Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User posted:

Jesus did not abolish the law he "fulfilled" it. I have spoken to several theologians about this and it still makes no loving sense, since when does a perfect God alter his perfect law, anyway? He changed his perfect mind?

There's a couple arguments for this. One of the most common is that we got it wrong the first time. Another is that creation, which isn't perfect, changed and that necessitated a different approach. A third that I'm sure exists although I don't recall ever seeing it off-hand is that the change in the law was intended from the beginning. This would work well in combination with the second explanation I mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Unscientific posted:

Hello. I brought you an :effort:

:captainpop:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

The Larch posted:

There's a couple arguments for this. One of the most common is that we got it wrong the first time. Another is that creation, which isn't perfect, changed and that necessitated a different approach. A third that I'm sure exists although I don't recall ever seeing it off-hand is that the change in the law was intended from the beginning. This would work well in combination with the second explanation I mentioned.

God mellowed out after having a kid who became a hippie.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

The Larch posted:

A third that I'm sure exists although I don't recall ever seeing it off-hand is that the change in the law was intended from the beginning. This would work well in combination with the second explanation I mentioned.

Yeah, the law wasn't even first introduced until way after Abraham, and it was specifically for the Jews, which was the people that the Messiah was supposed to come from to open up salvation for the entire world. IE: The Jews were supposed to be a nation of holy people specifically so Jesus (for Christians) could come from them.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense I literally just woke up a few minutes ago.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
But thank you for rushing to your posting station, this could not have waited one moment.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Somebody found a political cartoon from 1916 in the comic strip thread.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Well, given the overall quality of posts for the past few pages I figured it couldn't hurt that much.

E:^^^ Man, I want to find the context for that one.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Beeg posted:

Looks like that elephant got into the :catdrugs:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://adam4d.com/gay-warrior/

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Incredibly oversimplified, but even then this is all to easy to AGC

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

I think I get what he means, people think they've got a bright new idea on how to interpret the Bible without realizing it's something that's been argued and settled hundreds of years ago, but is there any context? What prompted Adam to draw this?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Hello, is this the anger management work group?"

"Yes, welcome, how can we help you today?"

"I'm looking for deliverance."

"Uhhhhhhh"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

albany academy posted:

Incredibly oversimplified, but even then this is all to easy to AGC

I had to re-read it myself because he seems to have forgotten to actually say or imply that being gay was actually bad. I guess he was trying to equate it to being a bloodthirsty murder machine, but he really didn't say that was all that bad in the proper historical context. If anything he made it sound like being a violent killer was an a-okay thing at one point when the local culture said it was cool, therefore being a not-at-all violent and generally peaceful gay dude in a culture that says being gay is cool is totally a-okay!

Or is 4d actually not all that homophobic despite the rest of his repugnant views? I mean, I'm pretty sure he is, but this reads as a pretty gay-friendly comic so I'm confused.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
He's saying that we all have an instinctual drive to do objectively bad things, and at various times culture will shift to accept those bad things as really good but that's wrong and we shouldn't fall for it.

Are we doing best of Adam now? Where's that one where he claims wifely submission is the true unconventional marriage, or where he tells people drawing comparisons between the gay and civil rights movements to throw themselves down the stairs.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 21, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

54.4 crowns posted:

Curios why most of the Bible literalist and Kings James only fuckers are anti-catholic.

They don't understand a lot of Catholic doctrine, they have the same understanding of it I did when I was like 10.

"You mean they say Mary was without sin? But only Jesus was sinless, they're saying Mary is equal to Jesus! Also they pray to the saints, Jesus said only to pray to God, they're saying the saints are like God! On top of that they say that salvation is through works and you have to earn your way to Heaven!"

Gyre posted:

I'm honestly not sure what the scriptural argument against abortion is, because it really never is mentioned. The only part similar is in Leviticus about how if you cause a woman a miscarriage you have to pay a certain number of silver, but that specifically doesn't equate abortion with murder.

Numbers 5 sort of does. If a man suspected his wife cheated on him, he was to take her to the priest and force her to undergo a ceremony where she would have to drink "water of bitterness" and if she was indeed guilty of adultery, then it would cause her womb to discharge and her uterus to drop. If the woman was pregnant at the time, this would probably have killed the fetus, and would qualify as abortion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

"So what you consider "moral" isn't absolute! Different cultures have different beliefs about whether things like Homosexuality and Pillaging are acceptable. Thankfully I have here a set of moral guidelines from a three thousand year old Levantine society that ~MAGICALLY~ aren't derived from "culture" or "community" but by a divine revelation that makes them Objectively True across all time and space!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Alkydere posted:

Or is 4d actually not all that homophobic despite the rest of his repugnant views? I mean, I'm pretty sure he is, but this reads as a pretty gay-friendly comic so I'm confused.

He's super homophobic but in the way where he gets really pissy if you tell him that because he loves the sinner and hates the sin. My personal favorite of his cartoons on the subject is "Here's a person who actively votes for gays to have fewer rights than herself, and another who thinks the Bible doesn't have a place in public schools. Plot twist, the second person is the bigot!" because it has a billion words and he fails to make a single actual point outside of person B having an opinion that actually affects Adam.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'm kind of surprised by how many cartoonists are playing up the "fighting" between Sanders and Clinton, but I probably shouldn't be.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Peanut butter, the atheists' nightmare.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Also Adam4d's cartoon people should focus less on their projection-argument and more on their atrocious posture almost resembling thoracic kyphosis

Job 38:3 posted:

Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

(tangent : thIs sometimes translated by the loosey goosey versions as "stand up straight" but actually literally means to grab your tunic and tie it around yourself for work or war)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

"And what's the deal with original sin? If it's so old, how can it be original?"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mister Beeg posted:

The GOP returns as a shambling monstrosity.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the EU referendum – New plain packs for cigarettes feature gory photographs of diseased organs – but the dire warnings issued by those who want to leave and remain in the EU are even scarier"

Telegraph:

Benedict Cumberbatch and Paloma Faith among 250 stars backing EU

Independent:

After Matisse.

Times:

NHS in England reveals £2.45bn record deficit

Stephen Collins:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I work at a good will and we get some gems like this and this. But I'm posting about it here because what I might think is the craziest thing I've processed was a political cartoon mug.

I had forgotten swine flu was even a thing. It's hard to read in the pics but it's basically "A thing happened also Janet Reno and Joe Biden suck." So a natural fit for the thread.

Bonus:
Bruce's shameful secret

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Stephen Collins:

This reads like a Dwarf Fortress comic.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

This reads like a Dwarf Fortress comic.

A chilling vision of Donald Trump's America.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Love the reference to Threads in the last panel.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Disagree, the gay viking would totally do it given the opportunity.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
C'mon, a viking wouldn't have gay sex, are you kidding? They're so manly!

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

NRVNQSR posted:

A chilling vision of Donald Trump's America.

Dwarf fortress is an absolute paradise compared to Trump's America. Everyone gets free food/living conditions/medical treatment, there's large government backed public works projects/job training, and a strong military.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

minimalist posted:

One of the amazing things about this election is how liberals have now fully co-opted a good number of shitheaded Republican talking points in the service of hippie-punching. I was hoping Sanders could drag Clinton at least slightly to the left but instead she and her followers are doubling down on the mindless Republicanesque tut-tutting. This season is hosed.

Whereas Sanders supporters are using the term "Clinton News Network" for CNN, a joke I'm pretty sure started with Rush Limbaugh.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

:stonk:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Wow. The liberal cartoonists turned on Bernie really quickly.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I mean based on this thread liberals in general turned on him really quickly

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I think people are just really afraid of a possible Trump presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Not just cartoonists. After the Nevada debacle I saw pieces from The Atlantic, Daily Kos, Charlie Pierce, Talking Points Memo, and Mother Jones saying that this poo poo's gone far enough.

• Locked thread