Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

chitoryu12 posted:

Now imagine that scenario, but you replaced all your cashiers with 6 touchscreen kiosks and you even removed the cash registers because you decided you don't need humans anymore.

It's like that scene in WarGames where they replaced the guys in the nuclear bunker with computer switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's like that scene in WarGames where they replaced the guys in the nuclear bunker with computer switches.

A strange food. The only winning move is not to order.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Food ordering kiosks aren't bad at all. All the gas station food places around here have them. Never had an issue with the ordering process. I've had food made wrong or an item missing, but that wasnt because of the ordering system. Where in the hell are the high school kids, parolees and desperate for work single moms going to work once the kiosk army takes over our fast food joints?

Grocery store self checkouts can gently caress off. I will never use them unless I only have a few items or when its late and they close all the regular registers. I have some sort of problem every single time. An item that won't scan, wrong price or accidentally scanning something twice. The scale that detects when you put something in the bag is retarded and forces the attendant to override something before you can continue. Self checkout takes longer every single time and it needs to be obsolete immediately.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the local Wawa makes up for the lack of extra employees to handle specific food orders by hiring extra employees to fastidiously clean everything, including pressure washing the parking lot and gas pumps apparently daily.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Conversely, I love the grocery store self checkouts (unless I'm buying something controlled and have to show ID, then I go through a manned line) because I can get in and out in no-time flat, assuming the grandma in front doesn't take 20 minutes to buy three items.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arrath posted:

Conversely, I love the grocery store self checkouts (unless I'm buying something controlled and have to show ID, then I go through a manned line) because I can get in and out in no-time flat, assuming the grandma in front doesn't take 20 minutes to buy three items.

Or three of the four self-checkouts aren't broken (something that's happened to me before).

The reason this setup doesn't work is because it falls under a particular fallacy of perfection. It only works the way it's assumed to work if all of the machines work perfectly without breaking down 100% of the time and are capable of doing customer service work to the same degree as humans.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Speaking of obsolete lamps, easy to find switches are pretty obsolete. Almost every lamp in my house has the knob right near the bulb, meaning it's always a game of Operation! to reach in there and turn off the lamp. I miss the old pull chains.

I was so excited my new task lamp from IKEA had an on/off button on the base.

hint: a lamp is usually not a magic stalk that emits light and contains an enslaved genie. often, you can replace the socket with a pull-chain-equipped one yourself!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Or three of the four self-checkouts aren't broken (something that's happened to me before).

The reason this setup doesn't work is because it falls under a particular fallacy of perfection. It only works the way it's assumed to work if all of the machines work perfectly without breaking down 100% of the time and are capable of doing customer service work to the same degree as humans.

Oh I'm in no way arguing for the complete automation of things. It's just nice to be able to get in and out, not get upsold and be on my way. I guess my time in the retail gulag was beneficial, as I have no trouble at all with those scanners.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

What gets me on the self-checkouts is when someone has a cart loaded to the top and still tries to use one and ends up taking like twenty minutes because they have such restrictions in the name of anti-theft I guess and weren't designed for that.

As a replacement for the express 10 items or less type of lane they are okay.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

hint: a lamp is usually not a magic stalk that emits light and contains an enslaved genie. often, you can replace the socket with a pull-chain-equipped one yourself!

Of course the lamp isn't magic; the bulbs are where the fairy dust is.

Replacing that part of the lamp never occurred to me. I'll have to look that up.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Wouldn't the socket have no power, thus defeating the point of a pull chain add-on socket? If you touch the lamp, you could possibly take the power out of the bulb socket, and render the cord useless.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I have a couple mid-century lamps with free-rotating, non-clicky power knobs that you only know are on when the light goes on- which works for incandescent bulbs. But on CFs I find myself slowly rotating the knob until I see the tube fire- if I rotate too far, gotta go all the way around again, as going backwards just unscrews the switch

It'll be less of a problem when I can afford to go 100% LED but still, minor pain in the rear end

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized why no-one uses the self-checkout lanes here: you can't buy alcohol or tobacco products through them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just realized why no-one uses the self-checkout lanes here: you can't buy alcohol or tobacco products through them.

Straight up can't? Here you have to sit and wait for the attendant to come check your ID. Thinking on it, just disallowing it would certainly speed things up.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Where I live supermarkets can't stock alcohol and you buy tobacco from a special counter so it's a moot point. Incidentally, I have no problem with our self-serve checkouts.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

IUG posted:

Wouldn't the socket have no power, thus defeating the point of a pull chain add-on socket? If you touch the lamp, you could possibly take the power out of the bulb socket, and render the cord useless.

Like I said, there is no genie that you will free from the lamp by rubbing it. Replacing the socket, and if it's got a switch in the cord, leaving that on (or replacing it) will work fine, because a lamp is a machine and is not magic in any way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

That still happens with kiosks. You can fit more kiosks into the same space, but someone who doesn't know what to order is still going to take ages because he's got the exact same options presented to him.
Well a typical McD here will have 6-10 kiosks and 1 cashier (maybe 2 if it's really busy), so if someone is taking fifteen minutes to decide if they want a hamburger or a cheeseburger they can do that while I use another kiosk.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

atomicthumbs posted:

Like I said, there is no genie that you will free from the lamp by rubbing it. Replacing the socket, and if it's got a switch in the cord, leaving that on (or replacing it) will work fine, because a lamp is a machine and is not magic in any way.

I honestly don't get what you're suggesting. Replacing the weird proprietary lump (with a standardised threaded hole) that the bulb screws into?

I suspect we don't buy lamps quite the same places. :)

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Arrath posted:

Straight up can't? Here you have to sit and wait for the attendant to come check your ID. Thinking on it, just disallowing it would certainly speed things up.

disallowing it would slow things down because people would try it anyway then a clerk would come over and tell them it's not allowed. then they'll argue with the clerk a while and then have to go to a real checkout

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Grocery store self checkouts can gently caress off. I will never use them unless I only have a few items or when its late and they close all the regular registers. I have some sort of problem every single time. An item that won't scan, wrong price or accidentally scanning something twice. The scale that detects when you put something in the bag is retarded and forces the attendant to override something before you can continue. Self checkout takes longer every single time and it needs to be obsolete immediately.

The thing with the scales was hosed and I was glad when my grocery store stopped using that, now I don't have any trouble with the self checkouts. They must have figured the increased theft was worth not having to put on extra staff to handle all the problems. Maybe they still use the scales in areas where they have more theft?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Computer viking posted:

I honestly don't get what you're suggesting. Replacing the weird proprietary lump (with a standardised threaded hole) that the bulb screws into?

I suspect we don't buy lamps quite the same places. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B68Y4hjY_d0

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Huh, I've never seen a socket like that. Probably weird regional variation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Computer viking posted:

Huh, I've never seen a socket like that. Probably weird regional variation.

Seriously? Is that a joke or something?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

flosofl posted:

A cylindrical lump that you screw a bulb into? Sure.
Pushbutton toggle underneath like that? Maybe one of the floor lamps my grandparents have?

I guess you could replace the sockets on the IKEA lamps that have filled most of the rooms I've lived in with something similar, but I'd be deeply surprised if they interchanged with anything else - IKEA seems to follow their own standards. Or maybe I just need to pay closer attention to lamps ... I'll make a point of studying the next normal lamps I run across a bit closer than usual. :D

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Computer viking posted:

A cylindrical lump that you screw a bulb into? Sure.
Pushbutton toggle underneath like that? Maybe one of the floor lamps my grandparents have?

I guess you could replace the sockets on the IKEA lamps that have filled most of the rooms I've lived in with something similar, but I'd be deeply surprised if they interchanged with anything else - IKEA seems to follow their own standards.

They still use a standard socket for a bulb. A threaded, conductive socket is just two terminals connected directly to hot and neutral. A toggle-switch is still a switch, it's just connected to the socket using wires instead of being integrated. In fact in that case the power cables probably are connected to the switch which in turn is connected to the socket.

The only difficulty would be the cowling around the socket. It's very likely IKEA stuff isn't made to be removed/serviced.

I guess your use of the word "proprietary" threw me off. It isn't. It's the same thing whether the switch is integrated into the socket or not.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Self-checkouts are great if you only need one or two things and grandma isn't in front of you taking several millennia to ring up her produce, but recently there's been this bullshit thing going around social media that essentially says "The employee working at the self checks has to ring up your order at her private register if you go to her! Take advantage of this if all the other registers are full!" so now if there's a problem with my order at the self-checks I get to wait a half hour while she processes an entire cart full of poo poo for someone who thinks he or she is so fuckin' clever

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But can you self-checkout a propietary lightbulb socket switch?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Boiled Water posted:

A burger robot would probably make as many mistakes as we've seen robot cars make. That is essentially none.

They've come a long way!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

flosofl posted:

They still use a standard socket for a bulb. A threaded, conductive socket is just two terminals connected directly to hot and neutral. A toggle-switch is still a switch, it's just connected to the socket using wires instead of being integrated. In fact in that case the power cables probably are connected to the switch which in turn is connected to the socket.

The only difficulty would be the cowling around the socket. It's very likely IKEA stuff isn't made to be removed/serviced.

I guess your use of the word "proprietary" threw me off. It isn't. It's the same thing whether the switch is integrated into the socket or not.

That "only difficulty" takes it from "oh just replace it" to practically impossible, though. Thus "proprietary" - it's a IKEA-specific lump that you can't realistically replace parts of, nor replace in its entirety without a lot of bodging. The screw socket and cables are standard, of course.

And yes, of course it's the same where on the lead between wall and bulb you put the switch. I've just never run into anything made during my lifetime that put the switch on the actual socket like that. Digging around the spare part stores I did find one - so I guess they exist here too.

(Personally, I'd put a switch on the cable if he one on the lamp was stupid - seems easier.)

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 14:55 on May 24, 2016

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

flosofl posted:

The video you linked showed some pretty common lamp fixtures but maybe he is, like, rich and they have fancier lamps or maybe he lives someplace that is not America and their normal lamp switches are different or maybe he is really dumb and can't conceive of something being different than he is used to

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I sometimes just got to the bar next to Subway, order from the app, have a drink and then go pick it up (without waiting in line).

I wouldn't care if a robot made it, but I don't know if robot technology is quite ready to always include one olive when I say "no olives". That's the human touch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mng posted:

They've come a long way!

Nah, this is just the robot that's had enough of your poo poo and quit!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

titties posted:

The video you linked showed some pretty common lamp fixtures but maybe he is, like, rich and they have fancier lamps or maybe he lives someplace that is not America and their normal lamp switches are different or maybe he is really dumb and can't conceive of something being different than he is used to

Mixture of the two latter, and perhaps the opposite of the first? Houses and apartments are smaller here and interior design a bit different. I mean, I get the idea, it's just completely foreign (very literally so, I guess). :)

Anyway. This is the dumbest derail I've ever caused; apologies.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Twist-knobs built into the socket are the Norm in the US for most floor and desk lamps. On-cord click-wheels or foot-pedals are abberations, and furthermore everyone hates them because they aren't always in the exact same place relative to the bulb so you have to actually look for them instead of being able to quickly, blindly locate the switch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mng posted:

They've come a long way!

The first one doesn't actually put any ketchup or mustard on.

These bots need to work together.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mostlygray posted:

I used to work for a company that produced POS equipment for Wendy's. We experimented with self-service kiosks as a QSR methodology. It was complete garbage and never worked with customer flow. Humans can route traffic and take orders 10 times faster than a touch screen. Every time we tried to make it work, it failed. It slows service and causes your drop chart to become confusing as there isn't constant human feedback based on intuition.

Sheetz (500+ stores), Wawa (700+) , and Royal Farms (160+) all use kiosks for ordering and they work fine, so I'm not sure what the problem was with what you guys were doing. Wawa's been using them since 2002.

Hopefully obsolete technology: Conventional taxis. Jesus. Uber/Lyft/etc aren't allowed to pick up at PHX yet, so while I took an Uber to the airport I had to take a regular cab home.

Uber to airport:
Nice clean car
Functional air conditioning
Check engine light not illuminated
Free bottle of water
Driver didn't have to ask me for directions
Easy payment
Didn't get raped
$15

Cab home from airport:
lovely beat up car
Broken A/C
Check engine light on steadily
Driver needed my help to get to my hotel
Complicated payment; when I went to swipe my card through the card reader in the back I was told it wasn't working and he instead wanted me to swipe my card through the card reader attached to his phone (which seemed dodgy as gently caress and although I did watch him log on to a legit bank site to process the payment I'm still going to watch that card like a hawk in case he was skimming it. Usually the cabbies in Philly (who are the worst in the world) just claim that the card reader's broken and they need you to pay them in cash, but pushing the issue and saying you have no cash magically fixes the machine, but I've never had one say "But you can use mine attached to my phone" before.)
Didn't get raped
$40

Yeah, I know the argument that ride-sharing services have an advantage because they don't have to deal with all the restrictions placed on cab drivers and that those services should have to compete with taxis on a "level playing field", but if the restrictions placed on cab drivers are what make that level of service cost almost three loving times as much, then level the playing field by dropping those restrictions.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 17:23 on May 24, 2016

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

While I do think this will happen eventually, I want to see what one of these looks like after several years of grease have accumulated in and on it. I opened up a PC from the office of a McDonald's once, and the thing was just full of sludge.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Phanatic posted:

Uber to airport:
Nice clean car
Functional air conditioning
Check engine light not illuminated
Free bottle of water
Driver didn't have to ask me for directions
Easy payment
Didn't get raped
$15
The last Uber I took: Got so lost that I spent 15 minutes asking her what landmarks she could see and wound up walking a block down to the closest major street and waving frantically. Started to drive through a red light until I stopped her, and explained that the light at the next block was green. Was about to miss the turnoff to the DMV (which she said she knew how to get to, so no need for Uber map) when I said "Turn here!"

My anecdote does not trump your anecdote, but data trumps both of us.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The last Uber I took: Got so lost that I spent 15 minutes asking her what landmarks she could see and wound up walking a block down to the closest major street and waving frantically. Started to drive through a red light until I stopped her, and explained that the light at the next block was green. Was about to miss the turnoff to the DMV (which she said she knew how to get to, so no need for Uber map) when I said "Turn here!"

Look on the bright side - you still didn't get raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Toast Museum posted:

While I do think this will happen eventually, I want to see what one of these looks like after several years of grease have accumulated in and on it. I opened up a PC from the office of a McDonald's once, and the thing was just full of sludge.

The thing you usually do in food industry is clean equipment. This also applies to robots.