Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm just picturing a sword person running in a big circle with the pike person rotating in place until they fall over from vertigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I'm just picturing a sword person running in a big circle with the pike person rotating in place until they fall over from vertigo.

pike against rodelero: he'll push the pike aside with the shield and stab you
pike and dude with sword against rodelero: swordsman stands in front of you and you level the pike over his shoulder. then you use the pike to monopolize the rodelero's attention, and the dude with sword can run ahead and stab him. every time the rodelero's about to attack the swordsman, hit him in the head or at least make him move the shield.

pike against swordsman: might be a draw, will probably end up with you dropping the pike and then it's a swordfight

sword against halberd: halberdier wins, sorry

edit: pikes work well with a dude with a shorter weapon in front of them, or another pike person beside them. two pikemen standing side-by-side could probably also beat a rodelero or a halberdier.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 17, 2016

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I ended someone rightly last night.

We were using gekken swords, and they're kinda messed up since the ACL guys keep bashing each other with them. I parried, the pommel came off in my hand, and I immediately threw it at my opponent. Knocked off his glasses and moved in for a strike while he was confused.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:staredog:

I landed a really sweet stop kick in my freeplay partner's stomach today, but forgot to actually follow it up.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Crazy Achmed posted:

At risk of reigniting the SCA vs HEMA flamewar, SCA sounds interesting but seems like it could really benefit from stricter rules and ditching the honour system for something like kendo reffing.

On the subject of having to hit people hard enough to score a point, has anyone heard anything more about the proposal to bring back accelerometers to sabre? I haven't really been keeping up with that stuff, but I did have a go at the new starting positions (back foot on the en garde line) a couple of weeks back. poo poo is weird being so close to the other person, I don't think it's necessarily worse, but I don't see how it's supposed to significantly reduce simultaneous attacks from the get-go. Instead of being a step-lunge away from your opponent you're now just a lunge away - surely this would just change the "both fencers step-lunge at each other and the ref calls simultaneous" to "both fencers lunge at each other and the ref calls simultaneous"?
Someone who actually knows poo poo about sabre please explain this one to me.

Also, I went to see Iron Maiden not long ago, Dickinson is still on form and making full use of those lunge muscles/flexibility.

I think the idea is that it makes the call simpler and less controversial; it's easier for the ref to make a call about someone not off the line quick enough than to call someone for a small "mistake" in their preparation. Thus makes the "go for simul, hope for an error" tactic less appealing. I suppose it could also make slow/no attacks off the line more viable since you won't be conceding an advance or two of momentum to your opponent.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

I think the idea is that it makes the call simpler and less controversial; it's easier for the ref to make a call about someone not off the line quick enough than to call someone for a small "mistake" in their preparation. Thus makes the "go for simul, hope for an error" tactic less appealing. I suppose it could also make slow/no attacks off the line more viable since you won't be conceding an advance or two of momentum to your opponent.
As a mediocre ref, it was a ton easier to call simuls off the line like this instead of at the normal en garde lines, and I saw fewer attempts to do so, too.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I probably shouldn't couch it so much as a ref thing. With as tightly as saber is called, it's so easy to make an error in preparation off the line in an advance lunge, which gives rise to the tactic of simuling until one of you makes a mistake or gives up. I'm going to attack you and crush you, because if you hesitate I win, and if you parry me I'm going to lock you out with the remise. But it's harder to make a mistake off the line when it's just a lunge (and as a side effect, the mistakes you make stand out more), so it's harder to milk simul mistakes for points.

Also remember that this is coming with an increase in the lockout times, which should make parrying more powerful, also disincentivizing the fright train attack.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I don't like the idea of introducing technology to working, it might create a more centralised system, which then gives rules people could start to game, which I think gets away from the point.

I had an experience sparring with a Polish sabreist last night. That was frightening, but I did finally see why curved swords are useful. My knee doesn't like it though.

Lots and lots of very fast spinning and I just hold my sword out and try to block and riposte. Except he doesn't block my riposte, because he doesn't recognise it as an attack and we double hit. I think that we were both too aggressive and not analysing each other, that's something I think could improve most people's fencing.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh man, I might have to actually learn more sabre beyond the freight train attack, that's currently pretty much my only move.

Hazzard posted:

I don't like the idea of introducing technology to working, it might create a more centralised system, which then gives rules people could start to game, which I think gets away from the point.
Let's avoid this argument, but I'm curious as to what you mean by a "more centralised system". For reference I'm a sport fencer and was talking about olympic sabre rules.

Hazzard posted:

Lots and lots of very fast spinning and I just hold my sword out and try to block and riposte. Except he doesn't block my riposte, because he doesn't recognise it as an attack and we double hit. I think that we were both too aggressive and not analysing each other, that's something I think could improve most people's fencing.

You're right there, but if you are getting a successful parry-rpioste then it doesn't sound like your problem. If he's not recognising that your riposte has right of way, then just keep on winning until he realises he needs to adjust his tactics. The way I always explain priority to people is that if you're being threatened and there's an attack coming your way, it's stupid from a survival point of view to try and counter instead of defending yourself. Unless the attacker misses/you get a stop cut in time, in which case they hosed up and you deserve the point.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh man, I might have to actually learn more sabre beyond the freight train attack, that's currently pretty much my only move.

One of my favorite things to do as a foilist is to occasionally don the hero's weapon and blow the minds of the kids that know no other.

:stare: What was that thing you were doing?

:colbert: Parrying?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I fought a real sabreur today, this doesn't work if you're slow and terrible at sabre :(
I need to work on luring my opponent into making the attack, then getting the hell out of dodge distance. This would help my foil a hell of a lot, too.

Actually parrying is surprisingly effective in epee, though. At least until they figure me out. I was at a drum and bass gig a while ago and this guy walked up to me and poked me in the chest, so I did a counter-sixte without thinking. Apparently he thought i was about to kung-fu him or something, but gently caress if i know why he was poking me in the first place. :shrug:

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

:darksouls:

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
It can help to have a neutral observer when you get a lot of 2 light hits, especially with saber. A lot of the time what you perceive to be an "immediate" riposte will look delayed to a ref, or will look like a beat attack by the other guy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here's what we all should strive towards:

https://vimeo.com/1937576

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice collection of points from last years All Japan Police Taikai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dsnEe54TA0

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So stabbing is not a thing in Kendo?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dsnEe54TA0&t=335s

Only to the throat and it's pretty hard (and high risk) to pull off.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

Here's what we all should strive towards:

https://vimeo.com/1937576

So, basically foil whilst drunk? I approve.

The other thing I need to strive towards is remembering to move my feet and not just lock up and rely on bladework. Multitasking is hard :(

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Crazy Achmed posted:

Actually parrying is surprisingly effective in epee, though.

??????????????????????

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

So, basically foil whilst drunk? I approve.

The other thing I need to strive towards is remembering to move my feet and not just lock up and rely on bladework. Multitasking is hard :(

What do you try to do with your legs? I need to get into the habit or pulling my front foot back to put both heels together.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

curious lump posted:

??????????????????????

Heinzer would love to have a chat with you!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

This is essentially a distance problem. Digging in and taking the parry isn't a problem in itself, the problem is that you're letting your opponent get close enough so that when they attack all you can do is panic parry and hope that they screw up. Keep the distance longer from the start, and do lots and lots of drills where parrying isn't an option so you have to beat the attack by distance alone. One drill that comes to mind (and there are many) is the advance lunge drill: two fencers, each with a weapon (bonus points for having pool noodles), no parrying, and you can only hit with an advance lunge. Repeat until your legs fall off then bump it up to double advance lunge.

Also make sure that you keep your weight over your legs and your knees bent. If your hips or your balance is getting off, then it's going to seriously hamper your ability to get away in the first place.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

This is essentially a distance problem. Digging in and taking the parry isn't a problem in itself, the problem is that you're letting your opponent get close enough so that when they attack all you can do is panic parry and hope that they screw up. Keep the distance longer from the start, and do lots and lots of drills where parrying isn't an option so you have to beat the attack by distance alone. One drill that comes to mind (and there are many) is the advance lunge drill: two fencers, each with a weapon (bonus points for having pool noodles), no parrying, and you can only hit with an advance lunge. Repeat until your legs fall off then bump it up to double advance lunge.

Also make sure that you keep your weight over your legs and your knees bent. If your hips or your balance is getting off, then it's going to seriously hamper your ability to get away in the first place.
This will also teach you that going as fast as you can forward on the advance lunge won't do poo poo. You need to vary your timing to catch anyone.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Good advice, thanks. What I tend to do is forget to move once it gets to the stage where I need to counter-parry. Like I'll stay in a lunge when I should have really recovered/jumped back/redoubled etc. Some of it is straight up laziness, some of it is thinking too much about what my arm/weapon is doing and neglecting to realise i can use my feet too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm going to Swordfish this year. Any of you gonna be in that area?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'll probably go too. Missed out on the longsword tourney though :(

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Interesting saber drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMNKLFn41IU

This is cavalry training so it's nothing like I have ever drilled before.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm going to Swordfish this year. Any of you gonna be in that area?
The website says the tournament's for good fencers only so I'm going to pass.

I'm unreasonably salty about the whole thing, but I would sure like a beginners' tournament in the Nordics in the fall.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

he's parrying tho

e:

Siivola posted:

The website says the tournament's for good fencers only so I'm going to pass.

I'm unreasonably salty about the whole thing, but I would sure like a beginners' tournament in the Nordics in the fall.

you'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than the people at swordfish

e2: I'm just so baffled at someone saying that parrying is a good idea. Imagine a thread for foot ball enthusiasts where one day someone just exclaims "Hold on a moment, running with the football is a GOOD IDEA"

curious lump fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 4, 2016

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
A lot of fencers (particularly in epee) get by just fine by stop-thrusting and being really loving tall.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
That sounds like really lovely technique that will get punished when they go up against a better fencer

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I am the wishy-washiest. I took a short course on the smallsword a couple of years ago and the period is neat enough, so I started thinking it'd be cool to revisit it. Problem is, our teacher moved to England and I don't think there's anyone left in the entire country who really knows their Angelo. So now I'm considering...

Learning foil. From sport fencers. :gonk:

I mean, it's just a practice tool for the real thing anyway, right? :v:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

At least we're not epeeists!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

I am the wishy-washiest. I took a short course on the smallsword a couple of years ago and the period is neat enough, so I started thinking it'd be cool to revisit it. Problem is, our teacher moved to England and I don't think there's anyone left in the entire country who really knows their Angelo. So now I'm considering...

It's cool and good and you don't have to worry about hurting people so you can go at it fully.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This is mainly a kendo question but I imagine it applies to fencing, too: outside of practice, do you have to do any exercises to compensate for your fencing posture? Like in kendo, there's a lot of standing on the ball of one foot while standing normally on the other foot, and it makes me wonder if I'm going to end up like Trogdor and have one beefy calf.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cephas posted:

This is mainly a kendo question but I imagine it applies to fencing, too: outside of practice, do you have to do any exercises to compensate for your fencing posture? Like in kendo, there's a lot of standing on the ball of one foot while standing normally on the other foot, and it makes me wonder if I'm going to end up like Trogdor and have one beefy calf.

Well, you shouldn't be completely flat on the front foot; While the heel may be touching the ground, the main pressure should also be on the ball of the front foot.
I know some teachers who insist of people also keeping the front heel up, in order to make sure that you use the front foot correctly.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Cephas posted:

Unless you fence a lot, just going to the gym will sort you out for the most part. Here's a fun one, though: hold your hands out, fingers straight and palms down, with your thumbs pressed in so that whatever that muscle is that you use to grip stuff bulges up. Mine are pretty even as I don't fence a ton, but I've seen a few people with scary right hands.

Re parrying in epee, I'm no epeeist, I just enjoy it a lot. Also my point control is terrible and it's so much easier for me to try and bind the blade then go for the bicep/shoulder.

Siivola posted:

I guess. if you can deal with the target and priority rules without getting the rage, then there are probably still some transferrable skills. Theoretically, if you do stuff properly then you should be able to impale people without getting hit yourself - even sport fencers love getting single-light points. Buy a blade that's not a vniti or flickmaster, go heavy on the binds and opposition, etc. and you should have some fun.
Consider also fencing epee. Your opponent might get a point for grazing your arm just before you hit them square in the chest, but if it happened this way because you were reckless and didn't deal with the counterattack then you done hosed up.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 6, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm actually curious of the foil precisely because of the target and priority rules, because they sound like stuff that would build good habits – namely, respecting the opponent's blade and targeting the properly vital bits. I'm a bit less interested in épée, because while it's actually pretty neat to watch as a sport, I've understood it simulates duels to first blood and I'm not really into those. I've seen a couple of historical videos and... Dueling like that is not very sexy, y'know?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Siivola posted:

I'm actually curious of the foil precisely because of the target and priority rules, because they sound like stuff that would build good habits – namely, respecting the opponent's blade and targeting the properly vital bits. I'm a bit less interested in épée, because while it's actually pretty neat to watch as a sport, I've understood it simulates duels to first blood and I'm not really into those. I've seen a couple of historical videos and... Dueling like that is not very sexy, y'know?

If I had a dollar for every time I got a point while being hit by my opponent... I wouldn't be rich but I'd have a nice lunch money fund. If you try to fence foil without ever getting hit and only hitting killing blows, you're going to be a very frustrated foil fencer.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well if you got the point it's the other guy's fault for not parrying, innit? :v:

I think a bit of the reason I'm suddenly looking into sport fencing is, the historical side is super bothered about double hits and as a certified Bad Fencer I'm already getting really frustrated about it. People make a huge fuss about being 100% safe at all times and I'm standing there sweating in my kit thinking "you're trying to lop off my head, being in the same loving building is fundamentally unsafe". And simultaneously these same people insist that you should go for the head and the torso and really commit to attacks, because otherwise it all devolves into this tippy-tappy poo poo. At my level it just feels like two completely contradictory requirements, and I would honestly welcome a sparring ruleset where I don't have to fence like I'm trying to murder an armed drunkard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Siivola posted:

At my level it just feels like two completely contradictory requirements
But thats the interesting part? :confused:

Siivola posted:

where I don't have to fence like I'm trying to murder an armed drunkard.
Well, that too.