Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OPPAI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

My only regret... is that I have... boneritis!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You have Boner Tits?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Johnny Aztec posted:

You have Boner Tits?

It makes finding a bra that fits really hard.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
"Jelly Belly Family Sued Over WWII Tank Death"

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

:stare:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I know, I would've trimmed the fark poo poo out of the url, too

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Shouldn't have used one of those cheap Chinese gaffs made of depleted uranium.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I read the news article and I'm not entirely convinced of the doctor's reasoning for the cancer, so may as well go with this guess.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Didn't click the link but I know about the death. Good. They don't have a history of being nice people.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Mournful tits

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Isn't the point of depleted uranium that it's uhhhhh depleted?

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Uranium is a toxic metal to begin with, even without the radiation.

Also, you'd be suprised just how drat long radioactive material keeps radiating. Even spent nuclear fuel will continue radiating for about 10,000 years under best case scenarios. Chernobyl won't be safe for human habitation for 20,000 years. The smallest radioactive element, technectium, has a half-life of 211,000 years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
BBC in contention for "headline of the year".

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Also, you'd be suprised just how drat long radioactive material keeps radiating. Even spent nuclear fuel will continue radiating for about 10,000 years under best case scenarios. Chernobyl won't be safe for human habitation for 20,000 years.
Well, "safe for human habitation" is a phrase that carries a lot more baggage than you'd think. You'd certainly have a higher than normal cancer risk, but the place is pretty verdant, and there's close to 200 people who've already moved back there.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The NYPD is becoming increasingly hardcore, they must be learning martial arts

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Strudel Man posted:

Well, "safe for human habitation" is a phrase that carries a lot more baggage than you'd think. You'd certainly have a higher than normal cancer risk, but the place is pretty verdant, and there's close to 200 people who've already moved back there.

Yeah, I keep hearing stories about vibrant animal life there now, not like, tumor monsters. Perhaps a level-headed re-evaluation of the area's danger wouldn't be out of the question? Though on the other hand, having this sort of accidental wildlife preserve happen is also pretty cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just give it a few more years until everything living there is a radiation resistant super mutant

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I keep hearing stories about vibrant animal life there now, not like, tumor monsters. Perhaps a level-headed re-evaluation of the area's danger wouldn't be out of the question? Though on the other hand, having this sort of accidental wildlife preserve happen is also pretty cool.
Reality is slightly less dramatic than tumor monsters. The fauna is likely dying earlier than they would elsewhere and suffering poorer birthrates in a way that it can certainly be repopulated by animals up to and including humans, but would be bleak and miserable for anyone who could comprehend the situation. Its a roulette sort of situation too where large parts are fairly clean and its mostly stabilized that the worst parts stay where they are, but you're still dealing with stuff like dust and water runoff bringing radiation to places where it wasn't yesterday, so anyone spending any time in the place ends up carrying a geiger counter everywhere.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Depleted uranium is still uranium. Uranium is naturally a mixture of U-238 and U-235. U-238 makes up the vast majority of it, but the U-235 is what they need for nuclear reactors and bombs. So they take uranium and they separate it as best they can into 238 and 235. The output that has more 235 is enriched uranium, and the output that has less is depleted uranium. Depleted does not mean stable, and it does not mean safe. It means "useless for the purposes of nuclear reactors and atomic bombs". It is somewhat less radioactive than natural or enriched uranium but it's definitely still radioactive.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I kinda prefer it this way. "Places where people live" are a dime a dozen, I don't mind an occasional nuclear conservatory.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cock hero flux posted:

Depleted uranium is still uranium. Uranium is naturally a mixture of U-238 and U-235. U-238 makes up the vast majority of it, but the U-235 is what they need for nuclear reactors and bombs. So they take uranium and they separate it as best they can into 238 and 235. The output that has more 235 is enriched uranium, and the output that has less is depleted uranium. Depleted does not mean stable, and it does not mean safe. It means "useless for the purposes of nuclear reactors and atomic bombs". It is somewhat less radioactive than natural or enriched uranium but it's definitely still radioactive.

It's also a heavy metal, and that's bad for you. See: lead. Lead - It's Still In Paint! :patriot:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Note that the principle radiation risk is from daughter atoms. U-238 itself only emits alpha particles, which can't really travel far in the atmosphere or even penetrate regular clothing. Even so, the radiation risk is so low you're not really going to see any side effects unless you eat the stuff, and then heavy metal poisoning is going to be about a million times (not speaking figuratively here) more pressing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Male Man posted:

Note that the principle radiation risk is from daughter atoms. U-238 itself only emits alpha particles, which can't really travel far in the atmosphere or even penetrate regular clothing. Even so, the radiation risk is so low you're not really going to see any side effects unless you eat the stuff, and then heavy metal poisoning is going to be about a million times (not speaking figuratively here) more pressing.

Yeah, the damage comes less from the radiation and more from the fact that when you use it in ammunition or armor it has a tendency to give off some uranium powder on impacts which is very easy to breathe in and tends to lightly dust huge areas around where conflicts have taken place.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's also a heavy metal, and that's bad for you.

I always knew that satanic music couldn't be good for ya! :bahgawd:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Male Man posted:

Note that the principle radiation risk is from daughter atoms.

:siren: MISOGYNY :siren:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sordas Volantyr posted:

The smallest radioactive element, technectium, has a half-life of 211,000 years.

what does "the smallest radioactive element" mean, to you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

It’s the smallest‐numbered element with no stable isotopes. I assume that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The nerd is getting ready to pounce

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

The radioactive element(which is to say, element with no stable isotopes) with the lowest atomic and mass number. Which is technetium.

What are you getting at here? I mean there are elements and isotopes that have a much shorter half life than technetium but the statement is literally correct, technetium is the smallest one and that is its half life.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i was curious

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Might have been confusing radioactive elements with stable elements that have radioactive isotopes, like the radiocarbon isotopes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kraps posted:

The NYPD is becoming increasingly hardcore, they must be learning martial arts

goddamn

stab the police imo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is worse than the nuclear power derails in D&D somehow

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

quote:

Man Accused Of Paying Stripper For Lap Dance With Fake $100 Bill

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Huh. I always thought it was pretty minimally radioactive. Guess I'm going back to lead for my cutlery.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Huh. I always thought it was pretty minimally radioactive. Guess I'm going back to lead for my cutlery.
"Minimally radioactive" still means "radioactive". I wouldn't sleep with a chunk of uranium ore underneath my pillow, but I don't think leaving it lying around on a shelf somewhere would seriously endanger me. The far bigger problem, as has been mentioned time and time again, is that it IS a heavy metal. Being around it: safe enough. Ingesting: big no-no.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gently caress you, you can't tell me what to do

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now they say we can't eat uranium :rolleyes: loving nanny state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted: