Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any builds that are disproportionately likely to reach the end of the questline, or ones that should be able to but haven't or almost never do?

I reached the end of quests and wandered into the Deathlands of Qud to find my death with a shabby Esper, and got almost as far with tinkering True Kin Horticulturalist, which is kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Axe turtles (Carapace marauders with high physical stats and all the axe skills) are quite robust but tend to splat spectacularly when they run afoul of something that cannot be outlasted with sufficient carapace or disassembled with sufficient axe (chute crabs, ickslugs, twinning lampreys, possibly Haggabah). They're definitely right up there in terms of viability, though.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Glimpse posted:

I reached the end of quests and wandered into the Deathlands of Qud to find my death with a shabby Esper, and got almost as far with tinkering True Kin Horticulturalist, which is kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum.

That was supposed to be STABBY, but the autocorrect is actually quite correct about the shabbiness since it was a non-optimized generalist build. Picked all Unstable Genome at character creation so I didn't know what kind of mutations would eventually manifest.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Glimpse posted:

Picked all Unstable Genome at character creation so I didn't know what kind of mutations would eventually manifest.

...you know what we need? A Caves of Qud / Nuclear Throne crossover roguelike.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
They're basically indistinguishable in terms of theme anyway except for time traveling cops

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, nuclear throne is more cartoony about it for sure, but they're definitely in the same ballpark

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

andrew smash posted:

They're basically indistinguishable in terms of theme anyway except for time traveling cops

well Qud has more ancient cultists and future turboracists

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

well Qud has more ancient cultists and future turboracists

There are turbos in Qud?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Some analytics around progression will happen soon though, because we need some baseline to wrap the endgame balance around.

Oy, why hello there friend, and welcome to Fuckall Tavern. Sit with me and have a drink, it's 50% tears.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's a main questline that goes considerably farther than you are likely to survive anytime soon, but the main questline is really, really nowhere remotely near complete yet. :v: After that you can wander around the (somewhat less thoroughly fleshed-out) farther fringes of the map and get murdered by random encounters. If you can reliably kill a chrome pyramid, congratulations, you have a thoroughly overengineered rear end in a top hat gimmick build beaten the hardest enemy currently available, with the possible but unlikely exception of some real ridiculous uniques. The fungal jungle (fungle) looks really awesome though, the current main area under construction.

Unormal can probably answer this better, I don't think the roadmap proper has ever been made available to the public.

There's a pretty amazing amount of content already. Easily one of my favorite roguelikes in its current state.

Unormal posted:

The main quest is like 1/2 2/3rds complete, and we're going to finish it before exiting early access. Then we'll probably work on another game for awhile, but keep tinkering a little on Qud in perpetuity. Maybe DLC or something later? Dunno!

Something like 1 in 10,000 sessions gets to the end of the current main quest line, so we're basically finishing the back half of the game for like 3 goons.

Thank you both for the prompt replies! I may not ever see the end of the quest line, but since it sounds like there's enough of one to dig into and plenty of content otherwise, and I'm in the mood to go dig into an exploration-based roguelike, I went ahead and picked up the game to see for myself. I splatted my first character on a jilted lover not five minutes later, whoops!

edit: If I have any complaints so far, it's that my screenshot button (F11) opens up a map editor button that I can't put away without taking a second screenshot.

e2: Built a beefy marauder who can shoot fire from his hands and teleport others away as a panic button, and finally cleared the first quest. I like this game.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 17, 2016

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
How do I get good at Enter the Gungeon? Even using my blanks and dodge rolling, I am eating so much stupid damage. Will 20 more hours cure me or am I doomed?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you both for the prompt replies! I may not ever see the end of the quest line, but since it sounds like there's enough of one to dig into and plenty of content otherwise, and I'm in the mood to go dig into an exploration-based roguelike, I went ahead and picked up the game to see for myself. I splatted my first character on a jilted lover not five minutes later, whoops!

edit: If I have any complaints so far, it's that my screenshot button (F11) opens up a map editor button that I can't put away without taking a second screenshot.

e2: Built a beefy marauder who can shoot fire from his hands and teleport others away as a panic button, and finally cleared the first quest. I like this game.

it's very much a game about the journey more than the destination, and thankfully has an interesting world to back that up. i wouldn't like it as much as i do if the setting wasn't what it is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's very much a game about the journey more than the destination, and thankfully has an interesting world to back that up. i wouldn't like it as much as i do if the setting wasn't what it is.

Absolutely! My favorite find in my playtime so far was a named Snapjaw who was hated by baetyls for disproving a famous theorem. There's a funny story implied there for such a basic enemy, and I love it when games conspire to make non-hand-crafted enemies interesting and fun.

Also, also, the music in this game is incredibly atmospheric. I had to stop playing for a little bit just to listen and soak it in.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HeartNotes3 posted:

How do I get good at Enter the Gungeon? Even using my blanks and dodge rolling, I am eating so much stupid damage. Will 20 more hours cure me or am I doomed?

Practice how to avoid bullets without dodge-rolling unless you will get hit; dodge-rolling takes your control away, which could path you right into another bullet if you rely on using it too often. For blanks, save them for the boss fights and secret rooms that you already know the location of; not taking damage during a boss fight is much more important than not taking damage during the floor. Don't spend them during the rest of the floor unless you are going to die if you get hit.

If you are still struggling, you can try scumming the beginning for an explosive weapon from a chest, as explosions eat enemy projectiles and can make some of the boss fights much easier to flawless.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
If you've been shying away from Cogmind due to the price, the dev is offering a $25 version this week to celebrate one year of Alpha access. As someone who's been playing since June 2015 (lordy where does the time go), I can't emphasize enough how good this game already is. Highly recommended.

http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2016/05/cogmind-1-year-alphas/

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Wait, there are secret rooms in Gungeon? How do I find them?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Qudchat: a shiva gunslinger is actually pretty good.

I just hit the jungles. "Oh huh," says I, "I don't remember madpoles being this easy. I can farm them for experience and back away from the pond if things go south."

Now I have no feet.

Edit: the Mayor of Kyakukya just spontaneously exploded offscreen in the center of his house.

5x "bloody Mayor Nuntu stands its ground!" followed shortly by "The human child dies!" Warden Indrix is also now bloodsoaked and patrolling around the village. Oh well, I got the mayor's book!

...And Indrix just murdered another Kyakukya villager. :ohdear: Apparently he's hostile to apes today! Not that it shows up when I look at him. On the plus side I just sold the corpse (ogre ape pelt) to the village merchant for 63 drams.

RIP carapace-horns gunslinger, feared to death by a goatfolk patrol.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 17, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StrixNebulosa posted:

Absolutely! My favorite find in my playtime so far was a named Snapjaw who was hated by baetyls for disproving a famous theorem. There's a funny story implied there for such a basic enemy, and I love it when games conspire to make non-hand-crafted enemies interesting and fun.

Also, also, the music in this game is incredibly atmospheric. I had to stop playing for a little bit just to listen and soak it in.

They may have reasons to be mad, at least one book implies that irresponsibly committing mathematics can have... consequences. :cthulhu:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Ratpick posted:

Wait, there are secret rooms in Gungeon? How do I find them?

Secret rooms attach to one other room on the floor. You open them by triggering a blank in the room they're attached to.

There will sometimes be a cracked wall indicating a secret room is adjacent - this is because you can shoot the walls with non-starter weapons to "test" for the presence of a secret room, and it got shot incidentally. You can do this on purpose, shooting random walls in the hopes of finding a secret room. If you hit where the entrance would be, the wall cracks slightly. It cracks further with subsequent shots, but you still need a blank to open it. Enemy shots that hit the entrance can also crack the wall and reveal it.

Otherwise, there is no visual indicator telling you where a secret room is, and it's possible for a secret room to be attached to the elevator after the boss.

In other words, don't bother looking for secret rooms - the rewards are usually poo poo and a waste of time to actually look for.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
The only way I ever find secret rooms in the gubgeon is if I happen to lose armour which triggers a blank in a room with a secret passage.If I am lucky I will then find another piece of armour in the secret room.Doesn't seem like there is any point wasting money on a map.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Olesh posted:

Secret rooms attach to one other room on the floor. You open them by triggering a blank in the room they're attached to.

There will sometimes be a cracked wall indicating a secret room is adjacent - this is because you can shoot the walls with non-starter weapons to "test" for the presence of a secret room, and it got shot incidentally. You can do this on purpose, shooting random walls in the hopes of finding a secret room. If you hit where the entrance would be, the wall cracks slightly. It cracks further with subsequent shots, but you still need a blank to open it. Enemy shots that hit the entrance can also crack the wall and reveal it.

Otherwise, there is no visual indicator telling you where a secret room is, and it's possible for a secret room to be attached to the elevator after the boss.

In other words, don't bother looking for secret rooms - the rewards are usually poo poo and a waste of time to actually look for.

I don't know about that, it's pretty trivial to check a couple likely locations. If you have blanks after the boss fight, it's usually worth it to use a bit of ammo to check the more likely every room locations. Chest rooms, alter rooms, the shop, and (at least in early patches, seem to be less frequent now?) the exit elevator room are pretty heavily weighted to have the secret room. Since you regenerate blanks every floor, getting anything except another blank is a net gain.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If it can be in the shop that's a pretty dick move, I've been assuming that was impossible.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

My game just froze when I autoexplored into an enemy spacetime vortex. :saddowns:

It flickered "freezing area" and nothing has ever happened again.

Guess I'm turning on autosave now that the vortex threw me back in time from level 17 to 5. :negative:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Duskers got released today, any impressions from the thread? I'm just wondering if it's a dreariness simulator with a novel control scheme like Deadnaut, or as engrossing as I'm hoping it is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, I want to check out Duskers but I just picked up Caves of Qud and can't justify another purchase this soon. :saddowns: This video made it seem really cool, even with the weird interface.

Qudchat though: how do you change what the auto-explore picks up automatically? I'd like it to pick up lengths of wire, but instead it likes to sail right past them and force me to go back and scour the caves for extras.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i played it for a few hours while it was in early access. ill have to try it again now that its done.

its a weird game. very atmospheric. when poo poo goes wrong it happens fast but the rest of the game is slow and methodical. lots of scanning rooms, opening doors in strategic ways to herd enemies you never actually see aside from motion detector pinging.

my major complaint from a gameplay perspective was the pathing on drones was pretty bad, especially if you needed them to maneuver around each other. they often just tried to drive right through each other. will have to see if they ironed that out at all.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh and also some rooms were unable to be scanned with the motion detector at random which i found really annoying. there was no way to tell a room couldnt be scanned without wasting a charge. i hope they changed that mechanic. they said it was basically just to prevent the motion detector from being overpowered so hopefully they found a more elegant solution

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:toot: Current main Qud questline clear with an agility mutant. Took me somewhat less than ten thousand tries. :v:

Not sure why Asphodel attacked me. Is Omonporch a holy site for Phyta now?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Happylisk posted:

If you've been shying away from Cogmind due to the price, the dev is offering a $25 version this week to celebrate one year of Alpha access. As someone who's been playing since June 2015 (lordy where does the time go), I can't emphasize enough how good this game already is. Highly recommended.

http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2016/05/cogmind-1-year-alphas/

Hey, sweet! Picked up a copy. Looking forward to trying it out after work.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i heard catacomb kids is in ea now, anybody try it yet

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I tried it a while ago and thought it was pretty fun, don't know if it's changed much.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Qudchat though: how do you change what the auto-explore picks up automatically? I'd like it to pick up lengths of wire, but instead it likes to sail right past them and force me to go back and scour the caves for extras.

It's in the options (ESC, O), but I don't know if copper wire is autopickupable. You should see any that you've missed on the ALT view, and then you could just click on them with the mouse to vacuum them up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Glimpse posted:

It's in the options (ESC, O), but I don't know if copper wire is autopickupable. You should see any that you've missed on the ALT view, and then you could just click on them with the mouse to vacuum them up.

It isn't, but thank you so much for pointing out I can use ALT! Thank you!

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

Duskers got released today, any impressions from the thread? I'm just wondering if it's a dreariness simulator with a novel control scheme like Deadnaut, or as engrossing as I'm hoping it is.

I put a couple hours in tonight. I would compare it to those scenes in Alien(s) where the characters are helplessly watching the lovely crt monitors for their motion trackers/sentry guns while something unspeakable devours their only chance for survival.

In my opinion, the controls are perfect for the atmosphere of the game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So very tempted. I think part of what I like about it is it emphasizes loneliness, isolation, helplessness, without appearing to be kinda bullshit or miserable. But with retaining the exploration, equipment raiding, fiddlieness, etc. of roguelikes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kaiju15 posted:

I put a couple hours in tonight. I would compare it to those scenes in Alien(s) where the characters are helplessly watching the lovely crt monitors for their motion trackers/sentry guns while something unspeakable devours their only chance for survival.

In my opinion, the controls are perfect for the atmosphere of the game.
I had heard nothing about this game before today and am now incredibly intrigued.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Anyone interested in splitting a Cogmind 3-pack? It works out at $20 each. PM me here or talk to me on Steam, I'm http://steamcommunity.com/id/Krauthammer/.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I beat Sproggiwood! :toot:

...though that victory is somewhat deflated because I used a scroll of pottery before seeing the cutscene, so the boss never activated even as I wailed on it. Pretty sure that's a bug.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Not entirely the same, buuuuut have you seen Autofire? It started as a Car Wars 7DRL, and people dug it so much he's evolving it into something bigger.

Playable game:
http://www.patricklipo.com/randomprojects/autofire-a-roguelike-in-7-days/

Overland and update news:
http://www.patricklipo.com/2016/05/16/autofire-a-massive-update/

Actually I should post about this in the proper RL thread too, shouldn't I?

This looks cool. Haven't had time to play it yet ... but yes more info would be great madjackmcmad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigon
May 22, 2016

Subtlety is overrated.

Helical Nightmares posted:

This looks cool. Haven't had time to play it yet ... but yes more info would be great madjackmcmad!

The website fairies are telling me that Madjack has graciously given AutoFire a bump! I coulda sworn that I had an SA account from the early 2000's but a few bucks later and it's newbtown for me.

The 7DRL really got me into the idea of a sophisticated Autoduel homage combined with the thoughtful combat decisions of the original Car Wars, Roadwar 2000, and roguelikes in general. It's been eating up most of my spare time lately.

This week I've been working on the randomized overworld for moving between cities and outposts. I chose to meld the tile-based world with Unity terrain and detail elements. I do need to get in some highways in there, but here's an update: