Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zand posted:

the best fighting games look like poo poo

but

but sf5

but xrd?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm not talking about the graphics

the movement and "aiming" (for lack of a better term) look janky and jerky as hell

movement speed is really slow, melee attacks seem to do their damage far to fast and have very little range, the areans are tiny, and there are enough obstacles to make "ranged" play basically useless

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 20, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NuclearPotato posted:

Come to the Skullgirls Salty Suite; I'll be the guy getting planted six feet under by everyone (literally, if they're playing Squigly :v:).

If I get to play you at some point during CB, I'll play squiggly just 4 u

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Random history question: when hearing people talk about annoying characters, I've heard Sagat's name from CVS2 come up a few times. What was his deal?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
On top of business as usual, Sagat's c.hp had a monstrous hitbox

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
also his damage in the baby grooves was big... k sagat landing a super was big. really annoying big move guy also has combo from lights

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah, I was reading an article that mentioned the c.hp particularly as "defining the game for it's first few years of existence" and wasn't sure if that was hyperbole or not. Guess it's got a reputation.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

NecroMonster posted:

i'm not talking about the graphics

the movement and "aiming" (for lack of a better term) look janky and jerky as hell

movement speed is really slow, melee attacks seem to do their damage far to fast and have very little range, the areans are tiny, and there are enough obstacles to make "ranged" play basically useless

this don't make it bad tho. could be a fun couch gamer game

attackmole posted:

Yeah, I was reading an article that mentioned the c.hp particularly as "defining the game for it's first few years of existence" and wasn't sure if that was hyperbole or not. Guess it's got a reputation.

blanka though

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Zand posted:

the best fighting games look like poo poo

marvel 3

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
When you ate a Sagat crouching fierce ch you felt it in your bones

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

He didn't say that looking like poo poo means the game is good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But Marvel 3 is good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Buhbuhj posted:

Did anyone get Koihime Enbu and is the netcode poo poo?

30 dollars is too much I will wait

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

marvel 3 is pretty good it's just badly flawed and far worse (but more accessible in a good way!) than the game in the series that came before it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is KOFXIV good?? The answer may surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fJR7GJbp9M

PS: it is.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Arzachel posted:

He didn't say that looking like poo poo means the game is good

a guy who likes sf5 and hates marvel...
this is the world we live in now

s m g*d d h

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Buhbuhj posted:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

lookin so good

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Saoshyant posted:

Graphics and animation still look like arse but the core gameplay looks top notch.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Fr the only thing I want them to fix is the run animations that look too slow for how fast you move

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

anothergod posted:

Any tips/tricks/etc to have fun and/or just be **cool** would be appreciated.

Shower, and brush your teeth.

Seriously, there's always a bunch of smelly fuckers at these things, don't be that guy.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Fereydun posted:

a guy who likes sf5 and hates marvel...
this is the world we live in now

s m g*d d h

Sf5 is an alright if very dull game packaged in liquid poo poo, marvel 3 is just the regular kind of bad.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
marvel 3 is much closer to being a good game than sf5. painfully close even. yet so far away...

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Arzachel posted:

Sf5 is an alright if very dull game packaged in liquid poo poo, marvel 3 is just the regular kind of bad.

drat i just guessed but looks like i hit it right on the nose
now how to increase sample size as to attribute correlation on a wider scale....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't particularly like either marvel 3 or sf5 if it helps.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Savior is the only true savior.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

anothergod posted:

Is anyone here going to check out Combo Breaker next weekend? This is the first time I'm going to a big video game tournament, and I'm kinda excited and unsure of what to expect. I'm not competing, but we applied to show our game at their indie cade, so I'll be there aaalll weekend. Any tips/tricks/etc to have fun and/or just be **cool** would be appreciated.
Even if you're not competing you can roll up to any of the setups that aren't being used for a tournament right that moment and ask to get next. Try to play lots of games and make some new friends :) Unlike most tournaments, the venue at Combo Breaker is open 24/7 (Combo Breaker rules) so whenever you're freed from your indie game responsibilities there will be casuals.

Make sure you shower. This is always a good idea but at Combo Breaker they will actually kick you out if you smell too bad. (Combo Breaker rules)

I'll be there, I'll try to swing by the indie games when I have time.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Kids don't shower? Competitive advantage gone too far.

Thanks for the tip about free plays. I'm generally super chill and not pushy about getting in on games so I wouldn't have asked to get next w/o getting on a bracket. I'm p stoked to try some fight mans there. I missed out on all the cool stuff at Midwest Gaming Classic...,

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Edit: Oops. Totally messed that up and butt posted. Here's some pseudo content regarding our game Super Combat Jr 2:

1) Combat Junior was a GLobal Game Jam game this year. It was not exactly good but had the same aesthetic. It also had really, really fun pacing which we've insisted on keeping for this version.

2) We're equally inspired by games like Smash Brothers and Hotline Miami as much as Towerfall, Zelda, and Street Fighter.

3) The attack/block/throw Rock Paper Scissors game is replaced with a slow long, fast short, and wide arching game. E.g swords beat spears beat axes beat swords. Obviously it's not as simple as that and maneuvering is huge. There are also weapons like the bomb that act like this game's throw and items like shields which mess up some systems. Shields actually are best vs long range and long range is treated like free damage opportunities for sneaky people, but they have to work for it and/or do it in multi-player fights.

4) We're planning on adding a ton more items. More modifiers/mutators like potions, weird weapons like ball & chain hammers, movement options, etc. I don't think we're doing in-arena pickups like Smash, but we want stage hazards and weird stage activities for some places.

5) We're going to roll out two more arenas for Combo Breaker. One will be more wide open and the other will be tighter.

Butts

anothergod fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 20, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

anothergod posted:

Is anyone here going to check out Combo Breaker next weekend? This is the first time I'm going to a big video game tournament, and I'm kinda excited and unsure of what to expect. I'm not competing, but we applied to show our game at their indie cade, so I'll be there aaalll weekend. Any tips/tricks/etc to have fun and/or just be **cool** would be appreciated.

I'm going with a few friends, only entered SF5 and Mystery Game, I'm mostly going to be dicking around playing casuals all weekend.

My advice is play as many games and meet as many people as possible. As bad as they can seem online, FGC people are generally cool IRL.

What's your game? I'll make sure to check it out.

E: oops read the above post that says what your game is.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kof 14 demo build live at stunfest https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Saoshyant posted:

Fuuuuuuck, gonna be a long summer wait.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Saoshyant posted:

Looks really great.
Although I'm a little worried about how much damage max mode combos do for only 1 meter, but at least it won't be 40-second combos like in KOF 13.

How anyone could want to play SF5 about seeing this game in action is beyond me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Max combos should do like 80% of a health bar

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

That KoF14 hype vid makes the game look fun and fast. I hope the game is actually fun and fast.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that power stone clone game last fight is out on pc and has a gb quicklook. seems like a pretty decent arena fighter.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That KoF14 hype vid makes the game look fun and fast. I hope the game is actually fun and fast.

i just hope it has loving less that 6-8 frames of input lag, jesus loving christ

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Buhbuhj posted:

I got it. I actually managed to get five ranked matches in, all against the same guy, doing a nearby region search with 2+ connection (I guess 3 is the highest, and I'm east coast US). I'm not sure just how far away they were, but all the matches except the last one played pretty smoothly. The last one only had several seconds near the beginning where the lag was noticeable, then things settled down. If you're not familiar with how Koihime handles lag, it's the same as on PS3/4. There's no warping or bad input delay, it's more like everything slows down. Get enough lag and it's like the match is played in slow motion, which is pretty funny because then you can react to everything in time. Anyway, I went 3-2 in those five close matches, he knew what he was doing.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I bought Koihime and played it for 2 hours or so, it's a lot of fun and surprisingly easy to pick up. Is there a primer for system mechanics or character overviews or anything around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mintergalactic posted:

I bought Koihime and played it for 2 hours or so, it's a lot of fun and surprisingly easy to pick up. Is there a primer for system mechanics or character overviews or anything around?

mizuumi and failing that tweet hellabrett