Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Beefier faceless hivemind playtime doesn't hurt but it also doesn't help you yet if you're not at the part of RG where you unlock the challenge that gives you a bonus for it. And if you haven't reached that point and you also did all the stuff he pointed out then I would recommend leaving it on fairy/dwarf. More fairy and dwarf playtime helps immensely on mercs and research builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There's also an upgrade you get from not logging in for 36 hours that's pretty essential to the 1Qa offline bonus trophy.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I have all that stuff

Went gob drow because I need to smash the gem barrier for r17 and drowline looks tasty when I'm going away for like 10 days without access to a desktop pc

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I had Factory Idle and Realm Grinder open yesterday when we had a blackout, so I lost my RG save that was ready to go to r13. If anyone has one that's around there (r10-14) I'd appreciate it. If not, that's fine I can put the game back down for a while.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
RG has a cloud save feature, see if it didn't save there some time before the blackout, maybe?

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I dunno if it works given that it's old but I seem to have exported most of my savegames before reincarnating. I'm around r20 now but this is what I exported at r12.

http://pastebin.com/V70bLs97

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
RG also just has a straight up local save too so I'm confused how it lost it. Reboot shouldn't affect your RG progress at all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Presumably whatever part of his browser's local storage stored the save happened to be corrupted when the power died, just like any file can be.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I had the cloud save from chrome, which I switched away from when I hit r7 cause it was eating >1/2 my cpu and I couldn't play a game with it open. If you have two Kongregate tabs you can only be connected to one, so it saved my factory idle game. It's a very weird situation. Thanks for the save!

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Chakan posted:

If you have two Kongregate tabs you can only be connected to one, so it saved my factory idle game. It's a very weird situation. Thanks for the save!

That's not how it works.

The connection is to kongregate's chat and achievement API, game itself saves it's data to your hdd seperately.

e: also, it seems FF has a bug when it comes to factory idle's average gains/tick, but chrome doesn't.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Musluk posted:

That's not how it works.

The connection is to kongregate's chat and achievement API, game itself saves it's data to your hdd seperately.

e: also, it seems FF has a bug when it comes to factory idle's average gains/tick, but chrome doesn't.

You're probably right, it was speculation that I lost that save and not the Factory Idle one because I was connected to that tab. It still sucks to lose my save, even though there are a million safeguards. After I found out about the power loss I checked both games and FI was good, I closed it. FI isn't awful, I'd just rather play Factorio I guess.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also Chrome is just fine on the resource usage while playing RG (or any Kong game) so long as you use an ad blocker like a sensible person.

For whatever reason, Kong's/RG's ads are even worse than most ads at memory leaks and resource usage creep.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Vil posted:

Also Chrome is just fine on the resource usage while playing RG (or any Kong game) so long as you use an ad blocker like a sensible person.

For whatever reason, Kong's/RG's ads are even worse than most ads at memory leaks and resource usage creep.

If you're using uBlock Origin (like anybody should) then you can turn on uBlock when you load the page (if you have a browser crash, need to refresh, etc.) and then turn it off to not block ads for scrying. You can turn it back on once you've scried enough, but leaving it off won't let the ads load back onto the page, so you'll never have to worry about the ad issues as long as you had it on when you loaded the page.

I recommend that over manually blocking the ads that Kongregate serves, because there's a couple of them on the page and sometimes the ad rotation changes enough that I would see ads again despite manually blocking them.

Speaking of ads, the realmgrinder wikia has some pretty garbage ads on it, so if you'd like an alternative, the people in Kongregate's Room #2 chat (highly recommended now, actually, most people in there are interesting and helpful instead of Kongregate's usual crowd) have put together A Separate Wiki that is constantly maintained by and old guy with questionable taste in website design, with information provided by a user that reverses the flash game's code to better understand challenges/requirements/etc. and has links to tools maintained by a different user that help you figure out some stuff. Realm Weather Service, for instance, lets you see what your RNG seed will serve you while using Lightning Strike on a Lightning Forge Merc build, and Royal Scribe lets you see more detailed information about your current runs.

You can also ask around in the chat for a save editor, in case you ever lose your information. There's a non-GUI one now, but one of the regulars is working on a GUI-based editor that just has you type in amounts you need for your new save. Divine Games hates save editor talk on the Kong forums, and I don't believe it's kosher in Room 1, but Room 2 is largely self-moderated so you can get your hands on one if you need to rebuild your save manually or something.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Can confirm, bad questionable visual taste, but good and easily accessible info without wikia adds.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 24, 2016

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm still on R0 on Realm Grinder and noticed there's now Lore Artifacts you can get from excavations since March this year. Is it worth going for these or should I wait?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
In R0? Don't even try for most unless you're on the verge of one before a reset.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im on R1 and its just as slow as R0 :p

Titans need buff that makes them stupidly good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
You do eventually want them all since they give you trophies and unlock/boost some research. There's only about 30 though so as long as you get 1 or 2 each R you'll easily have them all by the time it matters.

Also remember that if you're dwarves or drow you can only get dwarf or drow artifacts, not the vanilla ones.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Sindai posted:

You do eventually want them all since they give you trophies and unlock/boost some research. There's only about 30 though so as long as you get 1 or 2 each R you'll easily have them all by the time it matters.

Also remember that if you're dwarves or drow you can only get dwarf or drow artifacts, not the vanilla ones.

Yeah Eventually you can get 100 max mana per artifact, which becomes super good when you get them all. But at low R's, savescum to see if you can get any before you reincarnate, but don't try too hard for them.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Speaking of Realm Weather Service, what actions change your Lighting Strike RNG? I've had several abdications in a row where it is the same, which sucks when I'm trying to get something with Blacksmiths in any reasonable timeframe. Is it set for a reincarnation, or can it change?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Its pretty easy to get the important artifacts when you're around the end of mercs (r14+)

Definitely pick up vanilla flavor juice and know your enemy, they make things so painless it's unreal

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
Things are slowing down a lot on R25 for me, but I'm pounding through with a Unique Faceless build. I'm getting about 4x or 5x every ten or twelve hours it seems like, but is there a faster way? I'm drat spoiled by the early 20s being so quick, I think.

Also, once I do bang out to R26, is Faceless still the most viable for breaking through to R27 and more viable Titan Research?

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.

Klungar posted:

Speaking of Realm Weather Service, what actions change your Lighting Strike RNG? I've had several abdications in a row where it is the same, which sucks when I'm trying to get something with Blacksmiths in any reasonable timeframe. Is it set for a reincarnation, or can it change?

Usually the guides I've read just recommend to abstain from buying some unimportant buildings (e.g. ones that don't boost production specifically) to get to your next Blacksmith and shuffle up your RNG state.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Amish posted:

Things are slowing down a lot on R25 for me, but I'm pounding through with a Unique Faceless build. I'm getting about 4x or 5x every ten or twelve hours it seems like, but is there a faster way? I'm drat spoiled by the early 20s being so quick, I think.

Also, once I do bang out to R26, is Faceless still the most viable for breaking through to R27 and more viable Titan Research?
Yeah, the 330 researches in general and the Faceless 350 research in particular are very good so R26 might actually go faster than R25, IIRC.

You do have the artifact that lets you get more neutral researches, right? That seems a little slow even for R25 unless you're very near the end of the run. I think my slowest neutral research R took about two days (online time) and it was probably R25.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 24, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Klungar posted:

Lightning Strike RNG seed only moves down the list if a. you use Lightning Strike and b. you have more than 1 (maybe more than 0?) different types of buildings so the game actually has to use the RNG to figure out which of them to hit.

It may also change on reincarnation but that's not terribly helpful or meaningful in the context of getting useful results out of it.

Point being, if you want to advance down the list, buy at least 2 different building types and cast Lightning Strike. If you've got gifts, you can do this, abdicate, re-Titan yourself, and repeat in less time than either waiting out LS's duration or waiting for LS's mana to refill (depending on reincarnation and build) will take. Without gifts, it probably takes long enough to rejoin Titan that it's not worth it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Whenever I had bad LS rng I would just set it to bronze and let it cast continuously for an hour or two.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Amish posted:

I'd recommend U Goblins with Angel bloodline; Faceless seemed pretty anaemic to me until you can get S375

nerox
May 20, 2001
What does U and NU mean in all these build names anyway?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nerox posted:

What does U and NU mean in all these build names anyway?

Unique and Non-Unique (referring to builds centric to the faction's unique building or other buildings).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

Whenever I had bad LS rng I would just set it to bronze and let it cast continuously for an hour or two.

I'd just reset, myself, though I usually had those build pretty lean on buildings, avoiding buying Farms, Inns, Alchemist Labs (doing an Everything is Awesome run to build up the Faceless upgrade can compensate for the loss), Labyrinths and Pyramids. It's also doable to not buy Mines and Monasteries, but their income is usually reasonable enough to build up.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I hate Lighting Strike and I am glad that I'm not at that stage right now

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Honestly the best thing I ever did was run a manaburning build to get some of the autocasting upgrades. Being able to fully automate lightning fairies was basically the thing that made pre-research bearable. Highly suggest y'all do too if you're in that range.

Edit: sure, it's not as quick as managing it but honestly I got so sick of staring at the cooldown waiting for blacksmiths to pop. Now I just set it up and come back in 20 minutes and reincarnate.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Hey so here's a weird thing. Recently I've started seeing checkmarks on some of the merc skills that I haven't picked yet. I can't find any powerup/etc that grants that, anyone have any idea wtf? The UI let's me select it but I wonder if it's some weird powerup I got and didn't notice.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I got that too, looks like a visual bug. Sometimes they match with what I selected last abdication, sometimes not.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Yeah I see that all the time, its usually about 75% of the stuff I chose last time. They can't implement saved builds soon enough. Please don't lock build saves behind a trophy that takes 10 days.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Does anyone have a good guide as to what bloodlines I should be using as I work my way up to Mercs after each Reincarnation? I usually just grab Elf for the free FCs but I feel like there are better ones to use after my first couple of abdications. R9 if it matters.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Klungar posted:

Does anyone have a good guide as to what bloodlines I should be using as I work my way up to Mercs after each Reincarnation? I usually just grab Elf for the free FCs but I feel like there are better ones to use after my first couple of abdications. R9 if it matters.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/8945-realm-grinder/topics/598227-guide-optimized-gem-grinding-09-mar-16

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Beautiful, thank you. I had exhausted the R0 gear and hadn't found this one to move on to.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
After taking a break from Realm Grinder, I'm really digging Mine Defence. It's in the OP and I guess a lot of people have already played it, so this is more of a trip report than anything else: http://scholtek.com/minedefense

On the surface it's fairly bare bones, but it keeps going and adding systems on top of systems, evenutally reaching a point where you can no longer "buy" any unit upgrades and you have to switch to different types of resources and resource management to continue to grow (paradigm shift). Apparenlty this happens a few times, but I'm currently just transitioning into the first one. There's no definied win condition and no prestiging, but there is a point where you have all the upgrades and the game is essentially over. It's no longer being actively developed so nothing new will be added.

Some of it is really slow and some of the walls are pretty ridiculous. Given it has no offline progress and how long it takes to get past some of these walls I don't know how anyone could play it without autoclicking, but apparently completely click-free runs are possible. Fortunately it's javascript based so you can hack in an autoclicker (courtersy of the developer) and have it run in the background without it needing to control the mouse cursor. Any need for micromanagement seems to come in bursts so it's a good game for playing in the background while doing something else.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gravy Jones posted:

After taking a break from Realm Grinder, I'm really digging Mine Defence. It's in the OP and I guess a lot of people have already played it, so this is more of a trip report than anything else: http://scholtek.com/minedefense

On the surface it's fairly bare bones, but it keeps going and adding systems on top of systems, evenutally reaching a point where you can no longer "buy" any unit upgrades and you have to switch to different types of resources and resource management to continue to grow (paradigm shift). Apparenlty this happens a few times, but I'm currently just transitioning into the first one. There's no definied win condition and no prestiging, but there is a point where you have all the upgrades and the game is essentially over. It's no longer being actively developed so nothing new will be added.

Some of it is really slow and some of the walls are pretty ridiculous. Given it has no offline progress and how long it takes to get past some of these walls I don't know how anyone could play it without autoclicking, but apparently completely click-free runs are possible. Fortunately it's javascript based so you can hack in an autoclicker (courtersy of the developer) and have it run in the background without it needing to control the mouse cursor. Any need for micromanagement seems to come in bursts so it's a good game for playing in the background while doing something else.

Can second minedefense as a great game. It and Realmgrinder both do a great job of breaking the rules a lot and changing up how you play.