Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well, one of the first things Finch says to Reese is that they'll probably both end up dead. I feel like it going either way would be pretty satisfying. It being a squad wipe would feel pretty lovely, though, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Echophonic posted:

Well, one of the first things Finch says to Reese is that they'll probably both end up dead. I feel like it going either way would be pretty satisfying. It being a squad wipe would feel pretty lovely, though, I think.

It won't be a complete wipe.

Bear and Fusco won't die.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I kind of feel like Root makes it out, too. She's not nearly as self-destructive as the others.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Echophonic posted:

I kind of feel like Root makes it out, too. She's not nearly as self-destructive as the others.

My personal gut feeling is they're setting up Reese's death in earnest now (especially with 5x03), and are also telegraphing Finch loving off to Italy and finding Grace, with or without the rest of the surviving team's knowledge.

Root's almost guaranteed to live in my head, because her atonement/redemption arc has to at this point end with her regaining faith in humanity and living on with that faith. And Shaw's already had an actual death fake-out last season, so she'll probably make it through this one too.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Yeah, I feel like they're setting up Reese for a death arc the way this season has been dredging up his old demons. However, I now find I don't want him to die because he's grown on me so dang much.

I could almost see them subverting that redemption-into-death-arc style plot though because Reese's thing for most of the show has always been that he was willing to die for the cause. Maybe the end of his arc culminates in him discovering he doesn't have to. I could go either way on that.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Do you think there's a enough time for Finch to get back with Grace?

I think Finch will still keep tabs and he'll get to see her one woman show in Italy and he'll be happy with that.

Reese shouldn't die, but maybe live on with Fusco as partners.

I feel Root and Shaw should pick up the mantle and keep doing the numbers.

If anyone dies, it will be Elias

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A reminder of my stance on this:

I, in the last thread, posted:

My call: Reese and Finch sacrifice themselves. Root and Shaw take their places. The last scene of the series plays out while Root VOs a version of Finch's monologue from the beginning of every episode.

Add in a one-liner from Fusco and I think you've got the perfect ending. It's worth pointing out, however (this is speculation based on something vague but definitive Jonah and Greg said in an interview, you may not want to mouse over), that when they were writing this season, Jonah and Greg were pretty sure it was over, but CBS wouldn't give them a straight answer. So they had to drop the mic in a way that it could be picked back up again if CBS miraculously decided "Actually, we do want this show on the schedule next year, thanks." In their words, they were writing to an ending, but not "a cataclysm" -- which could very well indicate a reset button. I'm optimistic, though; these guys have been judicious before, and I don't think I've seen a show spit this much fire -- seriously, three of the last five episodes are top ten material; "6,741" is a contender for top three -- in a run-up to a lousy wet fart of an ending. (Having said that, I personally don't mind "reset buttons," and I also loved the ending of BSG, so YMMV.)

BTW, if you guys like long, rambling essays, I submitted a long read about the show that you can start reading here, and continue with here.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just hope Bruce's inevitable blaze of glory is half as badass as Anthony's was.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stoops posted:

I think Finch will still keep tabs and he'll get to see her one woman show in Italy and he'll be happy with that.

Finch pulls a Batman ending. Sends Fusco on an Italian holiday and he sees Finch with Grace at a Cafe. Maximum :nolan:

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Zaggitz posted:

Pretty much this.

By the way, schedule for next week:

Monday, May 23, 10 PM EST: 5.06 A More Perfect Union

Tuesday, May 24, 9 PM EST: 5.07 QSO

Tuesday, May 24, 10 PM EST: 5.08 Reassortment

One of my Canadian brothers can go ahead and confirm that it's the same thing on CTV.

QSO ought to be interesting based on that title. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_(amateur_radio)
God it'd be sweet if there was a hidden SSTV signal in that episode or something.

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 19, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nullsmack posted:

QSO ought to be interesting based on that title. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_(amateur_radio)
God it'd be sweet if there was a hidden SSTV signal in that episode or something.

no spoilers but i'll leave it linked just in case people REALLY don't wanna see anything, here's what root will be wearing for that episode: http://i.imgur.com/al0r15j.jpg

its the most :allears: thing ever.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

no spoilers but i'll leave it linked just in case people REALLY don't wanna see anything, here's what root will be wearing for that episode: http://i.imgur.com/al0r15j.jpg

its the most :allears: thing ever.
That could conceivably be a spoiler if they go full-on Neuromancer/Wintermute.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Was anyone else reminded of Core War during the AI simulated battle scene?

override367
Apr 29, 2013

raditts posted:

What is it with goons and their lust for movies / TV shows ending with everyone dying for no good reason?

You misunderstand me, I want a happy ending and I think they deserve one, I just don't want it to end on the status quo, I would rather a grimdark ending than a status quo ending, but even better would be a non status quo ending that was positive

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

override367 posted:

You misunderstand me, I want a happy ending and I think they deserve one, I just don't want it to end on the status quo, I would rather a grimdark ending than a status quo ending, but even better would be a non status quo ending that was positive

Oh, okay. In that case I agree with you, it'd be dumb if they just defeated Samaritan and then were like "THE NUMBERS WILL ALWAYS BE COMING *phone rings, team runs toward camera, freeze frame*"

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

raditts posted:

Oh, okay. In that case I agree with you, it'd be dumb if they just defeated Samaritan and then were like "THE NUMBERS WILL ALWAYS BE COMING *phone rings, team runs toward camera, freeze frame*"

I think Reese will die, but will do so by merging with Helios... I mean the machine.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
I wouldn't mind a bleak series end, like Alphas or that one-off Dollhouse episode where the future was an unrecognizable post-apocalyptic nightmare.
It's the ending we need and deserve.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

SirMonkeyButt posted:

I wouldn't mind a bleak series end, like Alphas or that one-off Dollhouse episode where the future was an unrecognizable post-apocalyptic nightmare.
It's the ending we need and deserve.

I wouldn't mind that kind of ending if the heroes had won like, a single battle against Samaritan at all. Pretty much ever since Greer showed up (and for narrative purposes I equate him to Samaritan) he's been styling on Team Machine and taking no hits, and I'm going to be very disappointed if he has any measure of a happy ending.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Honestly, that's the big thing that bugs me about Decima/Samaritan/The Whole AI War Plotline in general. The only real setback they have had is Shaw's continued resistance to torture, and even Greer has stated that it's a minor setback at best. There's only so much "this is going exactly as I planned, and I will be letting them win this small battle because I am still winning the war" that I can take before I lose interest in that villain's plots, because I know they're either A) going to happen or B) going to fail, but it turns out that it was a side-plan at most.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
It's almost as if the war was lost about 0.34 seconds after Samaritan came online, and everything since has just been a display of futile resistance.

In fact, maybe POI is actually the story of the birth and ascension of the new world overlord, humanity's friend, the good and beneficent Samaritan. We could have even solved crime, world hunger, poverty, under-education and overpopulation a few years sooner without the interference of those pesky meddlers, team "Machine", and their misguided attempts to save single, irrelevant individuals at the expense of the world's collective improvement.

Greer did nothing wrong.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
This is just depressing:

Variety.com posted:

Tribune’s fourth-quarter and full-year earnings released Monday earnings showed the company recorded a net loss of $320 million for the year. The $385 million write-down includes $74 million related to losses from the underperformance of syndicated acquisitions “Person of Interest” and “Elementary” for WGN America.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not surprising considering how much they dicked with poi. Elementary was doomed due to Sherlock existence as the far superior show actually worth waiting for and watching. Didn't watch much of elementary as I didn't want yet another police procedural.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

oohhboy posted:

Not surprising considering how much they dicked with poi. Elementary was doomed due to Sherlock existence as the far superior show actually worth waiting for and watching. Didn't watch much of elementary as I didn't want yet another police procedural.

Other way around.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

oohhboy posted:

Sherlock is written for 14 year old girls. :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Also Elementary has the superior Irene and also the superior Moriarty.

Also the superior Watson and Sherlock, but :can:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Sherlock's written like aspirational television for people who want to feel special. It's weird and off-putting and I can't watch it anymore.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Sherlock was a show I enjoyed at the beginning. However it's gotten progressively worse and self absorbed with each season.

Elementary is a way better show

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 20, 2016

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Regy Rusty posted:

Sherlock was a show I enjoyed at the beginning. However it's gotten progressively worse and self absorbed with each season.

Elementary is a way better show

What (s)he said. I was blown away by the BBC One at first, but prefer Elementary's interpretation of the character now.

Not sure which Moriarty I like best though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The BBC one (was) is a good Sherlock show, the CBS one is a decent procedural that doesn't have much to do with being a Sherlock Holmes character.

edit: but holy hell was the whole Kitty plotline on Elementary AWFUL.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Natalie Dormer is a better actor than Andrew Scott, in my opinion.

Also Natalie Dormer is a better actress than Lara Pulver, also in my opinion.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Sherlock is all style, and as it carries on, feels like less substance.

Elementary, yes it's a pretty by the book police procedural, but it does character work fantastically well. Arguably better than most other shows would dare to do sometimes. Especially compared to many other procedurals. Oh, guess what Sherlock Holmes did, a lot of procedural police work.

I think someone made the argument that Elementary being a police procedural that's relatively sedate with the actual crimes fits rather well into Sherlock's theme of recovery from addiction, it is just plain old fashioned taking it day by day. There is no grandiose moment where all of a sudden everything is fixed, you just have to grind it out and muster all the energy you have to not fall off the horse again. It's why I appreciated the finale from the previous season in the show in particular.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Echophonic posted:

This came up a while back in the thread, and someone had the idea that Finch and Reese will die in the finale (fulfilling the arc started in that early episode when they talk about neither surviving all this alive) and the show will end with Root doing a version of Finch's monologue as she and Shaw continue to do the work of Team Irrelevant (for Root, finally completing her journey from villain to hero; and for Shaw mirroring Reese's arc of finding a purpose in life by saving numbers).

Personally I really like that idea.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

WarLocke posted:

This came up a while back in the thread, and someone had the idea that Finch and Reese will die in the finale (fulfilling the arc started in that early episode when they talk about neither surviving all this alive) and the show will end with Root doing a version of Finch's monologue as she and Shaw continue to do the work of Team Irrelevant (for Root, finally completing her journey from villain to hero; and for Shaw mirroring Reese's arc of finding a purpose in life by saving numbers).

Personally I really like that idea.

I could very easily see that working quite well. The changes in the intro and monologue have been used to show changes in the status quo fairly frequently, so I could see capping it with a final one.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Echophonic posted:

I could very easily see that working quite well. The changes in the intro and monologue have been used to show changes in the status quo fairly frequently, so I could see capping it with a final one.

Just as long as Fusco is still there being all loud and bellicose about nobody ever telling him anything and he doesn't even want to know!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

WarLocke posted:

Just as long as Fusco is still there being all loud and bellicose about nobody ever telling him anything and he doesn't even want to know!

He's like fungus, can't get rid of him.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

WarLocke posted:

Well, yeah, Fusco and Bear are implied, being the best characters.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Who did Elias say was part of the old world?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Scarface was part of the old world and I'm pretty sure he's dead.

Also, seconding Bruce's jihad being as bright as a thousand suns. The show could do with some ammoral hate thrown in Decima's direction.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sober posted:

Sherlock is all style, and as it carries on, feels like less substance.

Elementary, yes it's a pretty by the book police procedural, but it does character work fantastically well. Arguably better than most other shows would dare to do sometimes. Especially compared to many other procedurals. Oh, guess what Sherlock Holmes did, a lot of procedural police work.

I think someone made the argument that Elementary being a police procedural that's relatively sedate with the actual crimes fits rather well into Sherlock's theme of recovery from addiction, it is just plain old fashioned taking it day by day. There is no grandiose moment where all of a sudden everything is fixed, you just have to grind it out and muster all the energy you have to not fall off the horse again. It's why I appreciated the finale from the previous season in the show in particular.

Sherlock has to do things in a really short time frame, so of course it feels like it's going for style points since it is smashing multi episode arcs of cool events into a quasi movies. No time to "grind" for the sake of it.

Regy Rusty posted:

However it's gotten self absorbed with each season.

You say this like it is a bad thing. This Sherlock is not a guy who is recovering and the episodes mirror his state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Have this argument in another thread please.

• Locked thread