Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

imgay posted:

i got a degree in lumber and its cuttin wood

I need a new log, will trade services for new log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
JakeP can you offer an opinion beyond your hatred for my lumpenlists?

In exchange:

JakeP posted:

Only way I will be ocnvinced otherwise is if he actually goes out and explains why each person is scummier than the next, or he admits the lumpen list is a random mishmash of names and aplogizes for being so shameful

I don't have references, but one of my professors says that human beings are really bad at making comparisons involving more than three things at the same time (our preference is a simple paired (2) comparison). She told us this in the context of having to rate our fellow classmate's presentations from best presenter to worst presenter. So what she had us do was make a master list of paired comparisons, comparing EVERY SINGLE presentation to every other presentation, in which only one presenter between the two would get 1 point, and the other would get 0. Done properly, it naturally produces a ranked list, from the most to least points, in a way that is likely more accurate. I did not perform this when constructing my Lumpenlist, despite thinking about it at the time. Instead, I went through each player in the game in alphabetical order. First was AR, and I read all his posts. Next was AA, who I also read all his posts and decided was less scummy than AR. Then Azuth. So on. With each player, I read every post, then placed them. I did not compare them to literally every single player in my list, but instead did an approximation technique in which I determined how I felt about by reading their posts, then inserted them in an approximate position, THEN did comparisons only to the closest neighbors to see if I should shift up or down. That was for my first lumpenlist, the adjustment post was taking the old one and shifting based on new information, so less rigorous. Naturally any process, including this one, but also the better "only paired comparisons" process I mentioned previously, has error. That is the nature of measurement. Based on the process I described to you, you can decide if it fits your criterion for A Good Post, or if you determine it to be "A random mishmash". If you decide the latter, then fine, I apologize.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
to many words

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

to many words

That's probably the most words I'll ever give you, please read them.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
4 me :swoon:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
did you have to make your post in MLA format jeez louise

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
make a march madness style scum bracket

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo deadline in 8 hours.

JakeP posted:

did you have to make your post in MLA format jeez louise

Lol

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
then ill vote rarity or the winner of your scum bracket if i agree with it

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

make a march madness style scum bracket

drat that sounds fun, okay

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
you can use your lovely lumpen list as seeding

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You need reasons for each victory attached, or is the bracket enough?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
8 hours and we're wasting discussion on lists?

##vote jon joe because I just don't want him around anymore.

I mean drat dude.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

8 hours and we're wasting discussion on lists?

##vote jon joe because I just don't want him around anymore.

I mean drat dude.

Excuse me I'm talking to JakeP over here.

Rude.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

also happy to kill jake

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

jon joe posted:

You need reasons for each victory attached, or is the bracket enough?

maybe some brief highlights from each match, or at least the later rounds

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

also happy to kill jake

oh did you have another opinion to add this also too?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you're being very aggro in a fake way

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have a new laptop :toot:

What did I miss?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rarity posted:

I have a new laptop :toot:

What did I miss?

u almost got lynched

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

you're being very aggro in a fake way

explain, because i think you will be hardpressed to find a way that you can say I am wrong about that JJ lumpen list, and how randomly the names are thrown in there

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
but mostly my point was that you threw in a read as "also..." when you haven't been around all day and I don't know what that also was in addition to because its the first post you have made this calender day out of nowhere

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
which frankly makes it feel a little selfconcious and fake, like you wanted to post a read by saying as few words as possible and pretending it was somehow an addendum to another post that doesnt exist

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
and when is "aggro" ever a scum thing anyway? Aggressive posting is more likely to set people off and make them want to vote you than if I was trying to appear sympathetic and reasonable

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
not that I have been posting aggressively anyway (which is another reason oyur calling me out for such is fake)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Match Overviews
Absurd Revolver vs vector_to
A big contention right off the bat! We have a hedgemaster vs a lurker! It's amazing that vector_to even showed up the match!
Let's see the highlight shot of the match, made by Absurd Revolver:

Absurd Revolver posted:

This seems like an attempt to throw shade on what is simply a policy lynch.
Woah! A powerful hypocritical hedge, a three pointer! No substance, just weak spite against our incredibly amazing and beautiful referee, jon joe!
Meanwhile, vector_to was knocked out despite lurking due to overuse of this tactic. It look like he's lurking in every game, folks! Easy victory to AR!

PMom vs Azuth0667
Two lurkers, folks. The main difference here is Azuth is pulling the strong move of "no opinions so far"! And "confusion post!" Woah!
PMom is absolutely slaughtered by these moves, having only a weak showing of low-reasoning votes!
Azuth0667 takes it!

JakeP vs GulagDolls
How did GulagDolls even get to the playoffs? Dude's so town it hurts. This is due to his signature playstyle of fun jokes combined with scumhunting through calling people out on their bullshit.
JakeP is pretty town to, what with strong opinions and contributions, but he's a lot less likable. His only saving grace is his total misrepresentation and hatred of lumpenlists.
Wait, a surprise move?!

JakeP posted:

then ill vote rarity or the winner of your scum bracket if i agree with it
He's not going to vote jon joe anymore despite not giving a reason! Could he really be just blowing smoke? The audience loves smoke!
JakeP wins by not being GulagDolls!

imgay vs MG3
imgay is content-less, but pretty consistent with his town meta, while MG3 is just content-less.
imgay is gay!
Wow, MG3 not even lurking, but I've seen lurkers with more content than him!
It's a toughie, folks, but the audience likes the cut of MG3's low content and high post count! It's a new lurking strategy! A win for MG3!

Shadow0 vs Rarity
Is Shadow0 just a copy-cat of MG3? It's the exact same strategy, except he has a vote!
That vote makes it all, folks! It's one thing to have many posts and no content, it's another to bandwagon, too, then go back to no content!
Rarity has just been lying down on the floor the entire game. Is she okay? Medics? MEDICS?!
Shadow0 wins through strong play AND an opponent who can't play anymore.

Mayor Glowku vs Anomalous Amalgam
The last match of the round, gentle audience. We have the popular lurker strategy from Mayor Glowku, plus a no-content vote, vs Anonymous Amalgam.
Woah a series of strong scum plays from Anonymous Amalgam!
Wait, instant replay!
It looks like AA has a lot of townie content in addition to his scummy posts! Will this hurt his chances?
No!
It's a good thing we keep posts saved, though, so our incredible judge can look at them with a more objective eye. AA may make it through this round on the back of some suspicious timings and hedges, but his town-like legitimacy might be his downfall in a future round!
AA wins, but loses many fans!

Round 2 incoming!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
based on your explanation how does Rarity come out more town than shadow?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
god theres so many scummy players in this game some of the scummiest players didn't even make it to round 2

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
like rarity pmom glowku imgay and vector are all scummy as heck and all were eliminated first round

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

based on your explanation how does Rarity come out more town than shadow?

Rarity has a reason to be lurking, while Shadow0 had his suspicious bandwagon vote, with a bunch of no-content.

Shadow0 posted:

Rarity isn't being very much fun this game. :(
Why sign up for RuneScape Mafia if you've never even played RuneScape?
You should(n't) go play some RuneScape.
##vote Rarity

JakeP posted:

god theres so many scummy players in this game some of the scummiest players didn't even make it to round 2

I'm probably just bad at seeding.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

jon joe posted:

Match Overviews
Absurd Revolver vs vector_to
A big contention right off the bat! We have a hedgemaster vs a lurker! It's amazing that vector_to even showed up the match!
Let's see the highlight shot of the match, made by Absurd Revolver:

Woah! A powerful hypocritical hedge, a three pointer! No substance, just weak spite against our incredibly amazing and beautiful referee, jon joe!
Meanwhile, vector_to was knocked out despite lurking due to overuse of this tactic. It look like he's lurking in every game, folks! Easy victory to AR!

PMom vs Azuth0667
Two lurkers, folks. The main difference here is Azuth is pulling the strong move of "no opinions so far"! And "confusion post!" Woah!
PMom is absolutely slaughtered by these moves, having only a weak showing of low-reasoning votes!
Azuth0667 takes it!

JakeP vs GulagDolls
How did GulagDolls even get to the playoffs? Dude's so town it hurts. This is due to his signature playstyle of fun jokes combined with scumhunting through calling people out on their bullshit.
JakeP is pretty town to, what with strong opinions and contributions, but he's a lot less likable. His only saving grace is his total misrepresentation and hatred of lumpenlists.
Wait, a surprise move?!

He's not going to vote jon joe anymore despite not giving a reason! Could he really be just blowing smoke? The audience loves smoke!
JakeP wins by not being GulagDolls!

imgay vs MG3
imgay is content-less, but pretty consistent with his town meta, while MG3 is just content-less.
imgay is gay!
Wow, MG3 not even lurking, but I've seen lurkers with more content than him!
It's a toughie, folks, but the audience likes the cut of MG3's low content and high post count! It's a new lurking strategy! A win for MG3!

Shadow0 vs Rarity
Is Shadow0 just a copy-cat of MG3? It's the exact same strategy, except he has a vote!
That vote makes it all, folks! It's one thing to have many posts and no content, it's another to bandwagon, too, then go back to no content!
Rarity has just been lying down on the floor the entire game. Is she okay? Medics? MEDICS?!
Shadow0 wins through strong play AND an opponent who can't play anymore.

Mayor Glowku vs Anomalous Amalgam
The last match of the round, gentle audience. We have the popular lurker strategy from Mayor Glowku, plus a no-content vote, vs Anonymous Amalgam.
Woah a series of strong scum plays from Anonymous Amalgam!
Wait, instant replay!
It looks like AA has a lot of townie content in addition to his scummy posts! Will this hurt his chances?
No!
It's a good thing we keep posts saved, though, so our incredible judge can look at them with a more objective eye. AA may make it through this round on the back of some suspicious timings and hedges, but his town-like legitimacy might be his downfall in a future round!
AA wins, but loses many fans!

Round 2 incoming!

i hate you but i love this

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
also it sux how the lower brackets are 1 game closer to the final 2

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

jon joe posted:

Rarity has a reason to be lurking, while Shadow0 had his suspicious bandwagon vote, with a bunch of no-content.

I'm probably just bad at seeding.

fair enough

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

also it sux how the lower brackets are 1 game closer to the final 2

yeah, thems just the numbers, maybe I should add a loser's bracket so they can come fight the lower bracket winner for a spot?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

jon joe posted:

yeah, thems just the numbers, maybe I should add a loser's bracket so they can come fight the lower bracket winner for a spot?

nah its fine the summiest player should prevail either way, they just wont necessarily be matched against the second scummiest

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
jon joe best mafia post 2016

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rarity posted:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Your computer is back!

Hi Rarity!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jon joe posted:

Your computer is back!

Hi Rarity!

Hi jon joe!

I've been following along on my phone but it's hard to really get decent reads to stay connected to the game through that. Is there anyone in particular I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Hi jon joe!

I've been following along on my phone but it's hard to really get decent reads to stay connected to the game through that. Is there anyone in particular I should be looking at?

Myself, AR, and AA are probably your best bets.

If you have time, looking at both Jake and Pmom may be worth it.

• Locked thread