Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trump apparently just announced Trey Gowdy as his AG pick, and Gowdy is very much anti-pot. Colorado will not be going red this election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zeno-25 posted:

Trump apparently just announced Trey Gowdy as his AG pick, and Gowdy is very much anti-pot. Colorado will not be going red this election.

He's clearly going all in on the angry old white man demographic. Women, minorities, and young people be damned.

Hillary should come out openly in favor of nationwide decriminalization of weed in response to this. Help shore up the soon to be Bernie castoffs. Obviously it would be better for her to call for it to be legal but she'll never do that.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

^^EDIT: Note that the DEA is already preparing for rescheduling based on the DHHS/FDA medical assessment of marijuana. I can definitely see Hillary openly advocating for it in 2020.

If the name Trey Gowdy doesn't ring any bells, by the way, perhaps "He Of The Mysteriously Conical Haircut" will.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 19, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

If the name Trey Gowdy doesn't ring any bells, by the way, perhaps "He Of The Mysteriously Conical Haircut" will.

So is the tie to distract from his head or does he think it's good

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I will admit that in the past few days, I have had sexy moments. It is more based on the Democrat side having issues with Bernie supporters getting angry and sitting out the election.

I then remind myself that they are facing Donald Trump....and I actually get a little more fearful.

Edit: I think Trump is going all in on the darlings of the right so that he can try to pull in my conservatives and awaken the "silent majority". Unfortunately, these picks do nothing for the general population.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 19, 2016

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

^^EDIT: Note that the DEA is already preparing for rescheduling based on the DHHS/FDA medical assessment of marijuana. I can definitely see Hillary openly advocating for it in 2020.

That's Trey Gowdy? I thought that was Ben Gazi.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

Christie's face down in a gallon bucket of ice cream right now unless he knows he's getting VP.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's his stage name.

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 19, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Do we really have to go over why freaking out over A poll (let alone one from fox news) is bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Here's a different poll that was released today that was done with likely voters. It is far and away more detailed regarding just how their sample size was constructed.

http://c5.nrostatic.com/sites/default/files/National%20-%20McLaughlin%20-%205-16-16%20Presentation%20-%20NEW%20SPECIAL.pdf

Also for reference to calm some nerves. (including a bit of my own I'll admit.) My super map.

(And remember Arizona and Georgia are in definite play this election while there are no usual blue states at risk. If someone says PA is they are retarded.)

I thought Illinois was polling red more these days? Either way my favorite election map is the one showing both parties with every state they carried by at least 5(?) points or more in 2012 since it gives the best "one side or the other has to gently caress up badly to not get this bare minimum" layout. GA isn't going to go blue though unless Trump has some major fuckups to piss off the state. The polling's close and within the MOE but Dems need a huge GOTV or similar push to make it happen. Otherwise it'll go red as comfortably as PA goes blue.

Either way, poll chat should be banned until at least a week after the conventions when it'll start to matter a bit more because it's just a bunch of Arzying one way or another.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

rscott posted:

it was an option that was available and wasn't used for whatever reason.

That's what I said. :shrug:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is the notorious Ben Gazi.

Trey Gowdy does not wear glasses, and is just a mild-mannered House Rep.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought Illinois was polling red more these days?

State level positions? A bit. Presidential? No, at least not by enough to toss it into "toss-up" status.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

fishmech posted:

State level positions? A bit. Presidential? No, at least not by enough to toss it into "toss-up" status.

IL elected a republican governor due to the incumbent dem governor making two mistakes: 1. Being the most boring politician on the planet. 2. Not being able to magically fix decades of budgetary gently caress ups. Either alone would have been survivable, but together they proved to be too much.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

fishmech posted:

Building on this - most of the state is red rural countryside, but Chicago is so absolutely balls-massive and deep blue that it tips the scale back to the blues, much to most of the state's fury. This is why there's been so much pressure on the Illinois governor - as the first Republican governor in a long time over Illinois, Rauner is feeling a lot of pressure to set himself apart from the pack. He's failing miserably with much of the state's colleges planning to layoff and/or close campuses due to the impasse over the state's budget. He's trying to be Scott Walker, but doesn't have near enough support to make it happen.

EDIT:

borkencode posted:

IL elected a republican governor due to the incumbent dem governor making two mistakes: 1. Being the most boring politician on the planet. 2. Not being able to magically fix decades of budgetary gently caress ups. Either alone would have been survivable, but together they proved to be too much.

The last three governors have resigned in disgrace over corruption charges. There's a reason Illinois is renowned for Democrat corruption - they single handedly feed the meme. For those of you who don't recall, Rod Blagovich was the previous elected governor who is now serving jail time for trying to literally SELL Obama's now vacant Senate seat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Here in MA our dumbasses keep electing Republican governors for some retarded reason.

gently caress Martha Coakley

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder, Gowdy also got wreck by Clinton during her 11 hour Mr. Ben Ghazi hearing.

A sweaty mess IIRC.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah Gowdy and the Hyper Chicken guy were basically just flop sweating and reading fanfic after 15 minutes

Clinton's makeup was even still on point at the end

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder, Gowdy also got wreck by Clinton during her 11 hour Mr. Ben Ghazi hearing.

A sweaty mess IIRC.
Where's the gif from that? I feel like that gif is going to get a lot of mileage.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This is the notorious Ben Gazi.

Trey Gowdy does not wear glasses, and is just a mild-mannered House Rep.

Reminds me of the Herlihy Boy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

A sweaty mess IIRC.

lol that was him? Perfect. I hope Trump surrounds himself with every Republican reject who went after Hillary throughout her career and failed miserably.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I skimmed over it, so maybe I missed this. Does this take into account that by this point the two candidates have usually already cleared their respective fields and are already consolidating their party behind them?

I doubt it would make a super significant difference, but if one party has their candidate and the other party is still fighting it out it seems like that could throw the results at least slightly.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What are the chances Schumer can round up enough Dems for a veto override of the "sue saudi arabia" bill

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DOOP posted:

What are the chances Schumer can round up enough Dems for a veto override of the "sue saudi arabia" bill

If I'm not mistaken this is a bad idea.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Zelder posted:

Dating black people to make black jokes is like, the third best thing about black people
Reason one is our alarming good looks and reason 2 is to be spared from Obama's final executive order

Nah that just makes you a closet white nationalist

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

Reminds me of the Herlihy Boy.

Let the boy see the emails!!!:qq:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

His Purple Majesty posted:

Nah that just makes you a closet white nationalist

Zelder is black.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mr Hootington posted:

If I'm not mistaken this is a bad idea.

someone should tell Chuckles this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DOOP posted:

someone should tell Chuckles this

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/17/september-11-saudi-arabia-senate-victim-lawsuit

Yep. Will be bad if they pass it. What a dipshit. Man I can not wait for him to be the majority leader of the senate. He will do a good job and not at all help pass very bad legislation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

quote:

“We’re not busy training people to blow up buildings and kill innocent civilians in other countries,” Schumer said.

Hope someone breaks it to the Military.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

a shameful boehner posted:

Obamacare's workin' great!!!!

she was 78, covered by Medicare, which Bernie said is great for everyone though???

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It is actually a problem with end-of-life decision making being curtailed by insane republican catholics.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"Why didn't the man who loved her and cared for her let us steal her away and keep her barely alive enough to feel pain in a windowless beige room for the next decade :( "

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

It is actually a problem with end-of-life decision making being curtailed by insane republican catholics.

Oh hey I'm here. So should we pressure the old to just shuffle off the mortal coil?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Generally speaking, deciding to put someone out of their misery without asking them about it is a crime. And it sounds like there were services available for them.

article posted:

Detectives said Hager told them he had contemplated shooting his wife for several days. Hager said his wife had talked about her desire to die, but she never asked him to kill her, according to his arrest report.

Neighbor Kathy Diamond, 70, said she retired six weeks ago from Hospice in St. Lucie County where she worked as a nurse. She said the circumstances of the death were difficult for her, saying Hospice has services available.

“When Hospice gets involved with somebody with terminal illness, we pay for medications, we pay for beds, we pay for equipment we pay for doctors,” Diamond said.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh hey I'm here. So should we pressure the old to just shuffle off the mortal coil?

Nope, nor should we criminalize death.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Well that's inhumane and I don't think it would just be the religious who will say so.

Stereotype posted:

Nope, nor should we criminalize death.

Well did she have an DNR?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Armyman25 posted:

Generally speaking, deciding to put someone out of their misery without asking them about it is a crime. And it sounds like there were services available for them.

Who, exactly, pays for this hospice service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I remember my aunt being absolutely furious at my dad for pretty much letting my grandmother die. Her quality of life was zero the year or so leading up to it. Alzheimer's mixed in with general old, failing body basically means you're a zombie with barely a hint of self-awareness. Keep her alive for what? Another visit or two where every few minutes she asks her grandsons who fathered her great grandson?

To me it's a quality of life issue. If someone's just sitting around where the most exciting part of their day is getting cleaned up after making GBS threads themselves then it's time to let nature run its course.

• Locked thread