Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I did the thing and unlocked research and holy gently caress how do I unlock ANY of this

Assuming I need to excavate a lot? How much can I unlock this R? When do I reincarnate? HELP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You can unlock everything up to the 135 researches but it takes a few days. Use the wiki page on research if you just want to be able to actually see all the requirements and figure out for yourself what order to do them in.

If you want a step by step guide use this: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/8945-realm-grinder/topics/562011 and scroll way down to Appendix 2.

Later Rs will be much much simpler because past 135 most of the requirements are just "unlock these two previous researches" and you only get a few more every R anyway.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 20, 2016

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I honestly found the step by step guide to be really confusing and counterintuitive. Buy research points as you can and reference the list of unlocks as they pop up. Make sensible decisions for what you work toward and tend toward unlocking easy ones and powerful ones first. You can def finish through 135 in 16 with some perseverance and by the end of 17 it'll be intuitive how it works.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

How do i unlock dwarves?

I had a run with faries, i had 8000 buildings and 900 inns which should be more than needed.

I also have the 100,000 clicks across all games trophy

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Meskhenet posted:

How do i unlock dwarves?

I had a run with faries, i had 8000 buildings and 900 inns which should be more than needed.

I also have the 100,000 clicks across all games trophy

Did you do all the excavations you need to find their artifacts?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I think it's about time that Trimps got a sequel.

Trumps. Make Idling Great Again.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

keldon posted:

I like it when games have a well-defined end point.

Aurora posted:

I don't!

:psyduck:

I guess the only solution to this problem is to accept alienating large chunks of audience either way!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Klungar posted:

Did you do all the excavations you need to find their artifacts?

nope i had to do another 99 :/ on my first dwarves now with fairies.

Whats the best way to get 10k spells though? im at like 3000

nerox
May 20, 2001

Meskhenet posted:

nope i had to do another 99 :/ on my first dwarves now with fairies.

Whats the best way to get 10k spells though? im at like 3000

angels and tax collection spam

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Okay cool let's take a look at how to unlock these early researches *sees 'cast fairy chanting 750 times in one game'* :suicide:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For researches like that, be sure to turn off any challenges, and avoid buying any researches or upgrades, that extend spell duration.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Beasteh posted:

Okay cool let's take a look at how to unlock these early researches *sees 'cast fairy chanting 750 times in one game'* :suicide:

That's only two hours of casting it consistently. If that seems bad it's gonna get a lot worse.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I'm in R2 now and close to heading into R3, but I just noticed the Challenges. Are these things I should focus on now before I move on, or are they ok to put off until a later reincarnation?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Klungar posted:

I'm in R2 now and close to heading into R3, but I just noticed the Challenges. Are these things I should focus on now before I move on, or are they ok to put off until a later reincarnation?

It's not urgent but there's no reason not to do them now. Especially the Good-aligned factions' challenges, which are quick and easy at the end of a reincarnation but impossible at the start. The Evil-aligned challenges can all be done at the start of a reincarnation, but require you to idle for longer.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Most important thing for a new player: Look up what trophies can be reasonably acquired and go on a spree, having trophies boosts your production by a fuckton

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I just check secret trophies and challenges before abdicating, that way I can get any challenges that require lotsa gems. or setup the next reincarnation. I wasn't able to do some of the earlier challenges when they first unlocked, but I R12'd today and I'm fully caught up.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's not urgent but there's no reason not to do them now. Especially the Good-aligned factions' challenges, which are quick and easy at the end of a reincarnation but impossible at the start. The Evil-aligned challenges can all be done at the start of a reincarnation, but require you to idle for longer.

Thanks, I got all the Tier 1 Good challenges taken care of easily enough, but yeah, I'll have to set up the Evil ones before I go to sleep or something.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Klungar posted:

Thanks, I got all the Tier 1 Good challenges taken care of easily enough, but yeah, I'll have to set up the Evil ones before I go to sleep or something.

Goblin's not too bad, it has a 1/6 chance of being completed every ten minutes, so on average it takes an hour. Undead and Demon are overnighters.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Very good op.

Also, there's a new game in beta suckers! made by the Reactor Idle guy called Factory Idle.
It's pretty fun!

Shark game really is the best though.
It's no longer in beta!
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Baldurans/factory-idle
Very fun if you like Factorio, though much heavier emphasis on trying to get as much output in as little space as possible.
Finding this game led me to his other game, Reactor Idle, which is an alternative to Reactor Incremental, which has a nicer version called Reactor Knock-off. All of which are fun in their own right though more like puzzle games with idle tack-ons than outright idle clickers. Thanks to finding all these I'm now playing too many games at once in a browser and my normal gaming is suffering. I miss you, Doom.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
For new RG folks: it is worth giving a shot to speedrun as soon as you reasonably can. There's a thread on the wiki/reddit somewhere that details the ways to do it and it makes a HUGE difference in your startup time. Not sure if it's possible in R0, but it's possible pretty early.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I have been playing shark game. I did my first gate trip, and decided on my second one I wanted to get at least one of those 1billion science things.

It's slow going, and I'm sure just prestiging again would make it quicker.

The best way i've found to do it is actually a pretty amusing thing.

Get a ton of shrimp.

Get a recycler.

Recycle Algae

Turn algae into sponges.

Make shrimp queens.

Repeat.

Then turn algae into silent archivists, as you're suddenly getting 1b/s

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Whatever you have most -> kelp usually cranks out the research in a hurry.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Shrimp Queens and Egg Brooders are very good things to make using the recycler to feedback loop. Lobster Berriers can be very effective too; I think there's one world type where every Producer's production is greatly diminished except Lobster Berriers, which are highly effective.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

KittyEmpress posted:

Get a ton of shrimp.

Get a recycler.

Recycle Algae

Turn algae into sponges.

Make shrimp queens.

Repeat.

Then turn algae into silent archivists, as you're suddenly getting 1b/s

First, allow me to quote myself:

Ranter posted:

Shrimps are the bees knees.

Second, if you're not just using recycler to get kelp for apples, you're doing it wrong. Apples = science. No one is using +science dudes mid-to-late game. You only need science sharks at the start.

On a haven planet, I average 1 minute 40 seconds to 2 minutes 30 seconds depending on how pro-gamer I am with the APM.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 21, 2016

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Eldercain posted:

For new RG folks: it is worth giving a shot to speedrun as soon as you reasonably can. There's a thread on the wiki/reddit somewhere that details the ways to do it and it makes a HUGE difference in your startup time. Not sure if it's possible in R0, but it's possible pretty early.

Speed Run is easily done in R0 if you have at least a few quadrillion gems. I followed some guide to get it and it popped literally three steps before I finished it.

Does grinding Titans get any faster? I get about 2 quadrillion gems every time I abdicate, but I need to get to quintillions.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I might have snookered myself at r16 partway through getting the 80 researches, my excavations are at 1400 and I have no way to realistically get to the point where I can get prod high enough to afford more in a research build. Whats my best way forward? Sit on LF forever and try again at r17?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Beasteh posted:

I might have snookered myself at r16 partway through getting the 80 researches, my excavations are at 1400 and I have no way to realistically get to the point where I can get prod high enough to afford more in a research build. Whats my best way forward? Sit on LF forever and try again at r17?

Unlock what researches you can with the RP you've already spent, and play elves or goblins (whichever one gives you better money production with your current unlocks) when you need more faction coins. Spending excavations for faction coins is always a fast option but it's never the only option.

When I first unlocked research, I burned excavations for unlocking the six buildings/trees, but for actually getting RP to push to 135 or whatever, I basically just ran elves the whole way without supplementing with excavations. Boring but effective.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Factory Idle suffers from exactly the same type of issues as the reactor idlers

Possibility to go into negative income and paint yourself into a corner, undoing all your effort for potentially days
Lots of wasted space it is not possible to use due to awkward sizes of buildings and/or inability to rotate them
Lack of sense of progress from getting a new material only to find out you need a ton of other upgrades for it to be better than old ones

And the most infuriating of all:
Finding this really great layout that utilizes almost all available space only for it to not work because the metal lab in that spot decides to output trash to research lab and metal reports to the recycler, with no ability for the player to influence this.

A shame really, the potential in reactor/factory idlers is great but there are too many lousy mechanics and/or outright bugs for these games to be enjoyable (personal opinion)

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Just wanna say I'm on R16 of Realm Grinder and I'm really loving pissed off that I read this thread and started playing it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Merijn posted:

Does grinding Titans get any faster? I get about 2 quadrillion gems every time I abdicate, but I need to get to quintillions.
Titans are heavily dependent on hitting the right building with LS. Try druid if you want more consistency.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Got over the hump and unlocked everything up to 120 so far, tried out a half baked elf/titan build and :stare:

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Ineptitude posted:

And the most infuriating of all:
Finding this really great layout that utilizes almost all available space only for it to not work because the metal lab in that spot decides to output trash to research lab and metal reports to the recycler, with no ability for the player to influence this.

That's not true. Things go out of buildings/out from convyer belts in a deterministic order. Top, Right, Bottom, Left, in clockwise order.
1 2 3
9 X 4
7 6 5

4X2

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

Lots of wasted space it is not possible to use due to awkward sizes of buildings and/or inability to rotate them

But that is the point, they are part-idler, part puzzle game. The puzzle part is getting an efficient layout from the parts that you have.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Residual Toast posted:

That's not true. Things go out of buildings/out from convyer belts in a deterministic order. Top, Right, Bottom, Left, in clockwise order.
1 2 3
9 X 4
7 6 5

4X2
You say that, but when I started feeding in steel as well as iron, my layout just started randomly making GBS threads waste onto what should have been the metal reports belt. Adding more belts didn't help.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

pumpinglemma posted:

You say that, but when I started feeding in steel as well as iron, my layout just started randomly making GBS threads waste onto what should have been the metal reports belt. Adding more belts didn't help.

They also have a throughput, and if the belt being fed is full, the belt will backup, and start only feeding in a direction that isn't fed up.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Residual Toast posted:

They also have a throughput, and if the belt being fed is full, the belt will backup, and start only feeding in a direction that isn't fed up.

I can confirm that you're right - it is deterministic and you just need to make sure any belts that back up don't have options like that.

You can also have multiple conveyor belts out of a single metals lab, and one will output the research and the other will output waste...as long as they don't backup, and that means upgrades/etc are necessary.

Having a ton of fun with Factory Idle though - although I wish there was more...gaminess to it. Hopefully it fleshes out over the next while, as right now there's too long between upgrades so you're doing lots of 'come back in a day' stuff.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Some tips for factory idle:

Conveyor belts can cross over or under each other. Here's a screenshot of my plastic production setup.

http://imgur.com/o8lnlkA

This might not be 100% efficient (coal is potentially overtaking the oil) but it's definitely more efficient than losing a third factory in that space.

ACtually strike all that, it jams up after a bit. :( Still, you can overlap the conveyor belts if you're careful.

While we're talking about half-baked tips: I really like using Engineering notation as opposed to scientific notation on Realm Grinder (goes up in 3s, so 1e6, 10e6, 100e6, 1e9, etc compared to 1e6, 1e7, 1e8) For whatever reason I could never keep track of scientific notation in any meaningful way in my head.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 22, 2016

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'm leaving town for a week, what's the best faction to leave idle on RG? Assuming drow bloodline?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ineptitude posted:

Factory Idle suffers from exactly the same type of issues as the reactor idlers

Yeah, I tried it for a bit and it's basically reactor idle translated to factory terms. No real innovation beyond dealing with research and pivot points take too long to be realized. If I don't have reason to fiddle for an entire loving day in the early game, there's something wrong with the pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Beasteh posted:

I'm leaving town for a week, what's the best faction to leave idle on RG? Assuming drow bloodline?

A week of offline idling is a good opportunity to get, if you haven't already:

- 36 hours playtime on a single faction in a single abdication for unlocking faceless
- 3-4 days playtime on dwarf (doesn't matter if fairy, elf, or angel) in a single abdication for Beard Carpet trophy
- 5 days total playtime (across Rs) on titan, druid, and/or faceless for the researches that require those
- Contribute to good or evil playtime for the Perfectly Good and Diabolical Evil trophies (Lucky Neutral will come as a side effect of getting those 5 day things above)

If you've already knocked all of those out, then go for benefits which extend across Rs (faceless is probably more valuable):

- Faceless playtime (benefit transfers partially to other factions via faceless challenge 4)
- Bloodstream (playtime on whatever faction you use the bloodline for when going for production, probably dwarf/titan/angel)

There may be some other ideas too, especially if you have the option of leaving the game online-but-idle instead of offline. When in doubt though, go faceless. Beefier Hive Mind never hurt anyone.