Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
http://www.riftherald.com/2016/5/23/11746788/espn-riot-league-of-legends-broadcast-rights-500-million-dollars-lol-esports-twitch

Reportedly, ESPN is closing in on a broadcasting contract for an eSports game worth 500 million US dollars.

:lol:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

http://www.riftherald.com/2016/5/23/11746788/espn-riot-league-of-legends-broadcast-rights-500-million-dollars-lol-esports-twitch

Reportedly, ESPN is closing in on a broadcasting contract for an eSports game worth 500 million US dollars.

:lol:

Correctly betting that people would rather watch call of duty than Big Ten football.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

It's League of Legends, not Call of Duty.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
League sucks.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Peanut President posted:

It's League of Legends CSGO, not Call of Duty.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The only video game I still play is NCAA Football 2012 so that was not an intentional trap but it seems like a good place to post "trap sprung" so trap sprung

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

quote:

It remains to be seen how the rights are worded and whether a switch to ESPN could cannibalize current broadcast partners online. The LCS accounts for almost 23 million hours of viewing time per week across YouTube, Twitch and LOL esports.

Anyone have any idea how valuable 23 million hours per week for an international audience of teens and and 20-somethings is? I have no earthly idea or know anyway to find out.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

MourningView posted:

The only video game I still play is NCAA Football 2012 so that was not an intentional trap but it seems like a good place to post "trap sprung" so trap sprung

You root for Iowa so who's the real nerd here?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do find it funny that ESPN is doing this when they are cost cutting like hell. I'm not very convinced the audience watching eSports will go to ESPN instead of Twitch or whatever.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do find it funny that ESPN is doing this when they are cost cutting like hell. I'm not very convinced the audience watching eSports will go to ESPN instead of Twitch or whatever.

That's assuming it's not an exclusive broadcast rights deal or something. The contract hasn't even been officially agreed to so there is no knowing how any of it is structured.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Correctly betting that people would rather watch call of duty than Big Ten football.

This is super depressing and entirely accurate.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Kibner posted:

Anyone have any idea how valuable 23 million hours per week for an international audience of teens and and 20-somethings is? I have no earthly idea or know anyway to find out.

Yeah but what happens when those hours are longer split across four accessible platforms and go into whatever dogshit ESPN cooks up for it?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

eSports is a massively growing sector and everyone is gonna try to get in on it until the bubble collapses who knows when (if ever).

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Anals of History posted:

This is super depressing and entirely accurate.

That's much more a reflection of the football than the alternative.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Who the hell is watching someone play video games?

I watch football and hockey because I can't actually do those things, whereas I can actually play video games. Might as well be watching a video of a guy walking down the street.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Old farts like missed when this happened, but watching other people play video games is huge now. No I don't get it either but whatever floats your boat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sunday NFL Countdown hired Eli Apple's mom.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

I watch football and hockey because I can't actually do those things, whereas I can actually play video games. Might as well be watching a video of a guy walking down the street.

I watch Rocket League but that's it. To be fair, the people that those watch are really really good at video games.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Akileese posted:

I watch Rocket League but that's it. To be fair, the people that those watch are really really good at video games.

It's why EVO is fun as gently caress to watch on championship Sunday, and that they actually have an arena this year hopefully means it'll be beyond hype as gently caress.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sash! posted:

Have you tried it? If the person is charismatic it can be fun.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

In a weird way, it's nice to see gameplay from someone who knows what they're doing rather than myself having to run around trying to find something or using a guide.

But then again, most the games I own are sports games.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rick posted:

Have you tried it? If the person is charismatic it can be fun.

I watched SportsCenter for the first time in a while just now. Toronto beat Cleveland, SC was showing shots of happy, celebrating Canadians, and I'm always a sucker for that sort of thing. Then, despite having a crew on the court in Toronto, SC threw to Stephen A Smith in a Bristol studio, and I changed the channel.

Loss leader garbage shouldn't anchor your programming, John Skipper.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

esports are cool and good, but who is gonna watch on espn when they can watch on youtube or twitch? if espn gets exclusives i'm pretty sure people will just watch some other stream

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'd rather watch my friends be bad at video games in a living room than watch a bunch of supernerds compete on TV.

I'll admit that that Daigo video where he parries everything with Chun-Li is the poo poo though.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Sash! posted:

Riot's presentation is better than any sports broadcast on Fox Sports 1. Again, this is not hyperbole. They have an Inside The NFL-type show, a fantasy show, pre-game, post game, and they sell out the Staples Center faster than any team in LA can.

It's because they're extremely slickly produced competitions. They're sporting events, but instead of showing you something you think you can never do, they show you something you think you could maybe do. It taps the massive demographic of "people who play video games" which is everyone on the planet with electricity.

This entire loving forum watches wrestling for 9 hours a week for some reason. It baffles me that watching something that has actual competitive stakes continues to be met with confusion.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also while I don't want to watch people playing video games either, my ability to play football relative to an NFL player probably isn't too far off from my ability to play video games relative to those dudes

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 24, 2016

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Sash! posted:

Yea man how do you even get into playing hockey is there a secret club or something?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Badfinger posted:

Riot's presentation is better than any sports broadcast on Fox Sports 1. Again, this is not hyperbole. They have an Inside The NFL-type show, a fantasy show, pre-game, post game, and they sell out the Staples Center faster than any team in LA can.

It's because they're extremely slickly produced competitions.

Okay, let me stop you right there.

If ESPN got the rights to show this stuff, the only scenario is that the entire presentation would be about ESPN, just like they do for Monday Night Football. That's one of the biggest complaints about ESPN's MNF - NBC presents football in a way that shows off football, ESPN presents football in a way that is designed to show off ESPN.

The presentation would be changed for the sake of making it more about ESPN, regardless of what the actual presentation is now. There'd be a lot of cross-branding promotion, commentary designed around people that have never played a video game in their life, and Stephen A Smith self-promotionally yelling about nothing.

It's ESPN. This is ESPN's entire content strategy, regardless of what they show.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
ESPN is significantly better at actually broadcasting games than just about anyone else. I'll agree NBC's NFL broadcast is better but a lot of that is the respective slate of games they get. It's easier to make it all about football when you have the best game every week. I'll take ESPN's college sports coverage over anyone else doing it by a mile.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 24, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

the talent deficit posted:

esports are cool and good, but who is gonna watch on espn when they can watch on youtube or twitch? if espn gets exclusives i'm pretty sure people will just watch some other stream
All I want is a dedicated chat box on ESPN2 spamming Kappa in prime time television. Among other things.

Sash! posted:

It's just like with other activities. I can play tennis, chess, hockey, and even golf - but I'm by no means a pro. We watch them because it's the best people in the world presumably playing them. Speedwalking is a televised Olympic sport (pls watch in 2016).

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Even if there's "good" demand for eSports, no loving way is there $500 million for one game demand.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

David Feherty will cover golf, opening ceremonies, and do some cultural features for NBC's Olympic coverage.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Up Circle posted:

Yea man how do you even get into playing hockey is there a secret club or something?

:canada:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

AsInHowe posted:

Okay, let me stop you right there.

If ESPN got the rights to show this stuff, the only scenario is that the entire presentation would be about ESPN, just like they do for Monday Night Football. That's one of the biggest complaints about ESPN's MNF - NBC presents football in a way that shows off football, ESPN presents football in a way that is designed to show off ESPN.

The presentation would be changed for the sake of making it more about ESPN, regardless of what the actual presentation is now. There'd be a lot of cross-branding promotion, commentary designed around people that have never played a video game in their life, and Stephen A Smith self-promotionally yelling about nothing.

It's ESPN. This is ESPN's entire content strategy, regardless of what they show.

I don't disagree with you, but I was addressing why someone would watch a video game, not why someone would watch it on ESPN or if ESPN is smart to buy coverage rights.

quote:

Even if there's "good" demand for eSports, no loving way is there $500 million for one game demand.

I would be willing to bet the demand in total ad revenue etc is actually significantly higher than 500m over whatever 5-7 years, but probably not on ESPN. You'd miss the market outside of North America, which is very large.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It's fascinating to watch people transform from cool, hip youngsters to cranky old men before my very eyes.

(I don't understand e-sports either)

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Discussion of why watch a video game aside, Riot and ESPN both say there's no deal in the works.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/23/espn-league-of-legends-riot-games-no-talks/

quote:

"The story is inaccurate -- no active talks with ESPN at the moment," the Riot spokesperson said.

An ESPN spokesperson further confirmed, "The story is false. We do not have a deal with Riot Games to broadcast League of Legends."

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Harlock posted:

All I want is a dedicated chat box on ESPN2 spamming Kappa in prime time television. Among other things.

If anyone can outracist Twitch chat, it'd probably be ESPN eSport chat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

ESPN is significantly better at actually broadcasting games than just about anyone else. I'll agree NBC's NFL broadcast is better but a lot of that is the respective slate of games they get. It's easier to make it all about football when you have the best game every week. I'll take ESPN's college sports coverage over anyone else doing it by a mile.

Yeah, Fox is embarrassingly bad at college football production when you start to go past their A team. Even if ESPN isn't showing a game on anything but online they put effort into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I'm not watching someone play cards or video games on TV. I'm a grumpy old poo poo.