Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Government are well known for wanting taxes paid in iTunes gift cards, too :downs:

Jesus loving Christ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Yes, and delivering ultimatums via phone on a Saturday evening, and contacting you on your personal rather than business number, and asking you to call them back to a mobile rather than landline, and threatening to imprison you without trial, etc, etc....

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
https://www.myecon.net

Someone at work was gushing about this and passing out business cards for it. Apparently for a $180 sign up fee and $30 monthly maintenance fee they give you access to tools that let you incorporate yourself as a business and helps you "optimize your tax forms" so you can deduct a bunch of stuff from your taxes. They also have a referral thing where you get $50 for everyone you refer and everyone they refer. The whole thing sounds absurdly shady but I googled it and was unable to find any kind of scam warnings about it other than one blog post, despite it apparently being around since 2009.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Sanford posted:

they pulled up outside Argos and found it was closed.
They're really pleased with themselves for having spotted that it was a con,

"I meant to do that."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Xequecal posted:

https://www.myecon.net

Someone at work was gushing about this and passing out business cards for it. Apparently for a $180 sign up fee and $30 monthly maintenance fee they give you access to tools that let you incorporate yourself as a business and helps you "optimize your tax forms" so you can deduct a bunch of stuff from your taxes. They also have a referral thing where you get $50 for everyone you refer and everyone they refer. The whole thing sounds absurdly shady but I googled it and was unable to find any kind of scam warnings about it other than one blog post, despite it apparently being around since 2009.

This doesn't sound so much like a scam, as a dude selling you the means to put yourself in jail. It's not illegal, or even scammy really, to help people incorporate businesses. There are some easy ways to streamline a business return that a CPA can show you, and which you can pass off to gullible people. Those might even be appreciated by stupid business owners who don't want to hire an accountant. But falsely incorporating a business to try and lie on your taxes and get undeserved deducations is a really good way to get the government furious at you. The IRS does not gently caress around with that poo poo. And the people who would fall for this (I.E. those who don't have enough money to pay someone to do it right.) don't really have the means to dig themselves out of that hole once an audit figures out what they're doing.

This seems less like a scam, and more like a dude opening up a "Black Van, duffel bag, and Jackhammer Emporium!" across from the town bank. Still a ways to part fools from their money, but he's technically selling you things that could be actually useful in the right context. He's just advertising it in a way that will almost certainly get you in a lot of trouble.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I didn't click the link, but another scammy type of business that I don't think has been mentioned yet are those companies that advertise HOT TIPS TO BEAT THE GOVERNMENT but when you fork over your cash all you get is a cruddy pile of publicly available information. Like the scammers just write to various government agencies and make copies of the information because it's not copyrighted or is freely copyable, and charge tons of money for this SECRET INSIDER INFORMATION.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you're dumb enough to actually believe the government would allow information on how to actually beat it in any meaningful sense of the word to be promulgated widely, you deserve to lose your money. Same thing if you spend money on Sovereign Citizen nonsense.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Well, it looks like MyEcon sells other things besides questionable tax advice, like these discs the same co worker was gushing about today:

quote:

Background: Quantum Health Technologies, in conjunction with Advance Science Manufacturing, has developed a proprietary method of placing energetic formulas onto a holographic disc. These formulas can be changed to provide energy, help reduce pain, drain your sinuses, help you sleep, and much more. No drugs are involved and nothing enters the body. Simply place the disc near the appropriate acupuncture point and in most cases results can be felt quickly. Think of it as acupuncture without the needles.

How it Works: Every part of your body gives off energy. When you are healthy, you are energetically balanced. Being energetically balanced means all these energies are at their proper levels and frequencies. When you are not, then illness and other issues appear. We believe, the holograms adjust the abnormal energy back to normal by using a method known in physics as entrainment. Entrainment has been clinically demonstrated using pendulum clocks. Multiple identical pendulum clocks were placed on a wall near each other and the pendulums were swung. After a period of time, all the pendulums were swinging together. The clocks obviously energetically interacted with each other. We believe our disc operate in a similar manner. They energetically interact with the human body to balance it energetically. No drugs are used, and the disc only needs to be within 2 or 3 inches of the body to work. (Yes they can go on clothes or on top of a band aid) Because of the way energy travels through the body, optimum results are achieved when you are properly hydrated. Because this method can only move you back to normal, you cannot overdose. The body will only take what it needs. Discs deplete when in use. Normally discs will last 3 to 7 days. Caution – These products work when within a couple of inches of the body. When this occurs, the energy in the discs is depleting. When removed away from the body, the energy depletion stops. For this reason do not put all your discs in your pocket for an extended period of time. You are using them!

http://www.firstquantumconnection.com/

They also have business cards. My co worker is apparently their new "Ultimate Executive Vice President". I took some phone pictures but they have her name on them so I can't post it. I'm a little peeved, its not fun getting lectured about how I'm meekly submitting to being poisoned by Pfizer while she's trying to shoo me away from standing near her storage area, because apparently human proximity drains these discs of their energy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:f5: <---me ordering a year supply of energy discs

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

One of the bullet points on the energy disc page says that they are "non-transdermal, no drugs or chemicals: nothing enters the body". Hmm, you don't say :frog::pipe:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I didn't click the link, but another scammy type of business that I don't think has been mentioned yet are those companies that advertise HOT TIPS TO BEAT THE GOVERNMENT but when you fork over your cash all you get is a cruddy pile of publicly available information. Like the scammers just write to various government agencies and make copies of the information because it's not copyrighted or is freely copyable, and charge tons of money for this SECRET INSIDER INFORMATION.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I'm pretty sure that was less "commonly available information" and more "outright tax fraud".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

He must have done something right because his nephew was my freshman year roommate and motherfucker was old-school loaded. Fancy cigars lit with gold-plated lighters, dressed like he was going to a yacht club at all times, that sort of thing.

Looked just like a younger version of his uncle, too! Never got him to wear a suit with question marks on it though...

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 18, 2016

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

HA, when I worked on benefits.gov that guy was our arch-enemy. We would constantly get emails asking for a refund from people who bought his book and realized it was just a collection of various government program and how to qualify for them (which our site did for free and dynamically).

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

MONFY WAS FRAMED

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Male Man posted:

I'm pretty sure that was less "commonly available information" and more "outright tax fraud".

Nah, that was the commonly available information one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Olds keep falling for the same phone scams here.

:heysexy: Hey, it's me. This is my boss's phone.
:j: Oh, [name]? What's wrong?
:heysexy: I hosed up at work and now I'm out $20k. If the customer finds out, not only will I get fired, but the whole company will be in trouble.
:j: Oh my goodness how terrible.
:heysexy: Can you wire money/deliver a paper bag of cash to my boss asap?
:j: Yes of course right away.

It still works, and for some pretty crazy sums of money :/

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Xequecal posted:

Well, it looks like MyEcon sells other things besides questionable tax advice, like these discs the same co worker was gushing about today:

http://www.firstquantumconnection.com/

Doctor dick sure knows how to cure a headache with a $40 piece of plastic and $40 wristband, money well spent?

quote:

Relief: Have to share a personal testimonial with you. I was in a car accident about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I did suffer some injuries, mainly soft tissue. Anyway I’ve been getting treatment and feeling better but I’ve really been having some headaches. Yesterday was an especially bad day to the point where I was ready to take some Aleve. Dr. xxxx worked on me about 5 in the afternoon, I felt better but the headaches persisted. As I was being worked on by Dr. xxx he found some very active trigger points that when pressure was applied referred pain to my head. When I got home I told my wife to put the pain chips on the exact trigger points. I’m not exaggerating this; my headaches went away in 5 minutes. Now I’ve had some personal success with the energy and sleep, but haven’t had really with the pain. Really hasn’t had much pain until recently with the car accident. Long story short, this is something that works.
Great stuff!!!

— Darin, TX

stringball fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 19, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

HAHA, who would ever suspect the Riddler was capable of such a crime?

Except for anyone with a lick of common sense. He's dressed up like a freaking palate swapped Batman villain for crying out loud.

And yet people still sent him money.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 19, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I think I skimmed one of those books at my library once and it was interesting. It's scammy in the sense of someone selling you things you can find out for free with some research but the stuff inside didn't seem like you'd end up in jail or with the IRS breathing down your neck like trying to incorporate yourself as an LLC when you're not a business. Most of it was pretty oddball poo poo though. I'm pretty sure the dude even straight up said in an interview he was just selling stuff that the government will willingly let you know about if you ask.

He used to be on late night TV all the time too, if it was on Adult Swim I would've thought of it as a joke but nope it's real.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah that poo poo isn't really a scam. I don't see how "pay $30 for this book of info that's free online" is much different from, say "pay $500 to have someone tell you which exercises to do and foods to eat instead of doing some research online" or "pay $40 for an oil change instead of reading up on how to do it yourself for $5"

It's a bit crappy to sell freely available information, but I mean nowadays you could argue that virtually any industry is guilty of the same. I had a college professor literally tell my class "I'm skipping these 3 chapters in the text (which cost like $200) because they don't do a great job of explaining the material, here are some links to places online that cover it much better."

If the things in the book that dude was shilling were flat-out illegal, that's another story, but I wouldn't consider what is essentially a strategy guide for optimizing your tax poo poo to be a scam, since there is arguable value in what he's selling.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

It's a bit crappy to sell freely available information, but I mean nowadays you could argue that virtually any industry is guilty of the same. I had a college professor literally tell my class "I'm skipping these 3 chapters in the text (which cost like $200) because they don't do a great job of explaining the material, here are some links to places online that cover it much better."

I had a college professor once that had his work stolen by a textbook company, after they used some shady practices to gently caress him out of the money they were supposed to pay him for the sections of the book he provided the work for.

He kept pdf files of the entire textbook and distributed them freely to our class, because "gently caress those guys" :frogc00l:

Last I heard the school told him to stop doing it, and he told them they could fire him or gently caress off because he wasn't going to.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

I had a college professor once that had his work stolen by a textbook company, after they used some shady practices to gently caress him out of the money they were supposed to pay him for the sections of the book he provided the work for.

He kept pdf files of the entire textbook and distributed them freely to our class, because "gently caress those guys" :frogc00l:

Last I heard the school told him to stop doing it, and he told them they could fire him or gently caress off because he wasn't going to.

Conversely I had a class where 2 of the 3 required texts were written by the professor himself. Not only were they $80-120 each, but the fact that he wrote them meant you absolutely had to have them if you didn't want to get called out on something absurdly specific during class.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

I drove next to this guy on the highway once for about 10 minutes and nearly wrecked my car trying to keep pace with him hope that he would notice me and give me a big thumbs up and a grin.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I was thinking specifically of Lesko when I made my last post, but it's worth mentioning that his books might have been a decent value before the Internet. Finding out about all those programs yourself would have meant hours of research at the local library, sending physical letters off to various government agencies, and making long-distance phone calls. But like the other goon said, things like benefits.gov exist now. Dude had some good marketing sense though: I remember seeing his ads and thinking "tons of free money? yeah right" but the combo of "hmm well i guess i don't know there aren't lots of free government programs" and his kind of disarming wackiness really made me want to order a book just to see if it was true.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I've heard that he showed up to his own son's graduation wearing that suit

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I would embarrass all of my children, grandchilden, nieces, and nephews by wearing that suit in public and loudly declaring how related we are wherever I went. I'm the oldest cousin on both sides of my family, so I actually did that with a ton of my cousins during their surly teenage years.

It actually worked really well with them on vacations when they weren't anywhere near their home. They'd get over being embarrassed being seen with family in public really quick and go back to being the fun kids I remembered them to be.

Anyway Lesko kind of comes off as a social worker who went into the private sector. Depending on the price he doesn't come off as too scammy.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008
The talk of tax loopholes and the culture around trying to find them reminded me of this great blog post - it's an account of a lawyer who gets funded to go on a cruise for conspiracy theorists and associated people and kind of talks about the type of people who speak at, as well as attend, conferences like that.

https://violentmetaphors.com/2016/0...a-cruise-day-2/

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
There's a good Planet Money on the whole Sovereign Citizen thing:
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/02/19/467383708/episode-685-larry-vs-the-irs

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013

Karmoderm posted:

The talk of tax loopholes and the culture around trying to find them reminded me of this great blog post - it's an account of a lawyer who gets funded to go on a cruise for conspiracy theorists and associated people and kind of talks about the type of people who speak at, as well as attend, conferences like that.

https://violentmetaphors.com/2016/0...a-cruise-day-2/

quote:

He told the audience here that a court order is the same thing as a money order. I’m not joking. He literally thinks a court order and a money order are the same thing, and that complaints are a kind of court order, and that judges cash them at the Fed and keep 30% for their own retirement.

This makes Lesko seem like a saint by comparison. (Great article btw.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ConspiraSea :holymoley:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What if the government sinks that ship?!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This is a pretty easy one, but it blew my mind when I found out about it today: drug addict parents creating fake raffle tickets, printing them off, then sending their kids to go around asking their teachers and peers for money.

The teacher who told me about it told me she only gives money to the kids she knows are in hockey, aka the better off kids, usually, so basically don't trust poor students :(

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Xequecal posted:

I'm a little late on this, but I tried to google what entrainment actually is. It's the movement of particles by a liquid or gas. So these discs are powered by the same concept as flushing poo poo in a toilet. Great, I'm sold.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Got a live one. Someone called me while I was running. I listen to the message and it's "[cutoff]from the [somethingsomething], call me at [number]. Again, this is [somebody] from the Internal Revenue Service."

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

While on vacation I convinced a married couple I was rich and would pay them $10k to bang the wife.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

While on vacation I convinced a married couple I was rich and would pay them $10k to bang the wife.

Did you bang the wife

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Did you bang the wife

I did although it kinda ruined the trip as it was the first night in the same hotel as them and it became harder to come up with excuses on where his money was. I ended up leaving a day early because he was finally catching on that at that point I had maybe $200 with me.

The one thing that was odd was how much more mad he was about it then his wife. Not saying the sex was that good but she had a whatever attitude while I started to feel bad for him because 4-5 years down the road if they were still together it would be eating at him still.

Edit to add
They were married about a year at that point and took maybe an hour tops from meeting them at the hotel bar. The deal was she spend the night and I would have $10k for them in a day or two. She ended up staying till the next afternoon and it took a lot to convince her to leave. I had to play up the rich thing and it cost me like $125 in room service poo poo and was not worth it. I told her my family was co creators of Gatorade

HOT! New Memes fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 24, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man that's a lot of effort, you really have to work for it I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

what the :gonk: