Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Knifegrab posted:

I have been both cursed and lucky. Cursed because SteamVR fails a lot, like randomly when I start it it says a key component has stopped working and it won't work right. I have been lucky because every time this has happened a reboot has solved the issue.

SteamVR 100% needs work.

I sometimes have issues where it says a component isn't working or the compositor stopped. Luckily the second one is just a link to start the compositor (why doesn't it just do this itself?) and the first works with a SteamVR reboot. I think they finally fixed the issue where it wouldn't recognize the HDMI no matter how many times you restarted the Vive, SteamVR or Steam itself.

Edit: Also, I added some info on play space and audio to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cojawfee posted:

I sometimes have issues where it says a component isn't working or the compositor stopped. Luckily the second one is just a link to start the compositor (why doesn't it just do this itself?) and the first works with a SteamVR reboot. I think they finally fixed the issue where it wouldn't recognize the HDMI no matter how many times you restarted the Vive, SteamVR or Steam itself.

Edit: Also, I added some info on play space and audio to the OP.

I've tried the SteamVR reboot thing but maybe not recently enough, I'll give it a shot next time it happens cheers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The resolution is good enough on the headsets now that I think playing regular games in Bigscreen/Virtual Desktop is pretty reasonable. I've been playing Diablo 3 and Overwatch and it's been pretty fun. Because my desktop is currently setup in my living room it's sort of my only option, but I'll probably keep doing it once I move everything back to my bedroom.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Both headsets resolutions just aren't there yet. The rift's has an edge for sure and that must be nice when using it as a monitor replacement but in my head neither are really good enough to want to sit in longer term instead of just using a monitor.

I worry that not even next generation will have a high enough resolution to eliminate SDE. Because after having used the Vive (and the company ordered Rift now to a certain extent too) for long swaths of time we really are quite far away from the golden retinal resolutions.

I suspect it'll be at least two generations out before total monitor replacement is not just practical but quality wise equivalent.

But I do agree playing certain non-vr games in the headset is still a lot of fun.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, to use it as a monitor you have to make screen real estate sacrifices by making all the text larger and stuff, but for games that aren't text heavy I think it's pretty fine. The novelty of sitting here instead of at my desk as well as having the screen appear bigger is worth the tradeoff for me.

I wouldn't want to do actual work using it though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Yeah, to use it as a monitor you have to make screen real estate sacrifices by making all the text larger and stuff, but for games that aren't text heavy I think it's pretty fine. The novelty of sitting here instead of at my desk as well as having the screen appear bigger is worth the tradeoff for me.

Is that the new alternative to virtual desktop? Do you think its better than VD?

Yeah when I first got my vive I blew up my browser zoom to like 175% and convinced myself I would do it forever. But things fade and its just not practical.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Is that the new alternative to virtual desktop? Do you think its better than VD?

Yeah when I first got my vive I blew up my browser zoom to like 175% and convinced myself I would do it forever. But things fade and its just not practical.

I like it better than Venereal Disease because I like having it be a more physical location than hovering in space. I also like the settings for moving the screen around better, VD doesn't give you as many options for positioning. That might change with workshop stuff, but so far it's mostly 360 spheres. It also gives you the option to be in the same room as other people, which works pretty well and is pretty cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't really used either since I first got them. I do use Virtual Desktop with Assetto Corsa though. I can use Virtual Desktop to access the menus and get everything set up and when I hit the drive button, it automatically switches to Assetto Corsa on the rift.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TomR posted:

Need some truck sim reviews up there.

Edit: Link to the truck sim thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761915

I said it in the truck sim thread - it looks really neat in ETS and ATS, there's a great sense of space in the cab, but it made me SUPER motion sick like no other game has. I think it is because I instinctually know what driving a car should feel like as opposed to flying a spacecraft or moving in some weird space. Going from like a slow rolling start with no actual sensation of movement was completely :barf:

Chronus is pretty amazing, Outlands is cute and very pretty for free, Darknet is a cool puzzle-ish hacking game, and Crystal Rift seems like a decent, if somewhat limited, dungeon crawler. Subnautica looks super cool in VR (an undersea survival/crafting game) although it's very "early access" in that regard and some stuff is a little hard to read. Same with Solus Project (an alien world survival/crafting game). All worth considering for the OP, I'm not sure how many of those are Rift only.

Also I'm running below specs at the moment (on a 780 until the new video cards drop shortly) and I've been pleasantly surprised that things actually run pretty smoothly at low settings.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Reposting this from the previous thread as I didn't find an answer, if anyone knows, yet:

Me posted:

Is Cubicle supposed to end after
You see the flying folder in the sky and come back to a somewhat trashed desk? Folders are on the floor and either by design or by glitch switch between red and black intermittenly. It seems like a narrative end, but is there something I'm missing or does it close by itself once you get to the end? I had to close it manually.

Also I see this thread is off to a great start already!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_0o5Eqtu-0

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't really used either since I first got them. I do use Virtual Desktop with Assetto Corsa though. I can use Virtual Desktop to access the menus and get everything set up and when I hit the drive button, it automatically switches to Assetto Corsa on the rift.

Oh man, I'm dumb, I didn't even think of that.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Poetic Justice posted:

Oh man, I'm dumb, I didn't even think of that.

Me neither, and I'm using the Vive, so I should be able to just use the SteamVR Home->"Desktop" view to go through the desktop menus. Good thinking!

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Great thread with no console-warrioring so far - yay!

Lemming posted:

So I tried using Big Screen to play a game... specifically XCOM2... and the game started lagging like crazy. I guess VR is already using the CPU/GPU up enough that a CPU/GPU intensive game (looking at you Total War:WARHAMMER) might be a no go...

...but still when I get home I NEED to play TW:Warhammer on simulated 100' screen. Please work please work.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theBeaz posted:

Great thread with no console-warrioring so far - yay!

So I tried using Big Screen to play a game... specifically XCOM2... and the game started lagging like crazy. I guess VR is already using the CPU/GPU up enough that a CPU/GPU intensive game (looking at you Total War:WARHAMMER) might be a no go...

...but still when I get home I NEED to play TW:Warhammer on simulated 100' screen. Please work please work.

Yeah, you gotta turn settings and stuff down, and BigScreen runs noticably worse than VD. But you can turn the resolution down to like 720 without losing anything so that helps a lot.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you have a rift and are itching to get in on the roomscale stuff on the cheap, before touch comes out, and you're willing to spend ~$50, here's how to do it:

Buy a leap motion, an extension cable, some putty and some velcro ties:
http://www.amazon.com/Leap-Motion-Controller-interaction-Packaging/dp/B0176M1GHA
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-22AWG-Extension-Cable-Female/dp/B019E0LIH0
http://www.amazon.com/Saunders-Removable-Adhesive-Putty-99683/dp/B0000AQODM
http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-ONE-WRAP-Reusable-Light/dp/B003WB6MYM

Optionally, get some masking tape and cut out a piece of masking tape the size of the leap. Take a picture of the front of your rift while on. You'll see some IR lights; put the tape in the center without blocking any of the lights.

Use the putty to mount the leap angled downwards onto the rift on top of the tape so it's mounted without blocking the lights. Then, take off the U-shaped plastic cable band and thread the longer leap cable through it. use the cable ties to attach the leap cable alongside the headset cable all the way back.

Go into Oculus Home, Options, "Allow Unknown Sources". Install SteamVR.
Download and install the Orion Beta drivers: https://developer.leapmotion.com/get-started
Download and install the Leap to Steam Controller drivers: https://github.com/cbuchner1/driver_leap/releases
Download and install blocks to make sure everything is working.: https://developer.leapmotion.com/gallery/blocks

Do the SteamVR Room setup. It can be tricky going through the prompts because you don't do it while wearing the headset (!!) but with a bit of ingenuity you should get it.

Load up The Lab. Keep your hands relaxed and palms facing you/each other, index finger to palm for the triggers and any of the other 3 for the side button. thumb to palm for the touchpad. Make a timeout T with your hand for the menu button and fingers together palm facing your face for the select button. The touchpad / teleport is wonky but you should be able to do most of the games.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Bhodi posted:

~Leap Motion info~

This really does work pretty well, considering. It's just not going to work for stuff like the archery demo that requires fine timing of the trigger buttons while not always looking at them, but xortex is pretty awesome with it, worth trying even if you have a vive even.

Also you can add launch options to the lab to jump straight into specific demos, -xortex for example. Audioshield is also 'playable' though a bit trickier. Supposedly the driver author is thinking about adding wiimote or psmove controllers for button/touchpad inputs, then continue using leap motion for positional tracking.

Meanwhile, there are also two separate drivers in development for using psmove controllers with dual ps-eye cameras (ps3) to emulate vive wands as well. I haven't gotten around to trying the one currently available, (too busy in assetto corsa/elite :v: ) but probably will try the second one which seems to be polished nicer. Supposedly will be published by the end of the month.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Lemming posted:

I also like the settings for moving the screen around better, VD doesn't give you as many options for positioning.

VD lets you put the screen anywhere at any angle if you set it to floating. Setting it to the ceiling while lying down on the couch to watch a movie is amazing. I bound a key to reset the position to my universal remote, but I really wish they would add Vive controller support.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rectus posted:

VD lets you put the screen anywhere at any angle if you set it to floating. Setting it to the ceiling while lying down on the couch to watch a movie is amazing. I bound a key to reset the position to my universal remote, but I really wish they would add Vive controller support.

Yeah, but Bigscreen lets you change the angle as well as the amount of curvature. You can sort of cheat that out with VD but it's definitely more of a hassle.

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

SteamVR is pretty buggy so you might need to try a bunch of things. First off is a restart. A few weeks ago, SteamVR would sometimes refuse to recognize I had the vive HDMI plugged in until I restarted. Next is bypass the link box and plug the HDMI directly into your video card. If none of that works, see if you can get it to work on someone else's machine. Last resort, see if you can use a different HDMI cable to plug into the Vive headset. Where top strap is attached, you can slide that bit of plastic forward until it comes off and unplug the HDMI cable and see if you can get a different one in there.

Lemming posted:

If you didn't do the last part and make sure it's connected firmly to the headset itself do that. I thought mine was hosed at first but it turned out it just arrived with the HDMI cable not firmly attached.

So after wasting an hour with HTC support i had another play around and got it working ! It looks as though it is the HDMI cable between the breakout box and the headset (though i could have sworn i'd tried that before) so many thanks for the idea. What is very weird is that after the headset is up and running i can swap back to the default cable and it carries on working. Very strange. Now to decide what to do about it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
"3Dception for Games", the industry standard tool for cross-platform 3D audio, has just been taken off the market because its creators have been bought by Facebook.

Developers are advised to use Oculus' 3D audio SDK instead. Which of course doesn't support PS4.

All in all this probably won't actually affect much, but I'm sure a few games which might have been hoping for an easy port job from PC VR to PSVR are now finding themselves SOL.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

edit: Whoops sorry wrong thread!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lemming posted:

I like it better than Venereal Disease because I like having it be a more physical location than hovering in space. I also like the settings for moving the screen around better, VD doesn't give you as many options for positioning. That might change with workshop stuff, but so far it's mostly 360 spheres. It also gives you the option to be in the same room as other people, which works pretty well and is pretty cool.

Thanks for the recommendation on this, it's really cool. I'm posting from INSIDE THE INTERNET right now. Or at least on some weird virtual balcony with a giant curved screen floating a few feet away from my face. It's bizarre but strangely satisfying.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Knifegrab posted:

Ah fair enough then. I think from their perspective it makes sense because while for the hardcore turbo nerds like us, yeah we could just use ReVIve but there are probably a solid number of users out there that will in effect be locked into that market place who wouldn't ever know or be bothered to deal with ReVive. That number is probably relatively low right now because most people involved are enthusiast but as VR gets more popular the more obstacles you put between a user and content the less likely they will be to access that content, which I think is what Oculus is hoping for.

This is a really temporary situation though. What you will see is when the Mom and Pop market arrives, they will get a Rift because it's simple and easy and it doesn't take over a whole room of your house, but the IT savvy nephew who introduced them to VR in the first place will be the one who sets it up, or tell them how to set it up at least, so that many if not most Rift users won't even install the Oculus software, since it will work out of the box with SteamVR. Oculus Home will become a tiny boutique store of over overpriced, sponsored "experiences" selling exclusively to the uninformed in a well informed age, making a pittance compared to Steam, who will continue to be Walmart.

edit: Can you even imagine what John Carmack must think of all this? The guy who wrote Quake C, a whole language for modders, a cornerstone of the modding community, then having modders and pirates lumped into the same group by some idiots who outrank him. Poor guy. Same goes for Luckey to an extent.

monkey fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 25, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

monkey posted:

edit: Can you even imagine what John Carmack must think of all this? The guy who wrote Quake C, a whole language for modders, a cornerstone of the modding community, then having modders and pirates lumped into the same group by some idiots who outrank him. Poor guy. Same goes for Luckey to an extent.

My guess would actually be something much simpler; order cancellations. Long term, it's nothing but beneficial to Oculus if Vive users buy from their store, but what with the Rift launch delays, good press Vive got, and now Vive being "order and get in a week or two", and, yeah, ReVive making Oculus exclusives playable on the Vive, they're probably getting a fair number of people cancelling their preorders and switching to the Vive. Maybe not a crushing number of cancellations, but I'm sure there's some if only because gamers are notoriously impatient, and that probably worries Oculus. These early months are going to be critical for long term adoption. And if they can't fix the launch delays, what they can do is make people skeptical they can really play all those shiny Oculus exclusives on a Vive if they switch their order.

I doubt any decision makers at a company as tech heavy as Oculus can't tell the difference between ReVive and Software piracy. Saying the update was to stop piracy was only a fig leaf to cover up its real purpose of stopping ReVive.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Asserting that they wrote that specifically to stop Revive sounds incredibly unlikely, since they would need to have implemented it over the course of the few weeks (which seems like an incredibly fast turnaround for a panic reaction), knowing it would be possible to break it very quickly. I'm sure they weren't sad that it broke Revive, but I highly doubt they did it specifically for that.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Carmack is full steam ahead on mobile VR, which is a bit mystifying to be honest because mobile VR is always going to be a second-rate experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think he just wants the challenge of making mobile VR be good. He's been working on an inside-out positional tracking system using the phone camera.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I think he just wants the challenge of making mobile VR be good. He's been working on an inside-out positional tracking system using the phone camera.

His perspective is that mobile VR is how VR is going to reach the most people, so he wants to work on the hard problems in that area that are holding it back, the biggest one being inside-out tracking.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

More VR is a good thing, but if I'm at home I would probably want to use good vr and not mobile vr (which might be ok vr but definitively not good vr). I have a hard time seeing anyone use VR outside of the home for a really long time.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Yeah right, I'm gonna be that rear end in a top hat using VR goggles on the train and I'd like to see somebody try and stop me (except I can't see obvs).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's not about using it outside your house, it's about having a self-contained device that can do everything. People aren't going to buy Rifts or Vives and hook them up to their 1000 dollar computers, but if they could just slide their phone into a device that costs 100-200 and does everything, just not as powerfully, that's a way to get a lot more people using VR. It'd be like GearVR on steroids if they could get inside out tracking working well.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have faith that John Carmack is going to make inside-out tracking work perfectly and turn the GearVR into an awesome device.

I don't have faith in Samsung learning how to make a mobile device that doesn't overheat in 10 minutes and become a frame skipping vomit machine.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

I have faith that John Carmack is going to make inside-out tracking work perfectly and turn the GearVR into an awesome device.

I don't have faith in Samsung learning how to make a mobile device that doesn't overheat in 10 minutes and become a frame skipping vomit machine.

It'll have to be new hardware unfortunately, from what I've gleaned it requires at least two cameras so far.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

It'll have to be new hardware unfortunately, from what I've gleaned it requires at least two cameras so far.

The more cameras the better, cyber punk owns and I don't care who disagrees.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Hierophant posted:

Carmack is full steam ahead on mobile VR, which is a bit mystifying to be honest because mobile VR is always going to be a second-rate experience.
No one will ever need more than 640k of RAM.

Mobile VR is the future. Just farther in the future than PC VR.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
VR Pool is coming, with multiplayer June 1st. I enjoyed their 3d version of the game, and this looks to be even better in VR.

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/05/pool-nation-vr-launch-date-has-now-been-confirmed/

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Hamelekim posted:

VR Pool is coming, with multiplayer June 1st. I enjoyed their 3d version of the game, and this looks to be even better in VR.

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/05/pool-nation-vr-launch-date-has-now-been-confirmed/

quote:

Pool Nation VR isn’t just about playing traditional pool. Set in a fully detailed bar, players will be able to interact with all sorts of objects lying around, setup trick shots, play virtual darts, smash bottles and play snooker.
my kinda pool hall

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

nelson posted:

No one will ever need more than 640k of RAM.

Mobile VR is the future. Just farther in the future than PC VR.

I have a really hard time seeing it work out that way.

I mean, in a way yes, but in a different way no, at least not the way we think of mobile today.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mordaedil posted:

I have a really hard time seeing it work out that way.

I mean, in a way yes, but in a different way no, at least not the way we think of mobile today.

You generally stick to certain areas, so they will be mapped fully at some point. So your device will be able to orient itself based on its surroundings relatively easily, given powerful enough sensors and processors. Googles technology for mapping the environment is probably the best to use, but I'm sure stereo cameras or something similar would work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Google Glass style mobile augmented reality will probably eventually happen, but I don't think "mobile" VR where you slide your phone into a glorified viewmaster has much of a future. The lower end of the VR market will get taken over by console VR, whether that's by gaming consoles like the PSVR or by cheap Apple-tv style VR consoles.