Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

RG is actually very engaging and good for what is essentially an idle clicker, and once you learn what works you can rocket through the reincarnations

(to avoid this post being vague and coy: elves > demons > titans > druids > dwarf/elf > dwarf/fairy > mercs diamond forge, at later reincs you can skip demons/titans and go straight from elf to dwairies to mercs until research)

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

And even later you can just go fairy -> dwairy -> research dwairy and never touch anything else, though a few Rs after that you do have to start touching other things with better long-term scaling.

Also PSA, Realm Grinder is having an anniversary event starting tomorrow morning (well, morning in the Americas anyway) and lasting a day and a half.

UTC: 5/19 12:01 PM through 5/20 6:59 PM.
EDT: 5/19 8:01 AM through 5/20 2:59 PM.
PDT: 5/19 5:01 AM through 5/20 11:59 AM.

e: Apparently it's just a 50% discount on the first two gifts (which is not a bad deal for anyone who doesn't have them, admittedly) and an upgrade that will last the duration of the event, nothing more involved than that.

Vil fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 18, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I just want the next update so I have an excuse to do something other than build Hive Mind time. :(

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Are people using a auto-clicker for faction coins? If so, which one? My finger's already tired and I've got next to no coins.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Irritated Goat posted:

Are people using a auto-clicker for faction coins? If so, which one? My finger's already tired and I've got next to no coins.

I'm using AutoHotKey and this script that somebody pasted earlier in this or the previous thread:

code:
#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

;~~~~~~~~;~~~~~~~~;~~~~~~~~;~~~~~~~~;~~~~~~~~;
; Clicker for AutoHotKey
; Press Windows-C to start clicking at current mouse location
; Wiggle the mouse to stop
;
MyCount := 0
gui, font, s8, Arial
Gui, Add, Text, x30  y75 w290 h20 vMyText2, Clicks: 0
gui, font, s50 bold, Arial
Gui, Add, Text, center c001050 x5  y0 w385 h70 vMyText1, PAUSED
Gui, color, ffffc0
Gui, -MaximizeBox -Resize
Gui, Show, h100 w395, AHK_Clicker
Return
;
#c::
Gosub, Main_Loop
return
;
Main_Loop:
GuiControl,, MyText1, CLICKING
CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
MouseGetPos, X1, Y1
SetMouseDelay, 1
;
Keep_On_Clicking:
GuiControl,, MyText2, Clicks: %MyCount%
Loop, 10
{
Click
Sleep, 5
}
MyCount += 10
Sleep, 10
MouseGetPos, X2, Y2
DIFF1 := abs(X1-X2)
DIFF2 := abs(Y1-Y2)
if (DIFF1 < 5 and DIFF2 < 5)
    Goto Keep_On_Clicking
GuiControl,, MyText1, PAUSED
Return
;
GuiClose:
ExitApp
;~~~~~~~~;~~~~~~~~;~~~~~~~~;~~~~~~~~;~~~~~~~~;

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Anyone know what dictates the level of worlds that show up when you enter the gate in shark game? It's not the amount of essence I have banked. Seems like it's tied to picking a world type I haven't done in a while, but I'd like to understand the actual formula if there is one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kyrosiris posted:

I just want the next update so I have an excuse to do something other than build Hive Mind time. :(
The next update is bundling a bunch of gameplay, interface, and QoL stuff with the complete art overhaul, so it's taking much longer than usual.

On the bright side, it's going to be huge.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Ranter posted:

Anyone know what dictates the level of worlds that show up when you enter the gate in shark game? It's not the amount of essence I have banked. Seems like it's tied to picking a world type I haven't done in a while, but I'd like to understand the actual formula if there is one.

I think the level i just tied to how much total essence you've earned. As for type I assumed it was random.

Is there an "End" to shark game? I have it to the point where I can reset some worlds in two minutes so I think I'm done(again) but if there is something that happens with the weird between world entity that talks to you it'd be cool.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sindai posted:

The next update is bundling a bunch of gameplay, interface, and QoL stuff with the complete art overhaul, so it's taking much longer than usual.

On the bright side, it's going to be huge.

Oh yeah, I know it's big and that's why it's taking a while. Just itching for more content, is all.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Xtanstic posted:

Goddamnit this new thread made me fall back down the idle game rabbit hole. Realm Grinder :negative:

I just started idling in Hero Simulator after a year of cold turkey not playing Cookie Clicker and I'm back in it. Might try Amaranthine if I get bored...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Seravadon posted:

I think the level i just tied to how much total essence you've earned. As for type I assumed it was random.

Is there an "End" to shark game? I have it to the point where I can reset some worlds in two minutes so I think I'm done(again) but if there is something that happens with the weird between world entity that talks to you it'd be cool.

I don't think that's it. My worlds are slowly going back down (were 45 - 50, now I'm getting 36/37/40).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have level 152 worlds. It doesn't end afaik.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

dis astranagant posted:

I have level 152 worlds. It doesn't end afaik.

It's a range of I think 5 higher or lower so you can trend one way or the other but RNG can hurt you short term

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Eldercain posted:

It's a range of I think 5 higher or lower so you can trend one way or the other but RNG can hurt you short term

I'm pretty sure it's this. So long as you always pick the highest level world on offer (whether or not you particularly care for the world type), you should generally trend upwards, though occasionally the highest level world on offer will still be lower level than your current world in the short term.

As for "end", every upgrade has a maximum number of times you can take it, and I think the voice might have a comment once you get every last one of them to max? It's a very long grind though, unless you cheat and bump up your world levels enough that essence comes in at a halfway decent rate for some of the later costs.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
There's no ending because the trend at the time was for incremental games to never end and have some ridiculous infinite prestige cycle, and because the developer couldn't think of a suitable ending. Really, the ending is when you think you've seen enough.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I guess I am done with Shark game again then. :( It was fun while it lasted.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

So close to r16 I can taste it, research looks EXTREMELY confusing

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Anniversary event in Realm Grinder for the next 24 hours or so! As near as I can tell, it's just an upgrade that gives you a bonus based on how long you've been playing. Mine's like 35,000%.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Mine was 85% :buddy:

There's also some discounts on items in the store, like Gift of the Heroes or some poo poo.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The prep for research in R16 is awful, but after that you only get 4-5 new researches each reincarnation so it's pretty simple. Builds after R16 pretty much consist of "pick the biggest numbers, go hog wild" with the occasional gimmick run to unlock stuff.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

87,124% on the anniversary boost for me. :stare:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
114k+% for me. I stopped playing and an waiting for new content though. Rolling to Ascension doesn't interest me right now.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
only 83% for me, which is weird because I played it sixth months ago and left it idle since then

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
I got 101%. Post-ascension of course.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
113% post-ascension :smuggo:

...it won't be enough to get me to R47 :smithicide:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I can't even get Realm Grinder to load; I just get a black screen.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009
111,254%. I've been taking my time a little bit given I'm only up to R34. It's been good not having to worry about content though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I've been getting more into clickers lately after finding the last thread. I've been vaguely considering making one of my own for fun, so I've got a question for you guys: what do you like to see in clickers? What makes one clicker better than another to you? What do you hate about clickers? This can just be personal preference or whatever, just looking for input!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I like it when the numbers slowly get bigger

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I've been getting more into clickers lately after finding the last thread. I've been vaguely considering making one of my own for fun, so I've got a question for you guys: what do you like to see in clickers? What makes one clicker better than another to you? What do you hate about clickers? This can just be personal preference or whatever, just looking for input!
The two most mechanically interesting clickers I've seen are Mine Defense and Realm Grinder.

MD has a lot of paradigm shifts, points where you unlock a new kind of thing to build and suddenly you can get practically infinite amounts of a resource that used to limit you, but now your goal changes and you're limited by something else. Often it just introduces new resources, other times something that used to be a non-resource (like a producer of an earlier resource) becomes a resource.

RG keeps the same resources the whole time but offers a lot of mutually-exclusive choices for how to earn them that scale in different ways. It's also really good about unlocking newer, more powerful options to use just as the stuff you were using starts to really slow down. Vanilla factions -> neutral factions -> prestige factions -> mercenaries -> bloodlines -> vanilla research -> neutral research -> prestige research.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Likes: Changing paradigms, quick rate getting back to where you were after prestige reset
Dislikes: Resource caps, required progression unlocks that take multiple days of no/nearly no interaction or progress

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah I've been thinking about idle games a lot recently cause I've been trying to find time to make one and I think people most enjoy discovering new facets and vectors of progression. Mine Defense is great about this, Kitten game is good but has fundamental flaws to stop it from being super popular. Realm Grinder is a different game that builds off the last iteration every week or two if you want to move that fast.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I just unlocked all of the researches up to level 135 and started R17. When do researches become more powerful than lightning forge? I'm getting really tired of lightning forge, but I'm all about efficiency.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I agree with what the others said, but also:

Like: Being able to make appreciable progress if I go away from the game for 8 hours. Normally in an idle game this would be the case, but some aspects can make idle progress negligible -- most obviously resource caps, but also the game's pacing being just too fast while active (see lategame Shark Game for example).

Dislike: The need for an autoclicker, and to a lesser extent any third-party program like the forecaster.

MussoliniB posted:

I just unlocked all of the researches up to level 135 and started R17. When do researches become more powerful than lightning forge?

R16. Or 1 TVg gems (maybe 100 DVg), depending on what you mean by "when".

shs
Feb 14, 2012
my least favorite part of clicking games is the part where I have to actually click

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Kyrosiris posted:

Likes: Changing paradigms, quick rate getting back to where you were after prestige reset
Dislikes: Resource caps, required progression unlocks that take multiple days of no/nearly no interaction or progress

shs posted:

my least favorite part of clicking games is the part where I have to actually click

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Dislike: The need for an autoclicker, and to a lesser extent any third-party program like the forecaster.

Well there go all my points.

It's also nice if at some point you do something that isn't just make numbers go up. Be creative! Maybe a specific number is better if it goes down? Maybe you do this run a weird way? Think Trimps challenges and RG unlocks. Nobody wants to do the same thing 1000x in a row, that is called work. Every time can be a little different and it makes the whole thing feel completely different, and tack a reward on the end that isn't trivial and boom. Carrot.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I enjoy it when upgrades generate other upgrades, like in Derivative Clicker or that Swarm game. Or the alchemy in Mine Defense that lets you turn one hireling into a resource, that you can then turn into another kind of hireling, that then generates more of the original hireling. There's a little of this in RG, but it's mostly based on time (undead assistants) or clicks (faceless labyrinths) and not too satisfying.

keldon
May 14, 2009
I like it when games have a well-defined end point. I'd much rather reach a point where the game says "that's it, you're done" than just keep on resetting over and over until I get sick of the game forever. Mine Defense is good at this.

Another good point in Mine Defense's favor is the Oracle. Too often in these games I'm not sure what to focus on next, and often the next upgrade is closer than I think, but I don't know which widget to buy more of.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Beasteh posted:

I like it when the numbers slowly get bigger

If that's the case, you should play Anti-Idle. Those numbers get big real slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

keldon posted:

I like it when games have a well-defined end point.

I don't!