Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mirificus posted:

The essence of Wesha

Edit: Yes, it's real.

Nice mullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

orcinus posted:

Burgal Turds, Burgal Turds,
Does whatever a Burglar can,
Meltdowns of any size,
Catching everyone by surprize.

Look out! *PAAAAARP*
Here comes the Redux maaaan!

:golfclap:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have a million dollars please lycan (heh) me to Elon Musk or Bill Gates unironically.

Lol

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Decrepus posted:

I have a million dollars please lycan (heh) me to Elon Musk or Bill Gates unironically.

haha

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I think this game might be a bit poo poo.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile at CIG.

https://twitter.com/RayRoocroftCIG/status/733773565410037760

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RayRoocroftCIG/status/733679727207174144

Further office visits have been cancelled after Sandi saw that guys chin.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is that supposed to be a beard or did he just dunk his double chin in some fudge?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Have a fantastic weekend, my pikeys!

http://www.epcivic.com/index.php?/topic/31-ma-best-mate-pikey-bhoys-old-type-r/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB6TUHscJsk

From Reddit

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/RayRoocroftCIG/status/733679727207174144

Further office visits have been cancelled after Sandi saw that guys chin.

That guys twitter channel is just sadness defined. Yes, I get that he's getting payed to shill shill shill, but at some point lying out of your rear end 24/7 has gotta start wearing on your soul if you're a normal human being.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Star Citizen uses the same animation/graphic for when you hit another player with you bullets as COD

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

RattiRatto posted:

i think we should actually reflect on this, as we got kind of used to it but it's still insane.
At least that's what happened to me. I kind of got used to the fact that there are megawhales. But then i don't think about it anymore, i forget, and one or two months later i realize it again, and it makes me shaking everytime
Let me say it again just make it clear:

There are supposedly 1000 people who decided to pay at least 1000$ for a virtual asset which doesn't exists. And 200 who went for 10000$. This is outside any acceptable level, this is scientology kind of money.

It's interesting to reflect on how the human brain works.
NO ONE, and i say no one, would have ever thrown 10000$ to a finished game, no matter how perfect it is. No actual flyable shiny ships which actually play would ever raised that much, no matter how close to my dreams they are. That's because, as everything out there, perfection is always in someone's mind, but not in the actual thing in front of your eyes.
The fact that is actually not there makes people believe. And the believe is always stronger than the fact

I agree with this and would like to add something else.

Consider how bonkers the Gaming Press went about Horse Armor a decade ago. Here's a Kotaku story that got 67K hits, reflecting on Horse Armor on the 10 year anniversary of it's release:

quote:

"Never Forget Your Horse Armor

Ten years ago today Bethesda defined bad downloadable content with two dollars and fifty cents’ worth of horse barding.

Downloadable content was a relatively new thing back in 2006 when my favorite Elder Scrolls game was released, and players and publishers alike were still getting a feel for what worked and what did not work. Then came Oblivion’s Horse Armor DLC, blazing a trail of badness for all to see.

Players could spend $2.50 worth of Xbox Live points to deliver decorative armor for their mount to an NPC in virtual Tamriel. The first set was free, subsequent sets cost 500 in-game gold.

Bethesda quickly discovered that people did not think $2.50 was a fair price for a cosmetic item that no one else but the player could enjoy. Were it an online game such an item might act as a sign of prestige. “I had $2.50 laying about,” it would say. But Oblivion is an offline game, and the whole affair was just silly.

Bethesda marketing and PR VP was on top of the situation, issuing a statement the day after Horse Armor’s release (via Engadget).

“We tried to find a spot for [the download] that fit with what other things were out there. A Theme costs 150 points. The Kameo thing was 200. We’re trying to find the right spot that fits... We’re not even a day into this right now. We’ve got a couple more [downloads] we’re working on finishing... We want to put some different things out there and find out what folks want and what they don’t want. These are optional things, not requirements, so if you don’t want to get them you don’t have to.”

The lesson Horse Armor provides is a simple one: some DLC is dumb and overpriced.

Three years after its release Bethesda celebrated April Fool’s Day with a special sale on Xbox 360 downloadable Oblivion content. Everything was half-off except for one thing. They bumped the price of Horse Armor to $5.00."

TL:DR "Overpriced DLC is stupid! Amirite? :lol:"

The thing is-- if you paid $2.50, you could download your Horse Armor. It was a tangible DLC asset. For all the hell Pete Hines got-- and man, did he ever-- they were selling something they could deliver to the player.

And yet-- here we are, 5 years into this thing, and with rare exception, the normalization of CIG's outrageous business model-- selling IOUs for DLCs is no big deal at all. The $2500 Javelin? It doesn't even come with weapons-- it was decommission for active military service, therefore after buying it for literally 1000x the price of Oblivion's Horse Armor, you're still going to have to cough up some dough.(Plus you'll need to hire 16 crew members to fly it. Alone. In your very own instance...)

And the Gaming Press, those stalwart watchdogs of Industry, are happy to write a thousand articles about how stupid $2.50 Horse Armor was -- and get their 67K hits -- at the very same time they ignore the very late and clearly troubled game studio selling promises to deliver $2500 ships without weapons.

Just another day in the Verse of Chris and Sandi's creation.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 31, 2016

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Chris never fails to inspire confidence

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

G0RF posted:

Just so there's no real confusion for any casual visitors here... (I assume you know this Risc but since the paywall is down and we do get occasional outside visitors...)

The Facebook shot quoted above is a satirical retouch. Photoshop retouches of official CIG communications is a recurring satirical gag in this thread -- and a legacy more broadly of Mr.Lowtax's ancient humor website.

First, someone pastes in an official CIG tweet, RSI letter from the chairman, FB update, or what have you in the thread. Then others modify it, usually to make a satiric point. Both the gameplay screenshot on that monitor and the Facebook wall update text are modified.

What Sandi is really doing - besides taking her self-declared "first vacation" since CIG started - is unknown to us. We know it's not her first since she's tweeted and Facebooked other vacation photos. Nobody even cares if she takes vacations but why does she act like she hasn't sent out other vacation pics via those same channels? Ski trips with Chris or pics of her on a yacht in Monaco or whatever? It's just so :lol:

i knew the photo was shopped, i just did not expect the text to be too. I actually think she would tweet poo poo like that because she does not care what the spergs think.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Danknificent posted:

Chris never fails to inspire confidence

Well he is a confidence man

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Risc1911 posted:

i knew the photo was shopped, i just did not expect the text to be too. I actually think she would tweet poo poo like that because she does not care what the spergs think.

Yeah -- I had to add some additional joke because I figured AP or Daztek would be uploading that same retouch any minute!

And yeah, she doth not give a crap what backers think. She's a better class of person with a higher calling!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

haha, no way.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

It's still amazing to me that 900 years in the future, people are still using what look pretty much like Heckler and Koch G36 assault rifles. The lack of imagination that's gone into this game is incredible. 1930s sci-fi serial rayguns would be an improvement on this half-assed tosh.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wait so is sandi in fact going overseas to Moviefilm

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

It's still amazing to me that 900 years in the future, people are still using what look pretty much like Heckler and Koch G36 assault rifles. The lack of imagination that's gone into this game is incredible. 1930s sci-fi serial rayguns would be an improvement on this half-assed tosh.

Chris' vision is Anachro-Futurist.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Daztek fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 21, 2016

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

G0RF posted:

And yet-- here we are, 5 years into this thing, and with rare exception, the normalization of CIG's outrageous business model-- selling IOUs for DLCs is no big deal at all. The $2500 Javelin? It doesn't even come with weapons-- it was decommission for active military service, therefore after buying it for literally 1000x the price of Oblivion's Horse Armor, you're still going to have to cough up some dough.(Plus you'll need to hire 16 crew members to fly it. Alone. In your very own instance...)

The funny part is that at least you can see the shiny Horse Armor. You paid 2.5$ and you got the armor. That's why people complained.

Guess, what about the Javelin? There is no Javelin, and there never was. And people are happy this way! I'm sure if it ever comes out(I'm skeptical, but for the sake of the argument) people will be worried and will realize that they really threw 2000$ at a jpeg. At this point I hope it will never come out, and the spergs can keep having awesome dreams about their future shiny spaceship.
Dreams are what make people happy, not reality! That's the first rule of politics

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait so is sandi in fact going overseas to Moviefilm

Nobody knows. She said she's taking her first vacation since they started CIG and also said she's working on a "secret squirrel" project. So maybe she's in "Alvin and the Chipmunks 5: Nuts in Space".

Who knows?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Come to think of it, with it looking like space games are going to be the big thing for a while, I hope some companies explore the history of sci fi. It would be cool to have a 1930s style game full of serious humans saving the world from dastardly aliens, and a 1970s style full of skintight outfits and situations the dashing hero can resolve with a right cross to the villain or a lingering kiss to the villainess.

I could even go for the sort of game Full Burn would fit: a self-aware, cheesy '80s romp with big hair and homoerotic undertones. Just anything other than the unimaginitive shite Croberts regurgitates every time he watches a sci fi flick.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 21, 2016

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Can't be a genuine backer or CIG employee with that belt. :colbert:

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

G0RF posted:

Nobody knows. She said she's taking her first vacation since they started CIG and also said she's working on a "secret squirrel" project. So maybe she's in "Alvin and the Chipmunks 5: Nuts in Space".

Who knows?

I'm sticking to my Monaco guess.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Come to think of it, with it looking like space games are going to be the big thing for a while, I hope some companies explore the history of sci fi. It would be cool to have a 1930s style game full of serious humans saving the world from dastardly aliens, and a 1970s style full of skintight outfits and situations the dashing hero can resolve with a right cross to the villain or a lingering kiss to the villainess.

I could even go for the sort of game Full Burn would fit: a self-aware, cheesy '80s romp with big hair and homoerotic undertones. Just anything other than the unimaginitive shite Croberts regurgitates every time he watches a sci fi flick.

We can only hope that when SyFy comes out with their version of Gateway (rumored to currently be in the works), they will re-release the PC games, without any changes other than the SyFy logo. As a matter of fact, anyone who wants to avoid all spoilers about what takes place in that series should dig up that game and play it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

True...it really needs a Chris Mit Uns buckle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sunswipe posted:

He needs a few more lesnick challenges under his belt.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

sociallyawkwarduk.jpg

Imagine the smell in that room.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

tooterfish posted:

sociallyawkwarduk.jpg

Imagine the smell in that room.

I'm sure CIG is trying to figure it out and bottle the scent of super nerd musk to monetize it.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Ship design brought to you by Ryan Archer?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Was interesting, during the latest RtV they developed a concept and someone said "this is a replica of an ED ship." So back to the pipeline it went.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It looks like a SU25 which makes perfect sense for a spaceship.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

It looks like the pig leader from the Angry Birds movie.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Viscous Soda posted:

God, I always forget how terrible the clothing shop looks. It's like someone took over a utility closet for their yard sale.

From many pages ago but, I gotta say they nailed the look in one respect: it looks exactly like a lovely, half abandoned outlet mall.

I once helped a non-profit open a "sales" center in just such a place.

Everything was filthy and/or worn hard and put away wet. We did the best we could to clean it and make it look nice, but there was no hiding the years of neglect. It was made worse by the fact the place was so empty when we launched.

We all hated working there. It was so depressing. I mean seriously, this gave me flashbacks:

The fidelity is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

FrankieGoes posted:

What a dildo.

It's an ocelot, dude.

• Locked thread