Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:five:

e: dogsnype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A while ago, I offered to be the Ben Lesnick to Solar Plebeian's Star Citizen. As part of the gag, I said I'd obsess over Space: Above and Beyond, to mirror Lesnick's obsession with a fairly crap piece of 90s sci-fi most people have forgotten about. As if to prove that any joke you can make about Star Citizen eventually comes true:
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/734795747279900672

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

A while ago, I offered to be the Ben Lesnick to Solar Plebeian's Star Citizen. As part of the gag, I said I'd obsess over Space: Above and Beyond, to mirror Lesnick's obsession with a fairly crap piece of 90s sci-fi most people have forgotten about. As if to prove that any joke you can make about Star Citizen eventually comes true:
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/734795747279900672

I thought you already had a SA account, Ben

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Popped in to the most popular Twitch stream. Literally the first thing I saw.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I love how, in the thumbnail, the Commando uniform trousers look like they have a shitstain where the head meets the rear end.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

G0RF posted:

robot space penis?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

G0RF posted:

which is to say

voltron's willy

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

I get the joke, but why is this guy's office space hospital levels of sterile? Nothing on the wall other than that big ugly work mural that's covered up. No pictures. Nothing on his desk. No mugs, personal items, pictures. It looks like it is either that guy's first or last day on the job.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

Man, looking at some of this concept art it's loving staggering that CIG went with the "G36 with no barrel and an alarm clock taped to the side" instead of the other concepts. It's really interesting how close a "future gun" can look to a modern day weapon while still being interesting simply due to subtle changes in the silhouette. If you look at these concept pieces for example (and these are arguably the most boring ones out of the whole bunch), you can pretty clearly guess which modern day weapons they are based off of, but the concept works themselves aren't insultingly bad. In fact I actually kind of like some of them. That's because on each there's at least one major feature that distinguishes the silhouette from that of the modern day version. The role of the weapon is immediately recognizable based off of knowledge the viewer already has, yet the weapon itself is clearly different and new in some way to the person looking at it. They're not offensively cartoony, they look reasonably useable, and while they're frankly incredibly boring, they certainly wouldn't seem out of place in a futuristic shootman game.

So why is this thing such an offensive piece of garbage?

A lot has been said about the fact that it's completely unuseable and covered in widgets that make little to no sense, and that's true. But there's two main things in my mind that make it one of the most offensive design decisions I've seen come out of Star Citizen yet (and that's saying a lot). The first is that the snub-nosed barrel combined with the oversized scope, stock, and grip make it seem cartoonish. It's a gun that looks like it should come as an accessory to a 90s action figure, and it's actually a little bit telling that I had to go all the way back to the 90s to find an example of such a dumb looking gun accessory. Modern day GI Joes and whatnot often come with accessory guns that are far less stupid than this piece of trash. The second main thing is that there's nothing (really) differentiating this from the silhouette of a gun we already have. Sure, the proportions are wonky and it has some kind of giant future scope, but those small details don't do enough to separate the basic shape from that of a modern day G36. In movies, shape and silhouette are important, but in games they can be the foundation of good design, and that design can go on to effect gameplay significantly. Possibly the best example of this is Team Fortress 2, where Valve's art direction led to some instantly recognizable (and fairly iconic at this point) characters. That wasn't an accident. Character design was purposely pushed towards those drastically different silhouettes to feed players instant information about who they were looking at and what they should do. Distinct character shapes were combined with distinct weapon shapes to make it an almost instant read and let players know whether the person they were looking at was someone they should fight or run from. Weapon design was based around setting the highest contrast between the weapon and the character at chest level - where other players would be looking - so that loadouts would be instantly recognizeable. It's bad enough that CIG's armor isn't inherently identifiable, but this gun has no basic features to distinguish it from either a modern day gun or any of the other weapons in CIG's nonexistent arsenal. Put together, it's such a horrendous design decision that it seems impossible that it was billed as sort of the "flagship weapon" of CIG's FPS experience, but here we are.

A good post.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Danknificent posted:

which is to say

voltron's willy

more like a Magic Wand

which is far from unrelated to robo-dicks, but the usual mode of operation isn't quite the same

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Danknificent posted:

which is to say

voltron's willy

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

i'm glad we've got some phallic imagery in here now

the thread was starting to feel a bit sissy to be honest

but now it's good

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just want to say thanks microsoft for not releasing a service pack for windows 7 and having to install 312 updates from scratch, then 41 for .net framework, and gently caress office...seriously. .

gently caress your windows 10 nag screens that aren't even supposed to be on anymore either, too.

With that out of the way, how about that dying through floors? The one weird trick to evade the space police.

paarp

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite:

I wonder if Max Leandre gets time-and-a-half for overtime, because the Frontier forums are on fire and he's doing his level damndest to piss them all out.

I'm not sure there's enough Star Citizen Koolaid left to pull that off, Max-- but best of luck!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/XImI6Lk.gifv

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

MoMa I'm genuinely curious, why do you even bother? Even the posters who don't think you are "Toast, CIG paralegal and shill" don't trust you. You're not changing the narrative of the thread in any way and the only consequence of your posting is the occasional "lol, toast is back" comment in Discord. Why do you bother lol?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

MoMa I'm genuinely curious, why do you even bother? Even the posters who don't think you are "Toast, CIG paralegal and shill" don't trust you. You're not changing the narrative of the thread in any way and the only consequence of your posting is the occasional "lol, toast is back" comment in Discord. Why do you bother lol?

Diversion.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I keep saying it: apex predator takes no poo poo.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Someone on the Frontier forums linked to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTs9-jMwHqk

Some disillusioned backer voices some very reasonable concerns about Star Citizen's development. The comment commandos do their thing of course

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

"No they weren't... As in the video I linked dated 26th May 2014 Roberts says:

"Double precision, I don't know, we haven't had that specific discussion. It is a pretty big decision because the whole engine works in 32bit, not double and there's a fair amount of things we have to change for that. So I'm not sure.... Double is needed for a big space game but not necessarily for a first person."

Lucky he's not creating a big space game then....But then at some point after that - probably Autumn 2014 they decided to use it and rewrite the code. Doing this from the start was an apparent no-brainer."

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen, where defending the tutorial level being broken as a good thing!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

This is a great example of why artists should never render things on a black background. You can't see poo poo, and it messes up the balance of light/dark and even colors.

Neutral gray is where it's at, or maybe a low contrast gradient. I thought CIG artists knew what they were doing. Or maybe they do and they're trying to hide their work, I don't know.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005

Ayn Marx posted:

I don't think this is going anywhere:

Option 1: He's Toast or another CIG employee

He'll never admit it and continue to grasp at any defensive handhold available.

Option 2: He's a troll

He'll likely never admit it and will continue to enjoy playing a fake CIG employee with poor reasoning/communication skills

Option 3: He's a sincere Star Citizen fan

He's already spent somewhere between $1,000 to $20,000 on a pipe dream. This is how he justifies that sunk cost, by fighting the good fight as a lemming for the Crobbler. In 3 to 4 years he'll still be talking about the Best drat Space Sim Ever when the game releases with graphics that are 10 years old, and a very limited feature list.

I desperately hope that it is Option 1, because at least in that scenario he's getting paid for this poo poo. Additionally, he probably knows how terrible the game is and hasn't dumped money into Chris Roberts' fidelitous adventure: "Pledge Commander".

Achamp fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 23, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Achamp posted:

I don't think this is going anywhere:

Option 1: He's Toast or another CIG employee

He'll never admit it and continue to grasp at any defensive handhold available.

Option 2: He's a troll

He'll likely never admit it and will continue to enjoy playing a fake CIG employee with poor reasoning/communication skills

Option 3: He's a sincere Star Citizen fan

He's already spent somewhere between $1,000 to $20,000 on a pipe dream. This is how he justifies that sunk cost, by fighting the good fight as a lemming for the Crobbler. In 3 to 4 years he'll still be talking about the Best drat Space Sim Ever when the game releases with graphics that are 10 years old, and a very limited feature list.

I desperately hope that it is Option 1, because at least then he's getting paid for this poo poo. Additionally, he probably knows how terrible the game is and hasn't dumped money into Chris Roberts' fidelitous adventure: "Pledge Commander".

I mentioned this before, but Option 1 really is the least pathetic.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

KiddieGrinder posted:

This is a great example of why artists should never render things on a black background. You can't see poo poo, and it messes up the balance of light/dark and even colors.

Neutral gray is where it's at, or maybe a low contrast gradient. I thought CIG artists knew what they were doing. Or maybe they do and they're trying to hide their work, I don't know.

It's hard to tell where the stupidity ends and the incompetence begins; and where the incompetence ends and fraud begins

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Some disillusioned backer voices some very reasonable concerns about Star Citizen's development. The comment commandos do their thing of course

this is good.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Wow, what a toxic dink.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

These youtube comments have given me 110% of my daily dose of game development not understanding

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

KiddieGrinder posted:

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005

revmoo posted:

I mentioned this before, but Option 1 really is the least pathetic.

Actually I'm really hoping for Option 2. The internet is a great place for trolls. Even if he's not getting paid he's hopefully getting his rocks off. I have no problem with that, and it also means he hasn't given any money to scam artists.

If it really is Option 1 than I don't know what to say. I don't want to think about the lack of self-awareness required to come into a forum where we are talking about a company wasting money on frivolous poo poo, while you're being paid by said company to defend it's name on Somethingawful.com. I can only imagine the complete lack of self-respect you would have to have for that to be your job.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Every once in a while someone says how CIG has great artists and designers but I'm not seeing it. Their work isn't any good from a useability or mechanical engineering perspective, so it's not like they're being realistic. Which would be fine if you take it as an excuse to be stylish or distinctive, but they're not doing that either. All they're competent at is adding a lot of detail (a negative when you expect things to render in real time).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

KiddieGrinder posted:

Also that. That's another important note.

hey, thanks!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

AngusPodgorny posted:

Every once in a while someone says how CIG has great artists and designers but I'm not seeing it. Their work isn't any good from a useability or mechanical engineering perspective, so it's not like they're being realistic. Which would be fine if you take it as an excuse to be stylish or distinctive, but they're not doing that either. All they're competent at is adding a lot of detail (a negative when you expect things to render in real time).

What? WHAT!

THEY DID A BETTER JOB MODELING AGENT 47 THAN ANYONE EVER AND RWARRWARWRARWARWA

paarp

I seriously heard that on twitch once.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Achamp posted:

In 3 to 4 years he'll still be talking about the Best drat Space Sim Ever when the game releases with graphics that are 10 years old, and a very limited feature list.

I know that this is only a minor aside to the point that you are making, but I've always wonder about this: Given how fast graphical power progresses in the realm of computer gaming, and given how long Star Citizen is going to take to come out (let's assume that it actually comes out at some point, a big stretch, I know), how will Croberts react when his game launches a decade from now and looks like a last-generation console game?

Will he grin and bear it?

Or given his penchant for "fidelity" will he order another refactoring of the pipelines and redo everything yet again?

I'd say likely the latter, which is probably one of the main reasons why this game will never release.

It's funny when you think about it, because at it's very core CIG is constantly working against itself. The idea of having "the best graphics in the business" is absolutely counter to the idea of having a "living, breathing universe with hundreds of players and ships in the same instance at once." IF SC"s graphics were knocked down a peg a) ships would be faster to produce and b) the network would have an easier time handling the game, but due to Robert's passion for "fidelity" he's constantly trying to make an impossible game.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Say... is that our pal Ryan Archer's monogram in the bottom right corner?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MedicineHut posted:

Extract from the current ToS.

Does this mean that all CIG needs to do is basically update the "estimated delivery date communicated to you on the Website" to automatically enjoy another 18 months grace period attached to it afterwards?

What is the current common practice in cases where a user (for SC or other online services/products) decides not to accept an updated ToS? Does he or she get anything back at all?

A better question is what delivery date? Their TOS specifies a period of 18 months after "delivery date" before CIG has to release their financials but they stopped giving any delivery date a good while ago because they kept breaking it. That alone should make the TOS invalid even in the US.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sunswipe posted:

You know we joke about how so many of these people are on disability benefits for one reason or another? Consider the possibility that that is actually the case. Now think about why you play videogames: to entertain yourself doing something you couldn't do in the real world. You couldn't really go and fly a fighter plane in combat. You couldn't really go and single-handedly infiltrate a military facility, take down a squad of superhuman soldiers and destroy a walking nuclear battle tank. You couldn't really go and drive an Aston Martin round Leguna Seca. Videogames let you do those things. Now imagine that you're someone who has a long term disability. You've maybe never actually had a job. For these people, doing boring manual labour would be an exciting new experience rather than a tedious drudge that they seek to escape.

Of course, it could just be because they're loving mental.
Shitizens seem to place great value on any feature that mimics real life, but there's a reason why games either don't do most of this crap or they abstract it. I can understand the initial appeal of going through an airlock to get out into space because it's very...atmospheric, but it stops being cool real fast. Much like the "immersive" animations.

And stuff like grabby hands and manual cargo loading? gently caress. And these people complain that it takes to long to fly places in Elite?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

A better question is what delivery date? Their TOS specifies a period of 18 months after "delivery date" before CIG has to release their financials but they stopped giving any delivery date a good while ago because they kept breaking it. That alone should make the TOS invalid even in the US.

A better question is - what TOS?

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

1500 posted:

lol ya that turned ugly fast.

Got to love that Max Leandre, says you can't trust what CIG has said in the past because that was just marketing and hype, including videos of SM, yet you should definitely trust what CIG are saying now. Of course this is the same guy that said you should not judge CIG on its own history and anything that happened in the past does not count. Its really telling that the mods are not stepping in this time, normally they would have closed the thread or at lest handed out bans(reason I have not posted much in that thread, I keep getting band with out any explanation). Especially since one of the mods has stated that he is a fanboy of CIG and does not care if the game ever releases, and another has stated that he is fine with CIG scamming people as long as it helps them bring in money.

I wonder if the forum mods' inaction can be interpreted as an accessory to fraud?

• Locked thread