Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Shiki Dan posted:

Looks really great.
Although I'm a little worried about how much damage max mode combos do for only 1 meter, but at least it won't be 40-second combos like in KOF 13.

How anyone could want to play SF5 about seeing this game in action is beyond me.

Well it's sort of ugly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Shiki Dan posted:

How anyone could want to play SF5 about seeing this game in action is beyond me.

You gotta step back and remember that like, 80% of SF's target is not fighting game players/entry level players. If you're not super into things fighting game trailers are pretty much indistinguishable apart from the most superficial poo poo.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Night Blade posted:

Well it's sort of ugly!

i didn't notice this until now

but ken's hand is clipping through his jacket

how unsurprising

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

As a head's up for anybody looking on the Mizuumi wiki for Koihime info, the information there is accurate for the original Koihime, but Koihime Enbu is an updated version. The pages for the new characters don't have any information, and some of the information for the old characters is no longer accurate, more for some characters than others.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

anothergod posted:

Yes. It's Zelda x Street Fighter. We're showing off the multiplayer version. Right now there's 1 arena, but we're hoping to have another 2 by Memorial Day Weekend.

https://interdimensional.itch.io/super-combat-jr-ii

That's the itch.io page. There's a trailer and some gameplay vids. Check it out. We're in it for the long haul, so check it out.

I'm sorry, I don't get your game at all, but best of luck to you. Also, the music in the trailer is cool.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

If anybody wants to beat me up in Last Blade 2 I'm trying to learn it, just put time into it for the first time yesterday. I'm on Fightcade right now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hobojim posted:

If anybody wants to beat me up in Last Blade 2 I'm trying to learn it, just put time into it for the first time yesterday. I'm on Fightcade right now.

i'm the dummy waiting for the ps4 release tuesday to pay more money and have fewer opponents

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm the dummy waiting for the ps4 release tuesday to pay more money and have fewer opponents

I had no idea it was getting a rerelease, I'm just in an internet tournament for it tomorrow and realized I had never actually played it. Good times.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_6HY0wdQw

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Cool.

Now come beat me up and teach me how to not suck because I keep getting wrecked by Chileans using moves that don't look like overheads but apparently still hit overhead.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
So is the 3ds port of Street fighter 4 any good? Also are there any other fighting games for the 3ds other sf4 and smash?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's good if you like hitting a single button to do sonic boom

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

Mr.Flibble posted:

So is the 3ds port of Street fighter 4 any good? Also are there any other fighting games for the 3ds other sf4 and smash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0tuVgHJZg

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The 3DS has an old port of Blazblue, dream match sort of collections for both Dead or Alive (a really good one, surprisingly) and Tekken (with an oncart movie for, uh, people who care about Tekken story?), and the aforementioned SF4. The SF4 is a good port with a still surprisingly existing online community, but nobody here would take it seriously because of the touchscreen shortcuts that otherwise break the game entirely. It's still fun for whatever that is worth.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Night Blade posted:

Well it's sort of ugly!

KOF XIV looks like a game done on a really tight budget. SFV looks like a game that started with a big budget then had it pulled and was forced out the door, which is why some models and animation look fantastic while other looks like awful and half finished.

Shiki Dan posted:

I've always preferred Street Fighters pacing and I've never really enjoyed KOF whole 'pick 3' thing. If its got good online I'll still probably pick it up though (if it comes out on PC that is)

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 22, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

new KoF has 3v3 team battles for six players. gonna be a lotta hate mail sent via psn. good times.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

General Morden posted:

i didn't notice this until now

but ken's hand is clipping through his jacket

how unsurprising

Everyone clips through their everything in this game, especially on the character select, Laura's hair, Fang's collar, Birdie and his chains.

Good luck unseeing those now.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Lord Chumley posted:

Everyone clips through their everything in this game, especially on the character select, Laura's hair, Fang's collar, Birdie and his chains.

Good luck unseeing those now.

i already knew about those but thanks

the only reason i noted it for ken was because everybody (myself included) was busy focusing on his ugly mug

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hobojim posted:

Go ahead and add me on steam. It's been a while since I've played the game at all, but the basics are fairly simple.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/inthesto

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anothergod posted:

Yes. It's Zelda x Street Fighter. We're showing off the multiplayer version. Right now there's 1 arena, but we're hoping to have another 2 by Memorial Day Weekend.

https://interdimensional.itch.io/super-combat-jr-ii

That's the itch.io page. There's a trailer and some gameplay vids. Check it out. We're in it for the long haul, so check it out.

I appreciate that you guys are actually trying to build something, get it in front of players, gather feedback, etc. So not having played the game, take this with a grain of salt, but here's how I first felt upon seeing it:

The graphics style is kind of poisoning the readability of the whole game. It feels like you guys wanted to do something stylized and pseudo-retro, but didn't want to commit to doing full 2D sprite animation because it's hard and time-consuming, so you went with this isometric voxel thing instead. The thing is, every character just looks like a blob of blocks; you can't even tell what direction they're facing until you see them perform an action, and those actions aren't easy to understand. The generic dynamic lighting engine clashes even harder with that style; it washes out the colors and doesn't fit the neo-retro voxel vibe. This lack of cohesion communicates low production value to the player, whether they consciously realize it or not. It makes the game look "cheap," and it has functional implications for gameplay.

This carries beyond the characters as well. I have no idea what the items assigned to the buttons in the UI are; I can't tell what the icons for the stages in stage select represent. I don't know why giant functionless coin things fall from the sky when a round ends, other than "we had access to a physics toolkit and we wanted to play with it." It still feels very haphazard and game-jammy, and if you guys are trying to move beyond that and make it a real title, you need to rethink how you would've built the game if you weren't just trying to get something done in 72 hours or whatever.

There are also a lot of other indie titles with the same concept as yours, many of which have been featured at Evo and other fighting game tournaments in the past. TowerFall, Treasure Arena, Arena Gods, Samurai Gunn, and many others do the same thing, but with their own cohesive spin on the formula. Figure out why yours is different and build around that.

(If the answer is "Ours is voxels w/ physics," then go all the way with it: have characters explode into a pile of blocks when they die, come up with cool weapons or powerups that explore that more, commit to refining the art style to be readable rather than using an out-of-place lighting engine and badly translated pseudo-Zelda sprites, etc.)

Good luck at Combo Breaker. My experience at Evo was that people are pretty willing to engage with new competitive games, so it's a really good audience to try it out with. Basically if you aren't attracting a lot of attention there, you'll be hard-pressed to do it anywhere else.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I can't get past the visuals. Low-fidelity voxels are awful even at their best and this... isn't their best. At the very least it needs a lot of silhouette and palette work to make sure any of the characters look like anything, and more than two frames of animation for any given action would certainly help.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for a second i thought thosel ast two psots were about kof, lol

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

inthesto posted:

Go ahead and add me on steam. It's been a while since I've played the game at all, but the basics are fairly simple.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/inthesto

Added, thanks. The tournament was today, I came 4th despite only playing the game for two days or so. There weren't many people who knew what they were doing.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Brosnan posted:

I appreciate that you guys are actually trying to build something, get it in front of players, gather feedback, etc. So not having played the game, take this with a grain of salt, but here's how I first felt upon seeing it:

The graphics style is kind of poisoning the readability of the whole game. It feels like you guys wanted to do something stylized and pseudo-retro, but didn't want to commit to doing full 2D sprite animation because it's hard and time-consuming, so you went with this isometric voxel thing instead. The thing is, every character just looks like a blob of blocks; you can't even tell what direction they're facing until you see them perform an action, and those actions aren't easy to understand. The generic dynamic lighting engine clashes even harder with that style; it washes out the colors and doesn't fit the neo-retro voxel vibe. This lack of cohesion communicates low production value to the player, whether they consciously realize it or not. It makes the game look "cheap," and it has functional implications for gameplay.

This carries beyond the characters as well. I have no idea what the items assigned to the buttons in the UI are; I can't tell what the icons for the stages in stage select represent. I don't know why giant functionless coin things fall from the sky when a round ends, other than "we had access to a physics toolkit and we wanted to play with it." It still feels very haphazard and game-jammy, and if you guys are trying to move beyond that and make it a real title, you need to rethink how you would've built the game if you weren't just trying to get something done in 72 hours or whatever.

There are also a lot of other indie titles with the same concept as yours, many of which have been featured at Evo and other fighting game tournaments in the past. TowerFall, Treasure Arena, Arena Gods, Samurai Gunn, and many others do the same thing, but with their own cohesive spin on the formula. Figure out why yours is different and build around that.

(If the answer is "Ours is voxels w/ physics," then go all the way with it: have characters explode into a pile of blocks when they die, come up with cool weapons or powerups that explore that more, commit to refining the art style to be readable rather than using an out-of-place lighting engine and badly translated pseudo-Zelda sprites, etc.)

Good luck at Combo Breaker. My experience at Evo was that people are pretty willing to engage with new competitive games, so it's a really good audience to try it out with. Basically if you aren't attracting a lot of attention there, you'll be hard-pressed to do it anywhere else.

I was always super confused when people said that the graphics hurt the readability of the game because to me the graphics are *key* to reading it. The voxels float around your character based on the direction you're aiming. Without the voxels floating around the player you would have no idea which direction the player is directing or aiming. Think Nuclear Throne but 3D.

But then I watched the trailer and hilariously that's totally what it looks like. To be honest, I'm not worried about readability in motion or at a demo- check out the long plays. We've also showcased the game at a ton of places and no one has problems with player direction. If a player sits around for a couple hours at #CB2016 and still has problems with understanding the aiming, we'll rethink how we feel. I am hoping that a bunch of players are fine with it and tell everyone who aren't fine with it to get better. The whole *git gud* mentality is AOK for me in that one particular scenario. It's a little like Super Monkey Ball in that we don't hold hands for analog directions, so if you're not able to figure that out there are weapon options out there that will help you with bad aiming.

Our *gimmick* is that there are a ton of options for creating your character. You can make heavy tanky characters or glass cannons, obviously, but its the details that matter. Sometimes I will drop the telescope and pick up a second quiver of arrows. Every weapon has an adjacent weapon and tweaking that tweaks your play style very slightly. A lot of new players will opt for lots of bombs on the slow 8 slot character. Baiting bombs is almost as great as keeping them out of range with a trident or lance or sniping them bows. Figuring out how to still kill someone else while using bombs is even better. To be honest when I saw Arena Gods I thought they were pretty close to our concept and marked them down as a competitor. I am hoping they're going to show at Combo Breaker because I really want them to succeed and kick rear end. And thanks for reminding me about competitors! There's a dude on TIGSource that's making a game called Kerfluffle and I'm hoping he's there, too.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback. I don't think you're wrong at all - I definitely thought you were until I really looked at the trailers - but I can see how it can be read that way now. To be honest, we're trying to have no HUD whatsoever, and that's a design goal on *me* and my ego.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

you keep claiming that your game contains a bunch of poo poo "that makes it better totally guys for real" and I haven't seen any of this stuff

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
clarity is the single most important visual aspect of a competitive game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anothergod posted:

To be honest, I'm not worried about readability in motion
this game is going to be rear end

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is cabbagepots back? are we talking about gigamaidens again?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, with characters that big, you'd be able to read them pretty easily

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
but it's such a hard read though

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anothergod posted:

But then I watched the trailer and hilariously that's totally what it looks like. To be honest, I'm not worried about readability in motion or at a demo- check out the long plays.

Unfortunately my feedback came after watching one of the long play videos (since the trailer communicated almost nothing to begin with, so it wasn't really useful for seeing how the game works).

A game this simplistic does not get an excuse for not being able to tell what's going on visually, and visual readability/clarity is a completely different variable from player skill that is always, always important. The complex systems and interactions in a game like Dota take hundreds of hours to really get good at, but I can tell immediately that my dude is a dragon and your dude is a wizard on a horse and that I am spitting fire on you. Why can't I tell this when I look at your game?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i wonder what all of the most popular competitive pc games have in common.

*studies intensely*

musta just got lucky.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

voxels are like only an appropriate choice when they facilitate gameplay, like, minecraft doesn't use those things because of how they look

so why the christ are you using voxels

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

NecroMonster posted:

voxels are like only an appropriate choice when they facilitate gameplay, like, minecraft doesn't use those things because of how they look

so why the christ are you using voxels

its cheap

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
and theres nothing wrong with going "hm we dont have a budget for a thing, we'll just have to make do", but i think something like very minimalistic 3d models with strong colors and borders would have done a much better job. necropolis and superhot being good examples (though still probably out of range)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
man, can you imagine a deathmatch version of devil daggers?

I ask because I cant.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Harsh crowd! I'm going to hide in my computer hole until Combo Breaker now! Laaaters.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

any chump with a copy of blender can whip up some super low res solid body like chess piece things in a minute that wouldn't functionally cost anything different (because it cost 0) that would be a hojillion times easier to read

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

anothergod posted:

Harsh crowd! I'm going to hide in my computer hole until Combo Breaker now! Laaaters.

criticism tends to be pretty harsh and fighting games (or I guess competitive games in general) often breed some game design obsessed mother fuckers.

good luck at combo breaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Koihime Enbu is cool, death to anime.