Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Anxious about the new pirate ship

Anxious about AAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

6536 posts of :ohdear:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

im glad of it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

My roommate lost one set of keys and had the other in his room. We shook the door, looked for a way to unscrew the handle, worked on jimmying the window etc.

It took me about a minute but I finally popped the door open with a laminated rewards card from the pharmacy.

My roommate's door: More secure than a spaceship in the future.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Roocraft can die in a fire.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Sunswipe posted:

It's still amazing to me that 900 years in the future, people are still using what look pretty much like Heckler and Koch G36 assault rifles. The lack of imagination that's gone into this game is incredible. 1930s sci-fi serial rayguns would be an improvement on this half-assed tosh.

Modern looking H&K G36 rifles and the like are a standby of a lot of modern tv sci-fi set in the spacefuture, showing up on Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica and probably a dozen others I'm forgetting. Of course, the reason is that they're intimidating, look passably futuristic-ish, and (most importantly) are easy as piss to acquire in blank-firing replica form for a massive firefight that doesn't break the effects budget. Even in a war setting like BSG, there's nothing high concept design fidelity will accomplish better than "this is gun. Gun bad. Gun shooty man, man fall down."

Of course, there's no reason to do this outside of a live action medium. It's even stupider when the player is an active participant in the fighting rather than just a viewer, dumber still when all the guns have visible stats and blurbs and attachments to :spergin: over.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

I'm not sure how he copes with real life to be honest, he has no apptitude whatso ever for minimising danger/risk without demanding everything be nerfed, how does he even cross the street without I-WIN cars mowing him down? He certainly doesn't strike me as the type to look both ways before crossing as that would require thought and planning.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Roocraft can die in a fire.

Not only is he racist his racist to someone completely unrelated because wtf do gypsies have to do with computers

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Murderion posted:

Modern looking H&K G36 rifles and the like are a standby of a lot of modern tv sci-fi set in the spacefuture, showing up on Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica and probably a dozen others I'm forgetting. Of course, the reason is that they're intimidating, look passably futuristic-ish, and (most importantly) are easy as piss to acquire in blank-firing replica form for a massive firefight that doesn't break the effects budget. Even in a war setting like BSG, there's nothing high concept design fidelity will accomplish better than "this is gun. Gun bad. Gun shooty man, man fall down."

Of course, there's no reason to do this outside of a live action medium. It's even stupider when the player is an active participant in the fighting rather than just a viewer, dumber still when all the guns have visible stats and blurbs and attachments to :spergin: over.
On the topic of making guns look cool in sci-fi games, Bethesda's site has a gallery of Doom 4's weapon designs, with artist commentary.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

FailAtMagic posted:

Not only is he racist his racist to someone completely unrelated because wtf do gypsies have to do with computers

they tried to jack his car stereo which, for whatever reason, from oppression 100 years ago to ingrained in their dna depending on your ideology, is unfortunately statistically a very gypsy thing to do.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Atreiden posted:

How did CIG gently caress up so bad with the latest patch, where there no-one from the evocati group that said this poo poo is bugged as hell, don't release it?

They pulled the same stunt with 2.0 back in Dec. It's par for the course.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Mirificus posted:

Anxious about the new pirate ship

Anxious about AAA

Whatever else can be said about SC backers, I have to admire their self-control because they've somehow managed to resist the overpowering urge to relentlessly bully B'Tak every single time he posts one of these threads

At LEAST, that's HOW I see it................................

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ray Roocroft is human garbage.

IT'S SIMPLY SOME WOOD WITH A GARAGE DOOR OPENER

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I could even go for the sort of game Full Burn would fit: a self-aware, cheesy '80s romp with big hair and homoerotic undertones. Just anything other than the unimaginitive shite Croberts regurgitates every time he watches a sci fi flick.

We already had a Blood Dragon.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Nice X-wing, bro.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

My roommate lost one set of keys and had the other in his room. We shook the door, looked for a way to unscrew the handle, worked on jimmying the window etc.

It took me about a minute but I finally popped the door open with a laminated rewards card from the pharmacy.

My roommate's door: More secure than a spaceship in the future.

Should've used a CIG backer card.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Murderion posted:

Yeah, I understand the need to use actual guns in live action sci-fi, preferably dressed up in cool ways, but the lack of imagination in Star Citizen is amazing. They've got to make the guns from scratch anyway, why not make them new and interesting? The smallest things in this game are microcosms of the whole: lazy, broken and poo poo.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

SurfaceDetail posted:

they tried to jack his car stereo which, for whatever reason, from oppression 100 years ago to ingrained in their dna depending on your ideology, is unfortunately statistically a very gypsy thing to do.

Ohhhhhhh he's from the UK that explains that

FailAtMagic fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 21, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Since Big Benny hosed up the Cutlass so bad he was responsible for coming up with the Buccaneer design. Good thing he's been watching a lot of Star Wars!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AlmightyPants posted:

Just like you, I also am not a game developer. I've been quietly reading along and occasionally posting, but I have learned enough about what's going on and why it's not going to work to expand upon it.

Crysis was chosen because, with a whole shitload of work and at a substantial performance cost, it can look pretty. That's about it. I bought a bunch of Crysis games through a humble bundle or something recently to try them on my new computer and they still run like absolute poo poo, even on technology that eclipses the original max specs. They look quite pretty while doing so though.

CryEngine was a poor choice because it really was purpose-built as tech demo stuff, designed to look pretty first and be playable second. Due to its single-minded focus, it requires a whole shitload of effort on the part of developers to look pretty. And it runs like rear end. It can render a pretty image, but it can't do it quickly or efficiently.

More importantly, the tech was designed around single and small scale multiplayer, human scale interactions on a planet. This starts to become a problem when you are selling ships that require more human characters on them than CryEngine has ever been asked to render at a time, and if they're all players, more of those than the engine supports multiplayer connections at a time.

The latter wouldn't be a problem if they had a competent team doing their netcode. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case in the least. From what we've seen of the netcode, it is godawful. Their servers have trouble handling 16 players. A Shitizen would say at this point "Don't worry, they hired the team that made the engine!" to which I will reply "Yes, the team that has never written good netcode in their lives".

They've made matters worse by using cloud services for server hosting, which as I understand it is more concerned with volume and data bandwidth rather than latency. Latency is key in any twich-based game, as a couple milliseconds here and there are game changing and immersion-shattering.

Going back again, CryEngine is designed for human scale interaction. Their vehicles were badly put together hacks at best. This is a problem in a game where you are supposed to fly spaceships. It probably explains why every spaceship seems to handle like someone set noclip mode on. Also, and this should be quite troubling is the scale of the game map. They claim to have changed everything from 32 bit to 64 bit positioning. This means a massively larger game map, if true. However, there is no proof of it - in fact most evidence points to it just being a bunch of hacks. This might very well be behind the issue of otherwise stationary ships spinning in place.

Star Citizen has a very specific set of demands. Realistically speaking, they needed to build something custom, from scratch, to make the game possible. CryEngine, which is sparsely used by other companies, was a very poor, possibly terminal, choice. The only outright advantage it had over anything else was that Crytek was willing to do the trailer for free in exchange for being used in the game - obviously appealing to the broke Crobber. If they hadn't picked such a fussy, flawed and complicated engine, it seems likely that Star Marine as developed by Illfonic would actually be implemented, rather than buried.

Crysis was chosen because Chris has been out of the industry for almost two decades, couldn't code a demo, couldn't afford to pay someone to code it for him, and Crytech offered to do it for free. That's the long and the short of it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

SurfaceDetail posted:

Uh, no they didn't. He just called the person who installed his car stereo poorly a racial slur for not putting in his stereo properly.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Samizdata posted:

I really wish I had understood gang tags when I purchased my last avvie change. I would have a Smarties tag if I had.

I wish the same. I'm still happy with my animated kitties though.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

1.3 million accounts, not backers.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

"You don't have anything from the allied side?"

"No, I wouldn't be interested in that sort of thing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q95t2ulrXW4

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Erenthal posted:

That guys twitter channel is just sadness defined. Yes, I get that he's getting payed to shill shill shill, but at some point lying out of your rear end 24/7 has gotta start wearing on your soul if you're a normal human being.

Don't be sad for RelativelyRacistRoyRoocroft.

The man's a loving bigot & a shill, so basically shower drain scum.

E: I just totally pulled a Smart by replying to a post before checking to see if it was completely redundant. Roy also blocked me on Twitter for calling him racist.

runsamok fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 21, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

orcinus posted:

Before you do, watch this and don't be a prick:
https://youtu.be/Q5WQipHLzog

At first there's going to be a lot of pricks as people learn the classes. I'm prepared.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Since Big Benny hosed up the Cutlass so bad he was responsible for coming up with the Buccaneer design. Good thing he's been watching a lot of Star Wars!
It does look like an overeating SW craft.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
LMAO, Roocroft's alias used to be "squeekimus".
Don't go searching around, though, he's not the only squeekimus out there, you could get the wrong impression.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

At first there's going to be a lot of pricks as people learn the classes. I'm prepared.

It's more along the lines of "at first there's going to be pricks as people learn it's not about sticking with a single class (or two) but learning to use all the classes, as needed, and as a team".

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Have to give CIG credit though. Staffing a PR/Customer relations department primarily with thin-skinned racist perverts is a fresh bold move in todays modern business world.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

The Kins posted:

On the topic of making guns look cool in sci-fi games, Bethesda's site has a gallery of Doom 4's weapon designs, with artist commentary.

Thanks, it's interesting to see how much effort professionals put into cheesy popcorn poo poo like Doom.

To :words: a bit more about design, guns in most media aren't important for their fire rates, slides, receivers, synthetic stocks etc etc, but rather for what they represent. Danger, war, death, the possibility of a much-loved character being hurt or killed - that's what's important. Modern weapons are used in sci-fi because the gun, in a recognizable form, is an easier shorthand for all of these things than a sleek Flash Gordon raygun or a fire spitting death staff. The harsh bang and flash of the modern firearm is more visceral than the pew-pew of the Star Wars blaster or the hiss of the Star Trek phaser. The only distinction the audience makes is between "Gun!:ohdear:" for a pistol or "Big Gun!:stonk:" for an SMG/shotgun/rifle.

In FPS games, the distinction is important because the weapon is an iconic extension of the player character, the thing we see the most and how we (murderously) interact with the world. Every weapon must look and feel distinctive in some way, whether we're dealing with wildly different weapons in Doom or carefully weighing up the pros and cons of two assault rifles in CoD multiplayer. The design choice of using modern firearms still holds, which is why solid projectile firearms have been a staple of VG sci-fi since the original Doom, but the design freedom of the medium means it's possible to build from the ground up. Take Halo, where the human weapons have a sleek bullpup design for a distinctive reloading animation, or the heavy assault rifle in the Doom designs which combines all of the hugest, manliest parts of the hugest, manliest modern guns into a massive silver thing that shoots testosterone tipped shells and launches sperm filled grenades.

Star Citizen is cribbing off of what's come before, of course, but it's cribbing off the wrong thing. Roberts has apparently skipped the last decade and a half of game design in favour of watching movies and TV. He's cargo culting Hollywood design, not understanding why those choices are made or why the modern games industry does things differently.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Current CIG status:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

There's a lot of interesting stuff that goes into sci-fi weapon (and armor, for that matter) design.

But for me the bottom line of it is that I think the current modern day G36 is a boring, ugly, lazy design, and I think any sci-fi weapon based off of it is at the bottom of the barrel of acceptability - actually gently caress that, it's unacceptable.

Now, that's all totally independent of how the G36 actually performs - I'm sure it's a fantastic weapon or whatever, but it just looks like a boring uninspired piece of poo poo.

There's already such a huge roadmap for designing future guns, be it from modifying current or historical firearms or designing them from scratch, that using a lovely G36 clone is just about the worst design decision they could have made.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Uh, no they didn't. He just called the person who installed his car stereo poorly a racial slur for not putting in his stereo properly.

oh thats even weirder then. Cuz I can imagine being pissed off about having your stuff broken into and making an angry post about it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Erenthal posted:

Have to give CIG credit though. Staffing a PR/Customer relations department primarily with thin-skinned racist perverts is a fresh bold move in todays modern business world.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Murderion posted:

Thanks, it's interesting to see how much effort professionals put into cheesy popcorn poo poo like Doom.

To :words: a bit more about design, guns in most media aren't important for their fire rates, slides, receivers, synthetic stocks etc etc, but rather for what they represent. Danger, war, death, the possibility of a much-loved character being hurt or killed - that's what's important. Modern weapons are used in sci-fi because the gun, in a recognizable form, is an easier shorthand for all of these things than a sleek Flash Gordon raygun or a fire spitting death staff. The harsh bang and flash of the modern firearm is more visceral than the pew-pew of the Star Wars blaster or the hiss of the Star Trek phaser. The only distinction the audience makes is between "Gun!:ohdear:" for a pistol or "Big Gun!:stonk:" for an SMG/shotgun/rifle.

In FPS games, the distinction is important because the weapon is an iconic extension of the player character, the thing we see the most and how we (murderously) interact with the world. Every weapon must look and feel distinctive in some way, whether we're dealing with wildly different weapons in Doom or carefully weighing up the pros and cons of two assault rifles in CoD multiplayer. The design choice of using modern firearms still holds, which is why solid projectile firearms have been a staple of VG sci-fi since the original Doom, but the design freedom of the medium means it's possible to build from the ground up. Take Halo, where the human weapons have a sleek bullpup design for a distinctive reloading animation, or the heavy assault rifle in the Doom designs which combines all of the hugest, manliest parts of the hugest, manliest modern guns into a massive silver thing that shoots testosterone tipped shells and launches sperm filled grenades.

Star Citizen is cribbing off of what's come before, of course, but it's cribbing off the wrong thing. Roberts has apparently skipped the last decade and a half of game design in favour of watching movies and TV. He's cargo culting Hollywood design, not understanding why those choices are made or why the modern games industry does things differently.

:five:

Excellent post!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Erenthal posted:

CIG is a supporter of Equal opportunities for scumbags and human garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here. Let's laugh together at goon art.

• Locked thread