Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I'll be disappointed if PoI doesn't end with a full-scale singularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Btw Finch referred to the Machine and Samaritan as ASIs. What is that? Artificial Sentient Intelligences?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Artificial Super Intelligence, I think? The distinction being that they're basically omniscient in addition to being sentient.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Echophonic posted:

Artificial Super Intelligence, I think? The distinction being that they're basically omniscient in addition to being sentient.

Yeah, but also I believe the other distinction is an AI we could possibly understand. ASIs are so smart that people can't possibly even pretend to comprehend their inner workings.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah, but also I believe the other distinction is an AI we could possibly understand. ASIs are so smart that people can't possibly even pretend to comprehend their inner workings.

This. It's pretty much impossible to build a theory of mind for something significantly smarter than you, and both the Machine and Samaritan are capable of analyzing immense amounts of data and extrapolating highly accurate predictions of the future, which implies a level of intelligence as far beyond human as a human is beyond an insect. They're still limited to the extent that they can't know things they don't have any data about, but since Samaritan continues to expand its reach into both the physical and electronic worlds, fairly soon it will possess a limited form of omniscience.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hope you guys brought the big popcorn bags because

:siren:THIS WEEK'S *3* EPISODES:siren:: A More Perfect Union/QSO/Reassortment

Monday Synopsis:The Machine sends Reese and Finch to a wedding to protect a pair of POIs before their nuptials. Also, Fusco becomes angry at being kept in the dark by the team and takes it upon himself to investigate a string of missing person reports.

Tuesday Synopsis 1:Root goes undercover at a radio station to protect the host of a conspiracy theory show who stumbles upon information that could get him killed. Also, Samaritan’s agents try to convince a member of the team that their goals are noble.

Tuesday Synopsis 2:Reese and Finch become trapped in a hospital that becomes ground zero for a deadly viral outbreak. Also, Samaritan’s newest recruit has second thoughts and Shaw continues to struggle with reality.

Monday Preview

Feel free to come livewatch with us in the TVIV IRC Channel! They are bound to get mad at how much poi there is this week.

Here's the deal with the airdates, folks:

Monday's Ep: 9pm EST on CTV/10pm EST on CBS
Tuesday's Eps: 8pm Atlantic, then a break for the flash finale, then 10pm on CTV Halifax/9pm-10pm EST on both regular CTV and CBS.

As with every year, my fellow Canadians getting the Maritime airing early please refrain posting spoilers until the east coast airing at 10pm EST concludes. I understand this week among all of them will probably be the biggest spoiler clusterfuck so please unless you are liveposting just tag all posts until the US airing of both eps concludes on Tuesday.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/AmyAcker/status/734824467961020416

Omg

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shaw remains the coolest

Your dastardly tricks will not work!!

E: Fusco has his own board, he's so precious :allears:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 24, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Greer bought her the Chinatown death sandwich from 4x10 to get her on his side.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh trial, how quaint

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THAT ACCENT

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hahahahah his accent is so bad

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Singing voice!?!?!

raditts posted:

I know it's wonderful

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

raditts posted:

Amazingly so.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Nice save O'Finch

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress, Greer knows how to make a compelling argument

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

ITS TIME

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

*wipes away tear* it's... beautiful

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is glorious

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm glad we managed one pure comedy episode this season before it goes full endgame.

https://twitter.com/POIFUSCO/status/734935595127017473

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Bruce was totally 100% right.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, pretty good so far. Bear/Fusco, Root at a wedding as a running gag, Harold singing Twisted Sister in the worst brogue ever put on film. I can't wait to see how they top this. :allears:

Edit: Oh, like that.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 24, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeehaw

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I love everything about this episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

God drat it, they were doing so well and then they bring back loving Samarikid.

Oh, poo poo. RIP Bruce.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FUSCO NO

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What the actual gently caress

Oh

Oh I get it

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

raditts posted:

God drat it, they were doing so well and then they bring back loving Samarikid.

Oh, poo poo. RIP Bruce.

He works better as a self insert for another sim than he did last year.

edit: also that's his only appearance of the season.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Regy Rusty posted:

What the actual gently caress

Oh

Oh I get it

That also explains why "Greer" was so confident she wouldn't escape.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pik_d posted:

And why the whole episode went by without the machine reporting in that it saw her

Oh my god I don't know if I can handle two back to back episodes tomorrow

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wow, that was some emotional whiplash. Up, then bittersweet, then back to reality. loving awesome.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I had a feeling that's what was going on (AGAIN) but I was invested in the fantastic A plot so I didn't care.
So are we through with all this ~*~it was all a dreeeeaaaam~*~ poo poo with Shaw yet because it's getting kinda old now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

raditts posted:

I had a feeling that's what was going on (AGAIN) but I was invested in the fantastic A plot so I didn't care.
So are we through with all this ~*~it was all a dreeeeaaaam~*~ poo poo with Shaw yet because it's getting kinda old now.

Promo:Tomorrow is her escape

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Zaggitz posted:

Promo:Tomorrow is her escape

Also a simulation. :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bear and Fusco :ohdear:

pik_d posted:

Well that and the 2nd set of people he showed her, afterwards the lounge was empty.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

spoon0042 posted:

Also a simulation. :v:

Nah, there'd be no point to it, 6741 was showing the futility of Samaritan's tactics, tonight was it playing its final card and we'll see how that works tomorrow but either way there's no narrative reason to keep her in sims.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only reason Samaritan would go this route is that it's giving up on the other one. It's not going to be able to long con Shaw into turning in her friends inadvertently. That's why it decided to instead go for the tactic of getting her to turn on them voluntarily.

I really liked how Finch talking to Root kind of non-explicitly outlined the fault in Greer/Samaritan's argument. Namely their confidence that with their power also comes and implicit moral certainty that the decisions they make will always be the right ones.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
"Tomorrow, their world crashes. We can give them tonight."

:ohdear:

VVVV - unless this is foreshadowing for Team Machine

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 24, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Yeah finding out their daughter/sister is going to jail for doping horses and attempted murder will probably have some serious effects on their family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

monster on a stick posted:

VVVV - unless this is foreshadowing for Team Machine

Yeah this is definitely a "next ep poo poo gets serious" foreshadow quote.

• Locked thread