Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thirty people are ill with frostbite and/or altitude sickness. Rob Gropel, widower of Dr. Maria Strydom, is injured and making the descent.

Of the Seven Summits, how do those rank in difficulty?

I can't speak for Denali or Ararat, but I've done Kilimanjaro and a friend who climbed with me has done Aconcagua as well. As long as you're reasonably fit and take proper acclimatisation precautions (climb high, sleep low, take it slowly etc) it's pretty easy. Summit day on Kili is about 15 hours of walking (7 hours from high camp -> summit, 3 hours back down, then another 5 hours down to the low camp) but the 7 hours uphill is just trudging up a moderately steep hill in the dark.

You don't need crampons or safety lines or anything like that, so yeah. Easy mode, like others said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
When I was first introduced to Snapchat, and someone explained the concept to me, I felt bad that apparently market forces conspired to encourage the development of an app with which to send dickpics.

That said, I just reinstalled that app and the videos are unremarkable. I'll be happy to let you all know if you need to install it desperately at some point.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Call me old but an app that deletes your poo poo sounds retarded as gently caress. Yes yes life is full of ephemeral fleeting experiences and that's well and good and also sounds like gay millennial poo poo

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
It doesn't delete it, it all gets stored in a billionaires bunkers somewhere. Endless, limitless pictures of ugly penises

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Plus now you can give yourself a mustache or a silly hat in real time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've been sending the everestnofilter guys dick pics on the reg in order to bolster their spirits.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FrankieGoes posted:

I've been sending the everestnofilter guys dick pics on the reg in order to bolster their spirits.

I'm sure seeing a penis that small and knowing you're yet bigger despite the elevation and cold shrinkage would bolster spirits :v:

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Prettz posted:

i'm not installing some human being app just so i can look at pictures on a screen so tiny it fits in my hand.

:same:

Someone who did install that garbage, please screenshot them when they collapse on the ground and have to take a selfie before they die. tyia

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dead Precedents posted:

Someone who did install that garbage, please screenshot them when they collapse on the ground and have to take a selfie before they die. tyia

#yolo #nopainnogain

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When I made #Everest I didn't mean to make a documentary but I'll take it!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

old men yell at app

everest furthers its goals

garish bodies rest

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Everest no filter
Last thing my dying eyes see
Ten snapchat dick pics

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Uh,You did it wrong
Everest three syllables
Your haiku sucks dicks

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Do the classic haiku thing and remove a syllable by apostrophe

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Dead Precedents posted:

please don't forget to put a cowboy hat and mustache on them!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The no filter guys mentioned having to boil water because no other team uses poop bags.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Eh, I'll just poo poo in this camp that never gets cleaned.

Edit: I sometimes forget that other people don't follow mountain tragedies like I do. There's a post on reddit about the vegan lady who died and people refuse to believe that the "death zone" is a real thing.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 23, 2016

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I Greyhound posted:

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2016/05/21/everestlhotse-2016-may-21-summits-frostbite-deaths/

Everest 2016: If the Mountain doesn't get you, the Profound Diarrhea will.

thanks for "rescuing" me while i'm trying to make history, rear end hole. :rolleyes: it's real cool that you assume just because my dookie is spraying everywhere that there is a problem

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

a messed up horse posted:

thanks for "rescuing" me while i'm trying to make history, rear end hole. :rolleyes: it's real cool that you assume just because my dookie is spraying everywhere that there is a problem

first rear end in a top hat to be spewing poo poo out of both ends at the same time to scale.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Drrrrr drrrrr drrr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

i'm not installing some human being app just so i can look at pictures on a screen so tiny it fits in my hand.

Exactly.
Can't they just tweet the photos like an adult ?
I'm worried you might be on the pedo spectrum if you use snapchat and are over 17

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A Melbourne university lecturer who suffered altitude sickness and died on Mount Everest was being looked after by what some climbers have described as one Nepal's cheapest and riskiest trekking companies.

Dr Maria Strydom died on Saturday on her way back down the world's highest mountain with a Sherpa after failing to make the summit.

Tour company Seven Summit Treks said the tired and weak 34-year-old died at an altitude of about 7,800 metres near Camp Four.

Another climber in Dr Strydom's group, Dutchman Eric Arnold, also died from altitude sickness on Friday after reaching the summit on his fifth attempt.

Guy Cotter from the New Zealand-based company Adventure Consultants said Seven Summit Treks was one of the cheapest trek operators on the mountain.

"A company like Seven Summits will have a base price of around $US25,000 and then people still have to add on additional costs for the trek to base camp for oxygen, for Sherpas and so on," Mr Cotter said.

"But then there's operators like us who are offering a full guided service, we charge $US65,000, the difference is that we have professionally qualified, experienced mountain guides."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-23/everest-death-sparks-concerns-over-safety/7437946

Larf

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Buy a brand new car, or buy the shittiest everest package and die. Hard to choose.

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
What's going on with those two Indians

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Another one.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/indian-climber-third-to-die-on-mount-everest-in-recent-days/article8635943.ece

quote:

An expedition organizer says an Indian climber who had fallen sick and was being helped down Mount Everest has died, becoming the third to die in recent days while attempting to scale the world’s tallest peak.

Wangchu Sherpa of the Trekking Camp Nepal agency in Kathmandu said on Monday that Subhash Paul died overnight as he was being helped down the mountain by Sherpa guides.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SynthOrange posted:

A Melbourne university lecturer who suffered altitude sickness and died on Mount Everest was being looked after by what some climbers have described as one Nepal's cheapest and riskiest trekking companies.

Dr Maria Strydom died on Saturday on her way back down the world's highest mountain with a Sherpa after failing to make the summit.

Tour company Seven Summit Treks said the tired and weak 34-year-old died at an altitude of about 7,800 metres near Camp Four.

Another climber in Dr Strydom's group, Dutchman Eric Arnold, also died from altitude sickness on Friday after reaching the summit on his fifth attempt.

Guy Cotter from the New Zealand-based company Adventure Consultants said Seven Summit Treks was one of the cheapest trek operators on the mountain.

"A company like Seven Summits will have a base price of around $US25,000 and then people still have to add on additional costs for the trek to base camp for oxygen, for Sherpas and so on," Mr Cotter said.

"But then there's operators like us who are offering a full guided service, we charge $US65,000, the difference is that we have professionally qualified, experienced mountain guides."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-23/everest-death-sparks-concerns-over-safety/7437946

Larf

note: she was a business lecturer. i don't think "academic" is the proper term here since it implies a smart person doing something of value was lost :mrgw:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I love that a trekking company or two have wasted no time slinging mud at other operators, despite the fact that every single one of them will have carbon copy waivers, "all due care taken but no responsibility".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So Everest has been open for what, a week? And already 3 dead tourists. If this was a real themepark it would be shut down already.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Picnic Princess posted:

So Everest has been open for what, a week? And already 3 dead tourists. If this was a real themepark it would be shut down already.

The climbing season is almost over. If it stays this way it will be seen as a good year.
Lets just hope the mountain is not on a crash diet and that it won't have a cheat-day before the season ends.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So the actual dead count is 4, right? I keep hearing 3 but it seems nobody is counting a sherpa that died? Or is it just 3 dead tourists?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Five I think, an Indian guy perished after he got ill on the mountain. Also two Indians are still missing so we might be at 7 already.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Maluco Marinero posted:

I love that a trekking company or two have wasted no time slinging mud at other operators, despite the fact that every single one of them will have carbon copy waivers, "all due care taken but no responsibility".

It's really the scummiest thing, all jokes aside. Tact is not a value for these outfits, as "professional" as they are; they consistently will take .01 microseconds to slander another outfit that makes the exact same risk decisions simply because it wasn't them.

It's like a car dealership showing up on the news at the scene of a wreck in order use the recent fatalities to highlight the importance of choosing a vehicle with improved safety measures, like Mercedes' (optional) collision avoidance system with auto-braking.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wasabi the J posted:

It's really the scummiest thing, all jokes aside. Tact is not a value for these outfits, as "professional" as they are; they consistently will take .01 microseconds to slander another outfit that makes the exact same risk decisions simply because it wasn't them.

I don't think this is necessarily true though. I may be wrong, but I think the more expensive operations will have things like more staff, better gear, more experienced guides/Sherpas etc. I'm not saying those people wouldn't have died if they'd climbed with a different company, but it's possible they would've had better odds of survival.

Remember that a guy who died in 2006, David Sharp, was climbing with the absolute cheapest available operator and had no proper gloves, no oxygen, no Sherpa guides and no radio either. The same company also lost three other climbers as well as two Sherpas in the same season.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Wasabi the J posted:

Just world fallacy or something I dunno. I mean, I come from a maritime background where disasters get examined, dissected and then water coolered for education of what not to do, and it's bad there but there is genuinely a disparity of experiences.

Here it honestly seems like everyone is in the same boat, pardon the pun, taking the same risks, selling the same product, so if anyone does the water cooler leaps to marketing how we would've done it differently and then person wouldn't have died, however often that's going to be dumb luck plus a less/more stringent selection policy. I doubt there's too much drift in how operators conduct themselves once they're on the mountain.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just curious how do the number of climbers compare to previous years?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone add the indian guy to the wiki

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Ok I did it.

I also added the Sherpa who died.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
If Indians want to die on a holy place while being physically challenged, why don't they do Ganges swimming marathons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Malaver posted:

If Indians want to die on a holy place while being physically challenged, why don't they do Ganges swimming marathons?

Oh ye of little faith!

http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=National_Ganga_River_Long_Distance_Swimming_Competition

http://h2openmagazine.com/news/relay-team-attempts-to-swim-the-length-of-the-river-ganges

:barf::krakken: