Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Nitrousoxide posted:

"busy working on the first free patch"

Can't wait for the first paid patch.

Must you? We fairly often launch patches along side DLCs, so we commonly talk about free patches vs DLC-locked changes.

Alchenar posted:

You've already self-selected for poor decision making there

Yeah well, I think buying TFH if you disliked HoI3 would be a worse one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Darkrenown posted:

Must you? We fairly often launch patches along side DLCs, so we commonly talk about free patches vs DLC-locked changes.

Aww, c'mon. We know that! This is a comedy forum, that person was clearly joking.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

DrSunshine posted:

Aww, c'mon. We know that! This is a comedy forum, that person was clearly joking.

*looks over at HOI4 thread* :stonklol:
Not so sure anymore...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I was being facetious.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Athaboros posted:

I see this sentiment in lots of places these days -- what do people consider to be the 'best' version of EU4, then? Since you can roll back to previous patches in Steam, I'd like to compare how it's changed over the past year or two.

I think most people say Common Sense, or rather thr bug fixing patch that came out after that. 1.13 I think? I might be wrong.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was being facetious.

Sorry then!

Please accept my CK2 DD to make amends:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-development-diary-7-get-sicker-and-die-harder.936920/

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drone posted:

I had it constantly happening in October of 1941, regardless of what I was doing / what speed I played the game on / etc. It was really annoying because my Italy playthrough had just gotten really good at that time too.

I think it might be because of the Pearl Harbor decision when the United States has gone fascist (which I made happen thanks to spies) :toot:)

To be fair, I don't really expect Paradox to guarantee a CTD-free EU: Rome if you play it all the way to 1941.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

GrossMurpel posted:

To be fair, I don't really expect Paradox to guarantee a CTD-free EU: Rome if you play it all the way to 1941.

Hey, some people are dedicated for their Grand Campaigns.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
i don't think Paradox Plaza is as bad as most people here make it out to be, but then every now and then:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-pulls-workshop-mod-down-for-altering-human-phenotypes.936991/&sdpDevPosts=0

lol

"altering human phenotypes"

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Koramei posted:

i don't think Paradox Plaza is as bad as most people here make it out to be, but then every now and then:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-pulls-workshop-mod-down-for-altering-human-phenotypes.936991/&sdpDevPosts=0

lol

"altering human phenotypes"

Slavery and genocide no problem but human whites only mods go too far!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Riso posted:

Paradox posted:

We saw the mod, thought it wasn't in very good taste, but let it remain. Then the creator of the mod decided to update the description of the mod to promote an "agenda" not related to computer games at all, and this was being clearly displayed on our product page. We decided it was a step too far and removed it. Eurogamer did not do a good job describing what exactly it was we removed.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Mountain meet racist molehill.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I can applaud getting rid of only some of the Nazis. I might want rid of all of them, but some is still better than none.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The plaza is coming from inside the thread.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Only having white pops is less racist though, that way you cannot enslave or purge anyone but whites.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The mod had a sidebar link to a goddamn white supremacist YouTube channel

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

walgreenslatino posted:

The mod had a sidebar link to a goddamn white supremacist YouTube channel

Hahahahahaha. Yeah, gonna have to side with the Paradox crew on this one.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That explains why that one disappeared but why was the "make space great again" mod removed?

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

Athaboros posted:

I see this sentiment in lots of places these days -- what do people consider to be the 'best' version of EU4, then? Since you can roll back to previous patches in Steam, I'd like to compare how it's changed over the past year or two.

Heres the thing though, they've bundled alot of genuinely good mechanics with the terrible ones, I'd say anytime before Forts was pretty swell.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Riso posted:

Yes, because it's blindingly obvious what the intent is in the latter case.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Neobdragon posted:

Heres the thing though, they've bundled alot of genuinely good mechanics with the terrible ones, I'd say anytime before Forts was pretty swell.

Yeah. A lot of it is of course subjective, but I'd also point to when they reworked the entire building system, which was at around the same time. Apparently that was when Common Sense was released. I'm not saying the changes that were introduced around that period were necessarily bad, they probably solved quite a few issues, but I still remember thinking 'wow, that's a really major overhaul of a core mechanic for a game that's been out for two years'.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Riso posted:

Curious what your forums search string is to always show up so quickly.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

cool and good posted:

Curious what your forums search string is to always show up so quickly.

Click the little grey star on the left of the blue border at the top and bottom of the page, this adds a thread to your favourites. Then you can see when there are updates to your favourite threads at your control panel http://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Athaboros posted:

In CK2 the complaint about bloat is pretty reasonable, but the only actual "bad" mechanic implemented thus far is corruption, which only serves to make playing outside of Europe more of a chore. Estates aren't particularly good but they don't actually harm the base game, and would probably be fine if they had a better UI system/some more interesting interactions.

Anyone who thinks adding forts was a bad thing is also totally insane

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Enjoy posted:

Click the little grey star on the left of the blue border at the top and bottom of the page, this adds a thread to your favourites. Then you can see when there are updates to your favourite threads at your control panel http://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php

I can't tell if this is you not getting his joke about Riso being the forums Nazi or a cunning multi-layer joke about racism issues always coming up in the Paradox thread.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

blackmongoose posted:

I can't tell if this is you not getting his joke about Riso being the forums Nazi or a cunning multi-layer joke about racism issues always coming up in the Paradox thread.

It was a passive-aggressive joke about his joke not being funny enough to recognise as a joke, if you must know!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Enjoy posted:

It was a passive-aggressive joke about his joke not being funny enough to recognise as a joke, if you must know!

hmm well yours was even worse

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enjoy posted:

You can dress a whiny sniveling comment up as a joke but it doesn't make it one

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

You can dress a whiny sniveling comment up as a joke but it doesn't make it one

Don't sign your posts

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Why do you guys always gotta bring the thread down.

And that's saying something given the current hot topic in paradox land.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Neobdragon posted:

Forts own actually (when they dont occasionally flip out and if the AI could manage their budget properly)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Athaboros posted:

Patched Art of War was loving amazing.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just wanna play Hearts of Iron 4

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

So it sounds like the golden age for EU4 was somewhere between 1.9 in late 2014 and 1.13 in late 2015. I played it a bit briefly earlier this year, so I'll roll back to those to see how different it is.

Coming into it fresh when I did, it definitely seemed like a lot had been added later that was never really explained, or that features had been added without the interface really catching up with them. Anyway, I'll give those versions a shot to see how it compares.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
As a new comer to both EU4 and CK2 is there anything I can do to "restore" the games to "their ideal stage"?

I've got all the DLC. I know I can disable the DLC specifically during startup (gently caress you Conclave and your stupid Councils) but is there anyway to rollback the game versions?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Go to properties, betas, previous versions. People really overblow the issue though, especially in EU4. If you've never played the game before especially you should just try the new mechanics.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Kris xK posted:

...is there anyway to rollback the game versions?

Yeah. On Steam, you can just go into the game properties, and then into the "betas" tab, which allows you to choose a specific patch version to play. Not sure how this affects DLC, but since I'm basically a new player too I was also trying to figure out when the best version was so I could do the same thing.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Okay nice I'll try that. I'm using it more for when watching/reading guides, although it hasn't been too bad so far, even tho most of the guides I find are from 2014.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bear in mind that we're nostalgic. If you're just starting out, you have no idea what's changed and no preconceptions on what EUIV is supposed to be, so give the most recent version a chance. You might like it as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I haven't really minded any of the DLC changes to EU4 or CK2 myself, but I will say that Paradox isn't really great about documenting what's new and changed with each DLC/patch within the game itself. You pretty much need to look up dev diaries and the wiki to get a proper grasp on whatever's been added, and often how it works. I know there's a lot of tooltips lying around the place to help explain what's going on, but finding them and the features attached to them is still kinda like going home to a cluttered house and then finding out that someone added and rearranged a bunch of stuff and attached post-it notes to everything they changed - you'll figure out all that's happened eventually, but it'd take longer than you'd think to find everything and get used to it.

I dunno if there's really a better solution than what Paradox does now, given how complex everything is and how any mini-tutorials would need constant patching, but it'd be nice if a solution could be found.