Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Sometimes I want the Blazers to buy a second round pick and take a flier on Thon Maker. Then I remember he stayed an extra year in high school to play ball against people smaller than him instead of play college ball. Man, he is going to be so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Sometimes I want the Blazers to buy a second round pick and take a flier on Thon Maker. Then I remember he stayed an extra year in high school to play ball against people smaller than him instead of play college ball. Man, he is going to be so bad.

He'll go in the first.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
heh what if the guy went up and was all like

"We are drafting ......... DEEZE NUTS!!!" lol could you imagine??

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Depends, what's his wingspan?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Shabazz faked a year and he's turned into a pretty alright scorer. Thon has a lot of neck height, which takes 1.5 inch from him in my draft matrix.

A few days ago I asked, what happened to that Bolomboy, here's an answer

quote:

Joel Bolomboy

It seems like at least one freakish athlete makes a name for himself around this time every year, and this week, Bolomboy looked like that guy. The 6' 9" Weber State product turned in the combine’s top recorded lane agility time and ranked in the top 10 for shuttle drills and three-quarter court sprint. His standing vertical of 37.5" was tied for second-best, and his 40.5" max vert put him sixth. Test results always come with a grain of salt, but when they’re consistently high all around, one notices these things.

The combine was a significant win for Bolomboy: His ability around the rim (he had a couple of stunning dunks) and intriguing skill set stood out during both days of five-on-five. He averaged 17.1 points and 12.6 boards as a senior while shooting 36% from three for a strong mid-major program. He’s a bit of a tweener offensively at forward, but appears one of the more unique prospects available, especially in the mid-to-late portion of the draft. This looks like the type of guy that somebody is going to take.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 18, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I appreciate that he thinks he has no chance of going 1, 2, 3, or 4

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

iamsosmrt posted:

Would Okafor for #3 and one of Boston's logjam of guards be a fair trade?

If this happens

Simmons #1
A Boston guard
Bender or Buddy #3?

I dunno

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Nooner posted:

heh what if the guy went up and was all like

"We are drafting ......... DEEZE NUTS!!!" lol could you imagine??

Why would Dwight Howard be announcing draft picks?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

My biggest issue with the discourse around Simmons is that, sure, there are some flaws, but that's all anyone wants to talk about when he's the only forward in this draft who currently has elite NBA skills. He's coming into the draft as a 19 year old who is currently at the same stage of development as someone like Giannis. There's no one else in this draft that combines his level of athleticism and polish in the things he CAN do.

Giannis really is a much better comparison than Lebron, or Blake without a Jumper. Giannis without the fictional body, more strength, and more touch around the basket, and even better as a passer. He made passes that I see from no one but those three.

Brandon Ingram keeps getting Kevin Durant comps, and while they have their similarities, they miss how much slighter he is than Texas KD, and how he lacks the slitheriness and the incredible touch from everywhere. KD is smoooth and covers ground like a spider monster, Ingram does a lot more flailing. He did play really good defense at times. His length makes that easier against college guys, I suppose. His jumper and his weird body make him really really tempting as a prospect.

He had roughly half the chest depth as the lady who was interviewing him at the lottery. He's a very very slight man.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

He had roughly half the chest depth as the lady who was interviewing him at the lottery. He's a very very slight man.

Tats invalidate this comp.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

10 years younger and 5 pounds lighter

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Also Durant keeps his bad tattoos on his chest

I really want the Magic to take Chiss but I think he doesn't pass at all, which could be a problem

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Also Durant keeps his bad tattoos on his chest

I really want the Magic to take Chiss but I think he doesn't pass at all, which could be a problem

Wait there's a Star Wars creature in this draft?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

10 years younger and 5 pounds lighter

The fact Durant has been in the league for 8 years is mind numbing

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wait there's a Star Wars creature in this draft?

I keep forgetting to add the R I'm a lost cause

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Blake Griffin has a really good jump shot and is way stronger

He's an incredible athlete too. Simmons isn't explosive like that.

I'm actually working on an article about this right now. I get why Dunn and Murray are ranked above Hield on most boards, and to some extent I agree from a talent evaluation standpoint. But I think Hield has a higher floor and ceiling than those players. Trying to conceptualize the idea of diminishing returns for 'more' at the draft level i.e. why being a good player across the board is not necessarily more valuable than being elite at a few things at the NBA level.

Hield played against elite competition and length to the degree of few lottery shooters before him and succeeded time and time again in his senior season. Ability to shoot at the NBA level should not be questioned for me and will look as stupid in hindsight as questioning Curry or Lillard's ability to do the same.

To take Murray and Dunn over Hield, I think you have to believe that their shooting will eventually rival Hield's. Not sure either of them will ever get there. Murray certainly has a better chance, but he's much better on spot-ups than he is off the dribble. Question becomes whether he'll be able to develop that at the NBA level. GMs are seduced by potential, but you'll get a better first four out of Hield than you will out of either of those players IMO.

It has to be age +size. Great shooting is very valuable, Devin Booker was only a shooter, and him being such a good shooter meant that he could expand his game to take what defenses give him. He doesn't need elite quickness or handle. There are some moments where I think, ahh well okay, this craftiness against college fellows won't translate, but the shooting seems real.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 18, 2016

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Shabazz faked a year and he's turned into a pretty alright scorer. Thon has a lot of neck height, which takes 1.5 inch from him in my draft matrix.

A few days ago I asked, what happened to that Bolomboy, here's an answer
Shabazz played well in college though. He might have been a year older, but he played against a level of competition far higher than Canadian high school .

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 18, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think he should draft ...... an nice cold bud light :grin:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Shabazz played well in college though. He might have been a year older, but he played against a level of competition far higher than Canadian high school .

I should have expanded. Shabazz tore up high school and then was pretty good in college, once teams knew his real age his stock fell appropriately, he was picked at a fair position, and he's done alright. Thon Maker is a prospect because of his body and his decent jumper. In all odds he'd probably have an alright year in college, get 10 rebounds a game, and go in the early 2nd, just like he will now. If you remove his neck height he's below 7'. Thon Maker's HEIGHT must be viewed CRITICALLY

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Nooner posted:

I think he should draft ...... an nice cold bud light :grin:

Oh hell yeah

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Here's the Vertical's mock

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/version-iii--the-vertical-s-2016-nba-mock-draft-235113108.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

It seems to me that Deyonta Davis kinda sucks, how hard would people laugh if Toronto DID pick him?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/version-iii--the-vertical-s-2016-nba-mock-draft-235113108.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

It seems to me that Deyonta Davis kinda sucks, how hard would people laugh if Toronto DID pick him?
btw this is the same guy who does draftxpress's mock.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Seems unlikely that Luwawu falls to the Bulls, who are going to draft Georges Niang.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's basically draft expresss mock. Well. It is the same thing.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Rick posted:

If this was true, and it's not, then the Lakers would've drafted Okafor last year.

Okafor was not what they were looking for in a center - had Towns fallen to them, he would have been the choice. Mitch had been put over a barrel for point guard by the wise acquisition of Paul torpedoed by Stern, followed by the unwise acquisition of Nash (The Curse That Almost Never Ended). I don't think Mitch would necessarily be wrong in valuing Simmons higher (assuming he does, and it's nothing more than my reading of him, so that and $7 will get you a cup of Coffee). But given the coach he hired, I would assume he'll go for a player more in line with a long term vision consistent with that when he might otherwise go for the other player.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

He'll go in the first.

Maybe, he's right on the borderline though.

Kataphract posted:

Okafor was not what they were looking for in a center - had Towns fallen to them, he would have been the choice. Mitch had been put over a barrel for point guard by the wise acquisition of Paul torpedoed by Stern, followed by the unwise acquisition of Nash (The Curse That Almost Never Ended). I don't think Mitch would necessarily be wrong in valuing Simmons higher (assuming he does, and it's nothing more than my reading of him, so that and $7 will get you a cup of Coffee). But given the coach he hired, I would assume he'll go for a player more in line with a long term vision consistent with that when he might otherwise go for the other player.

The Nash move wasn't unwise, it was unlucky. If you won't sacrifice some protected picks to keep your window potentially open (and see the media or the archives of this forum where people were complaining about how little the Lakers paid to get Nash).

But I don't think Mitch was over a barrel for a PG, there practically is one available in every single draft, and there were a few decent ones available in free agency the Lakers could've gotten if he was.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Simmons got to the rim at will unless he was doubled or tripled much like Lebron.

Or when teams figure out he can't shoot and sag way off him. It's true that people are making a lot of his weaknesses, but I think it's kinda natural to be leery about taking a guy first overall when you're not sure if he's going to be able to score consistently at the next level (unless he's like a monster defensive center in the Dwight mold or something).

That said, you're right that there's a lot to love about him with his passing, ball handling for his size, ability to score in transition, and rebounding (which gets really underrated I think; he's a really incredible rebounder, even without particularly great length, which I think speaks to how advanced his feel for the game is). He definitely has the highest ceiling of anyone, and it's kinda unfortunate that the got the OMG GENERATIONAL talent thing so early because I think it gave people unrealistic expectations and made them especially picky when he didn't live up to it.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Rick posted:

Maybe, he's right on the borderline though.

The Nash move wasn't unwise, it was unlucky. If you won't sacrifice some protected picks to keep your window potentially open (and see the media or the archives of this forum where people were complaining about how little the Lakers paid to get Nash).

But I don't think Mitch was over a barrel for a PG, there practically is one available in every single draft, and there were a few decent ones available in free agency the Lakers could've gotten if he was.

Given Nash's age, three years at 25-27 million or whatever it was isn't what I called wise even at the time of the trade, regardless of what they gave for him. It was destined to be unlucky - getting one good year out of Nash would have been lucky, and they didn't get even that. Given that he needed a point guard because of the circumstances, and one that looked pretty good was available in the draft, it's not that surprising or even all that forward looking that he took Russell. Mitch is behind the times on a number of things, but I'm not faulting him on understanding what makes for a good player.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm not having this conversation with you unless you can prove you thought it was a bad trade at the time.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Nash was doing fine until he went to LA where he promptly disintegrated

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It was a risky trade, mainly because I thought they were getting rid of important trade pieces to try to get Dwight.

Despite how badly it went in the end, that Dwight Howard trade was one hell of a steal, way more than the Gasol trade.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Rick posted:

I'm not having this conversation with you unless you can prove you thought it was a bad trade at the time.

I'm perfectly okay with you having a different opinion than me, but dont particularly feel like going back to a forum run by a jerk to dig around to prove what I say by slogging through threads years old, especially since you'd probably then claim that wasn't me (since the handles are different) . If you wish to demand that I prove my opinion was actually my opinion, it's not a conversation I'm particularly interested in. Mitch admits to being old school, not really understanding metrics, and has been faulted by his approach to recruiting free agents by the free agents themselves. I am of the opinion that the game has passed his skill set by, which is not the same thing as saying he was without skills that helped lead the Lakers to several championships at the time. And it's just that, an opinion. Not sure why you are getting so worked up.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

The Glumslinger posted:

It was a risky trade, mainly because I thought they were getting rid of important trade pieces to try to get Dwight.

Despite how badly it went in the end, that Dwight Howard trade was one hell of a steal, way more than the Gasol trade.

Dwight was a steal, even if it didn't work out. Wasn't at all sorry to see him go, but at the same time, I had hope that he would work out. Simultaneously, I thought Dwight working out was seriously handicapped by D'Antoni being the coach (and truth to tell, Kobe being Kobe). Still, thought it was good roll of the dice on Mitch's part.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

DOOP posted:

If this happens

Simmons #1
A Boston guard
Bender or Buddy #3?

I dunno

Yeah, my ideal (and maybe realistic) trade would probably be Smart and #3 for Okafor (plus maybe a throw in like Thompson or something). Though this depends on whether people think Smart will be very very good, or just a solid rotation player. Buddy would probably be the best bet for this particular Sixers team at 3.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yes I could see why that would be ideal.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah, my ideal (and maybe realistic) trade would probably be Smart and #3 for Okafor (plus maybe a throw in like Thompson or something). Though this depends on whether people think Smart will be very very good, or just a solid rotation player. Buddy would probably be the best bet for this particular Sixers team at 3.
Boston would literally never ever do this so you're in luck.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

iamsosmrt posted:

There are not gonna get Smart. They also aren't gonna get Thomas and they aren't gonna get Bradley. At best it would be like #3 and RJ Hunter if you're deadset on a guard

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

iamsosmrt posted:

Boston would never do this, you'd get a future conditional unless ya'll want some bench filler. You can draft Murray at #3, he's got a nice shot.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Boston would never do this, you'd get a future conditional unless ya'll want some bench filler. You can draft Murray at #3, he's got a nice shot.

If we came out of this draft with Simmons and Murray at the expense of Okafor I'd be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's extremely bizarre to me wanting to trade a good, young, cheap known asset in Okafor in order to build around a whole lot of stuff you haven't seen in person.

• Locked thread