Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Soon to be SBOE member fears subliminal gay indoctrination through textbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

The sad part is opponent's campaign is poorly run. I offered to do a bunch of work for free to help them in the runoff and all the campaign manager did was looked at my linkedin page.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

zoux posted:

Posted to Facebook, then printed out, and photographed with a camera, and jpeg compressed. What the gently caress?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
An upstanding graduate from the Texas State School for Kids Who Can't Screengrab Good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wikkheiser posted:

An upstanding graduate from the Texas State School for Kids Who Can't Screengrab Good.

*soon to be closed by budget cuts :smith:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Yesterday on the way to work, I take S. First into downtown since Mopac is hosed and they had some off-duty cop at 2nd street stopping traffic on a green light so that a line of pedicabs, each with a tech bro in the back attending the Open Souce Con at the W, could convey them into their venue without the indignity of having to wait to cross. Traffic was backed up almost all the way to Oltorf.

The way this town bends over backwards to increase its national profile while making things terrible for current residents really pisses me off.
I love love love Molly Ivins' articles on nutty Dallas boosterism in the 80s but I think Austin has eclipsed it.

We would try harder except we're just really bad at it.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

zoux posted:

Cant be any worse than the revisionist history that we've had in our History textbooks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Day 6 of a water boil advisory. Third one in a year. :sigh:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Aliquid posted:

I paid $8 for a Lone Star. Never again.

I hope you mean they paid you $8 to drink a Lone Star and yeah that is not near enough money to drink that poo poo

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

go3 posted:

I hope you mean they paid you $8 to drink a Lone Star and yeah that is not near enough money to drink that poo poo

It's rather telling that while I know that it's basically piss-water and atrocious I will still fight to the death to defend it if someone from out of state complains about it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/KoltenParker/status/732961651163582464

This is way worth than the trans bathroom stuff imo.

As an Austinite...I'm so, so sorry and would like to apologize. I feel tainted just by association. Torchy's isn't bad, but they should not be considered eligible for a proper taco competition.

Lote posted:

The best tacos are from either unnamed places in a gas station or shacks in a parking lot labeled "Tacos" and nothing else.

Alternate best place: Spanish speaking restaurant kitchen's crew meals. Real Mexican cooking made by little Mexican ladies for their Mexican (and gringo) co-workers is some of the best food I've ever had.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Alkydere posted:

As an Austinite...I'm so, so sorry and would like to apologize. I feel tainted just by association. Torchy's isn't bad, but they should not be considered eligible for a proper taco competition.

Alternate best place: Spanish speaking restaurant kitchen's crew meals. Real Mexican cooking made by little Mexican ladies for their Mexican (and gringo) co-workers is some of the best food I've ever had.

Los Palmas in Seguin's legit. Right next to TLU's campus. Basically just the corpse of a DQ that an entire mexican family basically moved in to. It looked like they had one old fat abuelita in the back whose single job was to look at the pots of stuff as it was cooking and nod in approval before sitting back down in her rocking chair.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

citybeatnik posted:

It's rather telling that while I know that it's basically piss-water and atrocious I will still fight to the death to defend it if someone from out of state complains about it.

My Nebraska-born sister-in-law has decided she is now a cowgirl and wears a cowboy hat and drinks Lone Star. I can see the visible pain on her face with every sip. I just don't get it man.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

go3 posted:

My Nebraska-born sister-in-law has decided she is now a cowgirl and wears a cowboy hat and drinks Lone Star. I can see the visible pain on her face with every sip. I just don't get it man.

Oh good gently caress no I won't drink the poo poo, I'll just claim with a straight face that it's better than any other beer from another state.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Torchy's does some decent breakfast burritos, but they're probably not even the best Mexican restaurant on the block. Felt so weird driving past that place and seeing a line of people wrapping around the building when there's a million great Mexican places nearby.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

citybeatnik posted:

Los Palmas in Seguin's legit. Right next to TLU's campus. Basically just the corpse of a DQ that an entire mexican family basically moved in to. It looked like they had one old fat abuelita in the back whose single job was to look at the pots of stuff as it was cooking and nod in approval before sitting back down in her rocking chair.

I lived in Lubbock (ugh) for 9 years and perhaps the best and cheapest place I found to eat was a small family-run shop called Montelongo's across the street from the steel mill. The menu was a mixture of sun-bleached pictures of the food on printer paper and a list of prices over the register. I kicked myself for not trying them out earlier. Bonus points because they were open on Sunday, which is pretty rare in Lubbock. Instead they closed/had their day off on Wednesday for whatever reason.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

Does she know that there are less awful Texas beers around? Give her a Shiner Ruby Redbird or something and let her escape the pain.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

Tell her to drink Mexican beer like a real Texan.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Torchys has a good strategy of only opening up where there is zero parking

And shiner is awful. At least lone star is cheap

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just drink cheap Texas vodka. :effort:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Tell her to drink Mexican beer like a real Texan.

Once you go Negra Modelo you never go Bock.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Shiner's specialty beers are actually pretty good, Bock is definitely below every other regional brew though. It only serves to usually end up on the domestic menu in which case it's alright when your other options are bud, Coors, and Miller.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Back Hack posted:

I just drink cheap Texas vodka. :effort:

I will fight you. Titos is pretty decent. Also please never move sxsw to San Antonio.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So when are we all going to pool our money to go against the lobbying forces of Big Beer in the Lege?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Ruby Redbird is a good beer but too expensive to be a cheap beer.

modelo is better than lone star but lone star reliably can be found in tallboy form

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I looked it up, the Torchy's guy isn't even from here. He's from Florida.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

zoux posted:

I looked it up, the Torchy's guy isn't even from here. He's from Florida.

Not California? I'm shocked. Even floridians are moving to Austin now.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Shiner's specialty beers are actually pretty good, Bock is definitely below every other regional brew though. It only serves to usually end up on the domestic menu in which case it's alright when your other options are bud, Coors, and Miller.

Exactly. You drink Shiner Bock to show that you're Texan in the presence of horrendous brews. If you want to be Texan but don't want to drink awful cheap garbage, at least Shiner makes drinkable variants. All of the Wal-Marts here have started carrying cases of New Belgium's Rampant IPA, which is incomparable although not local.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shiner is fine you loving prima donnas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

Once you go Negra Modelo you never go Bock.

Negra Modelo is decent but it's like $9 for a six pack.

Also it's kind of heavy tbh.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress all y'all

the tamales are from mexico tho

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Aliquid posted:

gently caress all y'all

the tamales are from mexico tho

Two sentences that are distilled Texas.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Even with real lovely beers Tecate>Lone Star

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tecate Light and Miller Lite I hold in the same regard

which means tied for second-best behind Santa Ana's Ambrosia

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friend from monclova was revolted by my Evan Williams on ice, to him any proper whiskey should be healthily diluted by tonic or mineral water

and he mocks me for pouring lime juice into tequila

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Evan Williams is only properly drank straight from the bottle, preferably a black label glass handle you later use as a hammer

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Alkydere posted:

I will also accept the alternate answer of any taco place has the word Lingua displayed anywhere.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pretty sure these tamales are gonna kill me more quickly

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Shiner Prickly Pear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no