Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Hopper posted:

Also noteworthy from that same article:

"Yesterday I visited the 7 Summit Expedition, and what I saw was frankly amazing. The Russians were very friendly and hospitable and I was invited to enjoy their sizeable leisure area with pool table, ping pong table, deck chairs, TV etc."

Translation and bolding mine. Excrements in the snow all over the place, but hey at least they have a pool table.

If you haven't seen it watch Sherpa and take a look at Himalayan Experience's community tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I watched some of the Nova doc linked a few pages back, and it really drives home how loving insane mountaineering people are

*sleeps on literal poo poo*

*sees human bones poking out of the lovely snow*

*is hypoxic*

yeah this is cool and good I'll be the 3423rd person to summit Everest :smug:

*dies and becomes a landmark for other retard climbers*

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The EverestNoFilter Brahs just said they are pushing for a window between the 22nd-24th. Stay tuned to snapchat if you want to see these guys make a no-oxygen summit push.

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005
Thought of you guys earlier. I'm doing the EBC trek right now and on the way from Thukla to Louboche, we passed the climbers memorials. So of course I had to look for our favorite Canadian, Shriya Shah Klorfine.

And hers was ridiculously easy to find. It was literally the second one I looked at and its got huge pictures of her on multiple sides. Other than Scott Fischer (who has a bright white memorial with SCOTT FISCHER painted on it in huge black letters), hers was probably easily the most identifiable.

Also I got to chat with the cameraman who filmed Everest: Doctors in the Death Zone for a while in a lodge one night so that was awesome. He's there this year with a UAE military team, filming for National Geographic Middle East. He also filmed a six part series on K2. Hardcore, man, trekking was enough for me!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

blackcross posted:

Thought of you guys earlier. I'm doing the EBC trek right now and on the way from Thukla to Louboche, we passed the climbers memorials. So of course I had to look for our favorite Canadian, Shriya Shah Klorfine.

And hers was ridiculously easy to find. It was literally the second one I looked at and its got huge pictures of her on multiple sides. Other than Scott Fischer (who has a bright white memorial with SCOTT FISCHER painted on it in huge black letters), hers was probably easily the most identifiable.

Also I got to chat with the cameraman who filmed Everest: Doctors in the Death Zone for a while in a lodge one night so that was awesome. He's there this year with a UAE military team, filming for National Geographic Middle East. He also filmed a six part series on K2. Hardcore, man, trekking was enough for me!

No pics, mods?

But really though I wish you luck and hope you don't die on the mountain.

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

bradzilla posted:

No pics, mods?

But really though I wish you luck and hope you don't die on the mountain.

Thanks! I'm on the way back down, in Namche Bazaar now and I should have just one last day of hiking and then fly out Friday morning.

Also, I have lots of pics but......um.....I don't know how to move them from my camera to my iPad. So they may have to wait until I'm back at a computer.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

blackcross posted:

And hers was ridiculously easy to find. It was literally the second one I looked at and its got huge pictures of her on multiple sides

We're the pictures of her flag draped corpse photoshopped onto other mountains?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
that guy must have some really sweet quads

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also sweet herniated disks in his cervical vertebrae

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Nothing OSHA can't take care of

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Back in 1996 Sandy Pittman was shredded in the press for daring to take a 'cappuccino making machine' which turned out to be a goofy pot thing that you shook to make a 'cappuccino'

quote:

In the weeks after the disaster, it was reported by Krakauer and other media that Hill brought a cappuccino machine to the Himalayas, along with her favorite Dean & DeLuca coffee beans.

Those luxuries allegedly came to symbolize the then-41-year-old's privileged position, since she paid around $65,000 like the rest of her team for a place in the group to climb the 29,000-foot peak.

'It conjures up this image of a giant professional espresso maker, when in fact it was a little coffee pot that percolates from the bottom, and just 8 inches tall,' Hill told The Post.

'You hear climbers pat each other on the back joking about so-and-so not being able to get out of his tent without his strong cup of coffee and he's considered this macho guy.

'But I'm at base camp, where a yak has carried up this coffee pot weighing less than a pound, and I'm making this frothy milk by putting powder in a jar and shaking it up and imagining that it's foaming.

And now, pool tables.

Sandy Pittman was a pioneer, man.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Whats interesting about the EverestNoFilter people is that they're not using oxygen and they seem to have a team of medical professionals at home looking at biometric data and providing guidance. They also have a doctor with them who apparently doesn't do well at altitude.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is there any way to follow them without snapchat?
I am old

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Skarsnik posted:

Is there any way to follow them without snapchat?
I am old

yeah just check the obituaries

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
There hasn't been enough poo poo in the EverestNoFilter snaps. Though we did get a toilet shot a couple days ago.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I just started watching the everestnofilter people and they all appear to be insufferable assholes.

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
OK nobody else die, I was the first person to guess one.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Goddammit that was a firework inside of a tent. Yep. Someone's going to die

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ChrisHansen posted:

Goddammit that was a firework inside of a tent. Yep. Someone's going to die

What what?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Outrail posted:

What what?

Who doesn't bring fireworks to launch at the top of a mountain? You wanna celebrate right? The loud pop or noise certainly wouldn't cause issues.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Beastie posted:

The EverestNoFilter Brahs just said they are pushing for a window between the 22nd-24th. Stay tuned to snapchat if you want to see these guys make a no-oxygen summit push.

they are supplementing with soylent :lol:

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

"Almost 200 climbers currently climbing to Nepal summit NOW"

I guess it's time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

they are supplementing with soylent :lol:

The heavy metals kill non‐essential organs so there’s less tissue that needs oxygen.

#lifehack

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 19, 2016

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Yep. Everestnofilter Bros are on their way. They did a nice plug for soylent :confuoot:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

blackcross posted:

I'm doing the trek in the fall. Would you mind giving me a few hints/tipps on what to expect/what to do/what to bring and what to leave back home?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
High altitude supposedly fucks with your taste buds, the rat poo poo is probably a nice change of pace for your digestive system from human diarrhea tea, and you won't even notice the mental degradation from heavy metals because you are already loopy from lack of oxygen. Everest seems like the one place its not a bad idea to drink some nutrient cum.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
You have a way with words, Im sold on nutrient cum now

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
According to spiegel.de at least 150 have summited today and should be on the way back down.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm not sure there's even any bragging rights left if you do something along with 150 other people.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm not sure there's even any bragging rights left if you do something along with 150 other people.

About 5000 people have reached the summit, so thats more rare than being in the US house of representatives (~10,000), but less rare than being in space (~500)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

RKRGoat posted:

"Almost 200 climbers currently climbing to Nepal summit NOW"

I guess it's time.

Gimme 8 for the mountain gods please.

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

Sherpa down it looks like :(

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

RKRGoat posted:

Sherpa down it looks like :(

You mean the one that fell off Lhotse?

The Hillary step is pretty nasty this year, lots of snow and a big corniche on top, we'll see how that affects the traffic.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The EverestNoFilter guys seem pretty alright. How are they insufferable?

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I might be a negative nancy, but I find anyone who drinks soylent to he insufferable

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
If this guy was selling water in the desert and I was dying of thirst, I would still be skeptical

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/10/soylent-creator-hacks-pooping.html?mid=twitter_nymag

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone who does some sort of challenge to not use more than a certain amount of something is insufferable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I want the soylent guy to jump out a glass window when it's discovered his product is pure cancer to his escape ornithopter

That's why he has flight suits all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Soylent is a sponsor, gently caress them for getting someone else to pay for their adventures, right?