Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrSlam posted:

I think we should separate into team cults. The Cult of Ice that schemes to get GRRM to get worse healthwise so the series is either dead or picked up by another writer, and the Cult of Fire who schemes to deprive him of primetime TV and going to conventions so he finishes TWOW.

I'll be the song of ice and fire team. We don't do anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I'll be in Team Absolute Fucker, fill a flashlight with my own poop and try to kill my self by urinary tract infection

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I was not expecting the Cleganebowl/puppybowl crossover, but now I want it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rey is an Anakin clone so she's got midichlorians bleeding out of her wherever.

That only happens once a force!

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

That dog is actually 200 pounds.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

MrSlam posted:

I don't think Tatooine had bulls. The expression should've been, "I used to Banthas-eye, womprats back home."
:goonsay:

A bull is what you call a male Bantha IDIOT

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

420 Gank Mid posted:

A bull is what you call a male Bantha IDIOT

So Luke was really saying, "I'm actually poo poo at this" and they let him come along anyway because the real fighter pilots needed decoys.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lycus posted:

So Luke was really saying, "I'm actually poo poo at this" and they let him come along anyway because the real fighter pilots needed decoys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RajguJoZ8aA

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol turns out all of the spoilers from that leaked season summary were true.

here's the origin of the White Walkers

http://imgur.com/a/VShlZ

And Hodor = Hold the Door is real

LOOOOOOOL

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
250 pages in, I'm liking The Game of Thrones. The fact that they haven't gone back to Genghis Khan and his child bride since the fingerblasting scene is probably related

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol turns out all of the spoilers from that leaked season summary were true.

here's the origin of the White Walkers

http://imgur.com/a/VShlZ

LOOOOOOOL

my friend was so upset that i said the show was stupid now. shes going to think that poo poo is soooo cool

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't watch the show. What's so weird or special about hold the door? Or is it just a laugh at because it's dumb thing?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Who's the dude getting walkerized?

The wood elves creating the ice zombies to fight humans doesn't bother me. It's as good as any origin story for them.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Communism posted:

I was not expecting the Cleganebowl/puppybowl crossover, but now I want it.

I'm up or the Tormund / Brienne / Jaime love triangle Anime spin off... must have it. I'll even settle for a YA romance novel.

davecrazy posted:

The wood elves creating the ice zombies to fight humans doesn't bother me. It's as good as any origin story for them.

Yeah, I'm cool with that. Very skynet yo. Except they are trees, and uh I guess THEY are the skynet, and if like the network made their own robots, and THOSE robots revolted you know?

So it's like I'm gonna go write that movie, and it will be about skynet sending a soldier back in time to stop skynet itself from being created, so that skynet won't create a race of mechnical monsters that later destroy the universe.

boom boom boom posted:

250 pages in, I'm liking The Game of Thrones. The fact that they haven't gone back to Genghis Khan and his child bride since the fingerblasting scene is probably related

Come for the promise of endless winter
Stay for the underage rape

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

kcroy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 22, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bran can basically time travel. He mind-rapes Hodor in the past by accident. It's especially weird because its Meera shouting the words "Hold the door" and young Hodor hears her through Bran. Or something.

Also Bloodraven is looking like he might be future Bran but its hardly confirmed.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bran can basically time travel. He mind-rapes Hodor in the past by accident. It's especially weird because its Meera shouting the words "Hold the door" and young Hodor hears her through Bran. Or something.

Also Bloodraven is looking like he might be future Bran but its hardly confirmed.

I mostly don't like the Hodor = Hold Door but the more I hear about what sounded like a horrible theory the more I'm just glad they are going to explain something and move on. I love mysteries but know that pretty much any explanation is going to be far less interesting than the anticipation.

It allows us to leave north of the wall without any major outstanding mysteries (what happened at Hardhome, what's going on in the cave, who are the walkers, who are the Children of the forest, where is uncle Benjen) and we'll end with, presumably, three Stark children together and know where Rickon (may he rest in peace) and Arya are.

We'll have to wait on GURM to find out what happened with Stonesnake.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM time travel rules seem to be:

- fixed timeline, everything you will do with time travel in the future already had it's effect in the past (see: Hodor)
- only your consciousness can time travel

Which means hopefully that time travel will not be a major plot point going forward, but gives some credence to the idea that Bloodraven was the one trying to influence Aerys II., which led to him going mad.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

God no matter what, the children creating the others can only be dumb, but I look forward to hear the story behind it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Atreiden posted:

God no matter what, the children creating the others can only be dumb, but I look forward to hear the story behind it.

I think it makes perfect sense myself and struggle to think of a more satisfactory alternative.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think it makes perfect sense myself and struggle to think of a more satisfactory alternative.

Yeah, I didn't like it at first because my initial reaction to anything GURM-related is to take a poo poo on it. Upon further reflection, it works.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Nature magic creating ice magic is kinda dumb unless some rh'll'or dude created the tree ladies with fire magic and it was like a dumb circle of dumb life thing.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I can't wait to get WILDCARDS'D by the show tonight with L+R=J or whatever gently caress you gurm I hate the loving show I hate you gurm hate HATE HATE

Is the book out?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I don't think they needed an origin, much like I don't need one for the children or humans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a dumb concept/entity deserves a dumb origin.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Oberst posted:

Is the book out?

GRRM just blogged a possible publication date in early 2017.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Atreiden posted:

I don't think they needed an origin, much like I don't need one for the children or humans.

I disagree, the others being a sentient race with defined ambitions was always a necessity, otherwise they're just Ice Saurons bent on evil for the sake of evil, showing the root of their conflict with the children is important for the story.

It also served to demonstrate a point which the show has never even glanced upon before, that the children are not this benevolent personification of Mother Nature.

Basically GRRM is ripping off Babylon 5.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

GRRM just blogged a possible publication date in early 2017.

You made me look at his blog you jerk.

Or did I miss it? Could I have missed it? Please?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Hodor died in the dumbest way possible to give Meera a maybe two minute head start. So we now have a 110lb girl dragging a cripple on a sled through the snow. With an army following her just barely behind.

How can they possibly get away?

Deus Ex Benjen obviously.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I disagree, the others being a sentient race with defined ambitions was always a necessity, otherwise they're just Ice Saurons bent on evil for the sake of evil, showing the root of their conflict with the children is important for the story.

It also served to demonstrate a point which the show has never even glanced upon before, that the children are not this benevolent personification of Mother Nature.

Basically GRRM is ripping off Babylon 5.

But they can be sentient and have ambitions without being created. Again both the humans and the Children have sentiens and ambitions and we don't get or need an origin story for them.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Why kill Hodor? Is bran going to warg into a white walker Hodor?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Given the whole Hodor thing* I went back to reread his introduction in GoT: "Theon Greyjoy had once commented that Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt that he knew his name."

It's been cool to hate on this poo poo for a long time now and a lot of it isn't as good as it used to be, I know that, but every now and again I remember that Martin is really, really good at playing the long game - foreshadowing Reek here three thousand pages and fifteen years apart in a sentence that's not even about him.

*Which, I don't know about you salty fuckers, but I'll be honest and say that got me

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Atreiden posted:

But they can be sentient and have ambitions without being created. Again both the humans and the Children have sentiens and ambitions and we don't get or need an origin story for them.

Sure you don't need it but it helps to 'humanize' them, it gives them a clear and understandable motive to be disdainful towards the children and the first men who've adopted the worship of the 'Old Gods', it also makes them somewhat sympathetic cause we see that they were engineered to be slaves and were stripped of their humanity in the process.

I think it's fine. Having the birth of the others be linked with the historical Long Night and the war between the children and the first men is fine and interesting, it's also something that's long been speculated by the spergiest members of the ASOIAF fandom. I

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sure you don't need it but it helps to 'humanize' them, it gives them a clear and understandable motive to be disdainful towards the children and the first men who've adopted the worship of the 'Old Gods', it also makes them somewhat sympathetic cause we see that they were engineered to be slaves and were stripped of their humanity in the process.

I think it's fine. Having the birth of the others be linked with the historical Long Night and the war between the children and the first men is fine and interesting, it's also something that's long been speculated by the spergiest members of the ASOIAF fandom. I

Fair enough. I would have prefered them as a separate sentient species, though a vain hope I suppose, since we saw a child being converted to one earlier. For me, having them created makes them a bit to much like orcs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

3Romeo posted:

Given the whole Hodor thing* I went back to reread his introduction in GoT: "Theon Greyjoy had once commented that Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt that he knew his name."

It's been cool to hate on this poo poo for a long time now and a lot of it isn't as good as it used to be, I know that, but every now and again I remember that Martin is really, really good at playing the long game - foreshadowing Reek here three thousand pages and fifteen years apart in a sentence that's not even about him.

*Which, I don't know about you salty fuckers, but I'll be honest and say that got me

i jsut reread this last night and i didnt loving notice the reek thing drat

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The wood elves might of destroyed the land bridge between Essos and Westeros, tried to wreck The Neck but only would up flooding it, but the idea that they created ice zombies is too much?

When your getting your poo poo pushed in by iron bronze age guys who greatly out number you and are cutting down your trees you gotta do what you gotta do.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 22, 2016

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Atreiden posted:

Fair enough. I would have prefered them as a separate sentient species, though a vain hope I suppose, since we saw a child being converted to one earlier. For me, having them created makes them a bit to much like orcs.

I know the show and the books are different, but that said, given that the one big legend we have about them is about a dude marrying an Other lady and having kids with her, and GRRM fancies himself ~scientific~ (like his bullshit about the dragons having four legs being more sciencey than six legs), obviously they were going to basically be genetically human in some way or another, so he can pat himself on the shitdick about it.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

The Bad Thread equivalent of "Your shoe's untied."

On another note, the new episode has been playing for a bit on HBO Nordic or something. More dead dogs, apparently.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

HELLO LADIES posted:

I know the show and the books are different, but that said, given that the one big legend we have about them is about a dude marrying an Other lady and having kids with her, and GRRM fancies himself ~scientific~ (like his bullshit about the dragons having four legs being more sciencey than six legs), obviously they were going to basically be genetically human in some way or another, so he can pat himself on the shitdick about it.

Did they have children? I can't remember that, I thought he just married her and started worshipping the Others.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Or did I miss it? Could I have missed it? Please?

Nah it's right there. Look again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Nah it's right there. Look again.

Thanks, I hadn't thought to read his response to the comments. I guess that makes sense - that will be six years since Dance, right? I guess I have faith again - maybe he will finish this series after all.