Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh right I should probably, like, look at sheets and make sure no one hosed up.

FewtureMD: Did you add the free Occult dot for being a mage? If so, you are one dot short on Mental skills. If not, oyu are Occult 5. Also of note, you can have non-7 Virtues/7 Vices Virtue/Vice if you want. You seem to be short either a free Language/Multilingual dot or a free Status: Mysterium dot (but not both). You start with full Mana, not (Wisdom) Mana, that's a 1e thing and wrong. Add your Athletics to your Defense score.
What does your Nimbus Tilt do to people it affects? You have one option from the following:
  • +1 to an Attribute
  • -1 to an attribute
  • 8-again to one skill
  • Lose 10-again with one skill.
We'll need to talk about the spirit's Ban and what it means, since I don't really get it off the top of my head.
Is your Library personal or shared with the cabal?

Cirno: Is your Hallow personal or shared with the Cabal?
You appear to be two dots short on Rotes unless your Praxis is also known as a Rote.
Same Nimbus Tilt thing as Fewture.

Magnusth: Did you add the free Occult dot? It doesn't look like it.
What is your free Language? Also, you seem one dot shy on merits.
Define your Nimbus and Nimbus Tilt, as above, and pick a Dedicated Magical Tool.

Nessus: You get a free dot of Language or Multilingual.
Is your Safe Place and Sanctum personal or shared with the Cabal?
Define your Nimbus and Nimbus Tilt, as above.

Daeren: You get a free dot of Language or Multilingual.

Epicurius: Free dot of Language or Multilingual. Apparently I really, really made that unclear?
Define your Nimbus Tilt; I believe all of your Nimbuses have the same one.
We need to define your Mystery Cult. Third dot is the one we still haven't done yet, yeah? Given the Astral focus, I'd suggest it grant the two-dot version of Meditative Mind.

Alien Rope Burn: Free dot of Language r Multilingual.
I think you're two dots short on Rotes unless you have Exceptional Luck as both Rote and Praxis?
You appear to have one attribute dot too many in either Mental or Social.

Currently known to be shared:
FROM MAGNUSTH
Safe Place 2, Library 2

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
All the things should be fixed except one thing, but I'll get to that in a moment.

Getting sucked into the Mysterium pretty shortly after her awakening, Veritas had a mentor assigned - Finnegas, a classics professor by day and Fenian seer by... well, evenings, at least. Though he was reluctant to have to take time out from his Very Important Research uncovering the seed of all knowledge, he at least begrudgingly showed Veritas a lot of the ropes. Of course, her getting into a cabal freed him of his obligation as she sees it, but he doesn't resent her anymore. In fact, he might wonder if she just might be the key to his research. That's not to say that there wasn't the competition. Though her nimbus made her an awful choice for the Guardians, the Free Council did try and recruit Veritas. Probably some overlap with an existing mentor there.

Veritas is pretty much somebody who's willing to hack at a mystery until its bones are exposed to the sunlight. She's not somebody you put in for any sort of subtlety, mind- though to mundanes she isn't much more than a nosy graduate student, to mages you might as well be shining a spotlight on anything she looks into. Her Nimbus opens eyes and helps those around her ferret out secrets, for good or ill. Still, she's got an intensely keen mind for the occult, investigation, and people. In addition, she practically exhales boons (she's not as eager with hexes, mind), and is also a practiced magical scribe. In general, she's flexible and her magic can be adapted to a wide variety of mundane situations.

The Lady of the Lake is probably akin to a older, more sensible sister to her. They have a lot of commonality, but Veritas tends more towards the spontaneous and careless. Pneuma and Veritas in theory would compliment each other very well as investigators and colleagues - with one being cynical and the other optimistic, they could buddy cop it up. Veritas and Imogen do have similar attitudes, and likely would get along pretty well, as aforementioned.

Oh, and that one thing. Having a Destiny as strong as they come, Veritas has a Doom to that corresponds to it. Spoiler tags for those that care not to know, but OOCly I'm not worried about it as a secret.

Veritas' curiosity and optimism makes her eventually vulnerable to recruitment by the Seers. She likely has the best of intentions - to study them, to try and reform one of their members, maybe something as insane as to try and talk sense to a Minister or Exarch. Whatever the reason, it's bound not to work, whether its being trapped by some binding, alienated from the Orders, or simply sacrificed (metaphorically or literally). After all, the Seers have a more intense aversion to the truth than possibly anybody else on this planet.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 22, 2016

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Should be fixed, language is Welsh

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Mentor is probably a little strong, but the person who "taught Maugris the ropes" and such is the Thrysus who goes by Sister Titania, a fellow Guardian who's the leader of the Children of Dawn. Soon after he awakened, she found him, taught him the basics of being a mage, and initiated him into the Guardians of the Veil. It's not a traditional mentor-student relationship. While they respect each other as colleagues and John is grateful to her for what she did for him, and will gladly help her if she needs it, they have their own lives, and other than strategizing about the Children of the Dawn and a monthly get together for coffee and gossip, they're not particularly close.

Sister Titania gives off a very matronly earth-mother vibe; the type who wears only cruelty-free clothing and only eats organic vegetables, who'll talk your ear off about how we're polluting the earth and it has to stop. (She's been remarkably unsuccessful so far in getting Maugris to go vegan.) She also comes across as a genuinely nice woman; one who will gladly help anyone in need, and who can't stand to see someone else in trouble if she can help. This has led people to underestimate her or to assume she's somehow weak or too nice to be dangerous. This is a mistake. Sister Titania has mastery over both Spirit and Life and is willing to do whatever it takes to protect those she cares about and the innocent.

Maugris is primarily in the cabal for his protection. As self-sufficient as he prides himself as being, London is no place for a mage on his own.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mors Rattus posted:

Nessus: You get a free dot of Language or Multilingual.
Is your Safe Place and Sanctum personal or shared with the Cabal?
Language taken - French.

The Safe Place is certainly personal to Sephone. I could be talked into sharing the Sanctum tho.

Nimbus: A cloying, feverish feeling like being in a viewing room with your embalmed great-aunt. Too many flowers.
Nimbus tilt effect: -1 resolve

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Sheet should be (mostly) updated. No familiar, Hallow is probably shared but with just one dot (and with it being kinda out of the way) it might be a bit hard to share it all that well. Nimbus gives +1 Resolve; a badger always stands their ground, and when Badger is shining brightest, everyone else gets a bit of that stubborn spirit rubbing off on them.

Badger's first official - if not first real - mentor was probably her most contentious. Sir Bors was, of course, named after the same Arthurian bullshit half this drat island's magic seems to revolve around (the fact that it's also objectively real does nothing to make this less irritating to Badger). Practically perfect without ever trying to be. Courageous, passionate, loyal, celibate (oh come the gently caress on, right? In this day and age? Really?). He practically belonged in a movie, not that he'd ever be able to lie well enough to act. Tried to convince her to buy into all his loving charming English bits. Whatever. She could probably take him in a fight, assuming he'd ever even try to fight back against a "lady." She got stuck with him because he was a high ranking Arrow who didn't yet have someone he was teaching.

Her second mentor officially (after Bors didn't work out), and ACTUAL mentor, was a half-mad and likely ancient Thyrsus druid named Artair who was bigger then most people have any right being. Not Arthur, he's extremely quick to point out, no no, none of that. Born up in the north, Artair is, to be frank, just about everything she expected from a Thyrsus. Half-mad, smelled unbathed, was probably high on hallucinogenics half the time. But drat, could the man teach when he was lucid - hell, even when he wasn't. He's the one who helped her find her name, encouraging her to look beyond the tales of knightly chivalry and focus on something more primal - there is no heraldry without heraldry animals, after all, and the Christians were never quite able to erase all the paganism from Arthurian legend. The two shared a fondness of large meals, camping, wrestling (both actual wrestling and watching it), spending time with animals, and sneering at the knights who went full gung-ho on their knightliness, albeit for different reasons. They're really not in a mentor-student relationship these days - more friends then anything else, and they both keep busy enough not to have a whole lot of contact.

As for her role, Badger is probably equal parts the dumb jock and the weird one. Unless you have a question about ancient literature, she probably can't help you all that much with matters occult or academic, and she's far from being Miss Professional, but she's a champion fighter, and loves talking to animals. She initially became a part of this cabal for, of all things, mild socializing reasons; Badger could have a bad habit of getting real solitary, and she saw the cabal as a mandatory social event to get her out of the house. Since then she's likely saved their skins often enough for her to realize that, welp, they count as her territory now, which means she's gotta keep them safe, too.

Badger finds Malgis (Maguris?) infuriating, though not really for any fault of his own. She's never super gotten along with Titania - vegetarian hippies and carnivorous violence-seekers don't make the best of friends - and this rubs off a bit. Mostly though, they're at opposite ends. Badger was born wealthy and squandered it all; Malgis was born as poor as she is now, and made an actual life for himself. Somehow they both found themselves at the bottom of a bottle too much, and to be frank, Badger thinks he should know better.

Badger is fond of Veritas, though that's partially from being on "Veritas Duty" more often then not. She has a refreshing lack of subtlety and is willing to dig up whatever is needed to get to the bottom of things. Of course, that inevitably brings trouble, which inevitably means Badger has to jump in front of her. Again.

She appreciate's Darrows drive to attack the Seers, but little bits here and there remind her too much of her own family. Of course, that could just make her wanna be the "bad influence" on him even more. She knows a few good pubs, a few good places to get into fights. Show Mr Lawyer the more down to earth side of things.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Veritas' curiosity and optimism makes her eventually vulnerable to recruitment by the Seers. She likely has the best of intentions - to study them, to try and reform one of their members, maybe something as insane as to try and talk sense to a Minister or Exarch. Whatever the reason, it's bound not to work, whether its being trapped by some binding, alienated from the Orders, or simply sacrificed (metaphorically or literally). After all, the Seers have a more intense aversion to the truth than possibly anybody else on this planet.

Would The Lady have had reason to have a look at your destiny, and would Vertias be cool with that in that case?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thread goes up tomorrow.

And unless anyone has a better suggestion, your cabal is named the Fighting Mongooses.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Magnusth posted:

Would The Lady have had reason to have a look at your destiny, and would Vertias be cool with that in that case?

Well, my counter questions would be:
  • I have no idea! Would she? In any case, it's probably not subtle, Fate-wise. A Destiny that big is like a huge gravity well of probability.
  • Would she ask Veritas? Veritas would probably be eager to hear about it if asked, but would The Lady tell her?

Mors Rattus posted:

And unless anyone has a better suggestion, your cabal is named the Fighting Mongooses.

I will keep suggesting the Mysteria Magica Maxima even if I (or Veritas) am the only one it ever amuses.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Took Multilingual (Russian, French).

Immediate Nimbus: A sudden, intense burst of depersonalization that lasts only a few moments - particularly vulnerable subjects can feel something else lurking at the edges of the body and mind they suddenly feel isn't their own. Effect: -1 Wits
Signature Nimbus: The onlooker becomes uncomfortably aware of their exact posture, and the passage of every fleeting thought.

(Mors, I'm gonna write some about the Ladder/Seers here, and if you don't like it or it doesnt fit with what you've got already, let me know and I'll rewrite it in a heartbeat.)

Darrow's mentor (who I decided to change the name of) is Frigg, an Acanthus of the Silver Ladder. She's a mid-level editor at the BBC, though her posting seems oddly...fluid. She just seems to bounce from position to position, not out of any apparent ambition or unsuitability. She's helped shape the news in drat near every branch of the BBC, and has enough experience to make a serious stab at being a lead editor, but seems quite happy with just filling in where she's needed.

She does it because she's gotten quite good at the quiet, vicious game the Ladder and the Seers play within the BBC. When the Ladder needs a story spun just so, a column squashed, a Panopticon rival to have an unfortunate accident, Frigg is the one they rely on to find a way to make it happen. She helps the wide net of Silver Ladder mages and their half-aware Cryptopolies (yes, there's more than one) communicate and organize within the behemoth organization, acting as their go-between.

The Silver Ladder and Seers have slowly calcified into a sort of gentleman's agreement that can more accurately be described as mutually assured destruction. A concentrated push from either side for total dominance of the BBC would end in mind-boggling amounts of magical violence, and both sides know it. So, they content themselves with quietly undermining each other, moving their pieces when the other side is distracted, and coming to mutual agreements that some topics aren't worth the risk of touching (much.) Frigg has gotten so good at ferrying missives back and forth between Seer and Ladder that she could almost consider a few of them friends, if not for the full awareness they'd backstab her in a heartbeat - and vice versa.

She doesn't have much time for direct mentoring of Darrow, but as she was the first to find him (and save him), she tries to check in and assist where she can. Being an Acanthus, this usually means she checks in at opportune moments. She's straight-laced and professional, though with the sort of dry, veiled wit you can only obtain by doing the sort of job she's done for years.

As for Darrow's role in the cabal? He has no real idea himself, yet. It's only been a few months since he Awakened, and Frigg gently nudged him into the forming cabal to give him some peers his own "age." He mostly wants to get his feet under him, and ideally make sure everyone stays safe. He's not a traditional sort of fighter, but he's got a knack for talking his way out of situations few others could, and his brief time with mages of other orders has convinced him that he's surrounded by a society perpetually in search of more ropes to hang itself with. He hasn't had much time to form an opinion of the other cabalmates, but finds Badger's seeming fixation on him a little distressing, and sees more of his mother in Malgis than he'd care to look at for too long.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mors Rattus posted:

Thread goes up tomorrow.

Why not Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, if we must

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, my counter questions would be:
  • I have no idea! Would she? In any case, it's probably not subtle, Fate-wise. A Destiny that big is like a huge gravity well of probability.
  • Would she ask Veritas? Veritas would probably be eager to hear about it if asked, but would The Lady tell her?

I'm honestly not sure if sufficiently strong destinies trigger the peripheal mage sight. i'd geuss they do so when being actively invoked, i.e. when destiny dice are being used? Even if not, with my amount of fate and Dream, i think i would twig to it and some point. And yes, The Lady would ask permission. i'd have to cast spells and then stare at you for a while, so i't not something i can exactly be subtle about.

As for a name, and some cabal history: i'm thinking The Lady of the Lake may have been the one to gather people up and get them together in a cabal? it seems like the sort of thing she'd do, and it also makes her a bit more proactive, but in an in-theme way. She would've probably prefered a highly arthurian name, but as that's not everyone here's cup of tea, i suggest that we go simple:
  • Cyfeillion
Which litterally just means "Friends" in welsh, which The Lady just so happens to speak.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Alrighty, sheet is updated and in order! As for my nimbus tilt, it's an 8-again to Investigate, its as if those around him get infected by Pneuma's need to collect/absorb knowledge.

Pnuema's mentor is this old coot:

Meet Moses, a member of the House of Ariadne, semi-professional taxi driver, and the first mage to try to explain some of what was going on to Pneuma after his Awakening. They drove around for hours and hours as the fledgling mage got a crash course in Awakened Society in London while the windows of the cab showed scenes that seemed to be impossible, unless at one point they drove through a field full of Roman Legion reenactors... Pneuma was dropped off at the tea shop right down the block from his flat, with a stern admonition to have something good and strong, and a promise to meet at this spot in a week. The trips/lectures continued for a year, oddly only taking place in the cab. The value of a place's history was imparted to young Pneuma, and he'd even made some inroads towards memorizing the Knowledge, when Moses vanished after one trip. The last thing he had mentioned was a possible route through Blackfriars beyond even the Knowledge. Pneuma still looks from time to time, but he's resigned himself to waiting on any real progress until he can command some better knowledge (and spirits).

The Library is indeed available to the group, and takes up the other bedroom in Pneuma's flat. Wall to wall shelves crammed with books, cassette tapes, and diagrams, while a computer unconnected to the Internet sits connected to a private shielded hard drive containing all the audio from Pneuma's spirit interview sessions. Whenever's he's deep in thought or nervous, he unconsciously fiddles with his digital recorder.

Pneuma probably met the other cabal mates through professional contacts, as he has a bit of a reputation as an up and coming star regarding spirits, and to supplement his income from his day job as a reporter for the Telegraph, he does freelance research gigs/private investigations.

As for the cabal name... I like Magnusth's suggestion

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 27, 2016

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

FewtureMD posted:

As for the cabal name... I like Magnusth's suggestion

Same.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thread's up.

And Cyfeillion it is!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nobody will recognize my genius. :kiddo:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Don't expect much out of me this week, gonna be at Origins for most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Do Nimbus tilts affect the mage imposing them? I'm presuming not but I realize that it never says explicitly one way or the other.

• Locked thread