Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I didn't watch much college basketball

Please give an irresponsible modern nba comp for Simmons so I can day dream. Tyia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Please give an irresponsible modern nba comp for Simmons so I can day dream. Tyia.

6'10 Rajon Rondo

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

euphronius posted:

6'10" terrific athlete with a great handle, gifted passer, a beast in transition but a broken jump shot? Sounds like the next LeBron to me. I don't watch college basketball either

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Would Okafor for #3 and one of Boston's logjam of guards be a fair trade?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IcePhoenix posted:

Doesn't Ingram project as more of a 3?

I wouldn't mind Skal if we traded down for him (maybe Buddy is on the board at 5 and someone in the 9-12 range is in love with him) but I still think you take BPA in the top five outside of extreme circumstances (which I don't think the Wolves fall under).

Ingram will be an SF if his quickness is adequate for the NBA. Otherwise he's going to have to be a stretch 4, and he's way undersized (from a strength perspective) for that.

Slowpoke! posted:

It's either Simmons or Ingram.

And who goes first and second probably comes down to Embiid's health. If the 76ers think he will be able to come back, they should take Ingram. You can't play 4 PFs/C's, and they already have Okafor, Embiid and Noel.

Simmons could easily be a late 80s early 90s style basket slash 3. It'd look a little funny in a modern offense but at the Sixers are managed by a bunch of old dudes who would probably be willing to give a throwback offense a try.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If Hield is there at 5, you'll probably find a willing partner in Sacramento, provided what you want back includes McLemore

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

Would Okafor for #3 and one of Boston's logjam of guards be a fair trade?

I love okafor and want this to happen badly.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

Blake Griffin without the posterizing dunks

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Magic Johnson. :colbert:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

This is actually really accurate.

Rick posted:

Ingram will be an SF if his quickness is adequate for the NBA. Otherwise he's going to have to be a stretch 4, and he's way undersized (from a strength perspective) for that.

Simmons could easily be a late 80s early 90s style basket slash 3. It'd look a little funny in a modern offense but at the Sixers are managed by a bunch of old dudes who would probably be willing to give a throwback offense a try.

I doubt Simmons will stick at the 3, especially if they are playing both Noel and Okafor.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 18, 2016

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Jack's Flow posted:

The Lakers face no pressure here, right? They'll simply pick the dude Philly did not pick. Or is there a 3rd guy floating around?

It was a terrifying draft for Mitch. Fall one spot, and it would probably be trade bait, fall two, and the final catastrophe of the Steve Nash Curse would play out. Now, as you say, no pressure. Unless he really, really wants one over the other and would trade up with Philly to get it. Given Walton as coach, I'd think they would prefer Ingram. Given that Mitch doesn't seem capable of moving with the times, I'd think left to his own devices, he might prefer Simmons. But the reality will probably be to simply take which ever ones falls to him, and be thankful that his Nash fiasco is behind him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kataphract posted:

It was a terrifying draft for Mitch. Fall one spot, and it would probably be trade bait, fall two, and the final catastrophe of the Steve Nash Curse would play out. Now, as you say, no pressure. Unless he really, really wants one over the other and would trade up with Philly to get it. Given Walton as coach, I'd think they would prefer Ingram. Given that Mitch doesn't seem capable of moving with the times, I'd think left to his own devices, he might prefer Simmons. But the reality will probably be to simply take which ever ones falls to him, and be thankful that his Nash fiasco is behind him.

If this was true, and it's not, then the Lakers would've drafted Okafor last year.

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is actually really accurate.

I doubt Simmons will stick at the 3, especially if they are playing both Noel and Okafor.

I think Simmons is a good enough facilitator that he could make it work, as long as you also have another ball handler on the floor who can shoot to counter teams that decide to just sag off him.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 18, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Blake Griffin has a really good jump shot and is way stronger

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Blake Griffin has a really good jump shot and is way stronger

He didn't have that jump shot at Oklahoma (I should have specified rookie griffin)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Assuming Bender is gone, I would take Buddy or Murray over anyone else if I am Minnesota.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Hand Row posted:

Assuming Bender is gone, I would take Buddy or Murray over anyone else if I am Minnesota.

No! He's coming to Memphis after they trade up

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
So Simmons is Blake Griffin minus the highlight reel and Brandon Ingram is Kevin Durant but worse in every way.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Is it too late for Simmons to develop a jump shot?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Metapod posted:

I'll take it .

Let's go.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Simmons is a much more advanced passer, has a better handle, and is quicker than OU Blake though. Idk I don't think they're that similar. Simmons doesn't really remind me of anyone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

Simmons is a much more advanced passer, has a better handle, and is quicker than OU Blake though. Idk I don't think they're that similar. Simmons doesn't really remind me of anyone.

Boris??

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Magic.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lamar Odom?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Boris and Lamar, this draft owns

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Blake was also hella explosive on his first step to the basket, its probably his most important tool. I haven't watched much of Simmons but I haven't heard that about him.

NickRoweFillea posted:

No! He's coming to Memphis after they trade up

What you offering for #5?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Lamar Odom seems like the best Simmons comparison to me.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I wouldn't be shocked if Ben Simmons does best as a small ball center, at least initially.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Simmons is like Griffin when CP3 is out and he takes on more of a point-forward role, minus the dunks and jumper

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Criminal Minded posted:

Lamar Odom seems like the best Simmons comparison to me.

Odom was a much much better shooter than Simmons, but some form of a Odom/Rondo/Diaw hybrid probably is the best comparison.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

Blake was also hella explosive on his first step to the basket, its probably his most important tool. I haven't watched much of Simmons but I haven't heard that about him.
Simmons got to the rim at will unless he was doubled or tripled much like Lebron. He scored 20 points a game in college without a jumper. He's insanely good at covering ground with the ball and finishing at the rim. Straight blew past dudes.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
How would he compare to Giannis?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hand Row posted:

How would he compare to Giannis?
I like Giannis's footwork a lot more, but Simmons is a much better inside scorer and has nifty moves. He's also a better passer. But yeah I think they're more similar than Griffin and he.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if Ben Simmons does best as a small ball center, at least initially.

You're saying if the Lakers get him, I'm guessing. On the Sixers, he'd probably be a tall ball pg.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

iamsosmrt posted:

You're saying if the Lakers get him, I'm guessing. On the Sixers, he'd probably be a tall ball pg.

I mean, he obviously wouldn't get the chance to play center on the 76ers, but in a vacuum I think it would work best for him. His inability to shoot would less important, and his speed in the P&R (as both the ball handler and the roller) would be emphasized. I think he is big enough to do it, and is a good enough rebounder to get away with it.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Considering the success that the Bucks had with Giannis bringing the ball up the court, and that Lebron does too about half the time he's on the floor for Cleveland, I can see the Sixers letting Simmons run point a lot. It'd be interesting letting a rookie do it but there's no-one else on the roster at the moment who would be better and may as well see what he's got asap. Try it for a twenty game stretch and If it works then you could be onto a revolutionary offense, if it doesn't then don't worry you were probably going to suck anyway.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

My biggest issue with the discourse around Simmons is that, sure, there are some flaws, but that's all anyone wants to talk about when he's the only forward in this draft who currently has elite NBA skills. He's coming into the draft as a 19 year old who is currently at the same stage of development as someone like Giannis. There's no one else in this draft that combines his level of athleticism and polish in the things he CAN do.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

straight up brolic posted:

My biggest issue with the discourse around Simmons is that, sure, there are some flaws, but that's all anyone wants to talk about when he's the only forward in this draft who currently has elite NBA skills. He's coming into the draft as a 19 year old who is currently at the same stage of development as someone like Giannis. There's no one else in this draft that combines his level of athleticism and polish in the things he CAN do.

Its the Andrew Wiggins thing. We've had so long to look at his faults, and have people look cool by going against the grain that people take it to heart. People were doing this exact same thing with Wiggins and Jabari before the draft.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lockback posted:

What you offering for #5?

Minnesota...hm. Mario Chalmers, Vince Carter, and the 17th pick

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Its the Andrew Wiggins thing. We've had so long to look at his faults, and have people look cool by going against the grain that people take it to heart. People were doing this exact same thing with Wiggins and Jabari before the draft.

You still see it with Wiggins even now where plenty of people (not so much on here thankfully) seem to write him off as a bust because he has the temerity to not be an All-Star in his second season. He's going to be really good - maybe not an MVP level player (though who knows), but then if he and Towns stick together he won't have to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Minnesota...hm. Mario Chalmers, Vince Carter, and the 17th pick

Enjoy watching Buddy score buckets with super friends KAT and Rubio.

• Locked thread