Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Atoramos posted:

Also my wife chain-crashes after a bit of play with 'Rendering device has been lost', but she's running the same build I am with a 760. Latest drivers. Tried reinstalling Windows 10 last night, but no dice. She's pulling her hair out and I'm not sure what to suggest (I'll be getting a new card once the 1080's are actually available, so she can try swapping for my card then...)

Amd card on Windows 10? I had to do this recently

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
I hate all you guys for getting actual decent stuff out of loot boxes. I opened up 9 last night and the best I got was the pink skin for Mei (who I don't even play). I didn't even get any victory poses or emotes or voice lines or anything like that. All sprays and player icons. The one epic I did get was currency.

I just know I'm going to have to buy loot boxes :smith:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Some team stacked 4 Reinhardts, a Lucio, and some rando against us to push on Route 66. They bullied the first stretch really easy because I was the only one who could really gently caress with them as Junkrat. After we got a few switches to things they struggle with, holy poo poo we dunked on them so hard.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SiliconX posted:

I hate all you guys for getting actual decent stuff out of loot boxes. I opened up 9 last night and the best I got was the pink skin for Mei (who I don't even play). I didn't even get any victory poses or emotes or voice lines or anything like that. All sprays and player icons. The one epic I did get was currency.

Loot boxes seem a little less generous than beta but Im not cynical enough to believe that blizzard really tuned down drop rate or anything like that. I got my orange squid icon in my first box so I know Blizzard loves me anyway

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
I ran into a lot of games last night after my buddies went to bed where the enemy team had a Reinhardt and Roadhog. That is a bloody nasty combo.

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.

Ddraig posted:

Tracer gets Goth, Zarya gets Rivethead. There's a difference :colbert:

Tracer gets punk because she's from Landan

Zarya gets industrial goth because she's from Eastern Europe

That's the idea I think, but the tracer skin is more pop-punk and it kinda sucks.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
the best thing is reflecting High Noon with Genji.

They can't help themselves. They gotta click!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How do you deal with a team that has a lot of tanky heroes?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SiliconX posted:

I got a ton of sprays. I hate sprays.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol if you don't know how to properly flank with DVa

fadam posted:

Yeah you're right bitching about it instead of getting better is the way to go.

Nothx, I'll just Winston instead and actually get something done. Also lol I'd you think you're actually doing something as D.Va in pub play, course her ult is fun to catch the occasional unaware pubbie.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

net cafe scandal posted:

Loot boxes seem a little less generous than beta but Im not cynical enough to believe that blizzard really tuned down drop rate or anything like that. I got my orange squid icon in my first box so I know Blizzard loves me anyway

Out of the 7 boxes my friend opened last night, he got a skin for each one and legendary ones for 5 of them -___- I got a bronze Pharah at least?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Welp. I golded healing with 76 compared to our Mercy. Granted I started as Lucio but I quickly dropped him because our team comp had nobody to loving heal (i.e. flankers, snipers, people on a thousand year vision quest to find kills)

This was my experience last night. I'm all excited to play a support role, and then my entire team is snipers hanging out 300 yards from the objective.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can't believe there are people that are suggesting Blizzard should limit the character selection so you can't have duplicate characters on the same team. That would be stupid aaaaaaaaaas gently caress

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

They shouldnt restrict characters since double heroes can make for really interesting team comps and gimmick teams are fun and seem to be effective in public matches at least

You haven't overwatched yet if you haven't pubstomped by attaching five Bastions to the payload with a Reinhardt up front, imo

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

prom candy posted:

Junkrat, McCree, Reaper are all obvious choices. Bastion works too depending, especially Bastion+Mercy combo.

Depends on the tank heroes of course as to who is best.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

prom candy posted:

McCree's flashbang-fan the hammer combo can kill tanks easily since they are so big. Hitting the ground in front of them with Hanzo's arrows will shoot them all into the tank, good chance of death. Widowmaker pounding away at them will take them down pretty easily.

Aside from that it depends on what tank you are referring to. Reaper is a hard counter to Winston but has issues with Roadhog, etc

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

prom candy posted:

Anything that hits them hard as gently caress from outside their effective range, and pile on it. McCree, Junkrat, Widow, Hanzo, Bastion, etc.

Reaper shreds tanks but I'm assuming you're talking about them clumping close together enough that it's hard to isolate them 1v1.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

ive never had more than one widowmaker on any team ive been on or been against. not sure why everyone complains about this all the time

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Macaluso posted:

I can't believe there are people that are suggesting Blizzard should limit the character selection so you can't have duplicate characters on the same team. That would be stupid aaaaaaaaaas gently caress

why

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

prom candy posted:

Good flankers. Tracers and Genjis zipping around to distract them and do chip damage, Parahs good too cause you can bounce them around with the E blast. Always target healers first though. Most tanks actually go down pretty fast without a healer.

Also get around them with characters like junkrat to bounce them around with the sticky bomb and root them place with the bear trap.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Zenyatta basically cuts enemy HP in half, just throw an orb and swing away (from range)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
The correct answer is Reaper. Genji is not a tank counter.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i bought the 50 pack of loot boxes as soon as I saw they were available, no shame

from what I can remember I got:

the only player icon i actually wanted, the one of bastion's bird (president bird)
the white anubis skin for Pharah (pretty sweet actually)
green mei (mei more like meh)
blackbeard torbjorn :yarr:
nomad genji (legit my favorite genji skin)
EL BLANCO reaper :ese: (actually i got this one out of a level up box later but still) :ese:
jet black 76 (so cool)
utopaea symmetra (very pretty)

and a bunch of other recolors and stuff and like 1300 coins, more than enough to get the Auditiva skin for lucio and all the correct voice lines and sprays i wanted so all in all a rounding success

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

yard salad posted:

ive never had more than one widowmaker on any team ive been on or been against. not sure why everyone complains about this all the time

It only takes one windowmaker to shutdown an alleyway if they're coming from Counter-Strike or something similar, usually it's just frustrating if your team gets stuck with babbys's first time sniping vs some trick-shot professional.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Because I don't want to be restricted to what characters I can pick just because someone else on the team picked the same one?

or is this a trick question

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, however that's still not a good reason to allow multiple instances of a character in a game with 21 of them.

the most fun games are when its all different characters so there are the most variables at play

Limiting character choices reduces, rather than increases the variables. You got it exactly backwards.

Fighting 6 Meis in a zany game of "scramble to counter the gimmick comp" is infinitely more fun than having to fight a balanced coordinated team which really just means yet another round of "fail for 5 minutes break the Reinhardt/Bastion/Healer pile."

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Amd card on Windows 10? I had to do this recently

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166

Nope, the 760's a Nvidia card. I've ran the game on it just fine for the longest time. I'm completely out of ideas other than 'weird driver issue Blizzard has to patch out' but since it's been going on for months I doubt that's the case. And since she runs Oculus Rift games, I don't think it's an overheating problem.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Limiting character choices reduces, rather than increases the variables. You got it exactly backwards.

Fighting 6 Meis in a zany game of "scramble to counter the gimmick comp" is infinitely more fun than having to fight a balanced coordinated team which really just means yet another round of "fail for 5 minutes break the Reinhardt/Bastion/Healer pile."

This is entirely correct. The game is intentionally balanced around swapping characters in a match, and you're expected to do so. The game is balanced enough where you can counter 6 meis or bastions or torbjorns just fine, and it's way more fun to allow such things. Sorry if you keep solo queuing and ending up with a ton of Hanzo, but if they were limited you'd end up with Widowmaker/Hanzo/Torbjorn/Bastion/Soldier/Reaper comps every game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

prom candy posted:

reaper fucks up tanks pretty hard; most of them have armor which reduces damage taken especially by attacks that fire small shots rapidly but reaper's shotguns don't respect armor and just kill you anyway

plus tanks are usually big and thus easy to meatshot

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
PSA if the enemy team is running mass duplicates of a hero then that's much easier to adjust and shut down than a varied composition

Whining about five Torbjörns ranks pretty far up though

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Macaluso posted:

It's kind of an elephant in the room in comp play but I saw a "one-ofs only" tourney and while there were more heroes per team, it didn't make the comps any more diverse. Every team was just McCree, Reinhardt, Lucio, Mercy, Widow, and then either like Genji or Pharah. Symmetra when the map calls for it. I honestly don't know how you fix it. Demoting McCree from God status is probably a good start but there's just a lot of characters whose whole deal is they shine in a narrow set of circumstances or exist to punish low-experience mistakes like Roadhog and Mei.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to group with the Goon Troop

How do I do that

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

prom candy posted:

Pharah does an excellent job against most tanks. She can get above Reinhardt's shield, can usually outrange Roadhog and Winston, and can pursue Zarya to prevent her shields from recharging. Since a lot of the tanks are really slow, it's much easier to get direct hits.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
So, it was pointed out to me that Pharah apparently doesn't have any actual limbs? Her design has full-on mechanical joints in her knees and other areas to indicate that she must just be a head or torso on an Omnic body.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, however that's still not a good reason to allow multiple instances of a character in a game with 21 of them.

the most fun games are when its all different characters so there are the most variables at play

Maybe for you, but I've also had fun games where we stack, like the last game of Nepal I played with 5 Roadhogs and a Lucio.

Just because you don't like to play that way doesn't mean it's the most fun for everyone. The game wasn't designed to restrict it to one hero per team. It's been that way from the beginning and if that's causing you to not have fun with it, that's 100% on you.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've been trying to get better as Genji so I can counter Bastion and get some assassination in, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how he plays. I slink around and plink people with my ninja stars. When I'm ready to take on Bastion or when someone is shooting me at medium range, I hit e and charge. After my e wears off, they kill me while I desperately try to eke out a little more damage.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

President Ark posted:

reaper fucks up tanks pretty hard; most of them have armor which reduces damage taken especially by attacks that fire small shots rapidly but reaper's shotguns don't respect armor and just kill you anyway

plus tanks are usually big and thus easy to meatshot

Reaper's shotguns ignore armor? What kind of weirdo design is that? Is there like an encyclopedia somewhere where i can read about mystery mechanics?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Macaluso posted:

Because I don't want to be restricted to what characters I can pick just because someone else on the team picked the same one?

or is this a trick question

Works just fine in other games, and helps you learn other heroes instead of only being widowmaker and making sicc headshots. Plus it means fighting more varied opponents rather then and endless stream of mcrees, widowmakers, reapers, bastions, and dwarfs.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

If you can't beat a bastion reinhardt and mercy then im not sure how you will be able to adjust your team to handle dumb gimmick comps.

Brannock posted:

PSA if the enemy team is running mass duplicates of a hero then that's much easier to adjust and shut down than a varied composition

Whining about five Torbjörns ranks pretty far up though
The point was that is specific to Anubis as the attackers have only 1 path they must go through in some manner, and 5 dwarfs can turn it into a shooting gallery while not being at risk of being sniped, reapered, or genji'd. It negates all fo the normal counters since you cannot outrange them, cannot get behind or flank them, and cannot adequately reflect back damage from 10 directions.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Thoughtless posted:

Reaper's shotguns ignore armor? What kind of weirdo design is that? Is there like an encyclopedia somewhere where i can read about mystery mechanics?

it's not that they ignore armor, it's that despite being a cluster of pellets they still are treated by armor as only one shot, so they still do a shitload of damage to armored characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thoughtless posted:

They don't ignore armor. Armor reduces each individual damage packet by a flat amount. Every pellet from a single firing of Reaper's shotguns is grouped together into a single damage packet, meaning that armor is much less effective against shotgun-type weapons compared to other hitscan weapons.