Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

It's extremely bizarre to me wanting to trade a good, young, cheap known asset in Okafor in order to build around a whole lot of stuff you haven't seen in person.
Because he would have a higher trade value than either Nerlens Noel or Joel Embiid, and unless the new coach plans to try to play each in a 30 mpg rotation one of the three is going to have to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

Because he would have a higher trade value than either Nerlens Noel or Joel Embiid, and unless the new coach plans to try to play each in a 30 mpg rotation one of the three is going to have to go.

Maybe keep the guy that is the better player of the three so far? Maybe not keep the guy who is the worst of the three and up for a big new deal after next season? Maybe see what that mystery third guy can do before you make any decisions around him? And if you have to trade Okafor right now because this is his max value, why are you willing to do it for one of the next tier down talents in a weak draft?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 19, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Maybe keep the guy that is the better player of the three so far? Maybe not keep the guy who is the worst of the three and up for a big new deal after next season? Maybe see what that mystery third guy can do before you make any decisions around him? And if you have to trade Okafor right now because this is his max value, why are you willing to do it for one of the next tier down talents in a weak draft?
Look man Sam Hinkle is dead but THE PROCESS LIVES ON

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

straight up brolic posted:

Boston would literally never ever do this so you're in luck.

Philly never would either. Considering the mandates coming from the front office, the last things they need are an incredibly raw 18 year old 7 footer + a point guard who's not a great distributor and just had one of the worst shooting seasons of all time.

Boston's best bet may be to trade down if teams like Orlando and Phoenix are in love with Bender.

#3 + #23 and a few second rounders for for #11 + Hezonja and they take Valentine with the #11.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I'm very excited to see how many games the Philadelphia Process wins next year.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
From my casual browsing of mock drafts I'm surprised to see that Ingram vs. Simmons is literally fifty-fifty. I feel like usually there's a consensus pick and then another guy that people claim could or should go number one but obviously won't.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Siguy posted:

From my casual browsing of mock drafts I'm surprised to see that Ingram vs. Simmons is literally fifty-fifty. I feel like usually there's a consensus pick and then another guy that people claim could or should go number one but obviously won't.

Seemed a bit more in Simmons favor to me, but there was a strong divide on which one Philly should draft. I'm curious to see how the favorite progresses over time and the perception as to who is the better fit for which team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Siguy posted:

El-Random on the NBA draft subreddit maintains an aggregate of just about all of them.

There's been an influx of garbage over the past 48 hours but there's actually been a lot of good stuff this year on players in that subreddit, one of the few I can recommend without a ton of reservation.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 19, 2016

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Simmons is the consensus better player and usually in the NBA it's better player regardless of position, unless the next best guy is a 6'11+ athletic big man. normally you don't even look at your own roster when drafting first overall. But you can't help but do that when your best three players play the same postion.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Slowpoke! posted:

Simmons is the consensus better player and usually in the NBA it's better player regardless of position, unless the next best guy is a 6'11+ athletic big man. normally you don't even look at your own roster when drafting first overall. But you can't help but do that when your best three players play the same postion.

I just hope the best available player at the slot the 76ers draft is a power forward for the next 11 years.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Libertine posted:

I just hope the best available player at the slot the 76ers draft is a power forward for the next 11 years.

I'll take Harry Giles in 2017 if you're forcing him on me :)

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Jota posted:

There are not gonna get Smart. They also aren't gonna get Thomas and they aren't gonna get Bradley. At best it would be like #3 and RJ Hunter if you're deadset on a guard

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Philly never would either. Considering the mandates coming from the front office, the last things they need are an incredibly raw 18 year old 7 footer + a point guard who's not a great distributor and just had one of the worst shooting seasons of all time.

Boston's best bet may be to trade down if teams like Orlando and Phoenix are in love with Bender.

#3 + #23 and a few second rounders for for #11 + Hezonja and they take Valentine with the #11.

WhyteRyce posted:

It's extremely bizarre to me wanting to trade a good, young, cheap known asset in Okafor in order to build around a whole lot of stuff you haven't seen in person.

These are all the reasons I'm not even sure if my proposal is fair or unfair to either team. Just depends on how much you value each piece. I'm not even a big fan of Smart or his outlook as a starter in this league. Does the #3 even carry much value? It seems like it would, only depending on if you need a decent guard or in the Celtics case, less so because they seem to need more front court help (or a game changing star, really).

If you believe Okafor can actually be a future star, then this is probably extremely low value in return for him. I generally have my reservations about him too, so I see this as a fair trade.

Of course, I don't expect this to be an actual trade to manifest, but aside from one fleecing the other, I'm not sure if there's much better.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 19, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
76ers, would you consider trading Okafor for the #5? Knee-jerk would be no, but then the 76ers might be interested in keeping the roster young & cheap.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

76ers, would you consider trading Okafor for the #5? Knee-jerk would be no, but then the 76ers might be interested in keeping the roster young & cheap.

:barf:

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
That all makes sense.

I've already seen posts by Lakers fans saying they want Ingram because they'll have to trade Randle if they get Simmons, which feels like a silly way to decide on potential superstars.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Siguy posted:

That all makes sense.

I've already seen posts by Lakers fans saying they want Ingram because they'll have to trade Randle if they get Simmons, which feels like a silly way to decide on potential superstars.

Other things that I've observed on r/Lakers and r/Boston Celtics:

- The Sixers will obviously pass on Simmons.
- If the Sixers do not, then Simmons will force his way to L.A.
-Terry Rozier is the key to acquiring Jahlil Okafor.
-Jared Sullinger has a similar value to the #3 pick.

Draft season brings out a lot of strangeness.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If Sullinger's back issues weren't so prevalent, wouldn't that basically be true? I know that's a big "if", but I'm curious.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Please just draft Simmons and go from there, Bryan.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Siguy posted:

That all makes sense.

Ingram seems like the more natural fit. Simmons may be a bit more the type that Kupchak would normally prefer, a very well rounded player except he needs to develop some range. But Ingram slots in at the 3, filling that hole nicely, and is NBA ready on offense. So, given the first spot, I suspect that they would take Ingram. Since they don't, they take whomever falls to them and will probably be happy. If somebody needs to slide over to the 3 or 5 spot for either a big line up or small, it might work out anyway. If not, Randle might become expendable for some veteran talent. It wouldn't be as seamless, but the Lakers would get better one one or the other. It's out if the Lakers hands unless they convince Philly to swap, and the price would probably be prohibitive. So, not gonna get too worked up over getting one over the other - I'm just happy they kept the number two position and will get a very good building block for the future.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Yes, that would be my reaction to that offer.

Jota fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 19, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ty1990 posted:

Please just draft Simmons and go from there, Bryan.

This will happen i know.

The question is if they trade for 3-5.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

This will happen i know.

The question is if they trade for 3-5.

I have nothing against Jah but if we can move him to acquire Jamal Murray, I'd be all for it. Then you cross your fingers for Joel to be healthy.

A front court with Simmons/Biid/Noel with Saric off the bench and Murray in the back court would be fun as gently caress to watch.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Is there an source to the Simmons forcing his way to LA rumor? I've read and heard people talking about it, but I haven't seen any sports journalists talking about it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

A front court with Simmons/Biid/Noel with Saric off the bench and Murray in the back court would be fun as gently caress to watch.

Praying to the based god for this.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

iamsosmrt posted:

Is there an source to the Simmons forcing his way to LA rumor? I've read and heard people talking about it, but I haven't seen any sports journalists talking about it.

I think it is true that he would prefer to be a Laker. I don't believe anyone knows the extent to which he will go to do so.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

Nothing reputable or rational. A lot of these rumors are local sports media, especially sports radio guys, making up stuff for ratings; e.g. the hot rumor in Boston this morning was that the Sixers were desperate to trade down to the #3 spot because they need a PG and would take Kris Dunn.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

iamsosmrt posted:

Niothing reputable, but he has been wearing Lakers gear all year, and tweeting about wanting to be a Laker. He clearly wants to be in LA, but I doubt it is enough to make him pull some poo poo against the 76ers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The only leverage he has is if he does not play basketball at all for a year. Even if you go overseas, as long as you get paid to play basketball the team that drafts you retains your rights. He can decide not to workout with them or whatever, but he really have very little say in the matter unless he wants to go sell condos or whatever instead of play pro ball.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That's good to know. I just hope when/if the Sixers take him, his reaction is a even slightly positive in comparison to Embiid's or Okafor's draft reactions.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This kind of posturing always happens around the draft. Of course a player wants to play for a huge market team. It almost never actually amounts to anything.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

That's good to know. I just hope when/if the Sixers take him, his reaction is a even slightly positive in comparison to Embiid's or Okafor's draft reactions.

Lol. Embiid was on tape delay and the camera view of Okafor 'dropping the jersey on the floor' cut out the table he was putting it on.

edit: and yeah it'll be fine. BB coached his father in Australia so there's a pretty strong family connect to the organization.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

iamsosmrt posted:

The Big Lead ran an article on it - seemed to be entirely speculation, though based on Simmons seeming preference to be a Laker. Their recent example was Porzingas' agent basically refusing to let Philly talk to him, or see him work out, and it worked. He fell to big market New York at the four spot. There's always the outright refusal to play and try and force a trade, but that can seriously backfire. Or go overseas, but players tend to rebel at that point and tell their agent to go to hell. Even then, signaling a dislike for a given team may mean they can only rent that player for so long before he bolts or becomes a locker-room nuisance. Given that they have two pretty solid choices, they may at least consider the path of least resistance. If he refuses to work out for Philly, that will be the point you know it is more than a rumor. Until then...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kataphract posted:

The Big Lead ran an article on it - seemed to be entirely speculation, though based on Simmons seeming preference to be a Laker. Their recent example was Porzingas' agent basically refusing to let Philly talk to him, or see him work out, and it worked. He fell to big market New York at the four spot. There's always the outright refusal to play and try and force a trade, but that can seriously backfire. Or go overseas, but players tend to rebel at that point and tell their agent to go to hell. Even then, signaling a dislike for a given team may mean they can only rent that player for so long before he bolts or becomes a locker-room nuisance. Given that they have two pretty solid choices, they may at least consider the path of least resistance. If he refuses to work out for Philly, that will be the point you know it is more than a rumor. Until then...

Very few people thought Porzingis should go above Okafor. LA taking Russell is why Zingis went to New York, I don't think the workouts had a lot to do with it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
It's not exactly uncommon that a player doesn't workout for the team that drafts them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

It's smoke and misreading another article.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also there are strongly sourced rumors that the Sixers ownership did not want Porzingis.

Also jfc the gap between Porzingis and Okafor is not that great. It's not ridiculous to take okafor first.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

Also there are strongly sourced rumors that the Sixers ownership did not want Porzingis.

Also jfc the gap between Porzingis and Okafor is not that great. It's not ridiculous to take okafor first.

Honestly it would have been seen as an insane gamble if they took Porzingis over Okafor. A lot of people liked him, but he was still a pretty big unknown to most people. It took a until the start of the season before the average New Yorkers realized that he wasn't Darko, and started hailing him as the second coming of jesus

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

It's not exactly uncommon that a player doesn't workout for the team that drafts them.

In the olden days I think it was but with agents being dicks about things teams have no choice.

And let's be honest, even if he refuses to meet with Philly, there is plenty of tape on the guy. You're not walking in blind.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

I think it's pretty big but Porzingis came out of nowhere, he easily could have been a bust. Okafor was the better pick at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Okafor was honestly better than expected. He shot well, his free throws were good. His handle and face up game was a revelation. He really can be an offensive force. And he was on a dog poo poo offensive team and really had to rely on isos with bad spacing against the other teams best big man defender. It was really impressive.

His defense was 19 year old big man defense and that has to get better but everyone knew he sucked at it.

I understand the Boston fight led to bad publicity but he also gets tarred by the national medias crusade against the Sixers. It's unfortunate and I hope he works out in Philly because he's so fun to watch by gah. Probably not.

• Locked thread