Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dominic Cooper (Agent Carter) is Jesse Custer, a preacher imbued with a mysterious power.

Ruth Negga (Agents of SHIELD) is Tulip, Custer's badass ex. Joe Gilgun (This is England) is Cassidy, Custer's best friend who happens to be a vampire.

Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg are your executive producers. They directed the first two episodes. Sam Catlin (Breaking Bad - Four Days Out, Crawl Space, Fifty-One) is your showrunner, AMC is your network and the show starts right now gogogo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HYPEEEED

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
This better not gently caress up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is that Arsenio Hall??

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And whoever's messing with the sign outside...

Could you stop?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

New Sharif in Town posted:

This better not gently caress up.

Critics seem to dig this show, but those who are familiar with the comics are quick to claim that it's not a faithful adaptation. They're also quick to point out that this isn't really an issue.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Sounds good then.

Open your rear end and holes to jesus.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
We can bring crossbows on airplanes now?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah so...

He was a really bad guy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is it racist to point out the black guy's weapon of choice was the spear?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Ruth Negga owns

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If that's the only cornkill in this show I'm going to be very disappointed but I'm loving the Zombielandish "Kill of the Week" contest they're setting up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You know, I wouldn't be upset that this is a completely different story than the comics if it were just some adopted property like Lucifer, but the fact that it's backed by self professed "die hard fans" and is literally a departure in EVERY WAY makes me sad. :(. Some changes I expect but this is just.... Bad. :(

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It's been awhile since I read the comics but yeah nothing is really hitting for me in this show and it seems kind of bad.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Is this any good

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

Is this any good

Surprisingly as long as you just ignore the source it's a semi enjoyable show with a good lead. Don't think I'm expecting to say the same about this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm pretty behind but its nothing special so far.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Medullah posted:

Surprisingly as long as you just ignore the source it's a semi enjoyable show with a good lead. Don't think I'm expecting to say the same about this.

Sweet. I can't watch Preacher until tomorrow so I'll watch Lucifer in the mean time. I'm bound to get at least one good show out of this situation.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
ARSEFACE

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I power re-read the entire series to prepare for this. So far it's....interesting...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"Tom Cruise has died." :laffo:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucckkkkkkk

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So far this has really been a hell of a cast.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo did the Google Guy just Kano himself?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AndyElusive posted:

Holy poo poo did the Google Guy just Kano himself?

that was a thing.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Well, at least Chris Hardwick gets another show out of it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Join us next week for the same episode!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Join us next week for the same episode!

Well, this week had the benefit of airing after a Walking Dead but then next week is a holiday weekend so they don't want to deal with that.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah didn't see that ending coming from a mile away.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm just glad the defining characteristics of the characters are still there from the books - Tulip's hatred of guns, Jesse abandoning Annville and not taking his preaching role seriously, Sheriff Root's hatred of his son and refusal to acknowledge him since his wife left them, etc.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't bad. A bit disjointed and confusing but at least it's something different.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
I seriously hope they're not planning on having them stick around town for awhile, because that's the impression I'm getting from this review of the first 4 episodes (doesn't spoil anything). One of my favourite things about the comic is that the whole thing is one big road trip. No mention of the main plot from the comic either but I have read that Saint of Killers and Herr Starr are supposed to show up within the first 4 episodes, so who knows.

futureproof fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 23, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Disjointed is certainly the word I'd use. It seemed to lack any kind of steady flow, that the characters were the only things really keeping it together. The Cassidy thing was fantastic though, Tulip's was not as good, but worked for the character. Though really, I don't need another show with people with accents being lovely to each other. Why is this such a popular setting for cable dramas?

I am glad the Voice was there, because honestly, all the promotional materials I saw had zero mention of anything supernatural outside of Cassidy. Though I'm not sure of what to think about the opening shots. It literally looked like the opening of MST3k or something.

Anyways, it has potential, as long as they get out of town asap and go on the road. I can live with not seeing the Grail or the Saint of Killers until season 2, but i just don't want to have to see more sweaty rednecks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The shows plot almost mimics Scientology with the thetans spirits inside people controlling them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

I'm just glad the defining characteristics of the characters are still there from the books - Tulip's hatred of guns, Jesse abandoning Annville and not taking his preaching role seriously, Sheriff Root's hatred of his son and refusal to acknowledge him since his wife left them, etc.

In the comics Tulip loving loves guns.

This show is not good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I know of Garth Ennis, and i've heard of Preacher before, but i've never read any of it, so i'll be going into this blind.

Whether or not something was one way or another in the comic is inconsequential to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonz posted:

I know of Garth Ennis, and i've heard of Preacher before, but i've never read any of it, so i'll be going into this blind.

Whether or not something was one way or another in the comic is inconsequential to me.

I'm not even weighing based on the source material, it's just poorly made television.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I really liked it. Definitely on board for the season.

Leonard Pine
Apr 20, 2008

Rhyno posted:

In the comics Tulip loving loves guns.

No, she's good at them and she knows them, but she doesn't love them. After the hunting accident and all.

This show was weird. I don't get the casting of Dominic Cooper at all. I don't mind him as an actor but he is probably the last person I'd think of to cast as Jesse Custer. I don't really mind change and departure but if they're going to stay in Annville, what is this show even going to be about? The whole point of the comic was that it was a manhunt.

Gilgun and the Tom Cruise joke were spectacular, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rudy's Irish accent is loving brilliant.

I'm all in.

• Locked thread