Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Love that club, saves me so many shots. I launch it quite high though, had the chance to get it in 1i but decided against it. Hard to find now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Lol it's not so bad, I'm a local and don't spend much time in Bingo itself.

JDay has shown me the light and I'm gonna play around with this thing a bit once again I think.
If When you fall out of love with it, I'll take it off your hands for $50.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I just spent 4 hours working on my chipping and putting this weekend. I ache everywhere, but my putting and chipping feel as good as they've ever felt. Playing the first place team in the league tomorrow. Time to make our move

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Suprfli6 posted:

Lol it's not so bad, I'm a local and don't spend much time in Bingo itself.

JDay has shown me the light and I'm gonna play around with this thing a bit once again I think.

I bought one yesterday.

I was flying 210-220m when I hit it clean on the monitor, and most importantly i was hitting it straight 8/10

Even my pushes were only maybe 15m right

It's my new tee club I think when I need accuracy. It's amazing.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So coincidentally I played a round or 17 holes rather, on Saturday with no woods at all. I had been using a very old tmade driver I bought in the r9 days and on the first hole the head snapped off the shaft. Luckily the resulting drive wasn't terrible. From there on out I tee'd off using my 3 iron on every hole where I would normally use a 3wood or driver. Had a few mis-hits, but wasn't bad, my flush shots were about 240 yards and my mishits were in the 215 range so only the par5's were kind of a slog. Ended up with more bogies that I would have liked as a result, but given it's my second round with these irons and I didn't play for 4 months before that i'll take it. Stuck a 168 yard par3 with my 8 iron to 2ft and had a nice easy birdie putt. Hilariously the 2 guys I was playing with both dumped their tee shots short right of the green and when I hit they were both like ahh man that's gotta go, it's going to be short of the green and I was like :smuggo: wtf you talking about, that's all over the flag ... ball drops 2 ft left of the hole, pin high. Thanks for your golf commentary, don't quit your day job.

Major issue of the day though, chipping! was either too short or too long pretty much every time I pulled out my 56, only 1 solid approach from 105 with it all day. Also think I got this new putter in check as my PPH dropped to 2.4 over the 3.8 from my last round with it.

Edit: Plan on having new driver and 3 wood in hand no later than Friday of this week and possibly a 3 hybrid as well so my set will be "complete"

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Spent some time yesterday on the course hitting the XR 4 wood and made definite improvements. I'll still hit 4i if there's any trouble to worry about but the 4W was a consistent 220-230 carry with a nice smooth swing. There's really only a couple spots where I'll hit it during a typical round but it should be useful.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Having watched my handicap creep up from 20 to 21.5, I decided that I needed a new approach to practicing. I went to the range and rather than hit the same club 5 times in a row I did a simulated game from the driving range. For example, I'd hit driver, and select a 4 hybrid, 6 iron, or PW depending on how good the drive was. I also simulated 20 yard pitch shots.

My 4 and 5 hybrids are very inconsistent. I don't take a divot with these and end up with a lot of low shots that go about 150 yards. I hit the 7,8,9 and wedges pretty good, and I did surprisingly well with the 5 wood. 6 Iron was meh.

Any ideas?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

Having watched my handicap creep up from 20 to 21.5, I decided that I needed a new approach to practicing. I went to the range and rather than hit the same club 5 times in a row I did a simulated game from the driving range. For example, I'd hit driver, and select a 4 hybrid, 6 iron, or PW depending on how good the drive was. I also simulated 20 yard pitch shots.

My 4 and 5 hybrids are very inconsistent. I don't take a divot with these and end up with a lot of low shots that go about 150 yards. I hit the 7,8,9 and wedges pretty good, and I did surprisingly well with the 5 wood. 6 Iron was meh.

Any ideas?

You shouldn't really be taking a divot with a hybrid anyway. If the trajectory is low though you may be hitting it low on the face. Distance I can't really tell you though as I don't know what you'd normally hit a good 4/5 hybrid distance wise. If they are both around 150 then you are probably lofting the club up with how you swing, but impacting low on the face like you're almost topping the ball. A buddy of mine used to hit his 3hy like a fairway wood so the ball was further up in his stance and he would constantly hook the ball or top it. When he finally got it in his head to hit it like he would an iron he started making much better contact. Technically a hybrid should be easier than an iron of the same loft because you're not require to hit down into the ball for the same results, also bigger face etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Bush has it. Hybrids should basically swing like an iron but take a divot (or lack thereof) like a fairway wood. Swing it more easily like you would a 7 iron and let the weight of the club do the work for you. Catching a hybrid with square contact is something very close to golf heroin. Ideally a 5hy (and even 4hy) should be launching high and landing soft.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Catching a hybrid with square contact is something very close to golf heroin.
Someone has never pured a 1 iron. :smug:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like to play golf with my friends (:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DJExile posted:

Catching a hybrid with square contact is something very close to golf heroin.

I think catching just about any iron perfectly is better than catching a hybrid, but that could just be my opinion.

I only have success hitting my hybrid when I do take a little bit of a divot. If I try to sweep it then the shot shall suck.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i like it when i hit teh ball real good (:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

No one has ever pured a 1 iron. :smug:

ftfy!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

<Insert quip about today's 4 irons being the same loft and length as 1 irons a couple decades ago>

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I also think today's 22 degree 4 irons also launch at 30 degrees due to all the cup blade super master blaster faces and xenium dilithium face forged speed slots.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Wow, Jamie Sadlowski shot a 65 in his US Open qualifier, with Gary McCord as his caddie. I hope he does well enough to make the Open, that would be entertaining as hell.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So I dug out my android wear watch after realising I can use it as a poor man's gps watch. Looking at free apps there is either game golf or 19th hole.

I know game golf has the tags, which I might go down that route in the future but for now would prefer to go without. Also 19th Hole does have the ability to ore load the course which saves on data which is nice.

Anyone here using either app on android or ios with the apple watch or Android wear have a preference?

I am pretty much looking to use it for distance and simple shot tagging, does one perform better than the other in anyone experience?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I use and love Golf Pad. Use it on my HTC One M8 with my Pebble Time watch every Sunday.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Pfft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZ7ap375PQ

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

daslog posted:

Any ideas?

Don't hit balls every swing. Instead, take 5-20 practice swings and really focus on trying to implement what you're working on, then hit 1 ball. Repeat as many times as it takes.

It's boring but very effective.

Practice hitting partial shots, like hitting a 9 iron 100 yards. And always use an alignment rod.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

What's the best way to calculate handicap strokes in a two man best ball match?

Team 1: handicaps 3 and 10
Team 2: handicaps 12 and 14

Is it easiest to just give everyone strokes based on their handicap or would it make more sense to have the lowest guy play as a scratch and then calculate based off of that - so the 10 would get 7 strokes, 12 gets 9 and the 14 gets 11

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
We always have the lowest play to a 0 and everyone else adjusts off of that.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
golf is fun but I dont like it when I hit it into the river ):

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

218 yds into the 40 mph wind should have been an easy 5 iron! Nicklaus owns

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

ironlung posted:

What's the best way to calculate handicap strokes in a two man best ball match?

Team 1: handicaps 3 and 10
Team 2: handicaps 12 and 14

See http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Handi_Ref_Manual.pdf where it's called a four-ball.

ironlung posted:

Is it easiest to just give everyone strokes based on their handicap or would it make more sense to have the lowest guy play as a scratch and then calculate based off of that - so the 10 would get 7 strokes, 12 gets 9 and the 14 gets 11

If it's match play, the latter is what it recommends.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Omerta posted:

Don't hit balls every swing. Instead, take 5-20 practice swings and really focus on trying to implement what you're working on, then hit 1 ball. Repeat as many times as it takes.

It's boring but very effective.

Practice hitting partial shots, like hitting a 9 iron 100 yards. And always use an alignment rod.

So here is an interesting follow up. I went to the range and the pro was giving free 10 minute lessons to everyone.

I bend my knees too much (not surprising after having new surgery last year) and I don't bend over enough and I need to stick my rear end out.

This worked wonderfully for a while, then I started to lose it and find it and lose it during the rest of my range session. :downs:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like to get pars, If I could just get a par everytime I would be happy (:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Spieth looking much better today, hope it continues.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So uh, my brothers neighbor who is like a 2 handicapper or something has a golf closet full of goodies. Dude recently picked up a set of those PXG irons and after having much success with them decided to buy the driver as well for a cool 650 which he then put a custom shaft on..so he's like 800 dollars into this driver right now. Then he tells me he has a Taylormade M1 Tour that he used a few times and is looking to get rid of it. Told him I'd give him $150 for it and to my surprise he said that would probably work just fine! Now I just need to figure out when he's going to be around so I can grab it..he said he has a 60g "Sniper" X-Stiff shaft on it, whatever a sniper is, I've never heard of it, but the rest sounds perfect for me. Now I can spend this birthday golf club monies on a 3 wood and 3hy instead! Whew.

In other news I got in a solid 9holes before a down pour after work the other day. Shot a 41 using only my irons..this is the same 9 I played last weekend and shot a 52 on. So bright side, the game is coming back to where it should be. Now if I can parlay that into a full solid 18 I'll be happy again. Always sucks finishing out a season with a 82 on a brutal course, then your clubs get stolen later that night and you don't play for 4 1/2 months and upon your return you shoot like 130.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 20, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What do you guys usually use to clean your grips?

I have a 100 year old bottle of Bleche White but that thing is about dead.

I just re-gripped my clubs so I'd like to get the most out of them. Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 if anyone cares.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
just hot water/dish soap/brush is all I do to my grips.

PXG: did your boy go for the full $10,000 fitting in Scottsdale that includes fitting/golfing/Fireball shots/strippers/ho's/etc?

Those things are Mad Max Fury Road Death Metal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

just hot water/dish soap/brush is all I do to my grips.

PXG: did your boy go for the full $10,000 fitting in Scottsdale that includes fitting/golfing/Fireball shots/strippers/ho's/etc?

Those things are Mad Max Fury Road Death Metal.

The PXG Experience starts at $12,500. No idea if club cost is included in that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

I just re-gripped my clubs so I'd like to get the most out of them. Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 if anyone cares.
Soapy water and toothbush.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Soap, hot water, toothbrush as well.

I so want to like the Plus 4s. MCC is a great grip, but I must have lady hands. I don't want reduced taper, and I definitely don't want a larger grip. I just got a new hybrid and wedge super cheap, and both had JUMBO grips installed. Who are these freak, giant golfers? It's like I was gripping a paper towel tube. No bueno.

Installed some Golf Pride CP2 grips, and I'm really liking them.

I need to do a WITB soon. Just installed an Oban Kiyoshi purple in my driver. I'm very much in love right now.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 21, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack Nicklaus is a Trump supporter: http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/280788-jack-nicklaus-trump-is-awakening-the-country

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kameh posted:

Soap, hot water, toothbrush as well.

I so want to like the Plus 4s. MCC is a great grip, but I must have lady hands. I don't want reduced taper, and I definitely don't want a larger grip. I just got a new hybrid and wedge super cheap, and both had JUMBO grips installed. Who are these freak, giant golfers? It's like I was gripping a paper towel tube. No bueno.

Installed some Golf Pride CP2 grips, and I'm really liking them.

I need to do a WITB soon. Just installed an Oban Kiyoshi purple in my driver. I'm very much in love right now.

I hate the full jumbos but I played Midsize for a long time and currently go with standard +2 wraps which is a good place. Wait till you are over 45 (arthritis and old injuries). You will randomly drop poo poo all the time too, it's awesome.

My left hand got squished playing football and most of my fingers are janky from football as well, so that didn't help. Meh.

Got some Srixon z745's and I like them very much. I only go up to 6 iron because I am old and have hybrids. :colbert:

^^^^^and I bet >95% of PGA golfers are Trumpers.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So is Mickelson. I'd actually be shocked if most pro golfers were anything but conservative weenies. I mean c'mon, it's a sport literally created for the entitled rich white male.

Also I like the grip that came on my Nike driver and 5W.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I've had so many finger fractures and sprains from 12 years playing keeper year-round, I'm not looking forward to the arthritis down the line.

I've never cleaned my club grips before, I should do that. My Bridgestone irons I got used have the stock grips on them and they're starting to get a little slick compared to my other clubs, I was just going to get them regripped this year but maybe there's something I can do to prolong their life a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

So is Mickelson. I'd actually be shocked if most pro golfers were anything but conservative weenies. I mean c'mon, it's a sport literally created for the entitled rich white male.

Also I like the grip that came on my Nike driver and 5W.
If the fans are anything to go by...