Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Answers Me posted:

Are there any other bands that are this good at cultivating their mystique and getting people to obsess over every little detail? Maybe Boards of Canada, but not quite to the same extent.

yes, huge acts like The Beatles and David Bowie have legions of extreme fans who know (or think they know) every little detail of every aspect of recording every song, the precise meaning and hidden meaning behind every word, the full detailed life story of every band member, producer, engineer, roadie, etc. and how that is reflected in the lyrics, etc.

also bands that developed their own sort of cult like the Grateful Dead have a lot of that going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

Are there more pictures than the one on the store front? Because it doesn't look like that.

It looks like that second page. Same color scheme.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BigFactory posted:

It looks like that second page. Same color scheme.

You mean red?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fun weekend exercise: Compile the 20-year evolution of True Love Waits from its Bends-era origins to what ended up on the new album. I'm just now listening to a show from 2006 (coincidentally where Thom first teased Burn the Witch) and it's played as a piano-driven intro to Everything in Its Right Place.

I sometimes wonder how much the band changes and experiments with songs before they finally make it onto an official album release. We get hints and snippets from time to time, but I think True Love Waits is kind of unique in that it routinely popped up in live performances from the mid-90s to today. Nude is probably the only other song I can think of that came as close to getting as much exposure before making it to an LP.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

You mean red?

Yeah, red and orange.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

"I feel tremendous guilt for any sexual feelings I have. So I end up spending my entire life feeling sorry for fancying somebody. Even in school I thought girls were so wonderful that I was scared to death of them. I masturbate a lot. That's how I deal with it."

"I guess I am narcisstic, but only in the sense that I am brilliant and tortured as well"

"Nobody wins the superbowl, I win the superbowl. I am the superbowl."

Thom "elliot rodger" yorke.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guys I flipped the image upside down.

I'm not crazy, right? They have a really similar structure.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

album artwork tends to have a common theme

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I hope you guys have read this fascinating and really interesting Oral History of OK Computer from the band themselves. Really gives you a good view into their mindset

http://www.clickhole.com/article/oral-history-radioheads-ok-computer-2370

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
This guy did a good acoustic cover of Decks Dark. He does have some chords wrong. WarrenMusic got it all correct as usual.

Warren Music is really a huge asset to musicians who love Radiohead. He makes covers and tutorials for almost all of their songs and every chord is correct. If you download tabs, you know that 90% of the time they have incorrect chords. But Warren always gets it right.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Another art piece dropped today. I hope these are daily because they're loving gorgeous.

The fire one seems to be a companion piece to The Numbers (Stanley Donwood posted this a while back), so if that's the theme I'm guessing this is Glass Eyes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The more I listen to A Moon Shaped Pool, the more my affection for it wanes. I don't think in the long term I'm going to consider it one of Radiohead's better albums.

Identikit is loving brilliant in a way I can barely articulate, though. Melancholic, bombastic, and funky all at once, and every part of it works. It just feels like a new signature Radiohead song, and I don't know if I've truly felt that way about anything else they've done since maybe Nude. And among the songs they debuted live in 2012, this was the one I was least excited about. What a wonderful surprise this turned out to be.

Edit: Ful Stop and Decks Dark are great, too, but holy poo poo do I love Identikit.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

The lyrics are good

Have you had enough of me?
Sweet darling
Have you had enough of me?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Listened to the album a bunch with friends over the weekend. I was surprised but everyone was really into it. Took a pic!

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

by the way are we hitting the gym later? I'll bring my Kid A vinyl

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No joke Amnesiac sounds wonderful on vinyl, and HTTT sounds hilariously better as well. The CD master for that one was not that great.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

In seriousness I really really love this album now, I can barely handle it. I guess this always happens but after 4 or 5 listens I really got an appreciation for how well the songs fit together (I don't know that that's apparent at first), how gorgeous some of these textures are, and how awesome Selden is on this one. I do agree with those who have said that the mix is a little muddy. Especially in spots like the end of Decks Dark. But it's tolerable.

In general I'd say it reminds me of some of the odder OK Computer b-sides, which is a very good thing IMO. Also Present Tense feels like it would've been at home on In Rainbows. I also always loved what they did with Videotape compared to the early versions -- and I know I'm in the minority on this -- because they took a pretty straight-ahead ballad and made it feel really eerie and lonely, and I feel the same way about True Love Waits here.

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 16, 2016

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Thanks for sharing this, I've never heard of this guy. This album sounds incredible, gonna take me a few more listens to soak it up. Pretty clear that Nigel has borrowed a lot from it - especially the string sound and arrangement.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

:unsmith: I'm thinking Desert Island Disk.

I really, really love these. I remember Donwood saying that the album's cover was made at least partially using the weather. I wonder if that's true of the whole series. If so I'd love to see how they were made some day.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Not feeling any of the current art.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ICHIBAHN posted:

Not feeling any of the current art.

I think it all looks cool, but album art usually tells more if an obvious story?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Seaniqua posted:

Thanks for sharing this, I've never heard of this guy. This album sounds incredible, gonna take me a few more listens to soak it up. Pretty clear that Nigel has borrowed a lot from it - especially the string sound and arrangement.

No prob. Melody Nelson was one of those life-changer albums for me. Definitely check out Charlotte's IRM as well, that album is tits, even if it's a bit more based on contemporary pop structures.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Is the album art going to turn out like the Load and ReLoad covers where they look cool, but then you find out it's literally blood, semen, and urine, and you sorta go "oh... uh.... hmm."

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Rehash of In Rainbows tbh

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Rehash of In Rainbows tbh

At least In Rainbows had rainbow colors and stuff, so it was thematically appropriate, and still a cool abstract image. So it kinda fills that "album art" cliche a little. Where Moon shaped pool has much cooler artwork visually, I think, and I guess it kinda hits some of the dreamy gauziness of the music, but it doesn't really help you understand what the album is about, if that makes any sense. Like the best album art doesn't have to be good "art", but it compliments the music and helps push the story more, so the music makes more sense because the art tells some of the story.

Like this is perfect album art imo: http://imgur.com/SYtHxHJ

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm actually still not entirely sure how the In Rainbows art was done. I know it's wax and ink, but there's a step I'm missing somewhere, because it's goddamn gorgeous.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

HD DAD posted:

I'm actually still not entirely sure how the In Rainbows art was done. I know it's wax and ink, but there's a step I'm missing somewhere, because it's goddamn gorgeous.

He filled syringes with paint and squirted them at canvases.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

you are lost

Present Tense? Or shenanigans?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

you are lost

Present Tense? Or shenanigans?

e: Something Awful wants you to see this twice.

stev fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 17, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigFactory posted:

At least In Rainbows had rainbow colors and stuff, so it was thematically appropriate, and still a cool abstract image. So it kinda fills that "album art" cliche a little. Where Moon shaped pool has much cooler artwork visually, I think, and I guess it kinda hits some of the dreamy gauziness of the music, but it doesn't really help you understand what the album is about, if that makes any sense. Like the best album art doesn't have to be good "art", but it compliments the music and helps push the story more, so the music makes more sense because the art tells some of the story.

You're right. I also find that album covers have a mildly synesthetic effect on my perception of an album. For instance, I hear Loveless as being a very pink/red album, whereas MBV, which has basically an identical sound, feels very blue to me (for obvious reasons). OKC and Kid A have always felt white/black/blue, HTTT and IR is rainbow-ish, etc. So a black and white album cover definitely drains some tone out of an album for me. Is that crazy?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I do the same! I can't divorce the sound of songs from the colour of the album art in my head. Amnesiac will always be black and red, and so on.

I once somehow did this in reverse: when Muse first released the song Supermassive Black Hole in 2006, I couldn't help but think of it as black and pink. Then, like a month or two later, they released the single artwork which exclusively used black, white and pink.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm the same. It extends to books for me too.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Pablo Honey doesn't set off my synaesthesia

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

http://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/just-playing-in-a-room-with-friends/

quote:

Colin takes me on a tour, from the music library holding the biggest vinyl collection in the world to a gargantuan grain storehouse now full of dusty film canisters and boxes containing unplayable digital tapes (an early misstep in the march of progress). The studio itself is strange: a sunlit suite of rooms with antique rugs, ornate fireplaces and elegant period furniture, lined with books in wooden cabinets and invaded by recording equipment, as if the teenage scion of a stately home has taken advantage of his parents’ absence. A whiteboard shows only a list of tracks in black marker pen, starting with “Daydreaming” and ending with “Burn the Witch”. The rejected James Bond film tune, “Spectre”, floats in the middle, slightly separate. Colin points to the main console, a vast sweep of knobs, buttons and faders.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here's a fun exercise - go to your digital music organizer and list your ten most played Radiohead songs. It's like ranking your favorites, only not because sometimes you rely on computer-generated mixes that pick popular favorites. This is the case for me, as I use Genius Mixes in iTunes, and, well...

1. Karma Police
2. Bodysnatchers
3. Pyramid Song
4. Creep
5. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
6. Paranoid Android
7. Knives Out
8. (tie) High and Dry/Reckoner
10. (tie) There There (The Boney King of Nowhere)/Myxomatosis (Judge, Jury & Executioner)/House of Cards

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My top 10 on iTunes is just Amnesiac. (Not just Radiohead, in general).

That's definitely not right...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have self-updating "top songs" playlists for all my favourite artists.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Steve2911 posted:

My top 10 on iTunes is just Amnesiac. (Not just Radiohead, in general).

That's definitely not right...

Do you have to manually manage songs when you sync a device? Because that's what lead to my iTunes saying I've listened to Remain in Light a good 23 times in a week's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hedrigall posted:

I have self-updating "top songs" playlists for all my favourite artists.

Pyramid Song being the most perfect song Radiohead has ever recorded, and probably my favourite song of all time.

Edit: oops that was meant to be an edit of my post not quoting it