Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Yaws posted:

I had no idea what they were talking about for the longest time. Guys like their weed :)

See also: Scooby Doo episode about getting high with a cool dog, The Wizard. 'Weed and videogames go together like PB&J'z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-20-the-doom-movie-missed-the-point-but-so-did-most-rival-games

Has WHM done Doom yet? It'd be perfect for them.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Corek posted:

Jesus this is perhaps the funniest one of all time.

This episode is legitimately incredible, i'm dying here.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

See you on set, Jon Snow, you son of a bitch

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I think Gallagher has replaced Miffed Dahmer On The Phone as my favorite running gag.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Funny how a movie with The Rock, Karl Urban and Rosamund Pike would be beloved nerdbait if released now.
I mean, if the casting stays the same and the movie magically changes into something decent.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Crowetron posted:

I think Gallagher has replaced Miffed Dahmer On The Phone as my favorite running gag.

I'm imagining a post-apocalypse where Gallagher applies to all the roles and Louie Anderson denies him every single time

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fatherboxx posted:

Funny how a movie with The Rock, Karl Urban and Rosamund Pike would be beloved nerdbait if released now.
I mean, if the casting stays the same and the movie magically changes into something decent.

They had the BFG9000 and the only thing the Rock shoots with it is a wall. gently caress that.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I cannot wait until the next Listener Request Month.

quote:

A scientist (Lance Henriksen) leads a team in an experimental miniaturized craft injected into the bloodstream of a dying terrorist (Julian Vergov) whose body conceals a computer chip that will trigger a nuclear explosion in the U.S. Capitol Building in less than 24 hours.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wait, wasn't that movie called Innerspace?

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
This ain't your momma's Innerspace!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

fatherboxx posted:

Don't forget all the monsters being practical effects by Stan Winston Studios.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MariusLecter posted:

Wait, wasn't that movie called Innerspace?

You're thinking of Fantastic Voyage.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Gallagher tangent in this episode is THE funniest loving thing.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I can review a movie Andrew/Steven/Eric. This watermelon represents WHM reviewing a movie and this mallet represents tangents!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh God, the Gallagher impressions. You syon of a byitch!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

precision posted:

Oh God, the Gallagher impressions. You syon of a byitch!

This watermelon represents your desire to listen to a podcast about movies, this mallet represents me, Gallagher.

*SPLAT*

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You syon of a byitch

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."

Crowetron posted:

Holy poo poo. I forgot how much I loved that bit. Any idea what ep it was from?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Holy poo poo. I forgot how much I loved that bit. Any idea what ep it was from?

Weekend at Bernie's 2, I believe.

e: :lol: I love the new word filter

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hockles posted:

See you on set, Jon Snow, you son of a bitch

Maybe it's because of what a bizarre, angry reactionary he's become in the past decade but their tangent about Gallagher being an amazing Expendables/Bond villain was spot-on. At the very least I could see him nailing something like Rodney Dangerfield's role in Natural Born Killers.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I just got done listening to the Planet of the Apes episode and their Mark Walhberg character is my favourite.

First heard it in Entourage, loved it.

Then heard it in Apes, double-loved it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

DoubleCakes posted:

I just got done listening to the Planet of the Apes episode and their Mark Walhberg character is my favourite.

First heard it in Entourage, loved it.

Then heard it in Apes, double-loved it.

I think of that impression almost every time I reach for the jar of peanut butter, whether or not I have the J to smooth me over.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The guys ruined 'Martha' for me, which I'd forgotten is quite a lovely Tom Waits song. Also 'Martha My Dear'.
The bird story in Kindergarten Cop 2 is obviously based on Rainbow Fish, which bugged me as a kid.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dolph/Gallhager call about Gallhager's part being cut and commiserating about being forgotten since 1989 may be one of my favorite bits ever.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I love that their Gallagher impression is based on the WTF interview. It took me a second to figure out why Gallagher was yelling at "Mark".

For those of you who might not know, Gallagher had an amazing meltdown on the WTF podcast several years ago. Seek it out, it's pretty great.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I love that their Gallagher impression is based on the WTF interview. It took me a second to figure out why Gallagher was yelling at "Mark".

For those of you who might not know, Gallagher had an amazing meltdown on the WTF podcast several years ago. Seek it out, it's pretty great.

I remember listening to it while rolling through WTF episodes during work a year or two ago, and for the life of me I still can't recall what the hell actually happened in that interview. I don't remember why Gallagher became so indignant and angry and stormed out. I'm gonna check it out again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Basically Gallagher was a gay hippie stoner who somehow turned into a right wing nutjob closet case. If you can find the unedited video of his first ever performance in a New York City underground comedy club, it's actually kind of great. I think it was on Hulu or Netflix recently.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

http://splitsider.com/2015/11/that-time-gallagher-displayed-his-true-awfulness-and-then-stormed-out-on-marc-maron/

quote:

Oh sure, Gallagher has made millions and was on television regularly for decades, but in his mind he deserved tens of millions of dollars and his own late night television show. Gallagher’s monstrous and deluded ego won’t accept anything less than a David Letterman or Jay Leno level of fame, success, and money as his rightful due. I mean, he did smash all those loving watermelons, right? What do you think he did that for, his loving health? No, he did it so your moron son will fork over his cash for a t-shirt and a CD and your dumb slut of a daughter would give him a hand job after the show, as is his due (I don’t think your son’s a moron and your sister’s a slut, but Gallagher sure does, and he isn’t too keen on you, either).

Gallagher truly hates his audience. Over the course of writing a book about Insane Clown Posse I attended four of their notorious yearly festivals of arts and culture and the only time I ever felt unsafe was during Gallagher’s racist, sexist, and homophobic performance, where he sprayed contempt on the audience along with watermelon fragments and bursts of rotten mustard.

Gallagher hates his audience, he hates a world that has given him so much, and that in turn he has given so little, but perhaps more than anything he hates himself, so he tries to cover up that understandable, eminently justified self-loathing by professing to be better than everyone and everything he comes across.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

About 5 years ago he sued his own brother for being a more successful comedian than he was.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's also this rundown of one of his shows down south. It is :stare: as hell.

quote:

"Hey, President Obama," he spits out the name like a mouthful of burning hair. "You ain't black. I don't care what you say—you're a latte. You're half whole-milk. It could be goat milk—you could be a terrorist!" I am too busy losing my mind to catch the next joke, which is about Ted Kennedy's brain cancer. Aaaaand we're off.

Gallagher is upset about a lot of things. Young people with their sagging pants (in faintly coded racist terms, he explains that this is why the jails are overcrowded—because "their" baggy pants make it too hard for "them" to run from the cops). Tattoos: "That ink goes through to your soul—if you read your Bible, your body is a sacred temple, YOU DIPSHIT." People naming their girl-children Sam and Toni instead of acceptable names like Evelyn and Betty: "Just give her some little lesbian tendencies!" Guantánamo Bay: "We weren't even allowed to torture all the way. We had to half-torture—that's nothin' compared to what Saddam and his two sons OOFAY and GOOFAY did." Lesbians: "There's two types—the ugly ones and the pretty ones." (Um, like all people?) Obama again: "If Obama was really black, he'd act like a black guy and get a white wife." Michael Vick: "Poor Michael Vick." Women's lib: "These women told you they wanna be equal—they DON'T." Trans people: "People like Cher's daughter—figure that out. She wants a penis, but she has a big belly. If you can't see your dick, you don't get one." The Rice Krispies elves: "All three of those guys are gay. Look at 'em!" The Mexicans: "Look around—see any Mexicans? Nope. They'll be here later for the cleanup." The French: "They ruin our language with their faggy words."

This was a guy whose whole shtick was goofy inventions prop comedy and smashing watermelons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He was a goofy hippie up until like 1987 at least. I used to watch his tv specials as a kid. He said was charming and imaginative and used wordplay.

Was he another casualty of 9/11?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's a shame because aside from his watermelon-smashing gimmick old Gallagher was a perfectly fine comedian, especially since kids seemed to be a lot of his audience. Nothing amazing but a lot of his routine was simple observational humor and wordplay, he only got really hackish and hateful as the years went by.

Jack Gladney posted:

This watermelon represents the Twin Towers and western decadence, and this mallet represents the will of Allah and Sharia Law...

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 26, 2016

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

He was a goofy hippie up until like 1987 at least. I used to watch his tv specials as a kid. He said was charming and imaginative and used wordplay.

I was never a huge fan of his but my dad loving loved him, so I saw all his 70/80/90s specials back in the day. His early material and the wordplay reminded me a fair bit of George Carlin if he were a prop comic. By the time I was in high school I remember we all just thought of him as a comedian our parents liked who was a hack, sort of like a Yakov Smirnoff relic of ages past, but he was completely harmless. Finding out he took a heel turn sharper then Dennis Miller is just sad and weird.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's with these comedians taking the turn for the radical crazy territory as they grow older?

Even Carlin got kind of mean towards the end, but he never dipped into the radical right like others have. He was just fed up with the establishment being hardcore corporate cronies and, well, everything really.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"The opposite of pro-gress must be con-gress" is one 80s Gallagher joke I remember fondly.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's also this rundown of one of his shows down south. It is :stare: as hell.

This was a guy whose whole shtick was goofy inventions prop comedy and smashing watermelons.

I need to hear their Gallagher impression say "Your body is a sacred temple, YOU DIPSHIT"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, when I was in my early teens I rented Gallagher tapes all the time. It's just so bizarre that he went from the milquetoast "The opposite of pro-gress must be con-gress" stuff to insane hate-filled screeds.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

As a foreigner, I've only ever had two impressions of Gallagher: pre-9/11 punchline and post-9/11 rear end in a top hat. Until this thread, I literally had no idea people ever found him funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

As a foreigner, I've only ever had two impressions of Gallagher: pre-9/11 punchline and post-9/11 rear end in a top hat. Until this thread, I literally had no idea people ever found him funny.

He's a comforting and comfortable benign fixture from childhood for a lot of us, like Far Side cartoons or Red Dwarf on PBS. I don't know what an international equivalent would be--Dr. Who? Tintin? Except now he's evil. It's disorienting for us.