Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Self-checkouts are great if you only need one or two things and grandma isn't in front of you taking several millennia to ring up her produce, but recently there's been this bullshit thing going around social media that essentially says "The employee working at the self checks has to ring up your order at her private register if you go to her! Take advantage of this if all the other registers are full!" so now if there's a problem with my order at the self-checks I get to wait a half hour while she processes an entire cart full of poo poo for someone who thinks he or she is so fuckin' clever

I would enjoy seeing their faces when they get told no, go line up with everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Boiled Water posted:

The thing you usually do in food industry is clean equipment. This also applies to robots.

Sure, and I'd assume that the bits that actually touch food get scrubbed down regularly. When it comes to internal spaces that require disassembly to reach, I'm less optimistic. Unless the cleaning is also automated, I guess.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jedit posted:

Look on the bright side - you still didn't get raped.

She probably couldn't have found the vulva anyway

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The last Uber I took: Got so lost that I spent 15 minutes asking her what landmarks she could see and wound up walking a block down to the closest major street and waving frantically. Started to drive through a red light until I stopped her, and explained that the light at the next block was green. Was about to miss the turnoff to the DMV (which she said she knew how to get to, so no need for Uber map) when I said "Turn here!"

My anecdote does not trump your anecdote, but data trumps both of us.

I only ever had one driver be totally useless at getting to me. She started out about 10 minutes south when she accepted my request...and sat there for another 5 minutes without moving. When she finally got on the way, she started going the wrong way and getting further from me. By the time she turned around, it had been 20 minutes to drive a 10 minute route. Then she got spun around at a T-intersection a mile from my house. Then when she got to my neighborhood, she drove past it into a different neighborhood a few hundred yards down. She circled through the whole neighborhood, and finally begin driving further away from my neighborhood until I finally gave up, canceled, and requested someone else. I get the feeling she was driving without a GPS at all and was just trying to use half-remembered area knowledge to find my neighborhood.

I also had one very old driver who nearly missed turns and spent a few seconds driving into oncoming traffic on a mall's ring road before moving back over. But other than that, the majority of Uber rides I've taken (and I take them several times a week when I can't get a ride to or from work on time or need to get somewhere and the only car of the household is occupied) have been clean, comfortable, and had the driver using a good GPS like the Google Maps app to find their way. I usually only need to give minor direction, in one case because Uber hosed up and put the pin on the wrong location for the address.

The best part is that it's easily available. Less than a minute of silently fiddling with my phone can get me a cheap cab only a few minutes away, without needing to call a cab company and tell them my address while hoping they can dispatch something in a timely manner. Sanford and Altamonte are also jumping on board by subsidizing 20% to 25% the cost of Uber rides within their town borders, which only makes it cheaper and encourages people to ride.

I gave Uber the ultimate test last Thanksgiving week by using it several times in Manhattan, famously home to swarms of yellow cabs everywhere you turn. I only turned to Uber after spending about 5 minutes trying and failing to hail a cab on a freezing night with a sick mother who didn't feel up to the walking and climbing of going to the subway, as every single cab that passed was off-duty or already had passengers. I requested an Uber and it was only 2 minutes away, and the driver called to make sure of the right cross-street. It was cheaper than a yellow cab would have been and was totally effortless to hail. I can imagine the NYC taxi companies are loving livid about it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I've used TaxiMagic/Curb in the past, which works pretty similar to Uber but uses actual cab companies, that works out nicely. Especially as the cabs around here are pretty decent.

The last time I used Uber was to go from my apt to Disneyland, and I had to hold my drivers hands with directions on how to get to the drop-off area for the park. On the way back, we just said gently caress it and got into one of the cabs that was waiting at the curb there.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Toast Museum posted:

Sure, and I'd assume that the bits that actually touch food get scrubbed down regularly. When it comes to internal spaces that require disassembly to reach, I'm less optimistic. Unless the cleaning is also automated, I guess.

The robots I've encountered so far have been sealed. You spray them, polish them, clean with brushes or a high pressure hose. Insides stay there unless something is terribly wrong. Also if something requires disassemble to reach it is very unlikely it will ever touch food.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Self checkouts are the reason I can buy Pink Lady apples, as I put them through as Braeburn.

Gangsta as gently caress

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DarthBlingBling posted:

Self checkouts are the reason I can buy Pink Lady apples, as I put them through as Braeburn.

Gangsta as gently caress

you can put them through as bananas :ssh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

He's not a criminal

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

Vodka is just liquid potato, soo....

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DarthBlingBling posted:

Gangsta as gently caress

When I was very poor to borderline homeless I used to go to WinCo (A pacific northwest discount grocery chain) and ring up pancake mix as plain white flour because it was a difference of around a dollar per pound and pancake mix goes a long way.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Especially as the cabs around here are pretty decent.

That must be nice. The cabs in Philly are the worst I've ever been in, and that includes India. They drive like timid old ladies because they don't know how traffic works, they're crooked as hell, and not a single one of them knows where anything is. I once had to give one directions when the destination I told him was literally "go 10 blocks in the direction you are currently facing on the street you are currently on and then come to a stop." This is why whenever taxi companies tell me about all the regulations that exist to protect the consumer I die a little more inside.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 00:02 on May 25, 2016

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

That must be nice. The cabs in Philly are the worst I've ever been in, and that includes India. They drive like timid old ladies because they don't know how traffic works, they're crooked as hell, and not a single one of them knows where anything is. I once had to give one directions when the destination I told him was literally "go 10 blocks in the direction you are currently facing on the street you are currently on and then come to a stop." This is why whenever taxi companies tell me about all the regulations that exist to protect the consumer I die a little more inside.

You used a cab to drive you ten blocks?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wanamingo posted:

In the freezing, windy, pouring-rear end rain? Hell yes. Welcome to Philly winters.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Sheetz (500+ stores), Wawa (700+) , and Royal Farms (160+) all use kiosks for ordering and they work fine, so I'm not sure what the problem was with what you guys were doing. Wawa's been using them since 2002.

Hopefully obsolete technology: Conventional taxis. Jesus. Uber/Lyft/etc aren't allowed to pick up at PHX yet, so while I took an Uber to the airport I had to take a regular cab home.

Uber to airport:
Nice clean car
Functional air conditioning
Check engine light not illuminated
Free bottle of water
Driver didn't have to ask me for directions
Easy payment
Didn't get raped
$15

Cab home from airport:
lovely beat up car
Broken A/C
Check engine light on steadily
Driver needed my help to get to my hotel
Complicated payment; when I went to swipe my card through the card reader in the back I was told it wasn't working and he instead wanted me to swipe my card through the card reader attached to his phone (which seemed dodgy as gently caress and although I did watch him log on to a legit bank site to process the payment I'm still going to watch that card like a hawk in case he was skimming it. Usually the cabbies in Philly (who are the worst in the world) just claim that the card reader's broken and they need you to pay them in cash, but pushing the issue and saying you have no cash magically fixes the machine, but I've never had one say "But you can use mine attached to my phone" before.)
Didn't get raped
$40

Yeah, I know the argument that ride-sharing services have an advantage because they don't have to deal with all the restrictions placed on cab drivers and that those services should have to compete with taxis on a "level playing field", but if the restrictions placed on cab drivers are what make that level of service cost almost three loving times as much, then level the playing field by dropping those restrictions.

Uber is field testing driverless cars so yes cabs are going to disappear fast as hell. I could make several hundred dollars a day, and a company being able to put most of that into their pocket instead of paying a driver is a no-brainer (lol if you think they're gonna pass that savings on to the customer).

As far as PHX goes...

About 8 or 9 years ago the airport held "open" bidding for companies to apply to work the airport. Three bid the lowest, and were accepted. The problem? Two of them were fronts for the third, iirc. All the drivers knew this, and complained they were gonna get shafted by the monopoly but the airport didn't give a poo poo. Hard to believe this could happen in a state that literally sold its state capital then leased it back, but it did. So in case you were wondering why the cab was a shitbox, that's why.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Phanatic posted:

but if the restrictions placed on cab drivers are what make that level of service cost almost three loving times as much, then level the playing field by dropping those restrictions.

i hope you get bedbugs from an illegal jitney

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ryonguy posted:

Uber is field testing driverless cars so yes cabs are going to disappear fast as hell. I could make several hundred dollars a day, and a company being able to put most of that into their pocket instead of paying a driver is a no-brainer (lol if you think they're gonna pass that savings on to the customer).

That would be a really neat technological investment. I think Uber-style taxi systems are going to fare better than public ownership for 100% driverless cars, since I can see more people wanting to just hail a robocar to drive downtown than buying a car they're totally unable to drive manually.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

chitoryu12 posted:

That would be a really neat technological investment. I think Uber-style taxi systems are going to fare better than public ownership for 100% driverless cars, since I can see more people wanting to just hail a robocar to drive downtown than buying a car they're totally unable to drive manually.

Johnny Cab or nothing.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Collateral Damage posted:

You know any restaurant running a system like this will have like two people tending a hundred tables, because the entire point of automatic poo poo is so you can get away with less staff.

e: Also in the video each plate is compartmentalised like a cafeteria slop tray. Really gives you that high class dining feel. :thumbsup:

I could kind of see it working for food court scenarios, if we hadn't already solved that by just making the eater do the walking around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

The robots I've encountered so far have been sealed. You spray them, polish them, clean with brushes or a high pressure hose. Insides stay there unless something is terribly wrong. Also if something requires disassemble to reach it is very unlikely it will ever touch food.

Just like humans, really.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Sentient Data posted:

Back to content, I miss third party unofficial addons to games. I remember back in the 90s you could buy weird expansion packs to duke3d and doom in regular stores. This has been sort of taken over by the modding community, but it's just not the same.

Those were usually just a bunch of crap grabbed from online archives anyway, you can get the same experience downloading a bunch of random pwads from /idgames/.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eh, no mayo squirter, I doubt it'll catch on.

e: Also you can't just put the cheese on the patty when it's not on the grill, what are these robots, heathens? How is the cheese going to melt. Perfectly distributed lettuce confetti on my burger would be pretty nice though.

Plinkey has a new favorite as of 06:15 on May 25, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This robot has already made a mistake.

It put catsup on a burger. :colbert:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Platystemon posted:

This robot has already made a mistake.

It put catsup on a burger. :colbert:

To be fair the burger could be meant for a child.

Although it actually puts no condiments on the burger, because apparently bottle squeezing technology is immature.

Edit: Also the reason there is no mayo visible is because a perfect thin layer was hand-spread on the bottom bun by a bespoke harburger artisan in a previous step.

moller has a new favorite as of 07:26 on May 25, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

chitoryu12 posted:

Interestingly you probably won't see the disappearance of cabbies since no sane company is going to let random people get into a really expensive piece of new tech without someone watching them. So you'll probably see the existing taxi system only with the cab driver not doing any actual driving, just sitting in the front seat reading or whatever and making sure drunk people don't barf in the back or hookers aren't using ubers as mobile BJ wagons. I imagine cab drivers would be early adopters of self driving tech because who doesn't want a job where you just sit around and let a car drive for you?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Interestingly you probably won't see the disappearance of cabbies since no sane company is going to let random people get into a really expensive piece of new tech without someone watching them. So you'll probably see the existing taxi system only with the cab driver not doing any actual driving, just sitting in the front seat reading or whatever and making sure drunk people don't barf in the back or hookers aren't using ubers as mobile BJ wagons. I imagine cab drivers would be early adopters of self driving tech because who doesn't want a job where you just sit around and let a car drive for you?

http://betanews.com/2016/05/16/google-paying-20-an-hour-to-sit-in-self-driving-car/

quote:

Google will require the drivers to have a bachelor’s degree, a typing speed of over 40 words per minute and both a clean driving and criminal record. All of the work that they do with the company will also have to remain confidential and there will be a number of in- and out-of-car training courses to pass as well.

Honestly I'd rather do real work. for 40k a year.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Why the hell would they require a bachelor's degree?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

Because Google.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

A degree is like the standard for getting a "good" job now. Even for jobs that a trained monkey could do, companies think that a degree is an indicator of success and ignore anyone without it.

I managed to get my current job by just claiming to be doing online courses and starting with menial work to get my foot in the door at the company, while using the Internet to learn about a bunch of poo poo and gradually expanding my role by volunteering to take on more jobs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know that's the attitude in the US, and it's migrating to here as well. Some companies would rather hire a fresh-faced newbie with a degree, than someone with actual experience in the field.

As something with no degree, but an apprenticeship and 8 years of relevant work experience, this sucks rear end if/when I have to look for a new job.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At least all of you can type more than 40 words per minute because of all your terrible posts.

Honestly, I don't know why you need a degree for it, but I thought it was dumb too. I think it's a symptom of the new intelect economy, whereas you need some kind of degree to do even menial work, I don't agree with it because anyone can sit behind a steering wheel and take notes, but I guess Google wants better grammar, who knows.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Mister Kingdom posted:

Johnny Cab or nothing.

There is a airport transfer company (I think he was a 1 van operator) called Johnny Cab in Honolulu. He was fantastic. I really hoped he wore a costume for comedic effect - but alas no.

I was a bad tourist and a bad tipper as we don't usually tip in Australia. I made sure I booked him for our families transfer back to the airport so I could make up for it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

I once decided to walk because "it's only ten blocks". Turns out blocks on a Chinese metropolis map in a Lonely Planet guide are a tad different size than blocks in my home town so it took me two hours.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

KozmoNaut posted:

Class warfare

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KozmoNaut posted:

If you receive 500 applications per job opening it's an easier marker to remove applicants by.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Boiled Water posted:

If you receive 500 applications per job opening it's an easier marker to remove applicants by.

So is hair color.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And sex. And age.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Skin color works really well because you don't even have to speak with the applicant or look at his or her resume. Makes the job much easier.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Skin color works really well because you don't even have to speak with the applicant or look at his or her resume. Makes the job much easier.

For some reason, people don't list that on their resumes much these days.

Much easier to select by whether they have a foreign-sounding name. That's an industry-standard method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

spog posted:

For some reason, people don't list that on their resumes much these days.

They don't do that anymore? poo poo, that was the highlight of my bio section:

Height: 5'11"
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Skin Color: The Best One (you know the one I mean)