Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Keg posted:

New rules for Polaris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E03OJmc3wTo

The Submission-Only movement, now with decisions

I read that rundown. Besides the obvious, "their appeal was their submission-only format..." I thought it was loving weak and stupid that they ranked "defending a submission" as a positive scoring criterion. Defending a submission is its own reward.

e. Read this:
http://www.polaris-pro.org/the-rules/

The way that have it set up you literally give points to your opponent by attempting a submission. I'm not sure if they're putting that in so that people only go for realistic submission attempts (i.e. no flailing at weakass kimuras to rack up points) but jesus christ.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Odddzy posted:

I'm at bjj révolution under Koji murakami, a super swell japanese dude. I'm 6'1 and weigh 205 pounds. I've got lovely takedowns though so I rather try something safe, fail and then go in x-guard from bottom.
So you'll be in town on Monday? Drop by before 7:30 am to do paperwork and get dressed for class and I'll show you around.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

So you'll be in town on Monday? Drop by before 7:30 am to do paperwork and get dressed for class and I'll show you around.

Sure thing man! I've got a shaved head and a short beard so I shouldn't be too hard to recognize.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
John Danaher is on facebook and instagram now after avoiding social media for years. It is actually him posting and not someone else. And he is sharing some of his insights and speeches which he has given us over the years.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 20, 2016

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, I'd actually recommend everyone that has any interest in bjj to try and read up the stuff he posts, it's quite insightful and he's got great stories.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think he's one of the most engaging people in a very deep pool. Having him on Facebook is a pro-move

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Yuns posted:

John Danaher is on facebook and instagram now after avoiding social media for years. It is actually him posting and not someone else. And he is sharing some of his insights and speeches which he has given us over the years.

I'll goatse him

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I watched some hema videos on youtube like you guys recommended a while ago..I think when I get a better paying job I will get into this stuff. It seems legit.

Still a lot of beards ands guts though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

One of us, one of us! :getin:

Out of curiousity, what sort of stuff did you look at that convinced you?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Odddzy posted:

Sure thing man! I've got a shaved head and a short beard so I shouldn't be too hard to recognize.
I'll be there by 7:05. I'll be sitting on the bench, drinking iced coffee and eating a BEC.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Much respect to Odddzy who showed up this morning to train with us.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Did you beat him up?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

What happens in training, stays in training. But no, Odddzy will have to confirm but I think we were nice to him.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yuns and the others I met through him have been very very nice. No one tapped to my terrible heel hooks that usually get results somewhat at my regular gym and only resulted in me tapping .2 seconds later. Basically, i'm super thankful as its great to see the deeper end of the pool. Got very friendly advice from people, two guys said I rolled at around blue so i'm super proud of myself as I didn't feel like a total waste of time to others. John even complemented me during a takedown drill. That was quite something for me!

Basically, thanks Yuns, you rock.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 23, 2016

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hello. I would like to buy an annoying outrageous oddly colored gi.

Anyone know where I can get a non white/blue/black gi?

To clarify, i want a gi as ostentatious as possible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheReverend posted:

Just get a couple of cheap red t-shirts and throw them into the wash with your white gi.

Then use the hottest setting your machine will go to.

edit: VV ok that's a loving disgusting display. Buy that one.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Camo Gi.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Siivola posted:

One of us, one of us! :getin:

Out of curiousity, what sort of stuff did you look at that convinced you?

I just looked up some championship fights and was impressed by the reffing, level of coordination, and the fact that the crowds cheering seemed of respectable size.

And the old epee fencer in me feels like I could wreck shop on some of these fools. :smug:

Any links to a Nashville organization I could look into when I have a decent cashflow? I still have my fencing poo poo but not enough equipment to protect me from getting seriously fuckered.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

TheReverend posted:

http://www.modernflowbrand.com

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Captain Log posted:

I just looked up some championship fights and was impressed by the reffing, level of coordination, and the fact that the crowds cheering seemed of respectable size.

And the old epee fencer in me feels like I could wreck shop on some of these fools. :smug:

Any links to a Nashville organization I could look into when I have a decent cashflow? I still have my fencing poo poo but not enough equipment to protect me from getting seriously fuckered.

Also, I respect the skill here but I feel like a lot of the movement is so drat inefficient. Why slash when you can stab? Anyways, if there is a good thread I should move to for this stuff, point me there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Sorry, but it looks like you're a bit in the boonies in there. :( Here's a map of most of the clubs in the Eastern US: http://www.communitywalk.com/THE-HEMA-Group-finder-E-North-America-Eastern

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Also, I respect the skill here but I feel like a lot of the movement is so drat inefficient. Why slash when you can stab? Anyways, if there is a good thread I should move to for this stuff, point me there.

If it's anything like M1 Medieval, thrusts/stabs are illegal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm assuming Log's talking about stuff like HEMA longsword, which is fought with modern protective equipment (not medieval armour) and does allow thrusts. I think the reason people cut with the longsword is that the long hilt makes that easy and quick, and thrusts are fairly straightforward to beat aside with accurate cuts.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Odddzy how was your day at NY Combat Sambo and did you meet Mechafunzilla.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

Odddzy how was your day at NY Combat Sambo and did you meet Mechafunzilla.

Wait what? Odddzy give me a heads up if you're stopping by class :stare:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Odddzy has limited Internet connectivity so he may not see our posts until tonight but I just messaged him to try to contact you through this thread Mechafunzilla.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm flipping through a rare judo grappling book from 1967 and it demonstrates the lockdown ("Clamping your opponent's legs") and escapes in a special black bordered page sequence. I just wanted to share. Not sure why. Must have something to do with poking fun at Eddie Bravo.

e. and holy poo poo it includes something that resembles an inverted gogoplata from the bottom of a north-south position.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 25, 2016

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Hey guys! Yeah, I was at NYCS just an hour ago actually for the leglock and throws class. Lots of fun and Steeve was super nice to me. I really don't know how well i'll be able to squeeze time in but Steeve talked about the wrestling class on thursday, if you want to make it there i'll try extra hard to make it there. :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Odddzy posted:

Hey guys! Yeah, I was at NYCS just an hour ago actually for the leglock and throws class. Lots of fun and Steeve was super nice to me. I really don't know how well i'll be able to squeeze time in but Steeve talked about the wrestling class on thursday, if you want to make it there i'll try extra hard to make it there. :)

To add to this, I think i made a mistake, the wrestling class is tomorrow, on wednesday, if you can't make it i'll probably go to renzo's for the nogi class. Let me know whenever you can :)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Any San Diego jits goons?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Odddzy posted:

To add to this, I think i made a mistake, the wrestling class is tomorrow, on wednesday, if you can't make it i'll probably go to renzo's for the nogi class. Let me know whenever you can :)

Yeah, wrestling is tomorrow (Wednesday) at 7:45. It's usually a great crew, I'll be there (and probably also for the throws class at 6).

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

JaySB posted:

I used to live/train in SD but moved away about a year ago, if that's any help.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

eshock posted:

I used to live/train in SD but moved away about a year ago, if that's any help.

I'm 99% to head down for a few days this week. Jeff Glover is a friend of mine so was going to go by and train with him but was hoping to roll with some goons as well. Am now contemplating what other places I must drop in a class at.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

JaySB posted:

I'm 99% to head down for a few days this week. Jeff Glover is a friend of mine so was going to go by and train with him but was hoping to roll with some goons as well. Am now contemplating what other places I must drop in a class at.

Saulo Ribero's place is just a few blocks from Victory (where Glover teaches): http://www.unijj.com

Right next door is the Arena, where my old instructor, Jeff Clark, currently teaches: http://www.thearenamma.com . I hadn't realized but apparently Baret Yoshida is the head jiu-jitsu instructor there now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Got a triangle seminar tonight with processor Nikolai Holt (aka Geeza). Typically though, I'm injured. Stained a muscle in my back doing triangle drills yesterday. gently caress sake.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Processor... Wtf. Professor.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

I'm flipping through a rare judo grappling book from 1967 and it demonstrates the lockdown ("Clamping your opponent's legs") and escapes in a special black bordered page sequence. I just wanted to share. Not sure why. Must have something to do with poking fun at Eddie Bravo.

e. and holy poo poo it includes something that resembles an inverted gogoplata from the bottom of a north-south position.

I'm pretty sure Bravo is on record saying he didn't invent the lockdown or many of his moves, just the system and no-gi application. Cool to hear it was in a book though, B/C I've never seen it referenced in Judo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

JaySB posted:

I live in the North County and never found a decent gym, though I drop in at Black House from time to time and their BJJ is taught by Eduardo Guedes, a Mario Sperry black belt. It's all right but I usually end up doing muay thai when I'm there.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
hey look at this dumb retard who finally took a jiu jitsu class

maybe in 5-10 years I'll actually know what I'm talking about, but probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

I'm pretty sure Bravo is on record saying he didn't invent the lockdown or many of his moves, just the system and no-gi application. Cool to hear it was in a book though, B/C I've never seen it referenced in Judo

I'll take and upload some pics of the pages when I get home, because my instructor wants to see them too and the book is too rare/valuable to be dragging to the gym. Giving the links to him and to the thread is NBD.