Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cnn says 4 dead on the front page, so I'm sticking with that.

Climbing Everest, what a wacky wacky thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

SynthOrange posted:

A Melbourne university lecturer who suffered altitude sickness and died on Mount Everest was being looked after by what some climbers have described as one Nepal's cheapest and riskiest trekking companies.

Dr Maria Strydom died on Saturday on her way back down the world's highest mountain with a Sherpa after failing to make the summit.

Tour company Seven Summit Treks said the tired and weak 34-year-old died at an altitude of about 7,800 metres near Camp Four.

Another climber in Dr Strydom's group, Dutchman Eric Arnold, also died from altitude sickness on Friday after reaching the summit on his fifth attempt.

Guy Cotter from the New Zealand-based company Adventure Consultants said Seven Summit Treks was one of the cheapest trek operators on the mountain.

"A company like Seven Summits will have a base price of around $US25,000 and then people still have to add on additional costs for the trek to base camp for oxygen, for Sherpas and so on," Mr Cotter said.

"But then there's operators like us who are offering a full guided service, we charge $US65,000, the difference is that we have professionally qualified, experienced mountain guides."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-23/everest-death-sparks-concerns-over-safety/7437946

Larf

You forgot the best part:

Strydom had sought out to prove that she could scale the mountain while on a vegan diet, the Monash University lecturer told the university’s blog. “It seems that people have this warped idea of vegans being malnourished and weak,” Strydom said. “By climbing the seven summits we want to prove that vegans can do anything and more.”

http://time.com/4344556/woman-vegan...+Top+Stories%29

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Oh holy gently caress that's hilarious. She should have brought Soylent. :grin:

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005
To be really impressive, I want to see someone summit Everest and then compete in the Everest marathon at the end of the month.

It starts at the end of the month in Gorak Shep and goes to Namche. A nice "downhill" run. Except for all the steep uphill parts and oh yeah you can barely breathe!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

hseroK divaD posted:

You forgot the best part:

Strydom had sought out to prove that she could scale the mountain while on a vegan diet, the Monash University lecturer told the university’s blog. “It seems that people have this warped idea of vegans being malnourished and weak,” Strydom said. “By climbing the seven summits we want to prove that vegans can do anything and more.”

http://time.com/4344556/woman-vegan...+Top+Stories%29

Sounds about right for a business lecturer :smug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Oh god why :gonk:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Summittrek teams going for a summit tomorrow and Wednesday apparently.

Edit:
Tibet team tomorrow and Wednesday

Nepal team up and on their way back to camp two, but their blog has some [url= https://www.summitclimb.com/new/default.asp?linktype=r&nid=249#23may]classic Everest reading [/url]

quote:

17th May - Everest C4 South Col destroyed: wind. Most tents broken. Groups flee. Our team 1 survive bad night in torn tents.

19th May - Now trying to identify which group climber was with. Not Summitclimb but oh my god how terrible. Deceased body has tragically appeared at base of Lhotse face. Not from Summitclimb. Sherpas saw climber falling unroped 30 min ago

lenoon fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 23, 2016

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

quote:

The team will have to deal with cold water and rapids in the Uttrakhand region; crocodiles, snakes and hyenas; heavy pollution from religious rituals, untreated sewage and factory and chemical effluent; and whirlpools, quicksand and strong currents.

That's it?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Millie posted:

That's it?

...Hyenas? :crossarms:

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

No mention of avoiding the rotting bodies floating in the river

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
If only we could get crocodiles, snakes, and hyenas up to Everest

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Prettz posted:

that was the "heavy pollution from religious rituals" bit.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Packs of feral dogs (on the shore) anyway

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SynthOrange posted:

A Melbourne university lecturer who suffered altitude sickness and died on Mount Everest was being looked after by what some climbers have described as one Nepal's cheapest and riskiest trekking companies.

Dr Maria Strydom died on Saturday on her way back down the world's highest mountain with a Sherpa after failing to make the summit.

Tour company Seven Summit Treks said the tired and weak 34-year-old died at an altitude of about 7,800 metres near Camp Four.

Another climber in Dr Strydom's group, Dutchman Eric Arnold, also died from altitude sickness on Friday after reaching the summit on his fifth attempt.

Guy Cotter from the New Zealand-based company Adventure Consultants said Seven Summit Treks was one of the cheapest trek operators on the mountain.

"A company like Seven Summits will have a base price of around $US25,000 and then people still have to add on additional costs for the trek to base camp for oxygen, for Sherpas and so on," Mr Cotter said.

"But then there's operators like us who are offering a full guided service, we charge $US65,000, the difference is that we have professionally qualified, experienced mountain guides."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-23/everest-death-sparks-concerns-over-safety/7437946

Larf

Cojawfee posted:

Buy a brand new car, or buy the shittiest everest package and die. Hard to choose.

Yeah how are you going to afford the other 6 summits if you're blowing an extra $40k on the Everest summit?

Prettz posted:

I have a friend I used to guide with that has guided a bunch of Ganges rafting trips. He tells me that you see a dead body literally every day. The ones without shoes were incomplete riverborne cremations, the ones with shoes on were accidental drownings from pilgrims at the headwaters.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

The ones with shoes on were accidental drownings from pilgrims at the headwaters.

Badass

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Snapchat guys appear to be bringing their poo poo off the mountain because they complained no one else was and they were forced to wait for water to boil for an hour before having coffee. Which reminded me of this cool video about boil temperatures at altitude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTL4dj3Gx1o:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This popped up on my fb feed

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Skarsnik posted:

why do your friends follow roosh v

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have no idea what that is but I think it was a sponsored post thing

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Skarsnik posted:

The Everest blood god is my favorite blood god.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

I have no idea what that is but I think it was a sponsored post thing

Roosh V is a rapist PUA.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Regrettable posted:

rapist PUA.

You don't need to repeat yourself! :v:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I just thought I should make the rapist part extra clear but yeah you're right.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'll be sure not to visit that then

Good headline though

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Picnic Princess posted:

Snapchat guys appear to be bringing their poo poo off the mountain because they complained no one else was and they were forced to wait for water to boil for an hour before having coffee. Which reminded me of this cool video about boil temperatures at altitude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTL4dj3Gx1o:

Can you explain this (I didn't watch the video), doesn't water boil faster at altitude since the pressure is lower?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

No filter guys are summiting now. Some other guy us posting text updates because they're not complete morons.

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped
It boils faster but also boils colder so the chance of killing bactera is far less.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Striped hyenas exists in large parts of India. Very rarely pose a danger directly to humans though.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

griffia posted:

It boils faster but also boils colder so the chance of killing bactera is far less.

Hence why you have to cook it longer.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Why don't they just use a filter system or those tablets that purify water?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

EngineerJoe posted:

Why don't they just use a filter system or those tablets that purify water?

Seriously, wtf?

These dipshits are literally just straight up melting poo poo sno-cones to drink with no filtration?

Isn't it like 25,000$+ non-refundable to even attempt a summit? Isn't a lifestraw like 30 bucks?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

revmoo posted:

Seriously, wtf?

These dipshits are literally just straight up melting poo poo sno-cones to drink with no filtration?

Isn't it like 25,000$+ non-refundable to even attempt a summit? Isn't a lifestraw like 30 bucks?

Well since they decided not to bring O2 I'm guessing they are not the smartest people on the planet.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Have the no filter guys introduced the sherpas? I started following recently and haven't seen any mention of them

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

A few Sherpas have been on camera and the guys seem pretty friendly/treats them like humans.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

revmoo posted:

Seriously, wtf?

Uhh they're called #EverestNoFilter not #EverestReverseOsmosisFilter

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Pekinduck posted:

Uhh they're called #EverestNoFilter not #EverestReverseOsmosisFilter

:golfclap:

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
Should i get a snapchat so i can watch a livestream of two people dying on Everest?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SynthOrange posted:

I know that when I'm going to a dangerous place where my body will be eating itself for sustenance, I want the cheapest guys money can buy watching my back.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No sense blaming a team for her body failing. She was on a stupid crusade to prove something that isn't worth fighting over much less dying for and failed horribly. Now it turns out she was also a cheapskate or couldn't afford a proper team.

She was pretty much up there with all the other idiots who climb Everest for all the wrong reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

News Flash: It's cold on Everest!