Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the sharing road with thread that I brought up "volvodashcam". Anyway, he got hit in his shiny new car and I don't really feel bad for him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbvx4vyY6w

Even if he isn't at fault, he could have avoided it if he didn't drive the way he does.

volvodashcam is a bad driver and whiny little baby who flips his poo poo if someone changes lanes without indicating 300 meters in front of him on an empty road at 2 am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Does anyone know anything about the "Armor All" ADC2-1004? It's on-sale on Woot! for like $35, and claims:

720 HD Rear View Mirror Dash Cam records audio and video while you are driving
Easy installation requires no tools and attaches to your existing rear view mirror with expandable rubber clips
Always records when your car starts and will stop recording when motion is not detected
Built-in 2.4" LCD color screen directly on a 12x 3" rear view mirror with microphone and speaker
Requires a Micro SD card up to 32gb (not included)

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

MikeyTsi posted:

Does anyone know anything about the "Armor All" ADC2-1004? It's on-sale on Woot! for like $35, and claims:

720 HD Rear View Mirror Dash Cam records audio and video while you are driving
Easy installation requires no tools and attaches to your existing rear view mirror with expandable rubber clips
Always records when your car starts and will stop recording when motion is not detected
Built-in 2.4" LCD color screen directly on a 12x 3" rear view mirror with microphone and speaker
Requires a Micro SD card up to 32gb (not included)

Everything I can see on it is "eh, it's alright" which is the same kind of review you'll get for a G1W which is slightly more expensive. For $35 it's probably worth a shot as an entry level dashcam,even if it sucks you're barely out any money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's an Aukey dashcam that's been on sale on Amazon the past few days that looks really interesting, especially in that it actually has separate +12V lines for always-hot and switched, and ditches the screen for a wifi app.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's an Aukey dashcam that's been on sale on Amazon the past few days that looks really interesting, especially in that it actually has separate +12V lines for always-hot and switched, and ditches the screen for a wifi app.

Gonna do some reading on this today.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

IOwnCalculus posted:

I assume you are referencing this one? I just saw that last night and was thinking about picking one up for my miata.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Negromancer posted:

I assume you are referencing this one? I just saw that last night and was thinking about picking one up for my miata.

That's the one, lifehacker has a coupon code to knock it down to around $57 I think. Looks super interesting and I've been happy with every Aukey product I've bought so far.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Mmicrocenter has a PNY 128GB SDXC card on sale for $31.99 down from >$100 until the end of the month. I know the Mobius has seen some reports of incompatibility with Class 10 cards, but I couldn't find a 6GB class 4 card in the local store's maze of flash memory and it's been working fine with the store brand class 10 card that's in it. This card also has the newer UHS bus so I have no idea how it'll work though from reading the descriptions of all the speed rating systems the camera should just treat it like a really big SDHC card. Will report back; looking forward to having 10 hours of drive time before that one video I forgot to pull off the card gets deleted.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's the one, lifehacker has a coupon code to knock it down to around $57 I think. Looks super interesting and I've been happy with every Aukey product I've bought so far.

I ordered one, might be able to install it next weekend.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I got a Mini 0806 and aside from the annoying unmarked buttons (what does what? nobody knows) it's pretty good, and it can hold an enormous size microsd card which is nice. Here is a boring sample video from me driving to work the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_L9azHnlgs&t=5s

e: loving hell my windscreen is FILTHY

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I got a Mini 0806 and aside from the annoying unmarked buttons (what does what? nobody knows) it's pretty good, and it can hold an enormous size microsd card which is nice. Here is a boring sample video from me driving to work the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_L9azHnlgs&t=5s

e: loving hell my windscreen is FILTHY

These are usually boring as gently caress, but the tour of central London is kinda nice. Thanks for sharing :D

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can you link the coupon?

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 15, 2016

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Techmoan reviewed the Vantrue N1 today and it looks pretty good. Small form factor, good video quality, great sound, 18 month warranty. It's on sale for $70 on Amazon using a code (VTX7JFGL) until the 20th. The Aukey that was just posted is the same price, but shoots in 60FPS. Seems to be getting poor reviews in regards to the wi-fi app. Gonna have to do some research on this

edit: n/m the aukey is cheaper with the code, but users seem to have more issues with it

AF fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 17, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nitrox posted:

These are usually boring as gently caress, but the tour of central London is kinda nice. Thanks for sharing :D

Can you link the coupon?

Code is here.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks. Order placed. Does anyone know if it'll work with this memory card? I ordered one anyway, price is hard to beat.

Oddhair posted:

Mmicrocenter has a PNY 128GB SDXC card on sale for $31.99 down from >$100 until the end of the month. I know the Mobius has seen some reports of incompatibility with Class 10 cards, but I couldn't find a 6GB class 4 card in the local store's maze of flash memory and it's been working fine with the store brand class 10 card that's in it. This card also has the newer UHS bus so I have no idea how it'll work though from reading the descriptions of all the speed rating systems the camera should just treat it like a really big SDHC card. Will report back; looking forward to having 10 hours of drive time before that one video I forgot to pull off the card gets deleted.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The amazon page says 32gb. Not sure if that's really the limit, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So I'd been wanting a Go Prof forever, but don't want to shell out that much.

Found a Activeon CX at Microcenter for $80 and looked nice, reviews are favorable so I picked it up and a 32GB SD Card.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Hometown footage. This is cellphone video, but it sure would be entertaining if everyone else involved had dashcams, I'd love to see what I assume is white car chasing black truck at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4gFmw4V1Ow

They're probably all just mad they live in Houston :shobon:

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

CommieGIR posted:

So I'd been wanting a Go Prof forever, but don't want to shell out that much.

Found a Activeon CX at Microcenter for $80 and looked nice, reviews are favorable so I picked it up and a 32GB SD Card.
I picked up a cheap Xaiomi Yi instead of a gopro and it's fantastic. I'm not sure about how it fares for dashcam use but as an action camera it's excellent.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

The amazon page says 32gb. Not sure if that's really the limit, though.

The instruction manual also says 32gb.

The Aukey arrived yesterday but I have to find a place to wire it up, since my TIPM box is basically full...they can't all be used, but I'm going to have to do some reading on what's really available. I also have to make it removable, which I'll probably do via velcro. I'm not taking pictures because there are a thousand online already. ACC, 12v, and ground all have blade fuses on the ends I'm not sure why ground is fused, or what the hell I'm supposed to do with that besides cut it off like everyone else seems to.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Since i got my dashcam almost nothing interesting has happened on the road, whereas before I was always seeing weird poo poo and wishing I had one.
This happened on the way to work this morning though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezAGjJjs8Ss

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Throatwarbler posted:

Sorry to interrupt your minute analysis of a minor fender bender, but let's get back to our favourite topc - bikes vs cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsKdjuWK2Yw

Bunch of bikes ride around, one punches a car's mirror, the driver of the car quite reasonably speeds up, catches the bikers and attempts to detain them, bikers quite reasonably gather around and start beating the hell out of the driver, driver's passenger emerges with pistol. Blyad Florida.

Christ, she would have been fully within her rights to shoot those shitbags. Do cops just let bikers get away with that poo poo in Florida?

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Hope someone can help me out here. I used to frequent this thread and even contributed some videos back in 2014, but got busy and put the dash cam away for a while. I had a visor mount that had the cam on the passenger side and it worked out well when I was single and rarely had a passenger. I'm now married and after seeing two accidents(one quite bad) in the last two weeks, I want to get my cam up and running again. I checked it out and everything works, but the visor mount is a no-go since my wife rides in my car often now. What I have is a Mobius from 2014 and am looking for the lens extension cable they used to sell for it so I can stick the lens in front of my rear view mirror and have the box elsewhere. It looks like there is a newer version of the Mobius(?) but I think mine is older. Is this the correct cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobius-ActionCam-8-lens-module-extension-cable-/381430157028?hash=item58cf024ee4:g:OW0AAOSwDFNWFGfi

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
We have hit peak russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ukMWtPXJYc

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My (third) G1W crapped out on me. When it gets power, it just turns on and stays on the power on screen, occasionally it'll start recording. When you unplug it, it keeps cycling between the power off and power on screens until the battery dies (which thankfully is only about 20 seconds now, since the battery is done).

I have no idea what's decent now, and I'm not buying another G1W. Admittedly I only skimmed the last page or two, but what's decent in the <$100 range these days? And will last more than ~6-9 months? 1080p or better is my only hard and fast requirement, it'd be nice if it used the same mount as the G1W (so I could keep using the mirror mount I have for it), and a built in display would be nice. Not required though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 23, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I still have my first G1W (non-capacitor) working in my beetle, and it's been two years in Phoenix (and shaded parking at home). But I also have a A-118C working in my bus since August when I picked it up. The quality between the two is pretty equivalent, though I like the stealth A-118 form factor more than the G1W.

I think that the ">$100" tech has moved on to WiFi uploads and apps and et cetera, but the ">$100" tech is pretty good with the A-118 and similar cameras. I think there are ones with better night sensors now compared to a year ago, but I'm happy with my install.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My A118 crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago. Luckily I was only using it as a rear camera, I've been using a Streetguardian SG9665GC as my front camera for a while, and it's been awesome so far. Kinda expensive, but the image quality and just overall quality is so much better.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's 3x the price of the A-118C, and it has the same form factor. Probably literally the same injection molding case supplier. Please (and no sarcasm on this) sell me on the $200 StreetGuardian. Because I Want to Believe (tm).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's the exact same case, all the window mounts and so on are 100% compatible. Despite that, the A118 is low-end/mid-range at best, while the SG is a high-end dashcam.

The A118 uses an older Novatek processor and an Aptina sensor, pretty standard for affordable cams. OK video quality, but nothing to brag about. The SG uses a newer more powerful processor and a Sony sensor (same as in the high-end cams), plus a much better lens. It has much better video quality, especially at night, where the difference is dramatic. The HDR function works great thanks to the newer processor, and helps night video a lot. There is also a difference in assembly quality. My A118 was kinda blurry on the left side of the image, the SG is perfectly clear and sharp across the whole image.

The Streetguardian guy is a regular at the dashcamtalk.com forums, so it's pretty easy to get support for any issues, and firmware updates are high quality and actually fix the issues they promise to fix. I know I could have gotten three A118s for the same price, but since dashcams are supposed to be set-and-forget, IMHO they need to be as reliable as possible and not crap out randomly like my A118 did. The SG comes with a GPS antenna and a bunch of extra mounts and other goodies in the box, too. It even came with a decent-quality plastic spudger for trim removal.

The button to lock the current video actually works on the SG, it never did on my A118.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My Mini 0803 has been great, only occasionally having problems of a hard lock on boot (which in a car with a normal exhaust, you would hear and resolve)

the 0805 and 6 are supposed to be slightly better but the more recent versions are all garbage according to dashcamtalk.

If I was to buy another it would be a street guardian.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My Panorama II / S is the predecessor of the Street Guardian units and is the same manufacturer and has been proven subjectively to be the most reliable on dashcamtalk forums. I've had mine since Dec 2013 without any of the stupid problems the cheap dashcams all have. The Pier 28 guy [US SG distributor] is a long time member on those forums too. It seems kind of ridiculous that people hand wave away the poo poo quality of the products in this thread. I mean if you want to find out it doesn't work when you need it or your card has been corrupted for months keep buying G1Ws and stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I got my father a Mobius, but I can't get it to auto-record on power on. Everything seems to work fine, except that it's just ignoring the setup file for how to operate for two things - the recording indicator, and the power on recording. It just goes into stand-by, and pushing the shutter button starts recording, but the recording indicator doesn't work (it is the same with the setting in the file for it as 0 or 1).

It shouldn't matter, since I've use both the setup program and manually edited the config file, but he's on an older Mac, not a PC.

Any ideas?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

some texas redneck posted:

My (third) G1W crapped out on me. When it gets power, it just turns on and stays on the power on screen, occasionally it'll start recording. When you unplug it, it keeps cycling between the power off and power on screens until the battery dies (which thankfully is only about 20 seconds now, since the battery is done).

I have no idea what's decent now, and I'm not buying another G1W. Admittedly I only skimmed the last page or two, but what's decent in the <$100 range these days? And will last more than ~6-9 months? 1080p or better is my only hard and fast requirement, it'd be nice if it used the same mount as the G1W (so I could keep using the mirror mount I have for it), and a built in display would be nice. Not required though.

Before you replace it, if you have another SD card lying around try swapping it. Both my old G1W and my newer K1S both had issues that I was sure meant the unit was bad but it turned out that it was the SD card that was borked. For some reason a bad card was messing up boot up or accessing menus, all sorts of stuff that doesn't seem like it would be card-related. Replacing the card got them both working normally again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Locator posted:

I got my father a Mobius, but I can't get it to auto-record on power on. Everything seems to work fine, except that it's just ignoring the setup file for how to operate for two things - the recording indicator, and the power on recording. It just goes into stand-by, and pushing the shutter button starts recording, but the recording indicator doesn't work (it is the same with the setting in the file for it as 0 or 1).

It shouldn't matter, since I've use both the setup program and manually edited the config file, but he's on an older Mac, not a PC.

Any ideas?

Actually, Scruff McGruff's advice may work for this problem too.

Also, try it with a different power supply. Some users found that their cigarette socket was putting out funky power when first turned on and it confuses the camera.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Holy gently caress, I had to watch that like four times to figure out the story line. Tangential question: how hosed is a car if someone bends the doors all the way forward like that?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Hometown footage. This is cellphone video, but it sure would be entertaining if everyone else involved had dashcams, I'd love to see what I assume is white car chasing black truck at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4gFmw4V1Ow

They're probably all just mad they live in Houston :shobon:

Haha, she just couldn't keep her mouth shut at all could she? She HAD to get the last word in.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo, shooting him just made him even more angry.

That dropkick on the rear window was pro as gently caress.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xsqXo8pW2c

bolind posted:

how hosed is a car if someone bends the doors all the way forward like that?

It would need extensive panel work at at best, or more likely a new door+hinges+quarterpanel.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

The Locator posted:

Any ideas?

Also try updating the firmware for the camera

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And on some cars it could twist the A-pillar, which is essentially a total situation.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

Before you replace it, if you have another SD card lying around try swapping it. Both my old G1W and my newer K1S both had issues that I was sure meant the unit was bad but it turned out that it was the SD card that was borked. For some reason a bad card was messing up boot up or accessing menus, all sorts of stuff that doesn't seem like it would be card-related. Replacing the card got them both working normally again.

yeah, try this. I know if I format my mSD card for my 0803 using disk utility on my mac that it will not work in the camera at all unless I format as FAT and then re-format the card in the camera. If I format as anything else on my mac and then try and use it, it wont record, and formatting the card in the camera never completes and hard-locks the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Scruff McGruff posted:

Card reads fine on 2 computers, a tablet, and my phone. Camera still has issues with other cards and even without a card (it's the version that has some limited internal memory, though since the USB port doesn't work for anything except power anymore, the internal memory is useless).

Even before it quit, the image had gotten really soft, and looking at the lens, it looks like there's some kind of film on the inside of it. I've also tried other power supplies. He's dead, Jim.

The Panorama S and the Street Guardian are both looking really good, just expensive. If I can find the Panorama S for sale anywhere I'll probably try to get one, otherwise I'll save up for a bit and get the Street Guardian. The Sony sensor kinda seals it for me. Until then I'll see if I can revive one of the dead G1Ws I have.