Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mogomra posted:

Who actually said "RE7?" Is it possible they're just talking about REMake 2?

I don't think they'd bother saying "return to horror roots" if it was RE2Make, which is already at the "classic" level of the old games. Whatever it is, I'm hoping it doesn't look or feel like Revelations 2. That game was fun but looked like poo poo and it never felt like any of your guns had impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mogomra posted:

Who actually said "RE7?" Is it possible they're just talking about REMake 2?

Yeah but the RE2 remake was announced only a few months ago, whereas RE7 has theoretically been in development since October of 2012. So if they are discussing a game that will come out before March 2017, it sort of has to be RE7.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

re7 will end with chris redfield punching space & time itself as to reverse the apocalyptic state the earth is in

count on it

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I just want the game-mode of joining other people's games as monsters to gently caress with them to be a constant thing in the series from now on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RE7, I suspect, will be a pretty boldface attempt to revert to the norm. It's pretty common after a badly received game (and RE6, regardless of sales, didn't blow the world away) to go all-in on the norm unless the game that bombed was one that did that.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I've decided I'm going to hate it already. I loved 6, instead of improving on 6 there just going to give us Resident Evil 2017, I bet it will even be in a mansion

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They might try going back to RE4 instead of RE1

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Pureauthor posted:

They might try going back to RE4 instead of RE1

I'm worried that's exactly what they intend. I liked RE4 enough when it came out, but looking back on it I'd rather have another real survival horror game or more of what the series has been with 5 and 6-- 4's gameplay has a niche in the Revelations series and that's exactly where it should stay, in spinoffs.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Really, if they "go back" to any of the games except maybe Rev 1 or 2 and RE1 DC, it will be great.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm not gonna lie, at this point it feels like Capcom can just slap "Resident Evil" on literally anything and I'll fork over my money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest there's very few REs I can't say I didn't have a fun time with. Sometimes (often) in spite of their flaws. Even RE6, which had a lot of them, had enough strong moments and a great Mercenaries mode that I never really regretted playing it. I assume at minimum a theoretical RE7 will do something I like, even if it is just mechanical.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RE7 just needs to dial back the QTEs a bit and not do what The Evil Within did and have every second enemy be able to one hit kill you, which largely made increasing your health in that game pointless. Do that and tighten up the level design a bit to make use of your abilities then I'd be completely okay with a Resident Evil 6 2.0.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I'm going to get the remake of 5 when it comes out, should I wait to play revelations and/or 6 until I've played it? I'm mainly asking based on how connected the stories are. For the record I have played 1, 2, 3, 4, and 0.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Timeline goes like this if you want total story chronology.

Resident Evil: Revelations 1
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil: Revelations 2
Resident Evil 6

The silly animated movies are in between some places there but they aren't important.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's a shot in Revelations's ending that will make more sense if you've played RE5's "Lost in Nightmares" DLC scenario, but it's otherwise not that connected.

Chris's game in RE6 plays pretty heavily off of RE5 in general.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I love Resident Evil 1, 4, 5 and 6 all for different reasons so regardless of what they do with Resident Evil 7 I'm sure it's going to be the jam.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are you saying you don't love RE2 + 3

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Lunethex posted:

Timeline goes like this if you want total story chronology.

Resident Evil: Revelations 1
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil: Revelations 2
Resident Evil 6

The silly animated movies are in between some places there but they aren't important.

The animated movies are vital to understanding the intricate tapestry that is the Resident Evil canon. Everyone should watch them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Ok you should watch Damnation because at least Leon is being more badass than he was in Degeneration.

Actually watching Degeneration would KIND OF SORT OF help with Rev2.

I think Leon's actually starring in the next animated film coming up too.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The funny thing is the CG in Damnation is worse than the CG in Resident Evil 6. Or, that was my impression when I watched it shortly after playing 6.

E: Maybe less funny and more ironic? I dunno.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I think we were talking about it in CJacobs's RE:R2 thread, but Damnation, for some reason, has some of the most well-researched firearms in film history:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Damnation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I think we were talking about it in CJacobs's RE:R2 thread, but Damnation, for some reason, has some of the most well-researched firearms in film history:

I really enjoy that even in the films they carry the magical green healing herbs around.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In the later games they turn herbs into healing spray since animating someone munching on a leaf MIGHT look silly. In RE6 it was pills they pop out of a container like Tic-Tacs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Ok you should watch Damnation because at least Leon is being more badass than he was in Degeneration.

Actually watching Degeneration would KIND OF SORT OF help with Rev2.

I think Leon's actually starring in the next animated film coming up too.
I thought it was Rebecca that's in the next CGI film, not Leon. Or will it be both?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Rebecca in the first one, leon in the second

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Rebecca in the first one, leon in the second

The first one, Degeneration, was Leon + Claire. Degeneration was kinda fun.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The first one, Degeneration, was Leon + Claire. Degeneration was kinda fun.

Too bad Claire doesn't do a drat thing in the movie besides getting stabbed through the leg with a huge shard of glass.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Vakal posted:

Too bad Claire doesn't do a drat thing in the movie besides getting stabbed through the leg with a huge shard of glass.
Which she got by surviving a giant explosion that collapsed half of the building she was in and missed killing Claire by inches.

The Redfields are a tough pair of siblings.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

At least she gets one decent scene before she's sidelined, but yeah, that was something I didn't care for about the movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Those movies just FELT like Resident Evil cutscenes, I loved them. My only issue is they go on a bit too long. It was cool hearing Claire again. Was reaaaaally bummed that they changed voice actors for Revelations 2. I also remember thinking the CGI was excellent, Leon looked pretty much what I would expect a real life anime character to look like

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The best part of the movies was the Tyrant getting absolutely demolished by an A-10 Warthog, thus once again showing how pointless Umbrella's bio-weapon plans for warfare really were.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Umbrella sucked massively at creating bio weapons that would work for actual warfare against standing, but turned out to be really good at terrorism against unarmed civilians so that's actually even more evil all things considered.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wanderer posted:

I might have to revisit Damnation, when it first came out I wasn't too excited because it featured Leon and Ada...again.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Damnation has a pretty slow start but once it got going I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's dumb fun with a slice of Japanese melodrama.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The only thing I remember about damnation is the tyrant fighting a tank and also what happens to the villain guy? It's a very forgettable movie.

Wait, I also remember the female president Ada fight being kind of cool.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 22, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Vakal posted:

The best part of the movies was the Tyrant getting absolutely demolished by an A-10 Warthog, thus once again showing how pointless Umbrella's bio-weapon plans for warfare really were.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Yeah, a Tyrant lost pretty clean to military vehicles, but the movie does a pretty good job at showing off how anything shy of heavy armor or full air support is pretty much at a loss, and a Tyrant has the advantage of not needing a supply chain to deploy. You just throw it in there like Doomguy with a berserk pack.

Plus, apparently Hunters breed like frogs and you can depopulate a pretty good-sized city with them virtually overnight.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The virus warhead from RE6 was genuinely terrifying.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Help Im Alive posted:

Are you saying you don't love RE2 + 3

I like them just fine, but they don't represent their own gameplay style like the other numbered entries do. Of the three tank control Resident Evils I definitely like the original best.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's four! Don't forget Code Veronica! I really enjoyed that game, my only complaint really is that I wish they had properly split the two characters (Claire and Chris) like in the first two games, instead of making one completely linear story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's four! Don't forget Code Veronica! I really enjoyed that game, my only complaint really is that I wish they had properly split the two characters (Claire and Chris) like in the first two games, instead of making one completely linear story.
I think it's really only a problem because Chris goes to the island. It just feels really fillery since we already know Claire is long gone.