Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Coolguy will be along eventually to make a heartfelt post about how we do it all because we love video games and we love entertaining people, and that's all true, but despite my callous, terrible exterior, I totally agree.

I never made this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Coolguy will be along eventually to make a heartfelt post about how we do it all because we love video games and we love entertaining people, and that's all true, but despite my callous, terrible exterior, I totally agree.

I never made this post.

Sorry, it's quoted for all eternity.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Doctor Corvo's last experiment...

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 23, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
But the pointing guy is usually in the 2nd panel. These loss edits ate getting weird.

(dude looks baller with his smoke afro though)

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

Bootcha posted:

Doctor Corvo's last experiment...

this took me two days to get ... I am not proud of how much I laughed when I finally did

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Science Corvo is best at revenge too, I suppose. That is pretty fantastic.

Enjoyed lp quite thoroughly, even though I never played the game. Keep up the good work.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's a bunch more LP yet to go, but video games keep coming out and Coolguy has finally decided that maybe dying from work related stress is a bad idea.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Fortunately this week it's Roboky's turn!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Don't worry, the stabs will be on time and largely gratuitous!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
And I have Memorial Day off so I'm gonna use the found time to make sure my episode is also on time!

IT'S LIKE WE'RE ACTUALLY PLANNING THIS poo poo (we're not)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Makin' me work and poo poo.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Orv posted:

Makin' me work and poo poo.

Get back to work Orv.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Orv posted:

Coolguy has finally decided that maybe dying from work related stress is a bad idea.

I think I'd rather people think I died from work related stress than LP related stress.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

cokerpilot posted:

Get back to Science Orv.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Gender and Class Relations in Dunwall during the Time of Plague: A Case Study

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's one powerful kick. Mighty boot engaged. :stare:

Orv
May 4, 2011

cokerpilot posted:

Get back to work Orv.

I love making LPs but I also hate making LPs.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

That's one powerful kick. Mighty boot engaged. :stare:

It's like the Dark Messiah LP all over again!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I see the Outsider is beta-testing his Muscle Wizard character build.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
There was earlier discussion of how Dunwall's world was circling a metaphysical drain, and how Corvo's actions pull it up or push it in. Did I miss something that talks about that, or is that DLC? The ending seems to only speak of Dunwall itself, not the whole of the world.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Valgaav posted:

There was earlier discussion of how Dunwall's world was circling a metaphysical drain, and how Corvo's actions pull it up or push it in. Did I miss something that talks about that, or is that DLC? The ending seems to only speak of Dunwall itself, not the whole of the world.

It's this in-game book, as well as some other bits and pieces that imply the Dishonored cosmos is one of eternally getting hosed over on a planetary scale.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Heart says that if things go particularly bad everything in Dunwall will collapse into the void.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
When the only deity anyone has any knowledge of is full of imponderable whims and could by some interpretations be called squamous, you're not looking at a happy cosmological outcome.

By which I mean there is certain evidence to suggest the Outsider is a whale.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Of course the world getting flushed into the void could also be a metaphor for the collapse of civilisation as everyone knows it, just when they're on the cusp of a new age of invention brought on by whale oil and fevered Outsider dreams.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Given that the Void is a real place and there are other books that talk about people going Lovecraft style mad on witnessing it, it's probably a just real enough interpretation.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Weird thing about the Outsider is that he isn't evil or good, he's just bored and wants to see what you'll do. If you take your powers and use them for good, he's cool with it because someone using powers for good is a nice surprise. If you go around killing everything, that's okay too because it gives him a show.

I do like how all magic comes from a sentient being, though; it's why Sokolov can't do magic at all despite all the rituals he tries, because if the Outsider doesn't like you, he just doesn't like you and that's that. He's a force of nature that can't be tamed by men.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

Weird thing about the Outsider is that he isn't evil or good, he's just bored and wants to see what you'll do. If you take your powers and use them for good, he's cool with it because someone using powers for good is a nice surprise. If you go around killing everything, that's okay too because it gives him a show.

I do like how all magic comes from a sentient being, though; it's why Sokolov can't do magic at all despite all the rituals he tries, because if the Outsider doesn't like you, he just doesn't like you and that's that. He's a force of nature that can't be tamed by men.

Yeah, Sokolov is boring because he already has the world at his fingertips, there's nothing interesting about giving a guy who has power more of it. Giving the guy at the bottom of the food chain a why to climb to the top? Meshes with his own origin story pretty well.

Orv posted:

Given that the Void is a real place and there are other books that talk about people going Lovecraft style mad on witnessing it, it's probably a just real enough interpretation.

I can't believe you trust the talking heart full of clockwork and dark magic more than me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That heart is wise man, it has seen some poo poo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Well, not "seen", but you know what I mean.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fun fact: Walls of Light aren't actually powered by whale oil. Rather, they're powered by the blood of clowns.

HONK HONK

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dareon posted:

When the only deity anyone has any knowledge of is full of imponderable whims and could by some interpretations be called squamous, you're not looking at a happy cosmological outcome.

By which I mean there is certain evidence to suggest the Outsider is a whale.

i used to think this too, but then harvey smith revealed the backstory of the outsider on twitter, and it was a total loving letdown

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What is the actual backstory that's a letdown? Because I love the idea that he's a whale.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

i used to think this too, but then harvey smith revealed the backstory of the outsider on twitter, and it was a total loving letdown

I do remember there being some hints or whims that the social and infrastructural collapse of Dunwall directly had something to do with the wholesale slaughter of whales for their oil. That perhaps Samuel, a man of the sea, would know the whispers of haunting whalesong that drove men like him mad. That the small matter of regicide was an insignificant coincidence compared to the biblical judgement the whales were beginning to pass upon all of humanity, as the vengeful rattles of dying gods.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

What is the actual backstory that's a letdown? Because I love the idea that he's a whale.

I've talked about it in the videos, but he was a 15 year old orphan boy who was chosen by a cult who wished to merge him with the void, presumably because the previous denizen had finally been destroyed by the void and it inexplicably hungers for a new god every time it's finished snacking. Surprisingly, this ritual actually worked out and the Outsider became the new god-being of the void. It's his origins as a powerless young man forced into his strange new role as an inhuman entity of tremendous influence that makes him choose people who reject or are rejected/persecuted by authority and gives them a taste of his power to see what they do with it. The Overseers' hatred of him comes from a belief that he's a trickster god of some sort, though it's more that he just causes mayhem now and again in his long tenure as a result of granting people his power to see what happens. Harvey Smith referred to him as having human emotion, but inhuman perception.

After all, he might look and hold cordial conversations like a human being, but the Outsider is not a human and hasn't been one for over four thousand years.

There is a book that refers to him as a Leviathan, which is a name often given to undersea creatures of massive size such as whales, but the same book also admits that he appears as he has done with Corvo and will do with Daud. It's what he looked like before they made him a god, and what he will look like till he's swallowed by the void. It seems that it's less that the whales have a connection to The Outsider directly but perhaps more they have some manner of ties to the Void itself, and in that way shares a connection to him.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I would assume he's at least changed his clothes since then, because otherwise that is even more intolerable levels of cultural inertia if they had dapper buckle-clasp leather jackets 4,000 years ago.

I lose my immersion when cultures apparently stagnate for significant periods without either imploding or advancing. See also: Tamriel.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Dareon posted:

I would assume he's at least changed his clothes since then, because otherwise that is even more intolerable levels of cultural inertia if they had dapper buckle-clasp leather jackets 4,000 years ago.

I lose my immersion when cultures apparently stagnate for significant periods without either imploding or advancing. See also: Tamriel.

To be fair, Tamriel underwent an industrial revolution but regressed with the disappearance of the Dwarves.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

To be fair, Tamriel underwent an industrial revolution but regressed with the disappearance of the Dwarves.

To be fair to being fair: Tamriel also is probably better off without their elfish Dwarves because they were such dicks they make the high elves look like good neighbors in comparison. Exploring their ruins in Skyrim convinced me the best thing those sadistic jerks did for Tamriel was accidentally self-genocide themselves by poking at an Elder Scroll.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
See also : Star Wars the Old Republic.

I liked the games but goddamn, 3600 years before the OT and they already have all the tech? And inhabit all the lovely planets like Hoth and Tatooine?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Fathis Munk posted:

See also : Star Wars the Old Republic.

I liked the games but goddamn, 3600 years before the OT and they already have all the tech? And inhabit all the lovely planets like Hoth and Tatooine?

Admittedly Tatooine was colonized about a hundred different times throughout history for its mineral wealth. And then the colonies were lost because of the Raiders, the fact that the dust storms cause most of the mineral wealth to corrode rather quickly, or heatstroke.

I have no excuse for Hoth, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Everyone wanted to live in Cool World.

• Locked thread