Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Groogy posted:

You know how to mod right? Be first and create a mod where that is the point. Then watch the forum / workshop burns.

Part of me wants to see the reaction, part of me doesn't want to put in a huge amount of effort to troll them, and part of me feels like the moderators haven't done anything to deserve the ensuing bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Drone posted:

"Civil War historian" on the Paradox forums tends to mean "owns some Confederate flag paraphernalia" and/or is someone who is 90% likely to refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression.

Which would also mostly describe Shelby Foote.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Drone posted:

Groogy you need to reinstate the hedgehog, I find it really hard to distinguish your posts now :(

Fixed

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Groogy posted:

Hey I am all for mechas in hoi 4. Not even being ironic.

But the thing is that tanks are a dead end, mechas are the future.

Hearts of Iron 4: War Wheels and Rocketeers are historically accurate I'll have you know.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ExtraNoise posted:

No, but see, you just don't get it. If they don't make tanks the best thing ever then that won't lead to research to give me gundams!!! Tanks are literally superior to every other form of warfare ever made and can only be made better by putting legs and wings on them, which is pretty obviously where Hitler was going before the war ended. The only reason those German tanks broke down invading Russia is because they didn't have ENOUGH wings and legs!!!! Any idiot can see this. Paradox should hire me for history consultation, obv.

There was a not WW1 (I think it was WW1) book setting where the central/axis powers were all mechanized industrial stuff and had mech-tanks while the entente/allies all had animals like giant flying whales or bears and stuff. It also had the coolest political map ever.

make that a mod

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Every day dozens of abused tanks have to be put to sleep for lack of repair facilities:

For just $10 a neglected Panther can have its final drive replaced, enabling it to enjoy life to the fullest for an almost 20km road march. Please donate today!

What happened to the panther, torpedo and 90mm flack gun that some old german dude had squirreled away in his basement garage?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gamerofthegame posted:

There was a not WW1 (I think it was WW1) book setting where the central/axis powers were all mechanized industrial stuff and had mech-tanks while the entente/allies all had animals like giant flying whales or bears and stuff. It also had the coolest political map ever.

make that a mod

I thought it was just a map that someone put together as an art piece? Was there actually fiction behind this?

Edit: also why is Italy neutral in this version of WW1 :psyduck:

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 20, 2016

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Drone posted:

I thought it was just a map that someone put together as an art piece? Was there actually fiction behind this?

but why is russia crying?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Drone posted:

http://leviathanscottwesterfeld.wikia.com/wiki/Leviathan_Wiki

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Heh, everyone else gets cool mech stuff, or powerful beasts or even whimsical fantasy creatures. Switzerland is a watch.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TeenageArchipelago posted:

but why is russia crying?

He's rotting apart while being eaten by flies.

He's also gagging on an unfortunate amount of industrial machinery.

I don't think either of those things are all that enjoyable to go through.

EDIT: Unless you're into that, of course.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 20, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yes.

This is good.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

He's rotting apart while being eaten by flies.

He's also gagging on an unfortunate amount of industrial machinery.

I don't think either of those things are all that enjoyable to go through.

that makes a lot more sense then my "infected nose piercing" theory

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Groogy posted:

You know how to mod right? Be first and create a mod where that is the point. Then watch the forum / workshop burns.

tbh that might be a pretty fun practice mod to learn the ropes on, since I'd only need to add one new tag, a few events, and give the Americans General Sherman.

EDIT:

Drone posted:

The map says 1914, and Italy didn't enter the war until May 1915.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 20, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
quote is not edit

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Groogy posted:

Hey I am all for mechas in hoi 4. Not even being ironic.

But the thing is that tanks are a dead end, mechas are the future.

Don't discount the Shagohod!

As the person who started the whole tank argument I would like to apologize, as the biggest concern was from that Germany game from a previous build where infantry were apparently OP with infinite manpower.

I just want to be able to recreate something like the battle of kursk in the game, with over 10,000 tanks involved if you include both sides!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I would have preferred John Cleese.

Here's to the younger goons who don't know the sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQkcP0olmQY

texasmed
May 27, 2004
polease change thread title to hitler, confederate, and mechwarrior appreciation station

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So do we have any idea on what the two expansions might be?

I uh, never played any of the other HoI games because they seemed a bit too dense/spergy for me. This looks accessible enough ( and I've now played enough CK2 ) that I think I'll be able to jump in.

Only thing is, PDoX DLC tends to be in the $10-$15 range, so two $25 expansions seem like they'll probably be pretty significant. Just curious as to what kind of stuff expansions of that size could actually add.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just hope tonnage is in from HoI3

I liked seeing Japans economy fail before my eyes as I strangled it to death with a horde of submarines

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Rookersh posted:

Probably depends on what problems the game has, based on community consensus. Minor stuff include more countries, of course. A Greek/Byzatine Turkey/Ottoman resurgence focus packs. :v:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Option to form Rome as Italy under Emperor Mussolius

Imperial Subjugation cassus belli against France, Spain, Portugal, UK, Benelux and greece

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but for some reason not turkey?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I'm guessing there might be a timeline extension expansion, people will definitely want to drive around early cold war tanks regardless of how well the game supports it. Probably a Pacific focused expansion centered around China, the Sino-Japanese front is practically begging for an expansion based on what we've seen in previews.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

but for some reason not turkey?

No

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Rookersh posted:

I uh, never played any of the other HoI games because they seemed a bit too dense/spergy for me. This looks accessible enough ( and I've now played enough CK2 ) that I think I'll be able to jump in.

Only thing is, PDoX DLC tends to be in the $10-$15 range, so two $25 expansions seem like they'll probably be pretty significant. Just curious as to what kind of stuff expansions of that size could actually add.

the wording makes it seem like it will be expansions plus things like tank packs and music packs that will come out with the expansions

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Drone posted:

"Civil War historian" on the Paradox forums tends to mean "owns some Confederate flag paraphernalia" and/or is someone who is 90% likely to refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression.

Even when I lived in Nashville I never heard it called that. I've never heard it called that in Richmond for christ's sake. My parents never heard it called that when they lived in Birmingham, Alabama in the '80s. Who actually calls it that? Other than cranks on the internet.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Mortabis posted:

Who actually calls it that? Other than cranks on the internet.

I had a friend who lived in Shreveport and referred to it that way. He also went on to explain to me that the South had blacks in their armies and that they volunteered to fight, so the South couldn't possibly be racist and there was no way the Civil War was fought over slavery.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

I had a friend who lived in Shreveport and referred to it that way. He also went on to explain to me that the South had blacks in their armies and that they volunteered to fight, so the South couldn't possibly be racist and there was no way the Civil War was fought over slavery.

I think there actually was an attempt, towards the end of the war, by the Confederacy, or one of the Confederate states atleast, to introduce legislation that would allow slaves to volunteer for the army in return for emancipation on an individual basis. It went on to be soundly rejected by legislators, the majority of which were slave owners.

Apart from that measure, which never really came to pass there weren't really many black people in the Confederate armies at all other than a very few free black volunteers, whom I think mostly served as laborers and servants. The Confederate government also wanted to draft (or more accurately rent) slaves for labor, but slave owners largley were against this too as they didn't want their slaves away from the plantations, possibly near Union troops, or gathered in large numbers with other slaves.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 21, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

the wording makes it seem like it will be expansions plus things like tank packs and music packs that will come out with the expansions

Don't forget the badly written books/CYOAs that they will release.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The slave states were absolutely terrified of the idea of black people with guns, and they had standing orders for any captured black union soldiers and their officers to be executed.

GENERAL ORDERS, No. 111. posted:

Now therefore I, Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America and acting by their authority.... do issue this my proclamation, and by virtue of my authority as Commander-in-Chief of the Armies of the Confederate States do order–

1. That all commissioned officers in the command of said Benjamin F. Butler be declared not entitled to be considered as soldiers engaged in honorable warfare but as robbers and criminals deserving death, and that they and each of them be whenever captured reserved for execution.

3. That all negro slaves captured in arms be at once delivered over to the executive authorities of the respective States to which they belong to be dealt with according to the laws of said States.

4. That the like orders be executed in all cases with respect to all commissioned officers of the United States when found serving in company with armed slaves in insurrection against the authorities of the different States of this Confederacy.

In testimony whereof I have signed these presents and caused the seal of the Confederate States of America to be affixed thereto at the city of Richmond on this 23d day of December, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-two.

JEFF'N DAVIS.

By the President:
J. P. BENJAMIN, Secretary of State.

That's why the prisoner exchange system broke down and the POW camps became such a nightmare.

They didn't try arming slaves until very late in the war, a month after the capital had been captured and burned. They never saw combat and every slave and officer involved was convinced they were going to be shot in the back if they did. Unsurprisingly, the CSA was still petty enough to decree that any slave conscripted would be considered property and returned at the end of the war.

GENERAL ORDERS, No. 14. posted:

SEC 5. That nothing in this act shall be construed to authorize a change in the relation which the said slaves shall bear toward their owners, except by consent of the owners and of the States in which they may reside, and in pursuance of the laws thereof.

Approved March 13, 1865.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

They didn't try arming slaves until very late in the war, a month after the capital had been captured and burned. They never saw combat and every slave and officer involved was convinced they were going to be shot in the back if they did. Unsurprisingly, the CSA was still petty enough to decree that any slave conscripted would be considered property and returned at the end of the war.

Oh, I remembered that one wrong then.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
gently caress it I pulled the trigger on the Field Marshall Edition with the GMG coupon since I've got the money now now now and would probably end up with all the DLC anyway.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Koesj posted:

gently caress it I pulled the trigger on the Field Marshall Edition with the GMG coupon since I've got the money now now now and would probably end up with all the DLC anyway.

But if you just didn't spend that money you'd have that money when the content came out and you'd be able to acertain if it was garbage?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ExtraNoise posted:

You know, whenever I hear this it's always "I had a friend who called it that." I've never met any of these supposed friends in all my time in the South, and neither have my parents. And every time it's always been in a derogatory manner, like, "what kind of fool would call it the war of northern aggression?"

Here in Fairfax I hear people saying "down in Richmond they call it that" and in Richmond they're like "in Petersburg they call it that." In Nashville people said "in Birmingham they call it that." In Birmingham they said "In Jackson they call it that." In Jackson they said "In Pascagoula they call it that." Now I've never been to Pascagoula but I bet they don't call it that there either.

I am convinced the whole thing is an urban legend, like the people who had a kid named "Le-a" ("it's pronounced 'Ledasha!'") in their kindergarten class.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

But if you just didn't spend that money you'd have that money when the content came out and you'd be able to acertain if it was garbage?

If he didn't buy it now then they would run out of downloads if the dlc was good

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Nitrousoxide posted:

with the gmg coupon you get it at a discount, so you wouldn't actually have that money if you bought it later

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Mortabis posted:

You know, whenever I hear this it's always "I had a friend who called it that." I've never met any of these supposed friends in all my time in the South, and neither have my parents. And every time it's always been in a derogatory manner, like, "what kind of fool would call it the war of northern aggression?"

Here in Fairfax I hear people saying "down in Richmond they call it that" and in Richmond they're like "in Petersburg they call it that." In Nashville people said "in Birmingham they call it that." In Birmingham they said "In Jackson they call it that." In Jackson they said "In Pascagoula they call it that." Now I've never been to Pascagoula but I bet they don't call it that there either.

I am convinced the whole thing is an urban legend, like the people who had a kid named "Le-a" ("it's pronounced 'Ledasha!'") in their kindergarten class.

I mean not to bring D&D into here, but a simple google search would have shown you that some people unironically call it that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDYKgGRcMw0

You're probably right that it's not common at all, but I can imagine that the same type of fuckwit who would turn to neo-nazism anywhere else, might think that slavery was good and that the North acted illegally.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mortabis posted:

My point wasn't that Southerners call it that.

My point was that people who post on the Paradox forums about the Civil War are more likely to be the types that call it that. Also to have an unusually large collection of Nazi daggers, and maybe a Reichsfahne hanging from their wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We play paradox games. We're all mentally dysfunctional in some fashion or another.

I've honestly never heard anybody call it the War of Northern Aggression outside the context of "so and so probably calls it that because they're a crazy hick!". They've always seemed to prefer War Between the States, to emphasize the whole state sovereignty vs federal control thing. And here in Maryland, everybody just calls it the Civil War regardless of their political leanings.