Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Cool, that kind of explains things.

Also, after watching the charming mess that was Murder Party, I was so happy to see Saulnier make actual use of a fire extinguisher.

drat I wanna beat up a nazi right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I think it was her cue to sneak off with Daniel. that bit was a little garbled, but Werm says he killed her to the Ain't Rights' song earlier, and the Nazi band hadn't done their set yet. also the details of his murder itinerary don't really matter at that point, both sides are piecing together why the hell their night's suddenly full of dead people

Werm says he killed her to the Ain't Rights' song, but I remember Amber saying "that was his cue to do it," and the context didn't seem to be about them escaping. I should probably admit that I saw this stoned off my balls (and a little drunk thanks to Drafthouse) and really need to rewatch it sober.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Blue Ruin, Green Room, what's next this guy is gonna do a remake of Red October? :v:

Pattern recognition logic tells me his next should be called Red Rule.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I hope he makes a sword-and-sandal flick called Orange Julius.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Werm says he killed her to the Ain't Rights' song, but I remember Amber saying "that was his cue to do it," and the context didn't seem to be about them escaping. I should probably admit that I saw this stoned off my balls (and a little drunk thanks to Drafthouse) and really need to rewatch it sober.

That's what I thought I heard too but it doesn't make sense. he's gonna stab her while he's up on stage playing his song? and why would that be an important reveal, who gives a poo poo? and why would she be carrying a napkin with the name of the song she's supposed to get killed to?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 20, 2016

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

sticklefifer posted:

Pattern recognition logic tells me his next should be called Red Rule.

Red Rum, surely.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Saulnier said in his reddit AMA he's gonna try to avoid his next work being color coded for a while.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
The song cue's were two different songs. The one Werm "did her" to was an Ain't Rights song called "Toxic...Something", which makes sense because she was killed before Cow Crusher could play the actual cue for the couple to leave. Not sure if Werm knew about the song, but I think he was just backhand complimenting the band and showing how tough he is by admitting to them what he did.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the creepy staring guy creepily staring at things would be a pretty subtle Da Vinci Code assed clue that he's shot up poison for a movie that leaves very little ambiguity when someone's dead, including the other bandmates. if the intent was to indicate that he's dead too instead of that Darcy's plan to kill him failed (like all his plans) it'd be pretty easy to, y'know, show him keeled over with a needle sticking out his arm like the rest

His spoon was hovering and trembling for an extremely long time (in film time). It's not DaVinci Code poo poo, it's a pretty deliberate shot and he's obviously not eating cereal in a normal way. He looks completely frozen stiff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I saw the movie again last night and specifically paid attention to lines like that to better understand what was going on.

Daniel and Emily were both planning on quitting the Neo-Nazi group with evidence in his trunk linking Darcy and his men to murders committed the past Easter. "Fleischwolf" was the Cowcatcher song that was supposed to be her cue to bail, but she made the mistake of blabbing to someone about her plan to leave and Werm stabbed her in the head while the Ain't Rights were still playing "Toxic Evolution". Amber tells Daniel that Emily "didn't say it was with you", meaning she didn't tell the rest of the group that Daniel was also leaving with her. This kept Darcy and Gabe from cluing in that Daniel was a traitor until the young skinhead (I think his name was Joshua) came back and told them that Daniel just started talking to their targets instead of killing them.

At the beginning of the chaos, Darcy and Gabe find Daniel sitting in his car with the engine running as Cowcatcher plays. He was waiting for Emily to run out and jump in the car, not knowing she had been dead for a while, and tries to cover it when Darcy appears by explaining that he was checking the engine knocking. When he gets sent to gather the Red Laces he tries calling her phone, which has already been taken with the rest of her personal effects and put in a bag in the management trailer. This is the bag that Darcy puts in a safe or cabinet when giving Gabe his red laces.

The reason Gabe got his red laces for everything was because Darcy realized that he (accidentally) made the right decision for the group. Initially he was incredibly pissed that Gabe tried to hold the band at gunpoint and lock them in the room with the body instead of just letting Werm take the fall and go to prison; if he had let the band go and given up Werm to the cops to make it all look legit, the band would have been on their merry way back to Arlington and the heroin operation under the floor would be safe. Instead, he held the band hostage and gave them motivation to go to the cops and bring down the hammer on the club, so they had no choice but to kill all the witnesses and cover it up as trespassers being killed by dogs.

However, Gabe inadvertently saved them (at least for a little while before they all get shot). Had they made what looked like the right decision and given Werm up, Daniel would have been motivated to go to the police with the baseball bat in his trunk in revenge for Emily's murder. Gabe accidentally set in motion the events that led to Daniel's treason being discovered and killing him before he could betray them, and so Gabe earns his red laces.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, like chitoryu12 said, it's Cow CATCHER, not Cow Crusher.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Also, like chitoryu12 said, it's Cow CATCHER, not Cow Crusher.

Ah, that's right! I knew something didn't feel right when I said Cow Crusher last night. Thanks.

Think I might catch this again over the weekend.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Much like Fury Road, I'd suggest seeing this at least twice. One downside of the very natural dialogue is that everyone speaks quietly at times or talks over one another, or switches gears mid-sentence. It's best to watch it once for the awesome shock of it, then watch it a second time knowing the plot and pay careful attention to the dialogue to get all the details.

Funny enough, Fury Road was the last movie I did multiple viewings for. I saw it for the first time almost exactly a year before the first time I saw Green Room and made a repeat viewing at the exact same theater.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
Just caught this last night in a small, packed theater. Crowd reactions really added to the flick, which was fantastic. I was surprised to see Alia Shawkat bite it. She seemed to be the most pragmatic out of all the band members. Totally thought that she would make it, but that was one of the things that made this so enjoyable. The deaths were so sudden you really couldn't see them coming.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

King Vidiot posted:

Earlier on Darcy gave Werm (the tattooed murderer guy) and his bandmate some poisoned heroin. Werm's bandmate was laying there dead with a needle in his arm, Werm was presumably unfazed either because he was just that hard to kill or he hadn't shot up.

How in the holy gently caress did I totally miss this? I was paying attention too.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!

caiman posted:

How in the holy gently caress did I totally miss this? I was paying attention too.

Werm looks messed up though. He doesn't strike me as the type to quietly contemplate his tv over a bowl of cereal. I think he's basically stoned to the point of being in shock.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Thermite posted:

Just caught this last night in a small, packed theater. Crowd reactions really added to the flick, which was fantastic. I was surprised to see Alia Shawkat bite it. She seemed to be the most pragmatic out of all the band members. Totally thought that she would make it, but that was one of the things that made this so enjoyable. The deaths were so sudden you really couldn't see them coming.

My early-on bets for who would live or die were pretty spot-on, I figured Pat and Amber would live since Pat was kind of the main character and Amber was the outsider ally who started getting a bigger role as the movie went on. They sort of faked me out with Pat getting the gently caress cut out of his arm because I thought there was no way he'd bounce back from that, but in the end I was right.

I did kind of think that at least one other person would live though, and yeah like you I figured it'd be Alia Shawkat.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, that actually jives with what I said in the spoiler above: if it was acetylfentanyl, it would have basically insta-OD'd his bandmates, but Werm is the largest person in the movie by a pretty good margin. It seems possible, even likely, that they died and he just got stoned off his loving rear end.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
He's loving dead already, or on the last train out of town when we see him at the end. It's just a really cool visual, and somewhat somber way to kill off the reason all of this happened in the first place, especially after the previous 90 minutes had been so violent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Parachute posted:

He's loving dead already, or on the last train out of town when we see him at the end. It's just a really cool visual, and somewhat somber way to kill off the reason all of this happened in the first place, especially after the previous 90 minutes had been so violent.

He's definitely not dead yet, as on a rewatch I looked and saw that he was blinking. But he's clearly stoned to the point of being basically non-functional and we know that he was given the bad batch of dope by Darcy, so he's probably not long for this world.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Must suck to be in a room literally full of opiates with your arm nearly hacked off in five places. Poor Anton.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

He's definitely not dead yet, as on a rewatch I looked and saw that he was blinking. But he's clearly stoned to the point of being basically non-functional and we know that he was given the bad batch of dope by Darcy, so he's probably not long for this world.

I dunno, I'm with the poster who asked earlier what the point of making it ambiguous would be. If he's dead, why not just show him clearly dead? It's far creepier to think the man responsible for everything got away and is just eating cereal in front of the telly with his friend dead next to him, needle still in his arm

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

I dunno, I'm with the poster who asked earlier what the point of making it ambiguous would be. If he's dead, why not just show him clearly dead? It's far creepier to think the man responsible for everything got away and is just eating cereal in front of the telly with his friend dead next to him, needle still in his arm

Yeah I think this ending is really the most fitting, the guy who kicked off the whole thing and was the catalyst for the whole poo poo storm just gets away with it after everyone around him dies.

e: Or he fails to cover-up the death of his friends and gets caught by the police and sent to prison anyways.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
The way y'all talk about it you'd think he was just wolfing down a bowl of cereal and not holding it up to his face like some kind of already-dead-strung-out-trope. I think it makes the most sense that nobody got out unscathed, including Werm. He was just given a quiet death that was almost an afterthought. That's not suggesting it was lazy, in fact I think it was such a great contrast to all of the violent deaths we had just witnessed.

If this question hasn't come up in an interview yet, it really should. I would love to hear Jeremy Saulnier's thoughts on it.

Edit: Ok, not dead, more like one foot in the grave

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Parachute posted:

The way y'all talk about it you'd think he was just wolfing down a bowl of cereal and not holding it up to his face like some kind of already-dead-strung-out-trope. I think it makes the most sense that nobody got out unscathed, including Werm. He was just given a quiet death that was almost an afterthought. That's not suggesting it was lazy, in fact I think it was such a great contrast to all of the violent deaths we had just witnessed.

If this question hasn't come up in an interview yet, it really should. I would love to hear Jeremy Saulnier's thoughts on it.

Edit: Ok, not dead, more like one foot in the grave

Yeah, if he was dead, he probably wouldn't be holding the bowl of cereal. Maybe a tactical realist could make an argument otherwise, but that's not how the image immediately reads. Honestly, I kind of like the idea of him being the only one to really get out unscathed; everyone except the guy who really started everything gets hosed over to some degree, but he just gets the best dope high he's had in a decade.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This discussion is just like the one for 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Gaunab posted:

This discussion is just like the one for 10 Cloverfield Lane.

That's exactly what I was thinking haha.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Aw, man, I just realized no theaters in my area (Denver) are still showing this. gently caress. Glad I caught it once.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

XIII posted:

Aw, man, I just realized no theaters in my area (Denver) are still showing this. gently caress. Glad I caught it once.

My brother in Biloxi says that all showings appear to have ended in his area. The closest available viewing this week is in Mobile, an hour away.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

My brother in Biloxi says that all showings appear to have ended in his area. The closest available viewing this week is in Mobile, an hour away.

Yeah, it looks like the closest theater still playing it is in Ft. Collins, which is about 60mi away. It's a real testament to the film that I'm considering the drive...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thankfully, the Orlando area is still showing it. But every theater only has one or two viewings until Monday when they suddenly go back to normal with 4 or 5 showings per theater.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

XIII posted:

Yeah, it looks like the closest theater still playing it is in Ft. Collins, which is about 60mi away. It's a real testament to the film that I'm considering the drive...

Ft Collins is dope. You can get smashed at New Belgium and then see Green Room.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Am I dense for just realizing Green Room's poster is a tribute to London Calling?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Am I dense for just realizing Green Room's poster is a tribute to London Calling?

Not trying to be rude, but yes.

Also I can't stop talking about this movie to friends / family members / baristas.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

WatermelonGun posted:

Not trying to be rude, but yes.

Also I can't stop talking about this movie to friends / family members / baristas.

Same, I feel like I'm gonna show it to a or of people when it hits Blu Ray

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
The best crowd reaction I had just then was a woman at the back really loudly say 'That is unnecessary!' during the belly slit scene.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Don't feel too stupid, I didn't realize it was a Clash thing until you just pointed it out just now.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

the_homemaster posted:

The best crowd reaction I had just then was a woman at the back really loudly say 'That is unnecessary!' during the belly slit scene.

I want to see every movie with this woman.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Just saw it. Very understated. Definitely wanted to see more of patrick Stewart since they were definitely going for the whole banality of evil thing. I know not giving him big hitler speeches was the whole point but man he didn't get nearly enough screen time. Imogen poots was great too since she kinda comes out of nowhere and you're never quite sure who's side she's on or what her stake is in it (besides wanting to survive too) but when she does gently caress poo poo up its not really sudden badass action chick. You really get a sense she does the things she does because she's probably already a broken person

Speaking of poster. The scene alluded to by the OP poster. What the hell was he thinking? They could have just blasted him in the back. Was the whole point to reference something in the punk scene? I haven't gone through the whole thread and I wouldn't know fugazi from the ramones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alan Smithee posted:

Speaking of poster. The scene alluded to by the OP poster. What the hell was he thinking? They could have just blasted him in the back. Was the whole point to reference something in the punk scene? I haven't gone through the whole thread and I wouldn't know fugazi from the ramones

That's why he shaved his head, sharpied on his face and he was wearing Amber's bomber jacket--to confuse the nazis into thinking he was one of them.

• Locked thread