Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Something I really liked was being genuinely unsure of who would actually make it out and who wouldn't. When someone died, they died almost without warning. There was no shot to make you think, "oh, no, this plan isn't going to work because that establishing shot a few seconds ago told me there was a bad guy waiting for them," because, just like them, you thought it might work. You learned that they failed at the same time they did and, by then, it was too late. I didn't expect anyone to make a miraculous return from the dead and save the day and I could easily imagine the bad guys winning. Great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

XIII posted:

Something I really liked was being genuinely unsure of who would actually make it out and who wouldn't. When someone died, they died almost without warning. There was no shot to make you think, "oh, no, this plan isn't going to work because that establishing shot a few seconds ago told me there was a bad guy waiting for them," because, just like them, you thought it might work. You learned that they failed at the same time they did and, by then, it was too late. I didn't expect anyone to make a miraculous return from the dead and save the day and I could easily imagine the bad guys winning. Great movie.

I think the best death was Daniel. Saulnier sets it up like a real ambush: you never know the bad guy is lurking in the corner aiming at your head until he pulls the trigger.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the best death was Daniel. Saulnier sets it up like a real ambush: you never know the bad guy is lurking in the corner aiming at your head until he pulls the trigger.

Yeah, that was fantastic. I'd say it was the best, "no, gently caress your glimmer of hope," moment since the rewind scene in Funny Games.

XIII fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 18, 2016

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Breaking news: Rex Reed is still the worst
http://observer.com/2016/04/throats-are-slashed-and-heads-blown-off-in-green-room-a-punk-rock-thriller/

Writer-director Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin) calls this blood-soaked opus a “horror thriller,” although I can’t imagine why. Green Room is horrible, all right, though about as thrilling as a fried grasshopper canapé. It played a year ago in the giddy “Midnight Madness” section of the Toronto International Film Festival reserved for freak shows normal audiences cannot sit through, and now it’s finally opening commercially for normal audiences to prove it. Proceed at your own risk.

GREEN ROOM ★
(1/4 stars)

Written and directed by: Jeremy Saulnier
Starring: Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots and Alia Shawkat
Running time: 94 min.

In Green Room members of a screaming punk rock band (I use the word “band” advisedly) called The Ain’t Rights find themselves on the road broke, exhausted, starving and ready to cut one another’s throats after a canceled gig. Never mind, there are plenty of creeps eager to do the job for them, as they are about to find out. After playing one final show in the Oregon backwoods to avoid siphoning gas from somebody else’s SUV for the long drive home to Virginia, they find themselves playing for an audience composed of neo-Nazi skinheads who don’t much care for the band’s repertoire, including a cover of Dead Kennedy’s “Nazi Punks gently caress Off” that invites mayhem.

Throats are slashed and heads blown off as the funky quartet led by ace actor-turned-bass player Anton Yelchin struggles to survive in a standoff with the club’s owner (a drug-dealing self-appointed fuhrer played by Patrick Stewart, of all people) and his brutal gang of evil white supremacists. Joined by a surprise ally (Imogen Poots with a Chelsea haircut), the musicians lock themselves in the backstage green room with a stash of heroin and a dead girl with a knife in her throat. Or is it a screwdriver? Before the carnage ends, the entire cast has been tortured, mutilated and murdered by so many weapons it’s hard to keep them straight. When the shotguns, box cutters and machetes run out, it’s time to cue the flesh-eating attack dogs.

Patrick Stewart’s suave charm and classically trained speaking voice add a special note of gruesome malice to the role of a modern Hitler, but the role isn’t interesting enough to make his change-of-pace turn pay off, leaving Anton Yelchin to steal the show as the sensitive, soft-spoken bassist. Ms. Poots is around for no other reason than décor, but the real star attraction is the funky, menacing roadhouse set by production designer Ryan Warren Smith with its claustrophobic green room and a warren of dark escape hatches that all lead to death. Not much depth, but a lot of style.[/quote]

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 19, 2016

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Does he completely spoil the poo poo out of films he likes as well, or is that just reserved for the 1 star reviews?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh geez, I totally glossed over the spoiler in there. Sorry about that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Imogen Poots is "around for no other reason than decor"? What in the actual gently caress. She's one of the main protagonists of the movie, in fact she might be the main protagonist of the movie.

Also I know nothing about Rex Reed other than his name, so I'm going through his Observer headlines and hoo boy does this guy hate any movie that's not completely milquetoast and maudlin and safe.

e: Actually his "taste" is hard to pin down. He seems to like really stoic and boring dramas and nothing else?

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 19, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wonder what could've lead that guy to decide the character who does pretty much everything while everyone else freaks out is purely decorative

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 19, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

It annoys me more than it should that he said the girl had a knife in her throat. I mean, it's pretty obviously in her head (they make it pretty clear in more than one shot), so this makes me feel like he couldn't have been paying much attention.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rex Reed is a goober.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

trip9 posted:

Sometimes I wish I didn't follow new movies as closely so I can be blindsided by a film like this, coming out of nowhere with no expectations. Seems like it would be a great way to see it.

This was me. I'd never heard of it until the SA thread appeared and I clicked on it in a moment of boredom, although I saw Blue Ruin last year and enjoyed it. I was well rewarded for that bit of procrastinating from work.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He also gets the basic fact that it premiered a year ago at TIFF wrong. It premiered at the last TIFF, in September.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
He gave The Nice Guys a 0/4 and therefore can eat my whole rear end

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I guess I didn't need another reason to go see The Nice Guys, but here we are.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So, to my surprise my theatre decided to start showing it last Friday. I went and saw it, loved it. Some spoilered observations, because I'm sure there's a few folks living it Bumblefuck who haven't seen it yet

-I liked that the guy who saw himself as the tough guy in the band was all sound and fury signifying nothing.
-I also enjoyed them not being too cartoonish with the portrayal of the Nazis. Not that I feel there's a lot of nuance in the white power movement, but I'm quite sure they see
themselves as the good guys.
-I was glad that the trailer didn't give too much away in terms of the surprises, like the betrayals, the fact that Imogen isn't one of the band (I thought she was until I saw the movie)
-I think the clumsiness of the bands' rhetoric, particularly Pats, was absolutely intentional.
-The only thing I was a bit confused by was why Gabe suddenly seemed to have a change of heart about the whole thing, was it just the whole situation being too much for him, or what?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So, to my surprise my theatre decided to start showing it last Friday. I went and saw it, loved it. Some spoilered observations, because I'm sure there's a few folks living it Bumblefuck who haven't seen it yet

-The only thing I was a bit confused by was why Gabe suddenly seemed to have a change of heart about the whole thing, was it just the whole situation being too much for him, or what?

Definitely. The escalation of the situation (as well as his role in it) was getting too big for him to handle, and I guess he was never a "true believe" more of an out of place loner. I think getting his laces was almost the final straw, considering what they were asking him to help them do to earn them.

When the two guys go in with the dog to do the final cleanup in the club, they don't show Gabe as being with them. When the mic feedback thing happens again, at first I thought Gabe had rigged it as a "I don't want anyone else to die" kind of sabotage against the group, before they show the remaining band members had done it.

His betrayal was definitely foreshadowed by his reluctance, and Macon Blair just sold the poo poo out of it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rex Reed is a goober.

What I love about that review is that he just takes it on complete faith that his murky plot and casting synopsis will convey that the movie is without artistic merit. I'm used to reviews being really slim on content, but this is a bold step forward in that regard

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Totally, that review reads like a college kid trying to sound snobby intentionally so people will think he knows his poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

he's also caught defenseless by the now very armed protagonists, shortly after his boss intimated to him that he'd poisoned the guy they were supposedly killing all these people over to shut him up. His alternatives are, what, charge with vaccuum cleaner in hand and get cut down or do nothing, let Darcy clean house without word getting out, and be the next to go as the weakest link in the chain?

the red laces are fanatics but for the other nazis it's just the community they live in, not something they wanna die for. even the dog guy isn't willing to just do anything for Darcy

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 19, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rex Reed is the shittiest of all the Fantastic 4.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
My local movie theater did the same thing and sneaked this in last Friday too. I went to see it today and I really liked it. You've guys answered a lot of questions so could someone tell me what Amber said when they asked her why she became a nazi? I know it's not important but it's been bugging me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

What I love about that review is that he just takes it on complete faith that his murky plot and casting synopsis will convey that the movie is without artistic merit. I'm used to reviews being really slim on content, but this is a bold step forward in that regard

Rex has been a pioneer in the field for at least two decades. You wanna talk chatbots, I have no idea how he manages to stay employed writing like he imagines movies based on their TV Guide synopsis.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

In the last few shots of the movie, what was the significance of showing that mean tattooed guy back in the apartment of the mohawk guy?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Gaunab posted:

My local movie theater did the same thing and sneaked this in last Friday too. I went to see it today and I really liked it. You've guys answered a lot of questions so could someone tell me what Amber said when they asked her why she became a nazi? I know it's not important but it's been bugging me.

Paraphrasing: "The people who hurt me weren't white."

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the gist with Amber's reasoning seemed to be that she suffered some unspecified crime or trauma at the hands of a person of color, which left her bitter and vulnerable to white supremacist recruiting. It seems like, in the meantime, she's moved on from that active kind of racism to a more generalized misanthropy

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Thanks. I thought it was something like that but I wasn't sure.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

When was that? I don't remember any back story for her.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Slandible posted:

When was that? I don't remember any back story for her.

At one point, they mention not wanting to trust a Nazi when discussing their next move, which she sharply rebukes by saying she's not a Nazi, and they ask her why she falls for this poo poo, and she alludes to having been attacked and mentions the attackers weren't white.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

caiman posted:

In the last few shots of the movie, what was the significance of showing that mean tattooed guy back in the apartment of the mohawk guy?

Earlier on Darcy gave Werm (the tattooed murderer guy) and his bandmate some poisoned heroin. Werm's bandmate was laying there dead with a needle in his arm, Werm was presumably unfazed either because he was just that hard to kill or he hadn't shot up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know what I thought was kind of cool?

Pat and Amber end the movie still on pretty bad terms. They don't grow close through the ordeal or anything, they're just two strangers who experienced the same horrible thing for a few hours, and they end the movie giving precisely as much of a gently caress about each other as they started, pretty much.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

Earlier on Darcy gave Werm (the tattooed murderer guy) and his bandmate some poisoned heroin. Werm's bandmate was laying there dead with a needle in his arm, Werm was presumably unfazed either because he was just that hard to kill or he hadn't shot up.

I'm guessing Werm still dies, he's just still at the beginning of his high (which is why he's frozen staring at the TV screen) and the poison hasn't killed him yet.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Blue Ruin, Green Room, what's next this guy is gonna do a remake of Red October? :v:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm guessing Werm still dies, he's just still at the beginning of his high (which is why he's frozen staring at the TV screen) and the poison hasn't killed him yet.

there's nothing to suggest that though, all you see is that he's about as fine as he ever was and everyone else is dead in a scene that isn't really served by any ambiguity. dude seems like exactly the kinda guy who'd make himself a bowl of cereal and put on his favorite show in a room full of dead bodies high or not

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

there's nothing to suggest that though, all you see is that he's about as fine as he ever was and everyone else is dead in a scene that isn't really served by any ambiguity. dude seems like exactly the kinda guy who'd make himself a bowl of cereal and put on his favorite show in a room full of dead bodies high or not

What made me think that is he's just frozen with his spoon in the air blinking at the TV, which is pretty expected of a guy who just shot up heroin. The movie already established that he was given a dose of poison heroin by Darcy, so I can't see it being ambiguous.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, Saulnier did his research: there actually is heroin going around nowadays that just kills you stone the gently caress dead. Because it's not actually heroin, but acetylfentanyl, a research chemical that's about 5x as strong. It's been killing junkies left and right on the east coast, and it's starting to spread to the rest of the country too.

A minor point, but something that did make me raise a "holy poo poo" eyebrow at Patrick Stewart's line on the subject.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

What made me think that is he's just frozen with his spoon in the air blinking at the TV, which is pretty expected of a guy who just shot up heroin. The movie already established that he was given a dose of poison heroin by Darcy, so I can't see it being ambiguous.

the creepy staring guy creepily staring at things would be a pretty subtle Da Vinci Code assed clue that he's shot up poison for a movie that leaves very little ambiguity when someone's dead, including the other bandmates. if the intent was to indicate that he's dead too instead of that Darcy's plan to kill him failed (like all his plans) it'd be pretty easy to, y'know, show him keeled over with a needle sticking out his arm like the rest

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 20, 2016

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Aw man this was fun. That opening shot was of Pat's left arm, wrist-up, right? I knew that poor thing was not long for the world. Saulnier is a genius in how he can eschew theatricality/stylized violence but the product ends up all the more exciting for it. I hope this man makes a movie for every color on the god drat rainbow.

There was a bunch of attention paid to someone picking up the set list, I think? Can someone explain that?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Aw man this was fun. That opening shot was of Pat's left arm, wrist-up, right? I knew that poor thing was not long for the world.

Hahaha holy gently caress :stare: I didn't even catch that but it owns.

quote:

There was a bunch of attention paid to someone picking up the set list, I think? Can someone explain that?

I'm going off memory here and it's been a week or so, but it had something to do with the song Werm killed the girl to being named Flesichwolf, or "meat grinder" as Amber translates it. I'm not really sure what the greater significance is, but that might fill in another piece of the puzzle.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm going off memory here and it's been a week or so, but it had something to do with the song Werm killed the girl to being named Flesichwolf, or "meat grinder" as Amber translates it. I'm not really sure what the greater significance is, but that might fill in another piece of the puzzle.

I think it was her cue to sneak off with Daniel. that bit was a little garbled, but Werm says he killed her to the Ain't Rights' song earlier, and the Nazi band hadn't done their set yet. also the details of his murder itinerary don't really matter at that point, both sides are piecing together why the hell their night's suddenly full of dead people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Edit: gently caress, beaten

Beyond sane knolls posted:

the dead girl and Daniel were supposed to make their big escape when Cow CrusherCatcher played (whatever is German for) Meat Grinder . That's why the dead girl had a note in her pocket with (whatever is German for) Meat Grinder

XIII fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 20, 2016

• Locked thread