Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
They would've had to have Liz turning to the camera and winking while being stuffed into the body bag to make it anymore obvious that she wasn't actually dead.

I can't wait until next season when we find out that Kirk is in fact not Liz's father and Red deflects her questions by sending her after the blacklister of the week. Hopefully something fun like an evil marine biologist who turns dolphins into assassins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm disappointed personally. This show was much better when it wasn't 100% Keen Family drama. For two full seasons, every episode has been about who is gonna kill Tom and Liz this week. Plus, the way the Colombian hit man tracked Tom was the dumbest loving plot device ever. But I do love Red and hopefully the show will get back to actually destroying bad guys instead of destroying the Keen family.

Personal observation, when TV dramas turn to focusing 100% on the lives of the characters instead of the job they do, it's usually the end of the line for the show. Crime dramas especially. When every week becomes a soap opera about the personal lives of the cast instead of fighting crime, the show is usually done for.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
lmao the writers and producers were so non-committal about their :master: that we all instantly predicted to a tee that they put Megan Boone's name in the opening credit crawl. Like they just couldn't wait and were worried people needed her back as soon as possible.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Cless Alvein posted:

If they figure it out maybe they'll tell NBC!

hahaha my bad. I'm not sure why I thought it was CBS.

MY OUTRAGE STANDS, HOWEVER!

radical meme posted:

This show was much better when it wasn't 100% Keen Family drama. For two full seasons, every episode has been about who is gonna kill Tom and Liz this week.

Seriously. I don't mind some non-Red scenes, fine, but let's remember what the draw of the show is. I wonder if the writers honestly think we give a poo poo about the family bullshit. Like they have a board in the writers room and it lists all the plots they want to hit this season and only one of those plots is "Reddington Doing Horrible poo poo To Horrible People(tm)" and there is a strange jump in the ratings for the episodes that feature a lot of that, but nobody there can quiiiite figure out why. So here is some more useless Tom bullshit where he for instance.. I dunno, shops for a phone or something. "People," the writers are sure, "will want to know what brand of phone Tom buys, and what apps he uses!"

I think Tom is the mary sue insert for the producer or something. There is no other way to explain why such a useless character is in so many episodes.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 21, 2016

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Gawain The Blind posted:

hahaha my bad. I'm not sure why I thought it was CBS.

MY OUTRAGE STANDS, HOWEVER!

Seriously. I don't mind some non-Red scenes, fine, but let's remember what the draw of the show is. I wonder if the writers honestly think we give a poo poo about the family bullshit. Like they have a board in the writers room and it lists all the plots they want to hit this season and only one of those plots is "Reddington Doing Horrible poo poo To Horrible People(tm)" and there is a strange jump in the ratings for the episodes that feature a lot of that, but nobody there can quiiiite figure out why. So here is some more useless Tom bullshit where he for instance.. I dunno, shops for a phone or something. "People," the writers are sure, "will want to know what brand of phone Tom buys, and what apps he uses!"

I think Tom is the mary sue insert for the producer or something. There is no other way to explain why such a useless character is in so many episodes.

This is pretty much it. I come for the Spader power hour get saddle with lame rear end tom or liz bullshit. You think they would have this figured out. They have one draw just stick to it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I . . . am I goddamn idiot and didn't actually see that coming :downs:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hey, I like Tom when he's actually killing bad people and not being all domestic. If they'd only go back to that the show would be fine.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheRationalRedditor posted:

lmao the writers and producers were so non-committal about their :master: that we all instantly predicted to a tee that they put Megan Boone's name in the opening credit crawl. Like they just couldn't wait and were worried people needed her back as soon as possible.

That's more of a SAG requirement, and has been an issue with TV shows for a long time when you have surprise appearances in an episode. That said, they could just pay the fine and not credit her per her contract to really keep it a surprise.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Octy posted:

Hey, I like Tom when he's actually killing bad people and not being all domestic. If they'd only go back to that the show would be fine.

Somehow I just know the spin-off is going to be a better show, but no one will watch it because...hey...no Spader. =/

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Somehow I just know the spin-off is going to be a better show, but no one will watch it because...hey...no Spader. =/

No Spader means not better.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

No Spader means not better.

The personnel working for Scottie - just from that one little peek we got in the prior episode - have more chemistry than anyone on this show does, and that's without us knowing who is screwing whom.

Also, the offshoot show is called The Blacklist: Redemption. Lizzy might die yet!

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 21, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Thing is, it's hard to imagine a scenario where Liz is alive and working with Red/the FBI and Tom still decides to leave her and Agnes behind to go off and work for a shady security firm, and especially one in which Liz rarely or never appears in his life. I really don't know how they're going to set it up.

Her being dead at least allowed for the whole "Tom is lost and bitter about Liz's death, so he takes Scottie up on her offer and tries to find answers about it/learn about his true past." The baby problem is still there, but at least he's not just walking away from his intact family that way.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Greataval posted:

This is pretty much it. I come for the Spader power hour get saddle with lame rear end tom or liz bullshit. You think they would have this figured out. They have one draw just stick to it.

I think the problem is that writers/producers seem to think that unless you write a bunch of relationship drama into your shows, women won't watch. You know, because women only care about love and stuff.

The show to me set up the "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" payoff with Tom and Liz and we still aren't there yet and have had to go through way too many episodes of Liz crying and Tom trying to show her he's giving up the life. The show would be much better if she'd actually lost the baby at some point and just took Tom back a million years ago and had him join the team.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Astro7x posted:

That's more of a SAG requirement, and has been an issue with TV shows for a long time when you have surprise appearances in an episode. That said, they could just pay the fine and not credit her per her contract to really keep it a surprise.
I can't remember offhand but I've definitely seen multiple shows that have bypassed this for the purposes of a surprise reveal, where they seem to get some kind of exemption and shuttle a feature for the actor to the end credits.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I still like my dream version of the show where Liz was dead for real and Tom left forever, but I also wasn't terribly surprised that this happened either. That said I spent the rest of the episode pondering the "okay but how is Tom still leaving to have weird gross sexual tension with his possible mother on that other show" problem, and realized that the funniest possible thing to have happen at this point is that, after all that and her dumb dramatic return, someone will just shoot her in the head. :toot:

I don't want Kaplan to die though but she probably will.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Her being dead at least allowed for the whole "Tom is lost and bitter about Liz's death, so he takes Scottie up on her offer and tries to find answers about it/learn about his true past." The baby problem is still there, but at least he's not just walking away from his intact family that way.

I think they were setting up his 'walking away' while Agnes was watching him about to break a guy's neck.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I think the problem is that writers/producers seem to think that unless you write a bunch of relationship drama into your shows, women won't watch. You know, because women only care about love and stuff.

The show to me set up the "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" payoff with Tom and Liz and we still aren't there yet and have had to go through way too many episodes of Liz crying and Tom trying to show her he's giving up the life. The show would be much better if she'd actually lost the baby at some point and just took Tom back a million years ago and had him join the team.

The relationship drama doesn't add any anything to the show not because relationship drama is inherently bad but because the writers suck and Tom and Liz have no chemistry at all.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I can't remember offhand but I've definitely seen multiple shows that have bypassed this for the purposes of a surprise reveal, where they seem to get some kind of exemption and shuttle a feature for the actor to the end credits.

Yeah, you can pay the fee, which is like a few thousand dollars.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ShakeZula posted:

Thing is, it's hard to imagine a scenario where Liz is alive and working with Red/the FBI and Tom still decides to leave her and Agnes behind to go off and work for a shady security firm, and especially one in which Liz rarely or never appears in his life. I really don't know how they're going to set it up.

I don't read TV news so I didn't even know about a spinoff but heh, why not have that show with Spader as the kindly grandfather keeping the kid during the day while Liz and Tom fight the bad guys; Spader could be like bodyguard granddad for baby Agnes. Walks in the park, Spader pushing a stroller with machine guns that pop out of the front, Dembe and gray haired ponytail guy, one out front on point, the other watching the back. Sounds perfect.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also was I imagining things or did the writers alternate between referring to Keanebaby as Agatha and Agnes?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
:psyboom: :ohdear: :vince: :cripes:

This show is so goddamn terrible. I can't believe they wrote in faking a death.

Whoever changed the thread's tag got it right.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I just want this show to go all out batshit insane Scandal style and have it end up being about Red stopping an alien invasion or unmasking the lizard people living amongst us.

Yes this show is terrible but Spader just carries it through into something watchable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kegslayer posted:

I just want this show to go all out batshit insane Scandal style and have it end up being about Red stopping an alien invasion or unmasking the lizard people living amongst us.

Yes this show is terrible but Spader just carries it through into something watchable.

No, they can't go TOO unrealistic or Spader might start to suspect he's actually on a TV show and not just being paid to randomly come up with stories in front of a camera.

Fact - Age of Ultron was made using only leftover cut speeches from The Blacklist.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would believe that. And all of his press appearances were Red having to step back into his old James Spader cover identity.

So terrible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Whoever changed the thread's tag got it right.

I'm fairly certain I set it to stupid right from the start. It is the most fitting tag.

(unless I accidentally forgot to pick a tag, but either way, it was always A Bad Tag)

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

The best part of this season were the episodes without LIz. Okay that's a lie, but honestly I hope they go back to more actual blacklist takedowns and Tom doing crazy stuff. Instead of family drama.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Actually, the episodes without Liz were pretty unbearable because the focus of those episodes was pretty exclusively on Liz with everyone pretending to be sad about her absence.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I don't hate Liz. I think Megan Boone is a fine actress, especially with what she's given. The problem is, and this is the case for virtually every "OMG DANGER!" show on Network television, that they don't know what the gently caress to do with her.

Spader is easy. For all of his crazy monologues and caring/not caring about people, he's a rather two-dimensional character. Show up, keep secret, monologue, shoot somebody, be a prick to FBI, be nice to FBI, shoot someone. And it's not that Liz is a very deep three-dimensional character, but once they had her on the run after shooting the attorney general, there was practically nothing left for her. She was interesting as the only person Red would talk to in the FBI, and the mystery as to why was somewhat interesting as well (it's really wearing thin now). But once they had her heel turn, then face turn back, many in the viewing audience stopped caring. When the idea was faintly floated that she was going "gently caress the FBI, let's go take out the list, Red" it got a little intriguing. But nope. Right back to square one. Including the husband, and the baby.

There's no real change or evolution on this show, and the false danger of everyone wanting to kill/capture Liz and nothing loving happening just makes the show very dull (save for Spader).

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Atreiden posted:

The best part of this season were the episodes without LIz. Okay that's a lie, but honestly I hope they go back to more actual blacklist takedowns and Tom doing crazy stuff. Instead of family drama.

The best part about those episodes was still seeing her Boone's name come up every time in the opening credits.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I finally got around to watching the last few episodes of the season, and in the scene where Spader is saying to Kaplan how he would've named everyone else on the planet before her as someone who might betray him, all I could picture was Dembe being to the side just out of frame giving him a "Really? I'm right here!" kind of look.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Roflex posted:

That'll be the finale.

"Liz, we're going to borrow a space shuttle."
"I thought NASA decommissioned them all."
"I didn't say it was a NASA shuttle. The cabal's had one in cold storage off the coast of cuba for years."
Good call.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This show's back on Thursday. Yay? No idea when the spinoff is airing, haven't been able to find any info on it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is there a new thread yet? I want to die.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My husband watched some dumb "MAKING OF THE BLACKLIST" thing they had on last week. They had the producers going on about how much people loved the show and how they loved the realistic CGI and then I walked out because nope

I can make a new thread later today or tomrorow, but I'm warning you, there will be as much effort put into it as this one. Which quite frankly is all the show deserves.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It had a single thread for Seasons 1-2, and you don't even need to change the title of this one. I was going to put together an effort OP but :effort:. also rocket league

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey if Sons of Anarchy could go like five seasons with one thread the Blacklist certainly can too!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Alright deal we stick with this thread.

I updated the OP accordingly.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 21, 2016

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I finished the third season yesterday. The plan to hide Liz, Tom, and the baby was stupid since even if being around Red put them in danger, he was the only person who had the resources to protect them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HookShot posted:

Alright deal we stick with this thread.

I updated the OP accordingly.

The OP this thread deserves 10/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
W/e I never really understood the "time to blow up the old thread every season" thing anyways. It's not like this show is some kind of cultural touchstone or anything. More like, "The James Spader Scenery-Chewing Hour".

• Locked thread