Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Witcher 1 was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Witcher 2 has a great payoff at the end where in the middle of a burned city next to mountains of corpses you have a long chat with Letho who you were searching for the entire game. You get all the answers you've ever wanted, shake hands with the guy who came closest to being Gerald's equal and you go home. It was really satisfying imo.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Palpek posted:

Witcher 2 has a great payoff at the end where in the middle of a burned city next to mountains of corpses you have a long chat with Letho who you were searching for the entire game. You get all the answers you've ever wanted, shake hands with the guy who came closest to being Gerald's equal and you go home. It was really satisfying imo.

For real. The lead up as you slowly approach him, expecting a boss fight or such. It made sparing him and running into him, getting to fight by his side in W3 even more amazing. To some it might've been an anticlimatic ending but to me it was perfect. The man you chased the entire game. Once he explains everything it all makes sense too. Why he spared you, didn't actually hurt Triss/saved her. Etc etc.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really would advise anyone to give TW1 a shot, it's worth it if only to experience the world it introduces.
The setting, the characters, the creatures, the locales, and the wonderful music are all things you really have to experience yourself.

I also loved the meditation and alchemy system in it, I was really upset that it never returned in TW3 and the mods that do re-add some aspects of it are cool but the game is very obviously not balanced around that level of encounter prep anymore.

If anything, absolutely watch an LP of the first game, I can definitely admit it's not the greatest game to play... especially with that loving awful combat system whose only real cool idea is the stance system.
But then again, you won't be the one making story choices and things of that nature so I don't know! Get a mod that trivializes the combat maybe, that's my biggest mark against the game... otherwise I loved TW1 and plan to play it again after I'm through with TW3.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Deakul posted:

but the game is very obviously not balanced around that level of encounter prep anymore.

I felt like the HoS bosses actually went back to this a little bit. I had to plan ahead and change my build a bit to get through them (this was in NG+ Death March)

It's why HoS is so much harder than the base game. The build you've run the base game through might not be viable there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the Wolven armor good? It looks fantastic but it seems really generalist. Then again, I kind of want to do a slightly generalist build anyway, and I've heard that the DLC is harder in such a way that the classic only-red-ability glass cannons aren't as sustainable.

Palpek posted:

That part owns so much. In fact, in all my playthroughs of TW2, I've never been able to bring myself to kill Letho. It's so much more satisfying to talk it out.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I bought a copy of The World of the Witcher and had it delivered to work. Opened it up to a random page and there were boobs now I'm fired thanks a lot Witcher :mad:

BR0ME0
Apr 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

Is the Wolven armor good? It looks fantastic but it seems really generalist. Then again, I kind of want to do a slightly generalist build anyway, and I've heard that the DLC is harder in such a way that the classic only-red-ability glass cannons aren't as sustainable.

I have it, and it's generally good across the board. I main red dodge/counter and adrenaline bonus abilities with second level shield/fire/hypnosis spells, and it seems to be a good mix of armor/perks/regen.

I'm about to hit 40, so I'm starting to find gear that has slightly higher stats and interesting perks, but if you spend a day hunting it down and getting the materials for it, it's worth it in my opinion.

Plus, fancy codpiece!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Harrow posted:

That part owns so much. In fact, in all my playthroughs of TW2, I've never been able to bring myself to kill Letho. It's so much more satisfying to talk it out.

It's pretty lame, and nowhere near as difficult as the first fight against him. You absolutely school him, it's over in like 10 seconds at most.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's pretty lame, and nowhere near as difficult as the first fight against him. You absolutely school him, it's over in like 10 seconds at most.

The first fight against was a pretty goddamn good boss fight. I actually let a "Oh poo poo" slip out when he put up a Quen shield.

Also liked the fight against both Viper School Witchers in the King's tent, in Act 2, though it wasn't that challenging.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I've got all the mastercrafted armor and swords except Griffin from my original play through. I'm rocking the Skellige armor now, and running around finding the blueprints for the Griffin stuff, as well as the upgrade to the mastercrafted stuff. Does it actually look different, or is it the same model as mastercrafted, just higher stats?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I hated the first Letho fight in Witcher 2. But, I hate pretty much any boss fight where you get the cutscene afterwards, owning your character (even if you owned your adversary in the actual fight) for the sake of the almighty story. Just have it all be a cutscene if you're gonna be like that...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Witcher 1 is very RPG-ish, to the point where there's even an overhead tactical view. Although you can do the sword swing timing thing, combat is still very dice-rolley--both your and enemy attacks will connect or miss seemingly randomly.

Even if you get the developer-created Full Combat Rebalance mod, combat can be frustrating because enemies will hit you through their stun animations, so it's not possible to keep even just one enemy safely locked down. If you're coming to it from the very well designed action combat of Witcher 3, it can be frustrating.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nycticeius posted:

The first fight against was a pretty goddamn good boss fight. I actually let a "Oh poo poo" slip out when he put up a Quen shield.

Also liked the fight against both Viper School Witchers in the King's tent, in Act 2, though it wasn't that challenging.

I liked the reverse section of that second duel where you get to see how strong geralt is from the receiving end.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked the reverse section of that second duel where you get to see how strong geralt is from the receiving end.

It was an interesting setup and I loved the concept, but it broke my immersion (yeah, really) because that Geralt acted way differently than I did.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Palpek posted:

I AM BRAWW posted:

For real. The lead up as you slowly approach him, expecting a boss fight or such. It made sparing him and running into him, getting to fight by his side in W3 even more amazing. To some it might've been an anticlimatic ending but to me it was perfect. The man you chased the entire game. Once he explains everything it all makes sense too. Why he spared you, didn't actually hurt Triss/saved her. Etc etc.
Yeah, I really loved how I felt like I had no reason to fight Letho. Hell he ended up saving Triss and in my playthrough of 2 I played Geralt as not giving a poo poo about the Northern Kings and joined up with Iorveth. I really love games that make an effective climax by just talking with the main antagonist.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BR0ME0 posted:

I have it, and it's generally good across the board. I main red dodge/counter and adrenaline bonus abilities with second level shield/fire/hypnosis spells, and it seems to be a good mix of armor/perks/regen.

I'm about to hit 40, so I'm starting to find gear that has slightly higher stats and interesting perks, but if you spend a day hunting it down and getting the materials for it, it's worth it in my opinion.

Plus, fancy codpiece!

That's pretty close to the build I want to go for--decent Igni and Axii, the two alchemy abilities it seems like every build wants (Acquired Tolerance and Synergy), and then red from there on.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Warning: spoilers for 2+3

The best thing about Witcher 2 is how so much of the game is people treating Letho like some dumb goon and him outsmarting the poo poo out of everyone regardless. He kills Demavend with everyone being powerless to stop him, kills Foltest with Geralt standing right there. Hell, look at the end of the game. Síle tells you how he was the one behind everything all along, and what happens 30 seconds after that? She dies because she got outsmarted too. Then if you talk to him after and you saved her, he tells you it would've been kinder to let her die because of what Nilfgaard will end up doing to her, and he's right because she ends up getting tortured to death in prison instead.

My only advice for anyone going into Witcher 2 is for the love of god, make sure you choose the Iorveth path. I feel bad for all the people that only played through it once and chose the Roche path, because they probably just think the game was pretty good instead of being amazing. Roche is literally the only good thing about the Roche path. Iorveth as a character is lame, but 90% of all the best characters and storylines are exclusive to the Iorveth path. Seriously, that game has some of my favorite scenes/writing of all time, and some characters that aren't that interesting in 3 were really awesome in 2.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Selane posted:

My only advice for anyone going into Witcher 2 is for the love of god, make sure you choose the Iorveth path. I feel bad for all the people that only played through it once and chose the Roche path, because they probably just think the game was pretty good instead of being amazing. Roche is literally the only good thing about the Roche path. Iorveth as a character is lame, but 90% of all the best characters and storylines are exclusive to the Iorveth path. Seriously, that game has some of my favorite scenes/writing of all time, and some characters that aren't that interesting in 3 were really awesome in 2.

Tattoo party

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know what you're talking about, I love the Roche path just as much as Iorveth. You get to deal with dethmold and run from a giant chicken surrounded by penis mushrooms. Vergen is definitely the better hub town but roche's path has got some seriously heavy moments. And it has cool tattooed ves and not bratty teenager Witcher 3 ves.

And uorveth act three is a slog because traveling through the public areas just gets half the guards attacking you.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 18, 2016

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I enjoyed both paths a lot, although would say Iorveth's is overall better of the two because those dwarves are just hilarious. Roche's path has Odrin though. :haw:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Selane posted:

Warning: spoilers for 2+3

The best thing about Witcher 2 is how so much of the game is people treating Letho like some dumb goon and him outsmarting the poo poo out of everyone regardless. He kills Demavend with everyone being powerless to stop him, kills Foltest with Geralt standing right there. Hell, look at the end of the game. Síle tells you how he was the one behind everything all along, and what happens 30 seconds after that? She dies because she got outsmarted too. Then if you talk to him after and you saved her, he tells you it would've been kinder to let her die because of what Nilfgaard will end up doing to her, and he's right because she ends up getting tortured to death in prison instead.

Regarding Síle's fate: Isn't she tortured in one of Radovid's prisons? Good point though. Letho is cool as hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Yeah I enjoyed both paths a lot, although would say Iorveth's is overall better of the two because those dwarves are just hilarious. Roche's path has Odrin though. :haw:

Dealing with Odrin or discussing Sheldon's gently caress-date? The hardest decision in the game.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Selane posted:

I played both paths and Roche's was definitely the most fun. There are great scenes like the one with him charging through battle and jumping through a broken bridge, shouting "gently caress!" and immediately knocking an enemy down. He bursts into Dethmold's bedroom and breaks his arm, then cuts off his balls, stuffs them down his throat before slitting it. Blue Stripes tattoo quest. Murdering King Henselt, no way I could let him live after the "squeaky hinge" comment and that's another thing, that I felt strong feelings (for a game) about Roche and Ves, that the comment actually resolved me to let Roche do his thing. I actually felt a camaraderie with Roche at times which Iorveth never inspired, that we had each other's back, and was so pleased to see him in Wild Hunt and supported him all the way in his quests there. The fact that Roche is a cool guy and a true bro, and Iorveth is a whiny bitch certainly affects the fun of the paths for me.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 18, 2016

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Konsek posted:

Blue Stripes tattoo quest.

Wait, isn't this in Flotsam, before you choose a path? Or is there an additional tattoo-related thing on Roche's path that I'm shamefully forgetting?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I prefer Roche's path also, though Vergen has some of the best game music ever in an otherwise disappointing soundtrack. The 'Dwarven Stone upon Dwarven Stone' track is just... yes.

Still, I said it before but Witcher 2 was a real disappointment when I replayed it not long ago. I love the political storyline but that's pretty much it in terms of what the game has to offer I think... Gameplaywise, it just never reaches a high point. Floatsam is probably the best area though it still feels pretty boring I think. The Act 2 split paths is like... a lovely idea that always gets me excited. But again, when I actually get down to playing it's just... not very fun. Especially not the whole "relive the battlefield" poo poo, ugh. It's such a boring slog. And then Loc Muinne just feels disjointed and not at all as interesting as it should be. Not even after the additions they did for it.
Witcher 1 is janky as hell but for me Witcher 2 is easily the most boring to play in the trilogy. It's just... never a lot of fun, never reaches any real highpoints outside storystuff. It's just kinda meh throughout.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've tried to replay Witcher 2 like three times and give up every time. I really want to see the Iorveth path but the game really feels like the awkward middle part of the trilogy where, having abandoned most of what didn't work in TW1 (see: most of TW1, much as I love it), they hadn't quite worked out what they want to make yet

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

jaete posted:

Wait, isn't this in Flotsam, before you choose a path? Or is there an additional tattoo-related thing on Roche's path that I'm shamefully forgetting?

It's a while since I last played so you you're probably right and I just lumped it in with Roche's path.

I have so little time to play games these days, I actually started playing The Witcher 3 in August and I'm only just nearing the end of Hearts Of Stone on my first playthrough. I'll be done just in time for Blood And Wine which will probably take me a couple of months. Literally a whole year of my gaming life taken up by one game. Thank you CDPR.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i BOUGHT the game and the expansion packs on pc but I didn't seem to get any of the extra DLC that was free etc; where can i get it on pc for GOG?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Abu Dave posted:

i BOUGHT the game and the expansion packs on pc but I didn't seem to get any of the extra DLC that was free etc; where can i get it on pc for GOG?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh word thanks I feel dumb

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I decided to back track and play the first two games. I couldn't get Witcher 2 to run well on my PC because apparently they never optimized it for the Enhanced Edition for whatever reason so I ended up ordering a copy for my 360. I was able to play Witcher 1 and...its surprisingly good. It's dated, obviously, but I like how it attempts to make the point-and-click fighting engaging. It's pretty ambitious, and the intro cutscene was pretty good. Wasn't the company drat near bankrupt at this point?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Their first attempt at a console release flopped in development and nearly sank the company

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

404notfound posted:

Witcher 1 is very RPG-ish, to the point where there's even an overhead tactical view. Although you can do the sword swing timing thing, combat is still very dice-rolley--both your and enemy attacks will connect or miss seemingly randomly.

Even if you get the developer-created Full Combat Rebalance mod, combat can be frustrating because enemies will hit you through their stun animations, so it's not possible to keep even just one enemy safely locked down. If you're coming to it from the very well designed action combat of Witcher 3, it can be frustrating.

My memory of Witcher 1 combat is upgrade the group style and then win really easily.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Will CDPR put out a list of the bugfixes coming in the patch? I'm really hoping the surround sound bug is finally squished.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5BsJ1TRMh8

Guy talking about our environments. He thinks we do a good job (I agree).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5BsJ1TRMh8

Guy talking about our environments. He thinks we do a good job (I agree).

I like this guy's Walking the Walk series. Good analysis.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 19, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJT5XRftOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, I'm starting my fresh playthrough before doing the DLCs. Is there an accepted good way to make money now? I remember really struggling for gold for most of the game my first time through and I'm not super interested in having that particular experience again.

This is gonna own real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Looks like Witcher 3 will be my GotY two years running at this rate.