Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's probably some kind of subconscious racist thing but all of the indonesian/thai/south american/whatever brutal death and grind legit scares me like it all sound so vicious and intense compared to most American stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
nah, that's not racist, it's definitely a real thing.

imo it's a combination of not having a pro studio to record in (so everything is lo-fi as gently caress), limited access to formal instrumental training (so bands play loving fast but the use of a metronome or click track is completely foreign to them, and as a result everything sounds super shaky and chaotic) and most importantly having a really really strong local scene where to stand out you have to be harder and more extreme than all the other motherfuckers you're competing with

sadly i don't know many thai metal bands at all, the one i most like is melodius deite who sound like galneryus + dark moor + symphony x so... totally not the same thing

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Burnt Offerings is some real good poo poo. Everything up to Something Wicked is cool and good.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

Im not really into brutal dm because i think the drums sound like cartoon characters running and the vocals sound like a septic tank being drained but i like a few of those indonesian bands that guy from tbdm writes about in his column

the st anger snare adds minimum 35% more ignorance to the slam riffs

also the reason why so many of those bands come from indonesia or south america is because they all got tired of asking in youtube and facebook comments every band on earth to come play their countries so they decided to take matters into their own hands

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
My ticket says "doors open at 7, show at 8" but noooooooo they start the show at 7:30 and I miss most of Exmortus' set.

gently caress YOU WARFIELD!

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

what did you think of this comment i made

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

sadly i don't know many thai metal bands at all, the one i most like is melodius deite who sound like galneryus + dark moor + symphony x so... totally not the same thing

Surrender of Divinity were pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyAkoyPWiWY, Zygoatsis might be cool too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMRyd0pGq68

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

the st anger snare adds minimum 35% more ignorance to the slam riffs

also the reason why so many of those bands come from indonesia or south america is because they all got tired of asking in youtube and facebook comments every band on earth to come play their countries so they decided to take matters into their own hands

the ignorance is off the charts *artifacted jpg of papa het shopping with his family in cargo shorts*

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

comes along bort posted:

I was under the assumption that a lot of metal bands make serious money in South America. Like bands who would draw 2-300 people here would draw several hundred to a few thousand in Brazil or Argentina. I hear the metal scenes down there are pretty big and vibrant.

I'm not really a big fan but there's a reason bands like Annihilator play only European festivals and do South America runs. It pays off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

yet for some reason brutal death bands who use intensely guttural styles, like wormed, don't have the same stigma

it's cool how genre names can inform someone's enjoyment of something more than the actual musical content

Phlegeton is really in his own category of weird vocal poo poo but I do find squeals annoying coming from, say, the guy in Benighted. It's really the only harsh vocal trick that actually bothers me.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Nice stuff, a bit more melodic than I'd expect given the cover. Builds up to a very good riff at the end. I admit that black metal isn't a genre I spend much time with recently, but that was fairly engaging, thanks.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

bolt thrower & grand belial's key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GPFduVKuEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZewn6si250

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Chromatic posted:

I was under the assumption that a lot of metal bands make serious money in South America. Like bands who would draw 2-300 people here would draw several hundred to a few thousand in Brazil or Argentina. I hear the metal scenes down there are pretty big and vibrant.

I'm not really a big fan but there's a reason bands like Annihilator play only European festivals and do South America runs. It pays off.

The reason bands get huge crowds is because there are large scenes which don't get that many tours going through. I have seen some bands more in the last year than those cities will see in my lifetime.

Large crowds do not also mean large money - most bands will modify their fee based on the economy of the area they are playing, and realistically, there is a cap on how much you can charge for a ticket (frequently they charge less than half the price a band might get in the USA).

And of course, there's plenty of other reasons a band might want to spend some time losing sleep in South America.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

Nice stuff, a bit more melodic than I'd expect given the cover. Builds up to a very good riff at the end. I admit that black metal isn't a genre I spend much time with recently, but that was fairly engaging, thanks.

Unfortunately the band is on hold probably permanently because their vocalist got stabbed to death by an insane guy.

The Clit Avoider posted:

The reason bands get huge crowds is because there are large scenes which don't get that many tours going through. I have seen some bands more in the last year than those cities will see in my lifetime.

The scene here is sort of like this except it's also not very large

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

A human heart posted:

Unfortunately the band is on hold probably permanently because their vocalist got stabbed to death by an insane guy.

I knew that band name looked familiar.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Clit Avoider posted:

Large crowds do not also mean large money - most bands will modify their fee based on the economy of the area they are playing, and realistically, there is a cap on how much you can charge for a ticket (frequently they charge less than half the price a band might get in the USA).

And of course, there's plenty of other reasons a band might want to spend some time losing sleep in South America.

The bigger bands charge about what they would in the US or Europe. Or often they'll have a super cheap ticket and a ridiculously expensive one.

Gamma Nerd posted:

what did you think of this comment i made

Chromatic posted:

A lot of older bands largely do fest dates these days, it's pretty easy money. From a dozen fly-in shows you can make as much if not more than you would trekking across a continent on your own for two months.

But even that's kinda hit the saturation point and plenty of fests are shutting down since their margins are pretty small, even with corporate backing.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 21, 2016

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

H13 posted:

Just in case the above link gets taken down, here's the official version with film clip and lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvXB-Vwnco

It's loving awesome.

The riff at 1:04 is Blood Mountain Mastodon as all hell.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gamma Nerd posted:

there's actual harmony at 2:45. meshuggah are dissonant and atonal to a fault.

Can this be the new thread title?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
:shrug: i don't see what's so funny about it, meshuggah are about as atonal as you can get in metal and most djent really isn't

yeah they play some chromatic progressions but you'll never see harmony or use of major keys (barring Straws Pulled At Random)

overall, meshuggah are intentionally repetitive and purely rhythmic. i think "I" is the clearest example of this, like, that goddamn opening section where they sound like the CD is skipping. djent bands don't sound like that - not nearly as inhuman or cold or bleak.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 22, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eh, maybe it's just me, but it just came across as overly pretentious to me. Happy to be wrong though.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I tend to write like that unconsciously. It's like the text version of resting bitch face. I can will myself to not write so stuffy, but it's hard.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

david crosby posted:

what are y'all gonna wear for MDF. I'm gonna wear a Gorguts shirt, a Pseudogod shirt, and probably one of the fest shirts from previous years.
Probably Mgła, Slough Feg, Manilla Road, and Nokturnal Mortum, maybe Necromantia

Oldstench posted:

Can't believe I"m doxxing myself

Haha, Matt is the best

edit: from 2 years ago:

https://twitter.com/kuujjuaq/status/471161486513958912

het fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 22, 2016

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
...Venom speedo? False spotted.

vvvv :v:

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 22, 2016

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

A TURGID FATSO posted:

...Venom speedo? False spotted.

lol yeah I only realized after I linked that that I had misidentified it

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Former Megadeth drummer Nick Menza just passed.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Well today sucks. Met him after my very first concert

Great affable guy who didn't mind chatting with a bunch of teenagers in the middle of a goddamn ice storm.

gently caress :(

stab fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 22, 2016

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
No Rust In Peace Reunion I guess :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWo_OQ6O7vk

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Really sad about Menza but I hear he was really into speed and stimulants for a long time. I remember photos from early to mid 2000's had him looking really run down.

If I was Mustaine I'd be getting regular checkups on my heart and get really into aerobics.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chromatic posted:

Really sad about Menza but I hear he was really into speed and stimulants for a long time. I remember photos from early to mid 2000's had him looking really run down.

If I was Mustaine I'd be getting regular checkups on my heart and get really into aerobics.

Dave Mustaine is going to outlive every member of Metallica by the power of sheer spite

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've heard that in Indonesia the death metal scene is so huge that it's almost mainstream

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Saw Buckethead last night. It was about what I expected (owned)

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 24, 2016

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you go you need to book your hotel as early as possible. i waited too long and booked my early july last year, and there were some out of rooms already.

This. These days I typically book my hotel the year before. This will be my 8th year in a row.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Oh good :black101:

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've heard that in Indonesia the death metal scene is so huge that it's almost mainstream

It helps when your country is run by a big Napalm Death fan.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Caught Megadeth at a fest last night, they put on an alright show. Did a moment of silence and Dave took a bit of a break to compose himself, it seemed. At the end he left with an "I love you" to everyone and it was p. heartfelt.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I should also mention that I went with my mom so she could see Collective Soul / Shinedown and I dragged her to Ghost for a laugh. I kinda liked it. The singer sounds like that chef from Sesame Street

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Nice. I'll be at the Austin show.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Huh, that reminds me, I'm actually surprised metal artists don't appropriate Beksinski's art more often, it's perfect for this genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
No kidding. The only one I can even recall offhand is Leviathan's Verrater comp, which needless to say is wicked.

A google search only turns up something by Antestor and some Black Twilight band I'd never even heard of, Ashdautas.