disappointed as you are. I assure you that there was nothing that I wanted more than to give the fans a chance to see a second fight between me and Roger. Hopefully, we're somehow able to come to an agreement at a future date, and the fight can go on.

"But now, I move forward and I'm eager to once again reclaim my title as world champion this June," he continued. "I would like to say thank you to everyone who support me during this past year and believe me now I'm back. By the way, congrats Roger Gracie on your victory and for your first MMA belt, always showing the efficiency of our art in the cage."

Metamoris has yet to announce the news, but Roger Gracie told MMA Fighting on Tuesday that he’s likely out of Metamoris 7 as well.

"I have no interesting in fighting anyone else," Gracie told MMA Fighting. "It’s highly likely that I won’t fight anyone else. I want to dedicate myself 100 percent to MMA now."

Who's even on the next Metamoris (and is actually fighting)?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

[url=http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/17/11689616/marcus-buchecha-out-of-metamoris-7-main-event-with-roger-gracie]

after watching an ebi i don't think i could ever watch a real-time metamoris event again

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Almost had my arm broken today because while practicing arm bars from guard the new white belt would frantically crank them and shoot his hips up as high as possible, despite me telling him like 5 times to slow down, so when the instructor was speaking to him while he was cranking his arm bar he somehow didn't hear me say tap 4 times. That was fun.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

fatherdog posted:

[url=http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/17/11689616/marcus-buchecha-out-of-metamoris-7-main-event-with-roger-gracie]

Ralek and Spriggs at least...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FS0tpptNNs
(watch this it is so bad)

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 18, 2016

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

Jacare had a couple kneebar attempts from the bottom. On one of them Randy was able to get his other leg through so Jacare was essentially attempting to kneebar both legs at once, which doesn't work very well; on one of the others, Jacare wasn't able to straighten the leg because Randy was able to keep his knee on the ground with all his bodyweight on it, which puts you at an angle where you won't be able to straighten the leg because you're trying to do it through the ground. The latter is probably what Schaub is talking about, and it's true that Jacare physically couldn't straighten the leg out, but that's because of angle and weight, not because Randy does lots of hamstring curls.

Schaub should really know better but I've had really new people legit ask me how I was so freakishly strong due to things like this.

Years ago a friend of mine started bjj and we hit the weight room together. He spotted me on a squat and his only comment was "wow jiu-jitsu really doesworks"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Schaub should really know better but I've had really new people legit ask me how I was so freakishly strong due to things like this.

Years ago a friend of mine started bjj and we hit the weight room together. He spotted me on a squat and his only comment was "wow jiu-jitsu really doesworks"

Haha, burn.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Kind of longshot but i'll ask my questions here:

What are the costs of drop-in's at Renzo's and NY Combat sambo? I'd like to visit both and I might have time to go next week to New-York and grapple a bit but would have to make a budget considering i've got limited time.

I may be misremembering but Doesn't Renzo's accept referrals? Yuns I think might've offered something so that it's less expensive for drop-in's in this thread but that was a few months ago.

I never went to NY so if some people also have recommendations of places where I could sleep and clean my rashguards between sessions i'd be really grateful. A cheap hotel or air BnB place would be fine if you've got recommendations that could be close to where I would like to try training.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

What are the costs of drop-in's at Renzo's and NY Combat sambo? I'd like to visit both and I might have time to go next week to New-York and grapple a bit but would have to make a budget considering i've got limited time.

I may be misremembering but Doesn't Renzo's accept referrals? Yuns I think might've offered something so that it's less expensive for drop-in's in this thread but that was a few months ago.

I never went to NY so if some people also have recommendations of places where I could sleep and clean my rashguards between sessions i'd be really grateful. A cheap hotel or air BnB place would be fine if you've got recommendations that could be close to where I would like to try training.

For NYCS, it's a $10 mat fee for open mat on Sundays from 11:30-1:30. If you're going to be in town for like a week and want to take multiple classes I'd just email Steve and ask, samboinfo@yahoo.com

Laundry won't be an issue, it's NYC and there's a million laundromats everywhere. Look for hotels in Chelsea or the Garment District, in the west 20's or 30's.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 19, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Odddzy posted:

As of last summer it was $40 for unlimited classes for a day at Renzo's. (based on my bugging Yuns about a trip that never materialized)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Odddzy posted:

It's $40 to train for one day at Renzo's. There are discounts or free training for affiliates depending on certain factors. There isn't any referral discount. I just offered to facilitate things if Kekekela came in the morning when I am around. Let me know if you are coming to morning training and I'll show you around.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

It's $40 to train for one day at Renzo's. There are discounts or free training for affiliates depending on certain factors. There isn't any referral discount. I just offered to facilitate things if Kekekela came in the morning when I am around. Let me know if you are coming to morning training and I'll show you around.

Thanks Yuns, I just purchased tickets and a room in brooklyn so I should be able to make it.

I'll be in new york from monday to friday next week and will try and make it to as many classes as possible at the two academies mentioned previously. Also, Renzo's schedule doesn't mention any time for open mats, are they just whenever there aren't any classes or something or it's an informal thing teachers decide depending on the mood of the week?

Also, if some people are interested in giving me other suggestions i'd be interested in knowing of other academies in Ny, not sure I can feasibly add them in the schedule but I might be missing other very nice places.

EDIT : Holy poo poo, Marcelo Garcia's academy is also right next door. This city is insane.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 19, 2016

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Try to make it for morning classes 7 am M, T, W, T, F for gi with Zed Chierghini and 7:30 am for John's no gi class M, W, F. There are open training times but they depend on there being no class. Yes, Marcelo's is around the corner as is Unity BJJ with the Miyao brothers.

You can train at Renzo's, Marcelo's, the Miyao's and Shaolin Ribeiro's without leaving Manhattan.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sharzak posted:

This is the fundamental problem with Rogan and his goons--he'll describe a situation 80% correctly a lot of the time but give wildly wrong reasons for why things are happening the way they are. This wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have the cult following he does.

In actual grappling chat I threw up from Judo yesterday. Most of our judo classes are strenuous warmup 10 min, learn a technique for 40min, randori for last bit. We didn't learn any techniques, we just did different warm-ups up and down the mat for about 45 minutes. It reminded me of playing football in high school when coach was pissed at the team. It was the first day for a couple people and I'm absolutely positive they won't be back. On the bright side I got a preeeetty sweet ippon seoi nage in randori.

When I was teaching I sometimes struggled with a few of my 20 year old super in shape male upper belts who would get annoyed with the relative lack of cardio we'd do in class. But it was for just that reason. A lot of people just don't want to get killed in warmups. And this isn't high school. If somebody doesn't enjoy themselves they just don't come back.

Of course, those same people were the ones who if I say, said "do X ten times" would just stop and hang out after 10 even though they had time to do 20 since they were going faster than the lower belts. No matter how many times I told them that times like that were their opportunity to get the extra intensity they were asking for by doing extra reps. So I never lost any sleep over it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

Try to make it for morning classes 7 am M, T, W, T, F for gi with Zed Chierghini and 7:30 am for John's no gi class M, W, F. There are open training times but they depend on there being no class. Yes, Marcelo's is around the corner as is Unity BJJ with the Miyao brothers.

You can train at Renzo's, Marcelo's, the Miyao's and Shaolin Ribeiro's without leaving Manhattan.

Thanks! one thing though, I've been doing Bjj for nearly three years and am about to get promoted (switched schools 1.5 years in and then only did no-gi, the teacher is waiting for me to do a few more competitions) so I would only be accepted technically in the whitebelt classes but I'm not sure i'd be a crutch in the purple B class, could I still participate in John's no-gi classes? I don't want to commit a faux-pas.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
New rules for Polaris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E03OJmc3wTo

quote:

Winner is determined by submission or judges' decision

Three judges score the bout

There are a limited number of points (three per catagory, with three categories in total) that must be distributed between the fighters.

Example: Aggression: Fighter A receives 1 point, Fighter B receives 2 points. The total amount must not exceed 3, and the judge must allocate more to one fighter than to another. In this case Fighter B displayed more aggression and heart during the bout than fighter A, so received the larger share of points.

Negative points can be given (one every five minutes)

The Submission-Only movement, now with decisions

Keg fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 20, 2016

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Odddzy posted:

Thanks! one thing though, I've been doing Bjj for nearly three years and am about to get promoted (switched schools 1.5 years in and then only did no-gi, the teacher is waiting for me to do a few more competitions) so I would only be accepted technically in the whitebelt classes but I'm not sure i'd be a crutch in the purple B class, could I still participate in John's no-gi classes? I don't want to commit a faux-pas.
Come to John's class. 3 yrs of experience is fine. I have few questions for you. How big are you? How is your takedown game?

I just noticed from your prior posts that you are from Montreal. I know you're from a different gym but we have a ton of tristar fighters visiting all the time.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

Come to John's class. 3 yrs of experience is fine. I have few questions for you. How big are you? How is your takedown game?

I just noticed from your prior posts that you are from Montreal. I know you're from a different gym but we have a ton of tristar fighters visiting all the time.

I'm at bjj révolution under Koji murakami, a super swell japanese dude. I'm 6'1 and weigh 205 pounds. I've got lovely takedowns though so I rather try something safe, fail and then go in x-guard from bottom.